Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327003 times)

jason0320

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2655 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:24 am »

Would it be possible to make a tank in a workshop?
You can make a tank creature with tank part and cannon ball firing interaction.
Or a tank workshop with dwarf transform into pseudo "tank operator" that has cannon ball firing interaction.

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
  • ENEMIES! We Need Enemies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: May 29, 2015, 10:51:41 am »

and how would i make the dwarf turn into the tank operator?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: May 29, 2015, 11:35:27 am »

Make a stone that immediately boils, and give it a syndrome that makes the creature caught in it transform into the tank creature.

Make a workshop, with a reaction that creates the stone.

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: May 29, 2015, 11:43:58 am »

could i make it so it will only affect one creature? otherwise i could my whole fortress into tanks.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: May 29, 2015, 11:51:04 am »

You can make syndromes affect only one type of creature, caste, or class of creatures.

The gas created by the reaction shouldn't be too much larger than a 3x3 workshop though, and clears away quickly.

Zombiecow99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: May 29, 2015, 11:52:53 am »

ok thanks you can expect more questions later on though.

davetriesmakingmods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:33 pm »

I want to create a syndrome that has a complementary vaccine of sorts.

Say I give cow bites a syndrome COW_DISEASE that causes nausea, I want to also have a COW_DISEASE_VACCINE syndrome/reaction/something that will protect dwarves from the effects of COW_DISEASE for a limited amount of time.

The only approach I've thought of is to have COW_DISEASE cause CE_NAUSEA and COW_DISEASE_VACCINE add the tag NONAUSEA. I'd really prefer to make it more specific than that, i.e. a dwarf is protected from nausea caused by COW_DISEASE but not by anything else. 

Is there another way to go about this? 

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: May 29, 2015, 01:43:02 pm »

IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS in an interaction along with a syndrome that has the proper SYN_CLASS should work.

davetriesmakingmods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: May 29, 2015, 01:56:48 pm »

IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS in an interaction along with a syndrome that has the proper SYN_CLASS should work.

Awesome! Thank you

davetriesmakingmods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: May 29, 2015, 02:47:52 pm »

Ok, two more things I'd like to figure out how to do:

1. Apply a syndrome to dwarves when they're above ground outside.

I thought I might attach it to above-ground plants and grass? Maybe a syndrome-inducing interaction triggered on grass trample? (Can I set grass's trample threshold really low and make it's regeneration rate very high?)

Or maybe have a certain syndrome-inducing plant part on trees and above-ground plants that explosively boils? (And regrows quickly?) 

Is there a way I can use evil rain for this? Like force world gen params to make only evil regions, then use the raws to force a specific flavor of evil rain? (i.e. only make evil rain that applies this specific syndrome?).

Or perhaps instead of a syndrome applying outside, I could have a permanent or frequently-occurring syndrome that sets all dwarves' cave adaptation super high, making them immediately vomit whenever they go outside?

2. Force dwarves passing through an area to acquire a syndrome

This plays into my last question, as I want a way to apply a syndrome that is the "vaccine" to the "going outside is awful" syndrome. Could this take the form of a custom building with an action required in order to pass through? Maybe a workshop with all blocked tiles and one reaction, a reaction that applies both the desired syndrome to the dwarf and a different syndrome to the workshop itself to temporarily change its body to a different workshop with all unblocked tiles? Sort of a locked door that needs to be manually unlocked each time.

What about a restrained or pastured custom animal that uses an interaction to apply the syndrome to anything walking near it? Maybe a weapon trap, triggered by dwarves, that contains a syndrome-applying weapon? Can pressure plates cause syndromes?

(Sorry I'm just brainstorming out loud here; I'm really new to modding (and DF generally) and don't quite have a grasp on what things are possible)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: May 29, 2015, 03:12:08 pm »

1. CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT is your friend. When it's at 0, they're guaranteed to be outside. Grass trample cannot cause syndromes. Syndromes cannot cause cave adaption; they can only do what is listed on this page.

2. No, that wouldn't work. Workshops cannot have syndromes applied to them, they can only be applied to creatures. Pressure plates cannot cause syndromes, they can only be applied by interactions, inhaling gases, injection by attacks, ingestion of item made of material or contact with spatters only (not grass or anything).

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: May 29, 2015, 03:29:38 pm »

@davetriesmakingmods, if you can get Putnam or one of the other modding ninjas to say "Yeah, that works exactly the way you thought it did" then you win the thread for the day :)

If you can Quietust say that, then you win the forum for the day :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

davetriesmakingmods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: May 29, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »

1. CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:CAVE_ADAPT is your friend. When it's at 0, they're guaranteed to be outside. Grass trample cannot cause syndromes. Syndromes cannot cause cave adaption; they can only do what is listed on this page.

2. No, that wouldn't work. Workshops cannot have syndromes applied to them, they can only be applied to creatures. Pressure plates cannot cause syndromes, they can only be applied by interactions, inhaling gases, injection by attacks, ingestion of item made of material or contact with spatters only (not grass or anything).

Thanks! I had seen the CAVE_ADAPT token on the Syndromes page, but it hadn't registered that that was a value I used as a trigger, I assumed it was a value I could set. That actually simplifies my problem substantially! Awesome.

Ok, so it sounds like I need to find a different approach for the vaccine part. Maybe instead of a specific action dwarves do to get the antidote, I could tie it to alcohol consumption. If ALCOHOLIC is over some threshold, undo the vaccine effect, or perhaps make all alcohol have a syndrome on ingestion that triggers the vaccine. Sort of mimic the way the British in India used quinine to prevent malaria: you have to take it frequently, or else you're at risk if you go outside.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:28 pm »

You cannot undo syndromes, only immunize against them or have them be temporary. Having high ALCOHOLIC does what you seem to want anyway, however.

(this is one of the weirdest syndrome limitations)

davetriesmakingmods

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: May 29, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »

You cannot undo syndromes, only immunize against them or have them be temporary. Having high ALCOHOLIC does what you seem to want anyway, however.

(this is one of the weirdest syndrome limitations)

Interesting. So what happens if I get S1 that causes Nausea, and then later get S2 that adds the tag NONAUSEA? Does the first one stick around?
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 247