Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: DF2014 fresh out of release screenshot share thread  (Read 24603 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 fresh out of release screenshot share thread
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »

Found an elven trade tree.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's one tree.
Good god, imagine how many logs it would produce upon cutting down!
._.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »

I'm turning into an elf. These trees are beautiful:
Awesome. How high is it?
The trade trees are about 5-6 zs high, though they don't seem to have much trunk up there.
The tree in the pic above is 10 z-levels. I'm think it's the home tree, hut it could be just another shaping tree.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:02:30 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2014, 04:17:47 pm »

That's one tree.
Colonel Miles Quaritch: That is one big damn tree!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2014, 04:29:47 am »

I was digging through legends and found an interesting item, even if it's not new to this release.

Not only does it have the secrets of life and death, it's also made of solid adamantine. Talk about a generous god.

Also, the god who created it is probably Nurgle - his spheres include murder, death, disease, blight, duty, order, and discipline.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2014, 05:07:56 am »

So it's extremely valuable AND easy to carry?
But seriously, I haven't seen an adamantine slab yet. Is that supposed to happen?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2014, 05:53:35 am »

I was digging through legends and found an interesting item, even if it's not new to this release.

Not only does it have the secrets of life and death, it's also made of solid adamantine. Talk about a generous god.

Also, the god who created it is probably Nurgle - his spheres include murder, death, disease, blight, duty, order, and discipline.

Did you mod your game? Adamantine is not supposed to be used by necros or demons.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2014, 06:02:07 am »

Did you mod your game? Adamantine is not supposed to be used by necros or demons.
Nope. This is a completely clean release of 40.03.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2014, 08:49:12 am »

I had a world with an adamantine slab before. Back in .34 one of my dwarves made an artifact with an image of  the slab on it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2014, 02:04:01 pm »

Actually, it was Ág. But you have a god named Nurgle?

MasacruAlex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »

Looking at those pics I feel bad seeing how all of you play with the default ASCII :P while I use a map pack  :( :(

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:20 pm »

Looking at those pics I feel bad seeing how all of you play with the default ASCII :P while I use a map pack  :( :(
edit:bad image I got, whatever.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:40 pm »

When I first started playing DF I used texture packs. Over time and as I played other roguelikes that used ASCii I just grew used to it and eventually came to prefer it. Different strokes for different folks. I've seen lots of people use texture packs, so it's not like it's bad or anything.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:56 am »

Spoiler: OH GOD THE NEWS (click to show/hide)
Well... Rera Runsevers thinks he's hot shit, does he? That's why he got bored and ran away from my impenetrable trench fortress of wood walls and bridges while my dwarves sat cozy farming and getting drunk and doing all kinds of dwarf things right underneath him for most of a year.
Sucka. (I really hope Toady adds ladders and seige towers that can help them path up more than one z-level, I don't like winning so easily :()
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2014, 12:54:46 am »

Spoiler: OH GOD THE NEWS (click to show/hide)
Well... Rera Runsevers thinks he's hot shit, does he? That's why he got bored and ran away from my impenetrable trench fortress of wood walls and bridges while my dwarves sat cozy farming and getting drunk and doing all kinds of dwarf things right underneath him for most of a year.
Sucka. (I really hope Toady adds ladders and seige towers that can help them path up more than one z-level, I don't like winning so easily :()
Better siege, including digging when appropriate, is planned.
Quote from: DFTalk Combined Transcript (cmd+f 'siege tower'
Capntastic:   I've never really had problems with sieges it's always self-sabotage that causes problems really. I dunno, it's pretty fun just to have waves of guys running into your swords, but I'm looking forward to in the future them being a bit more clever, I guess? A little bit more planning involved.
Rainseeker:   Yeah, because, right now the way I defend against a siege is I ignore it, pretty much; [1b]I put up a bunch of traps and they all die, then they run away.
Toady:   Yeah, right now they're ridiculous. Just kind of a meat grinder simulator. Any time you've got people taking a core game mechanic and treating it like it's sort of an optional challenge - are you going to build traps or not, because then sieges matter, or they don't - that's something that needs to be fixed. It's always been the plan to fix that and there's a million different ways to do that that are all going to be coming up. After this big release we're going to work on making sieges better and a lot of the things you guys said are in the works, and more beside that. So there's the notion of nerfing traps because obviously they're a little overpowered right now, and how we'd do that ... probably just make more mechanisms necessary, more map tiles necessary, so you can't just make a trap, you'd actually have to create a trap from some more pieces. I don't know if there might be templates to make that an easier process but certainly just having a weapon trap existing in a square without having to put something in a wall or put something in a floor is kind of strange, and having a stone-fall trap exist in a square out in the middle of a room with no ceiling ... what does that even mean? Is it shooting up from the ground and then landing on top of them? It's kind of weird. So just changing that would be helpful, but then also having the siegers be able to learn from their mistakes ... like when they send people in they should have an idea - it's a little complicated thinking about how they analyse the map and so on, but you can take some steps in that direction - and then if they have a notion of sending a group of people into a certain direction and then all those people die, if they know why then they should be able to adapt their strategy. If they just get ground by traps then they'd either have some counter-measure for that kind of trap or they just wouldn't go that way again. Ultimately there should be counter-measures for every kind of terrain, every kind of trap, every kind of weapon, to the point where you should have to adapt. You shouldn't expect to be able to just win every siege with some kind of static defence that you haven't been changing at all. There [are] always going to be very clever things people do that we constantly have to adapt to, but as far as the basic defences that are provided by the game, it's not like any of those should be sure things; it's not like we want every siege to destroy you, but they should have a chance to be able to do something. And there's a list of other things, the siegers in general are very poorly skilled compared to your dwarves, and they don't have a notion of which direction they're attacking from, they don't use any siege engines, they don't know how to make little bridges, or pile up dirt against a wall, or bring a siege tower against a wall ... There's a lot of things that they could afford to learn, and there's also the use of large monsters and things that are in a fantasy world that provide benefit, such as things that fly or things that can dig, which I know is a contentious issue, whether or not they would be able to dig, which is kind of a crucial thing when you're considering attacking a mountain. If you don't have other options and you have a lot of time, then digging is a pretty good idea, [but] at the same time I know there's kind of this aesthetics issue, you don't want people to just be able to destroy your own fortress sometimes. What we're thinking is having it default 'on', and if you turn off digging siegers then you can't really expect to do that well; it's all a matter of what people want out of the game, some people don't care about sieges at all and would just as soon turn them off and just like making their fortress and so on. [In summary], we're planning to support that kind of stuff.
Rainseeker:   I think it that it'd be neat if you allowed us to restore walls - like they're caving in little segments of wall - so that once the siege is gone you could restore your fortress to its former beauty, you know for the people that are annoyed by the digging.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:00:08 am by Alev »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2014, 06:51:37 pm »

Lots of willow trees near a brook just lost their willow fruits :
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12