Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327631 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #735 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:39 pm »

So, will adding the    [ITEM_THIEF] token to all the entities make them go to war with you if you kill the thieves or does thief killing have nothing to do with wars? I am curious.
[ITEM_THIEF] should automatically make any entities with the tag hostile to others, like goblins or kobolds.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 13, 2014, 04:04:45 am »

If I wanted to transfer a modded creature from 2012 to 2014 what would I need to change? If someone could point me in the right direction that be great.

Some things from this version are
- Gaits, which replace the earlier [SPEED:x] and [SWIM_SPEED:x] tags.  Movement is generally more complex, and there are gaits with different settings for walking, flying, climbing, swimming, etc.  There's a table in the /raw/object/notes/ of different numbers corresponding to a speed.
- Attacks now have timings in [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:x:x].  You don't really need them since it naturally defaults to 3:3, but can still be important in attacks like kicks, which have slower timings (4:4).  There are also allowance and penalty flags for multiattacking (generally kicks and tailslaps are bad multiattack, hydrae and ettins have no-penalty multiattacking bites)
- Necks are now an actual thing.  Without them the THROAT and NECK (actually upper spine) parts don't connect.  If you have a [BODY:HUMANOID] creature, generally it's changed to [BODY:HUMANOID_NECK], and likewise for quadrupeds and so on.
- Low light vision for underground creatures like dwarves.
- Odours.  Not really necessary since the tags have default values, but humans and dwarves have poor sense of smell.  Inorganic creatures generally have no detectable smell.
Also, there are CANNOT_JUMP and CANNOT_CLIMB (this one is only needed if the creature has grasps - no creature in the stock raws uses this) to prevent a creature from jumping/climbing or STANCE_CLIMBER to allow a creature to climb with its feet/stance parts, VISION_ARC (in the format [VISION_ARC:150:310], binocular vision, non-binocular vision), MULTIPART_FULL_VISION which (probably) causes the creature to have a full vision arc while it has multiple heads,  NO_VEGETATION_PERTURB, which probably causes the creature to leave no tracks on vegetation, and several other new tags. You should look through the Creature token wiki page for details.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #737 on: August 13, 2014, 08:50:49 am »

So, will adding the    [ITEM_THIEF] token to all the entities make them go to war with you if you kill the thieves or does thief killing have nothing to do with wars? I am curious.
[ITEM_THIEF] should automatically make any entities with the tag hostile to others, like goblins or kobolds.

Aww, ok.

I hope that changes eventually, its unrealistic for there to not exist any human/elven/dwarven thieves

edit:

That doesnt seem to be the case, i gave every entity this tag and im still only at war innately with my halflings and the goblins, the rest are peaceful.

The babysntacher tag makes them innately aggressive however (my halflings).

Observe:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:59:24 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 13, 2014, 09:37:52 am »

I've started looking at creature variations and the way VBASE does things, but I can't quite figure out if something I want to do is possible.

Namely, I want to swap out the [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER] tag from the SKIN_TEMPLATE to something else ( like LEATHER_THICK )

Anyone know if that's possible? Would something like this work?

[CV_CONVERT_TAG][CVCT_MASTER:MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT][CVCT_TARGET:LEATHER][CVCT_REPLACEMENT:LEATHER_THICK]

Sadly, I'm not going to be able to do any tests until probably Thursday, but I do have lunch breaks where I can work on raws.

Should work.

You could also make it much more... extensible by making it go like this:

[CV_CONVERT_TAG][CVCT_MASTER:MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT][CVCT_TARGET:!ARG1][CVCT_REPLACEMENT:!ARG2]

And then you can use the creature variation (let's call it REPLACE_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT) like this:

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:REPLACE_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:LEATHER:LEATHER_THICK]

Ah. Nifty! Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #739 on: August 13, 2014, 10:40:05 am »

If I wanted to transfer a modded creature from 2012 to 2014 what would I need to change? If someone could point me in the right direction that be great.
Here's an annotated selection of GAITs, based on real-world animal speeds, to help you tune your creatures:
"DF_" prefix indicates vanilla DF as data source.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes I have have tuned animals speeds and sizes a lot in the OldGenesis mod.
And given some wildlife Vocalizations, for good adventurer fun:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:46:08 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 13, 2014, 11:39:53 am »

Aww, ok.

