Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327959 times)

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1020 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »

This is my first official post. I've just gotten started on DF, and I'm actually mostly interested in the adventurer mode, largely because, as a kid, I wished for an open world version of Moria (anyone remember that old game?) and it seems like DF pretty much is that wish come true. Anyway, one thing that I wanted to do was add more races for me to play with. I'm not a furry, but I am interested in making and adding furry races to the world.

One thing which I did was copy the stuff describing humans in the entity_default.txt to the bottom, and I just changed the CREATURE:HUMAN to CREATURE:LYNX_MAN to see what would happen. Surely enough, Lynx man villages and stuff did appear and I was able to play them. I also changed other values and stuff, which passed just fine when I generated world after world to test it.

But here's my question: What exactly would just changing the the CREATURE part do? Would it take human stats and raws and just change the name? The in-game stats say 'paw' and even describe the tail, but would there be other differences or what exactly?

I'm a giant noob to modding, but I would like to know more, even if just for modding's sake since I like tinkering around with stuff like this when I can. Thanks in advance.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:21 pm »

But here's my question: What exactly would just changing the the CREATURE part do? Would it take human stats and raws and just change the name? The in-game stats say 'paw' and even describe the tail, but would there be other differences or what exactly?

The [CREATURE:X] line in an entity defines which creature within the game is used to populate the civilization. Changing it from HUMAN to LYNX_MAN changed it from humans to lynx-people.

Did you be sure to change the entity ID as well? Having duplicate IDs for a single type of object can cause errors and odd glitches.

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: September 04, 2014, 10:02:40 pm »

The [CREATURE:X] line in an entity defines which creature within the game is used to populate the civilization. Changing it from HUMAN to LYNX_MAN changed it from humans to lynx-people.

Did you be sure to change the entity ID as well? Having duplicate IDs for a single type of object can cause errors and odd glitches.

That I am not sure. I will check it. Like I said, I'm a total n00b in modding. I will be sure to read the guides more thoroughly when I make my own race.

That being said, I did encounter some glitches and crashes when I did previously modify it, so the entity ID thing could have been the cause. I'll look into it.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1023 on: September 05, 2014, 12:34:05 am »

This is my first official post. I've just gotten started on DF, and I'm actually mostly interested in the adventurer mode, largely because, as a kid, I wished for an open world version of
Come adventure in the OldGenesis mod! We have fun stuff like animal and people sounds. Also, centaur civ and beastman civ and Noble Orient Orcs and Nord Humans.
Sounds Spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: September 05, 2014, 09:11:13 am »

This is my first official post. I've just gotten started on DF, and I'm actually mostly interested in the adventurer mode, largely because, as a kid, I wished for an open world version of
Come adventure in the OldGenesis mod! We have fun stuff like animal and people sounds. Also, centaur civ and beastman civ and Noble Orient Orcs and Nord Humans.
Sounds Spoilers:
Tomi, this is the question thread, not the propaganda thread. Please don't do that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 05, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »

Tomi, this is the question thread, not the propaganda thread. Please don't do that.
Oops, for a moment last night there I thought this was discussion about modding and example code for modders.

One question comes to me: what animals are the loudest in a Dwarven hillocks settlement (longest tiles-distance in VOCALIZATION), and what animals are the loudest in an underground-only dwarven settlement?
Also, what happens when you have mineral A that occurs only as veins, and then you add a mineral B that occurs in vein form only inside mineral A?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:47:21 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: September 05, 2014, 01:18:06 pm »

Oh, can the attitude. It really is pretty jarring how often your answer or solution happens to involve ~this mod that I made~ that you should probably try one of these days??

I don't know jack about animal noises, but the mineral occurrence wouldn't make it appear. It seems that the map first constructs a basic plan of where the veins and the deposits and the clusters go and then colors it in according to the dice rolls.

Have you ever, ever run across diamonds in the wild? They can only be found in places where a VEIN that happens to be kimberlite intersects with a CLUSTER_SMALL and the RNG raffle decides that it's a faint yellow diamond instead of all the other gem/stone options in the strata.

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 05, 2014, 06:05:23 pm »

Sounds Spoilers:

Sounds interesting. I'm not that big into the sounds, but... meh, why not? :) I'll give it a go when I got the time.

