Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327129 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2475 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:30 pm »

Hello.

I am working on a secret project. It is a secret because the person is a secret for may frequent this forum.

I essentially need this thing's skull to have a second skull wrapped around it. I am new to body part modding. What is the best way to do this?

:EDIT:

I mean, as a distinct example let's say I want to give a dwarf two separate layers of bone on his skull. How would this be done?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:36:52 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: April 25, 2015, 04:17:48 pm »

Hello.

I am working on a secret project. It is a secret because the person is a secret for may frequent this forum.

I essentially need this thing's skull to have a second skull wrapped around it. I am new to body part modding. What is the best way to do this?

I mean, as a distinct example let's say I want to give a dwarf two separate layers of bone on his skull. How would this be done?
Your distinct example is actually done completely differently then having 2 skulls one of which surrounds the other because skulls are a specific bodypart. Tissues on the other hand simply occupy bodyparts.
You will find the following line in b_detail_plan:
Code: (STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS) [Select]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:100]This is what makes the skull wrap around the entire brain. Here are the steps that I would take.
  • Copy the bodypart entry for SKULL but DO NOT use the SKULL category for it(I will be using XSKULL as the category). Also rename it.
  • Go into b_detail_plan and
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:DOUBLESKULL]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:100]
  • Put the special skull bodypart after the regular one on your creature.
  • Call the special skull bodydetail plan (DOUBLESKULL) in your creature after the standard_head_positions bp
  • We must now apply tissues to this new category/bodypart. You can do this by putting the relevant lines in a bodydetailplan that you will use for this creature (like DOUBLESKULL) or place the tissues in this creature yourself.
Code: (VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS example) [Select]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:ARG4:100]copied wholesale from regular skull line
Code: (In creature after bodyparts, materials, and tissues defined) [Select]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:BONE]
To add a second bone layer to the skull put this [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:BONE] on the creature after all the important body setup. Several bodydetail plans more or less have this line already so this bone layer will be outside of the original one. This will not make the skull any larger however.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:24:00 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: April 25, 2015, 04:31:11 pm »

1st question

[REAGENT:leather:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]

Is there any readme to read what is each of those ? I get that those are fuctions arguments (i did some coding earlier). Sure i can figure out that first one is name 3rd is object type but 2 and rest and unknown to me.

Also wiki page on Item types and where to find relevant sub_types in vanilla DF.
2nd question

I noticed that when you butcher animal in adv mode it uses all objects which have edge.
I assume that this has to do something with [HAS_EDGE] tag (if it type that correctly)

if i would use something like [REAGENT:sharpobject:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_EDGE] would this mean that this would use any object with edge ?
No. Relevant tokens are on the wiki page. Seems reactions can't require reagents to have an edge but can force products to be made with one.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: April 25, 2015, 04:43:32 pm »

Hello.

Your distinct example is actually done completely differently then having 2 skulls one of which surrounds the other because skulls are a specific bodypart. Tissues on the other hand simply occupy bodyparts.
You will find the following line in b_detail_plan:
Code: (STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS) [Select]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:100]This is what makes the skull wrap around the entire brain. Here are the steps that I would take.
  • Copy the bodypart entry for SKULL but DO NOT use the SKULL category for it(I will be using XSKULL as the category). Also rename it.
  • Go into b_detail_plan and
Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:DOUBLESKULL]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:100]
  • Put the special skull bodypart after the regular one on your creature.
  • Call the special skull bodydetail plan (DOUBLESKULL) in your creature after the standard_head_positions bp
  • We must now apply tissues to this new category/bodypart. You can do this by putting the relevant lines in a bodydetailplan that you will use for this creature (like DOUBLESKULL) or place the tissues in this creature yourself.
Code: (VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS example) [Select]
[BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:ARG4:100]copied wholesale from regular skull line
Code: (In creature after bodyparts, materials, and tissues defined) [Select]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:XSKULL:BONE]
To add a second bone layer to the skull put this [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:BONE] on the creature after all the important body setup. Several bodydetail plans more or less have this line already so this bone layer will be outside of the original one. This will not make the skull any larger however.

That is amazing and I really, really appreciate your help.  :)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:04 pm »

If I add a weapon to a entity file like daggers to dwarves that will allow Dagger dwarves to spawn right? I want to make sure I can spawn soldiers that will weild knives other than goblins.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: April 25, 2015, 07:46:16 pm »

Yes, as long as you gen a new world after making the change.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #2481 on: April 25, 2015, 10:29:56 pm »

If I add a weapon to a entity file like daggers to dwarves that will allow Dagger dwarves to spawn right? I want to make sure I can spawn soldiers that will wield knives other than goblins.
you can also give a civilization's creature some baseline skills, maybe ensure that all citizens know basic knife-fighting. Elves good at tracking, centaurs good at kicking and archery, Nord humans good at wrestling...
   [NATURAL_SKILL:TRACKER:1]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:KNOWLEDGE_ACQUISITION:2]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:2]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:DAGGER:2]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: April 26, 2015, 04:30:35 am »

Do ranged weapons require to be wielded one handed to be reloadable? (e.g. is [TWO_HANDED:0]  necessary to make ranged weapon properly used by anyone?)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:32:05 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:28 am »

help
thanks !

Also i have other question.

I am trying to deal with leather armors. So kind of monster hunterlike mod. Which means i think i need different densities and values for different leathers depending from which animal it comes.

