Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110539 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:09 am »

It was a sparrow woman.  Apparently a sparrow woman plummeted to her death I guess (???  I seriously have no idea how she died, can't even find a corpse) and he saw it and ran away from his duties.

Flying creatures currently have problems with trees, so sometimes they slam into them and die. It's utterly hilarious, but it can cause interruptions.
It's not just trees I've had a raven smash into my fortress wall and lose consciousness. It only got bruises though.

Probably Toady has implemented flying as perpetual jumping and they just can't correct their collision course.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Bates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2014, 11:04:56 am »

Soooo, embark here?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:08:46 am by Bates »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2014, 11:09:31 am »

I'm excited about the hemp industry.

I think my fort is only going to export hemp and hemp related products.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2014, 11:23:11 am »

Tried to reclaim a worldgen fort, and my starting seven were immediately mobbed by the reanimated corpses of the former tenants. My two hammerdwarves didn't stand a chance, even when I drafted the miner and the woodcutter. What I saw of the fortress was pretty cool though.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2014, 11:38:18 am »

Dear God.  It reminds me of the conversations in Oblivion.

Goblin: I saw a magma crab near the lava the other day.  I steered clear of it.

Goblin 2: I died.

Goblin: Stop talking to me!

Ditto on the wood. I had embarked in a wasteland with sparse trees and had forgot to bring wood with me. Problem solved!  At least for now.

Two of my dorfs were horrified when  a mosquito man flew into a tree and exploded into ludicrous gibs.

ETA: First migrants arrived.  None are hostile. Three adults (married coupe and a single) and SIX kids.  Well, I can see what the couple do when not hunting and fishing :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:44:32 am by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2014, 12:17:13 pm »

Trying to generate a massive world of extremes is taking forever to accomplish.

While some parts of the worldspinner seem more congenial toward being set on 11, other parts aren't

Maybe setting the number of civs at maximum was a bad idea?  Just that with the new interaction code, a large number of civs + a very long worldgen period should produce lots of war and other fun...

Sadly, 2000+ rejects, each after trying to calculate water, and the like.  Keeps failing when placing civs.  :(

*edit

Spoke a bit too soon. FINALLY hit history generation! But OMG it calculates sooo sloow... LOL  This should be good, if the worldspinner is grunting so hard at year 3! lol
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:21:21 pm by wierd »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2014, 12:24:55 pm »

I've just tried to talk to a dwarf near where I started in Adventure mode. He immediately said "I hate you" and spit at me. Naturally, I blocked the flying Zuglar Coalrack's dwarf spit with my bronze shield. He seems to spit on each line of dialogue... So apparently this trains dodging. Wonder what happens if I get hit.

EDIT: Also, he joined my party in an insurrection just after declaring that the current rule was "for the best."

EDIT2: This dialogue just occurred:
Code: [Select]
@: Soon we will set the world right.
1: I hate you.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:27:48 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:00 pm »

It was a sparrow woman.  Apparently a sparrow woman plummeted to her death I guess (???  I seriously have no idea how she died, can't even find a corpse) and he saw it and ran away from his duties.

Flying creatures currently have problems with trees, so sometimes they slam into them and die. It's utterly hilarious, but it can cause interruptions.

Perhaps this is how we can weaponise trees: leave them as they are and use them as a kind of barrage balloon against attacking fliers.

Could also build your own out of stone but honestly, that's much less fun.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2014, 12:29:20 pm »

I, for one, enjoy the mischief my dwarves make, climbing trees. It gives my doctor something to do...

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »

I have just witnessed a kangaroo running away from a stray turkey, climbing an apple tree, then dying a horrible death being scratched until bleeding out. Also hoofed animals are deadlier than ever.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »

So... Turns out all of those forges on abandoned forts add up to a lot of wealth.

In related news goblin cowardice probably ought to be dialed back. Of the five goblins sieging me, two, a mace man and and axe, have fled the field in terror of one of my untrained dogs. They briefly rallied, but then the dog regained consciousness and now they are gone. I just saw one of the crossbowmen curl up in to a ball in fear of the dog who is currently unable to walk.

EDIT: The cowering crossbowman eventually fled as well. The remaining crossbowman, having finally killed the dog, decided his work here was done and left the map. All that remains of the siege is an unarmed goblin recruit who refuses to come down from his tree for no discernible reason.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:08:52 pm by Awessum Possum »
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:11 pm »

Necromancers. So many necromancers.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »

Yeah, worldgen with lots of civs is ... time consuming.

Managed to build a stable fort, water supply, well, magma, all good there.

Trees are certainly entertaining, haven't run into any issues with wood stockpiling, but I have seen random creature damage (like when they arrive on the map) which is odd.

And this map appears to only have Galena, which is supremely disappointing.  I had one crash, related to designating a zone and assigning migrant animals to it, before they stopped "blinking X".  I waited until they stopped blinking, did it again, all good.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

So things I am happy about:

1. More mundane/work related injuries from trees = more experienced doctors
2. More logs per tree since I tend to build large realistic above ground fortresses
3. Discipline affecting fear...which means veterans vs militias (and militaries in general) are a lot more realistic

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2014, 01:50:54 pm »

I can plant Dimple Cup, Quarry Bush, Sweet Pod, Cave Wheat, Pig Tail and Plump Helmet in a glacial biome underground.

OK, whoever said "When it's summer you will be able to plant..." was right.  My second fortress (first one can't be loaded from save file) had the same 4 crops listed for every season, when it was currently spring.  But now that it is summer, the same plots have new options in every season: cave wheat and pig tails.

I've set a plot to plant pig tails in every season, and I'll set another to plant cave wheat in every season, and see what happens.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 44