EDIT: OK, so I got my second question now. I'm sure some people might have asked how to produce nudist modes, and although this is not exactly what I'm trying to do (it might be good for a while for laughs and giggles, but when I start to think about how little sense this makes, especially when it comes to armor and battle gear...), but I do possibly want to make a change in what people do and do not wear... so any clues on how to do it? Also while removing any possible bad thoughts a race might have about such stuff?

I'll tell you what I did so far. In the whole part of the clothing like pants, skirts, etc, I changed the 'common' part, to 'rare', and when I loaded up the game, I found that few people of that race did have them. Obviously this wouldn't stop me from making them wear them when I have them, but would it mean that none of them would be wearing those objects by default?

Once again, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:09:47 pm by Weirdoinacup »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 05, 2014, 06:13:12 pm »

COMMON vs RARE means how often the civilization itself has access to it, not how often the citizens will rare it. Even so, I believe that it's more of a relative thing--the values only matter if there's alternatives available, such as two different kinds of pants, with one being COMMON and the other rare; you'll get the COMMON more often than not, the RARE sometimes along with, and sometimes you'll only get the RARE.

Weirdoinacup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: September 05, 2014, 07:21:04 pm »

COMMON vs RARE means how often the civilization itself has access to it, not how often the citizens will rare it. Even so, I believe that it's more of a relative thing--the values only matter if there's alternatives available, such as two different kinds of pants, with one being COMMON and the other rare; you'll get the COMMON more often than not, the RARE sometimes along with, and sometimes you'll only get the RARE.

I see, and if I remove the thing all together from the raw, the civ won't be able to get it? Also, let's suppose I want to make the world purely a bronze age thing, as in, forbidding anything beyond bronze (no iron or steel) tools or weapons, would simply removing those professions/items from the entity raws be enough?

I think I should do more dabbling and reading on the official documents and guides before asking anymore questions.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:36 pm »

Removing permissions will prevent civilizations from using certain items or performing certain jobs, yes.

Though removing steel is as easy as removing the reaction permission, non-alloy metals that can be smelted directly from ores are not as easy, as they do not rely on reactions defined in the raws. You will either have to remove the furnace operator profession (I think it's this profession, but no guarantee) or tweak the ores themselves in order to prevent them from giving the metal.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

Removing permissions will prevent civilizations from using certain items or performing certain jobs, yes.

Though removing steel is as easy as removing the reaction permission, non-alloy metals that can be smelted directly from ores are not as easy, as they do not rely on reactions defined in the raws. You will either have to remove the furnace operator profession (I think it's this profession, but no guarantee) or tweak the ores themselves in order to prevent them from giving the metal.
The easiest way on the player is to add a reaction that produces X metal to a certain building (say, craftsman) to the non-player civ you want to have that metal and remove furnace operator from them. Rection metals are always available, even if the ingredients are not.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

drone1230

• Bay Watcher
  • Feel the might of my epi-pen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: September 07, 2014, 08:53:41 am »

I have recently started modding, and have a question. I've been messing around in the raws for bees(I have plans for them) and would like to make them spawnable in the object testing arena. How will I do this? Is it because bees are vermin? What tags do I have to add/remove/change?
Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: September 07, 2014, 05:55:01 pm »

Vermin cannot be spawned in arena mode. (probably not even with reanimate-bodypart-as-creature-X.)
If you change them to be non-vermin, they'll behave like a crow/seagull/rabbit, be a one gram to two kilograms animal.
The bees' specialty,
   [ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE]
   [HIVE_PRODUCT:1:201600:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_HONEYCOMB:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WAX]
   [HIVE_PRODUCT:1:201600:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ROYAL_JELLY]
and [COLONY_EXTERNAL]
probably won't work once they're a LARGE_ROAMING type creature.

To change bees from vermin to proper animal, you'd
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:40:23 pm by TomiTapio »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: September 07, 2014, 07:18:06 pm »

Is there any way to write raws to the effect of having a creature throw globs of the randomly evil weather materials (e.g. foul slush) as an interaction? I'm trying to create a race that poses a different threat level each game - it could just give your dwarves blisters, or it could cause a skin-necrosis plague as dust spreads, or it could create thralls (uh-oh).
Aforementioned race would also have [MISCHEIVOUS], and otherwise behave very much like kobolds (smaller, frailer kobolds, but just as sneaky and TRAPAVOID-y), only attacking you if you let too many babies get stolen or items get pinched.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 247