Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110569 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2014, 08:24:21 am »

I wonder exactly how and what these root systems are for. Just modelling the world more, or what?

My murky ponds consist of 90% tree roots (with ground over them, like dirt filled in cracks)

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:22 am »

found a bug. my yaks keep getting terrified for no reason and run away from my pasture. when I haul them back, they get terrified again, starting an endless loop.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2014, 08:58:14 am »

Just started my fort.  Decided to leave off my usual evil/freezing embarks for something more tame as I get used to the new stuff, so was very confused when while watching my dorfs do beginning dorf things I get the message "Urist McWoodcutter cancels Gather Plants: Horrified".

Horrified of what?  I looked around, confused.  Yeah, the surroundings are savage, but it's normal coniferous forest and mountain.  The mountains are good, even.  Nothing but some sparrow people.  Everyone's alive and well.  I looked at his thoughts - "has witnessed death lately".  Whaaat?  But everyone's alive--oh, there's one Dead/Missing.  What?

It was a sparrow woman.  Apparently a sparrow woman plummeted to her death I guess (???  I seriously have no idea how she died, can't even find a corpse) and he saw it and ran away from his duties.

Okay then.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2014, 09:01:13 am »

It was a sparrow woman.  Apparently a sparrow woman plummeted to her death I guess (???  I seriously have no idea how she died, can't even find a corpse) and he saw it and ran away from his duties.

Flying creatures currently have problems with trees, so sometimes they slam into them and die. It's utterly hilarious, but it can cause interruptions.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2014, 09:08:09 am »

I'm hoping Toady gets the flying things flying into trees bug fixed pretty quickly, because the mod I like to play has lots of flying creatures as part of the playable species.  As funny as it might be to have my wood cutter flying to his death into trees, that's kind of game breaking.  :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:04 am »

Just started up, fortress name? Roughdeath.

Yeah, this is gonna be !FUN!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2014, 09:49:15 am »

this just in "trees are not your friend and might just fall on things"

Yup.  I suddenly had a combat report about my stoneworker having wood fallon her.  Her leg and hip are broken now.  Also have experienced the exploding fliers.  I think the elves are behind these issues!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2014, 10:16:13 am »

OK, I'm pretty happy that there are more logs per tree now, but 40+ logs per tree is a little strong... O.o
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2014, 10:21:38 am »

Larger worlds have terrible FPS (Small and larger cause it), and my dwarves keep standing on the tiles they're trying to make walls on, despite valid tiles surrounding the tile.

I believe this was an issue even in the last version. Just cancel and redo the constructions that get stuck like this, unfortunately.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2014, 10:28:41 am »

Everyone! Babies no longer generate those irritating announcements!  Hooray!
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2014, 10:32:45 am »

Just remembered another problem. I keep getting 'a collapse has happened somewhere on the surface', which pauses the game.

There aren't ANY collapses on the surface. Nothing is collapsing.

I wonder exactly how and what these root systems are for. Just modelling the world more, or what?

My murky ponds consist of 90% tree roots (with ground over them, like dirt filled in cracks)

I found that when I mined out enough of a tree's roots, it fell over, and I'm pretty sure I got that message about something collapsing on the surface. This may be a safer way to fell trees so they don't fall on your woodcutters, and also, hopefully, an opportunity for weaponization.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:53 am »

...Can anyone else plant Cave Wheat?  Because I can't.
My dwarves need their Cream of Cave Wheat.

I am in the spring of my first year, and I have some underground farm plots.  Every season has the same options:
  • Dimple cups
  • Quarry bushes
  • Sweet pods
  • Plump helmets

I have no idea how to plant the other seeds I brought (cave wheat and pig tail).

Bushes tell you what type of plant they are!  Looking at them reveals "Sweet pods", "Cave wheat", "Pig tails", etc.

What I miss the most right now is DFhack's "stable cursor".
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:38:33 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

...Can anyone else plant Cave Wheat?  Because I can't.
My dwarves need their Cream of Cave Wheat.

I am in the spring of my first year, and I have some underground farm plots.  Every season has the same options:
  • Dimple cups
  • Quarry bushes
  • Sweet pods
  • Plump helmets

I have no idea how to plant the other seeds I brought (cave wheat and pig tail).

Bushes tell you what type of plant they are!  Looking at them reveals "Sweet pods", "Cave wheat", "Pig tails", etc.

I can plant Dimple Cup, Quarry Bush, Sweet Pod, Cave Wheat, Pig Tail and Plump Helmet in a glacial biome underground.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:31 am »

Larger worlds have terrible FPS (Small and larger cause it), and my dwarves keep standing on the tiles they're trying to make walls on, despite valid tiles surrounding the tile.

I believe this was an issue even in the last version. Just cancel and redo the constructions that get stuck like this, unfortunately.

Edit: Blah, server ate my post.  Anyway, I was hoping this was fixed with the rewrites, but apparently not.  It's been broken for years now.  :(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:52:01 am by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:06 am »

I started adventuring.
Got to the human town, found the leader.
Kicked the teeth out of his guard's face.
Guard ran in fear. Leader did not move an inch nor said anything.
Killed the leader, took his corpse. Got to some local building with lots of people inside. Thrown the body onto someone. Everyone ran away except for the guy I've threw the body into.
I talked to the guy, claimed the site for myself, than gave the title to him. He gladly accepted.
Then, the peasants that ran moments ago came back & kicked my ass, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain apart.
*AWESOME*.

But the main impression is 50/50:
The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
or
500 internal server error.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44