As i've read all leathers have 500 density. So all creatures be it rhino or cock have same value for its skin and from defensive side of things it means that i can  kill rhino with sword without problems where in real life it's skin is thick and way harder than for example human skin.

Is there a way to edit template or individual creatures to have different skin values ? From what i see in raws all of them use template...

Also does LAYER SIZE in armors have something to do with defense it provides ? Because few people says so but there isn't any science behind it as far as i researched.

I mean let's say that i want to create 2 armors.

1 normal leather armor.
2 studded leather armor.

let's say everything beside layer size is the same.

I give first layer size 10
second layer size 20

Does studded leather will be better at receiving blows ?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:26:11 am by perkel »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: April 26, 2015, 06:53:32 am »

Is there a way to edit template or individual creatures to have different skin values ? From what i see in raws all of them use template...
Well, you can add new material and/or tissue templates, but then you'll need to modify the creatures' raws anyway, yeah. That's quite boring, but that's the only way.

Also does LAYER SIZE in armors have something to do with defense it provides ?
Yes, it does. It will be not very noticable with leather though (my tests were with iron plate). Except if you gonna give it a really high value.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

perkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: April 26, 2015, 07:28:28 am »

Well, you can add new material and/or tissue templates, but then you'll need to modify the creatures' raws anyway, yeah. That's quite boring, but that's the only way.

Also does LAYER SIZE in armors have something to do with defense it provides ?
Yes, it does. It will be not very noticable with leather though (my tests were with iron plate). Except if you gonna give it a really high value.

Thanks.

1. Is there any good tutorial to edit creature raws without breaking them ?
Also can i mix template and individual ? I mean like creature will use template skin but after that i put [SOLID_DENSITY:1000] and it overwrites only density value from template ?
I noticed something like this in raws for stones but organics don't have such raws

2. That is very helpful. In my mod i am trying to go for more realistic approach with armor so for example dwarves/humans etc won't be able to wear 20 cloaks, 30 shirts and so on. So if i rework material size for each armor then i can give leather armors some huge LAYERSIZE values without making it unwearable. Since leather is light it shouldn't be a problem to get layersize huge value.

So basic armor in my mod will look like this: shirt -> aketon -> mail -> breatplate - > surcoat which will be max . So you will be able to wear only one of above sometimes max 2 (like in case of shirt.

Another question for you. Does layer size for metal type armors have huge impact ? I mean if yes then this basically means i can create for example various kinds of chain mail. Chainmail shirt for example will be very thin and light where chainmail surcoat would be very thick providing huge defense but very heavy

NON RELATED TO ABOVE QUESTION.

Can i put [REACTIONCLASS] tag into weapons ? let's say i want all small and medium weapons with edge to have carve reaction class so that i can just type reaction class in REAGENT for later use when i want to tan hide or do something with meat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:42:32 am by perkel »

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: April 26, 2015, 08:48:50 am »

If I give sites to a layer-linked entity, will they actually form those sites in the caverns? I strongly suspect it'll fail, but stranger things have happened.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: April 26, 2015, 08:53:38 am »

Nope, I tried it once. Aside from the things that are proven to not work, the LAYER_LINKED stuff is so specific and restricted that it's easier to assume that whatever you're thinking won't work.

fomori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: April 26, 2015, 09:10:40 am »

Nope, I tried it once. Aside from the things that are proven to not work, the LAYER_LINKED stuff is so specific and restricted that it's easier to assume that whatever you're thinking won't work.

Ah, thanks. Disappointing but unsurprising, I guess.

EDIT: May as well ask this here; If I mod a naturally spawning creature to animate the dead like a necromancer does, will they appear in-game with undead servants they gathered in world-gen? Or will they be restricted to ones they raise during play? Obviously necromancers have their armies, but for all I know that has something to do with them being part of an entity (initially).

Link related: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/anthropophagus.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 09:34:08 am by fomori »

Sver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: April 26, 2015, 12:07:14 pm »

1. Is there any good tutorial to edit creature raws without breaking them ?
If you're concerned about not breaking the raws, just backup them. Here are some modding guides, but they're not about that anyway. You can check the wiki's one though, if you have no any creature modding experience.

Also can i mix template and individual ? I mean like creature will use template skin but after that i put [SOLID_DENSITY:1000] and it overwrites only density value from template ?
I noticed something like this in raws for stones but organics don't have such raws
Well, yes, you can define a new material based on existing template in creature raw, the tags there will overwrite the template's ones. Just don't mess up the ID's (for example, if you're adding new material for skin, you should define it's ID as SKIN, also the material should be defined after the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDART_MATERIALS], for example, so it'll overwrite the original material with this ID).

more realistic approach with armor so for example dwarves/humans etc won't be able to wear 20 cloaks, 30 shirts and so on
I can't say it's unrealistic. It actually IS realistic. And only achievable by the player anyway, AI doesn't make such wardrobe choices.

Does layer size for metal type armors have huge impact ?
I dunno how huge the impact is, but [LAYERSIZE:40] iron plate is basically undestructable.

Can i put [REACTIONCLASS] tag into weapons ? let's say i want all small and medium weapons with edge to have carve reaction class so that i can just type reaction class in REAGENT for later use when i want to tan hide or do something with meat.
I have no idea, never actually modded reactions.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 03:16:27 pm by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 247