I hope that changes eventually, its unrealistic for there to not exist any human/elven/dwarven thieves

edit:

That doesnt seem to be the case, i gave every entity this tag and im still only at war innately with my halflings and the goblins, the rest are peaceful.

The babysntacher tag makes them innately aggressive however (my halflings).

Observe:

I believe that races who have the [ITEM_THIEF] tag are cool with other races that have the [ITEM_THIEF] tag. Try giving every race but yours [ITEM_THIEF] maybe?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 13, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »

I want a reaction to produce a philosophers stone, that is used up in other alchemy reaction.
How do I define a stone type for it that does not appear ingame unless crafted.
I am aware that traders will bring it, probably nothing that can be done about this, am I right? However I don't want that it spawns as a layer or vein stone in the map.

Also what personality trait makes a creature more likely to not throw a tantrum.
(If you have a species of non-alcoholics one very important source of happy thoughts is not available, so I'd like to increase their resistance to tantruming somewhat.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »

I want a reaction to produce a philosophers stone, that is used up in other alchemy reaction.
I am aware that traders will bring it, probably nothing that can be done about this, am I right? However I don't want that it spawns as a layer or vein stone in the map.
Just don't include any environment tags for the stone and it won't spawn anywhere in the ground.  If you add a [SPECIAL] tag, it also won't show up in anyone's preferences.

Now, if the civ has access to a reaction that produces Philosopher Stones, then they'll probably show up in caravans.  Annoyingly, you might even see crafts made from Philosopher Stone material.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55:01 pm »

Are plant species distributed like animals during worldgen? Or does every kind of plant with a certain biome tag occur in every instance of that biome? I'd like to grow plants from imported seeds in greenhouses by adding the relevant biome tags after worldgen, but not if that makes wild versions start to grow everywhere.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 13, 2014, 03:33:50 pm »

Are plant species distributed like animals during worldgen? Or does every kind of plant with a certain biome tag occur in every instance of that biome? I'd like to grow plants from imported seeds in greenhouses by adding the relevant biome tags after worldgen, but not if that makes wild versions start to grow everywhere.
I think your embark's plants & trees are decided and locked in the moment you enter that embark. I think.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 13, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »

But what about future embarks?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DwarfVsObsidianWall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 13, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »

How do I add new labors?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:07 pm »

How do I add new labors?
You don't. Those are hardcoded (means: in the executable).
See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor
and re-use the following skills: alchemy, pressing, shearing, pump operating, fish dissection, animal care, animal dissection, potash making, lye making.
Exact spelling of the labor tokens are at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor_token

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 13, 2014, 05:27:53 pm »

Now when it comes to making nobles for a new race, looking at the other races, you have active nobles such as brokers, hammerers, etc. ones that actually appear on your area and are set-able. Then you have I guess what I would refer to as lore nobles, things such as generals and etc that would appear in the world history but not in the actual game necessarily. Basically would it be fine to pretty much just ignore all of the lore nobles and only worry about adding active nobles?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 13, 2014, 06:31:25 pm »

Just don't include any environment tags for the stone and it won't spawn anywhere in the ground.  If you add a [SPECIAL] tag, it also won't show up in anyone's preferences.

Now, if the civ has access to a reaction that produces Philosopher Stones, then they'll probably show up in caravans. [...]
Ah that's nice to know. Actually I wouldn't mind if someone liked the stone "for it's perfection", however I WOULD mind if a noble demanded his furniture made of this stuff. So it's definitely good to know I can shut this down with the special tag.

[...]  Annoyingly, you might even see crafts made from Philosopher Stone material.
Well that's annoying. Is there any workaround to that?
Create an intermediate stone that instantly melts and leaves back the philosophers stone? Anything (non DF-Hack related)?
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 247