Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110528 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2014, 04:58:31 pm »

A suggestion for anybody annoyed by discipline:

You can just set in the RAWs [NATURAL_SKILL:[skill token]:[level of skill]]. It goes in the creature files.

So if you want some discipline, but you don't want ridiculous extremes like recruits running away from piglets or whatever, just set a natural skill level of, like 3, or I don't know (needs testing). And then also add that to goblins and so forth.

Testing with skill level of 2. Will be better than having everyone flee from non-hostile animals.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2014, 05:02:50 pm »

You have no idea how badly I want the stable version of this release to be called 40.d

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2014, 05:19:33 pm »

Dwarves refused to brew foxtail millet (Brew Drink redded out) but when the plump helmet crop came in they were able to brew plump helmets normally and went on to brew the foxtail millet.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2014, 05:42:51 pm »

I tried everything at default, except that the worldgen was crawling so I aborted at 100 years... very very slow running.  I managed to get two passageways dug and a ditch around 1/4 of the 2x2 embark before I tried digging into a tree root.  The tree vanished - no wood, no nothing, and 15 seconds later I tried to do a d t (cut trees) and got:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   Dwarf Fortress.exe
  Application Version:   0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:   53bb189a
  Fault Module Name:   MSVCR100.dll
  Fault Module Version:   10.0.30319.1
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4ba1dbbe
  Exception Code:   40000015
  Exception Offset:   0008d635
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   53ab
  Additional Information 2:   53ab78575e4e4ce741bf82bee235390b
  Additional Information 3:   8570
  Additional Information 4:   85707b5bc3d3ebd2a36eeb13bccf7c0c

That's all she wrote, since I had been afraid to save lest I wait through another two-week update on the restore.  (and the fort was no loss...)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2014, 06:29:55 pm »

I love the new trees, especially the fruit trees.Anybody knows how to harvest fruit?

Advice, if embarking with military dorfs give them some skill points in discipline. Otherwise they might run from wild turkeys in terror.
Yeah, I've drafted my entire population in order to boost Discipline just so they don't run in utter panic from EVERYTHING.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »

Multi-tile Trees : they're beautiful :D   [ninja'd]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[Edit] Well i've found a bug : my escape key has stopped working - alt tabbing or something ?
[upate ] well goddamn it: it was photoshop! : http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5444#c21190
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:53:49 pm by hjd_uk »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2014, 06:37:04 pm »

I love the new trees, especially the fruit trees.Anybody knows how to harvest fruit?

No way to harvest fruit yet. Apparently it just falls off the trees overtime, but I'm not sure if that's actually the case or not.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:34 pm »

I'm surprised at the ungodly amount of wood coming out of trees. I've only chopped down a few sand pear trees and I already have more than 99 sand pear logs. :D
My dreams of Wood Dwarves will finally be realized!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2014, 06:46:18 pm »

I'm sure its been reported in a hundred places but I'm getting lots of insta-crashes from greeting folks :> I also worry about the tileset people being able to make tree tiles (hopefully it won't be too much trouble!) I also feel sorry for Meph having the daunting task of either making Masterwork fit around this update, or this update fit around Masterwork ;)

From the things I've played with in-game before crashes and from a couple spoiler threads, this is truly a menacing update indeed :> Lots of meat on the Adventure-mode bone now :D

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

Caverns are amazing as well.

Walrusking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »

Ooh! So trees grow in the water in caverns?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:08 pm »

They aren't trees, they are giant mushrooms!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18:03 pm »

They aren't trees, they are giant mushrooms!

Actually, no, fungiwood is a tree. Goblin cap and black cap are giant mushrooms, yes, but it doesn't have to be that to grow in the water. All it needs is:
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
...as fungiwood serves as an example of (they're in the above screenshot, you can see the leaves)

edit: also, apparently, if you add LAKE biomes to surface trees, they will now grow in the middle of lakes. Which is pretty cool and useful.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:36:49 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:52 pm »

One of my dwarves was killed by a cyclops, who then recoiled in horror at the sight of the dwarf he had just smashed.  My military went out and defeated the cyclops.  Then some time later a dwarf cancelled his job because of emotional trauma.  He had just found the first dwarf who died, who was his wife.  Apparently seeing the corpse of his wife caused him to break down.  Now I feel bad for my small imaginary minion. 

Unfortunately the game crashes soon after that, so she can't even have a proper burial. 

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »

Crashed when I entered a lair outside of town and there was a peasant in it. he started crying, he left, then boom. Other than that I am enjoying what Toady has done. Its like a rough block of marble and Toady is the sculptor.

Just crashed again when I tried when I shouted out to everybody but I couldn't see nobody.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:03:36 pm by Uristits »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44