Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 247

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 327903 times)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.40.x QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1725 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:56 pm »

My question: How does DF know which RAWs to use? Like, can I grab a monster list RAW from, say, MW, and just stick it in my RAWs directory and it will get used?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: December 20, 2014, 10:08:13 pm »

Addendum:
Is there any real point to the growths on crops, like strawberry leaves, that aren't stockpilables?

I don't know about new raw additions in the last month other than gelding. I believe that useless plant bits such as most types of leaves are just for realism/making autumn a prettier time of year, but I may be wrong.

My question: How does DF know which RAWs to use? Like, can I grab a monster list RAW from, say, MW, and just stick it in my RAWs directory and it will get used?

So long as it's put in properly, yes. The game won't differentiate between mods. It looks for valid objects within the raw folder, and loads them from there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 10:09:50 pm by BlackFlyme »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: December 21, 2014, 02:56:13 am »

So long as it's put in properly, yes. The game won't differentiate between mods. It looks for valid objects within the raw folder, and loads them from there.

Although, Masterwork is a pretty comprehensive mod that has a lot of interdependencies, so grabbing stuff from it into vanilla will not work in general.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: December 21, 2014, 03:15:36 am »

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more.

If the creature was made using only vanilla resources, then it should transfer just fine. If the creature uses new tissues, materials, body parts/plans, etc., then those will have to be transferred over as well to keep the creature functioning properly. Or alternatively, the creature would have to be adjusted to remove those dependencies.

In a similar vein, objects meant for one version of Dwarf Fortress may not work properly if ported to another. A good example would be the way movement works in the current version compared to version 0.34.11. The old speed tokens were replaced by new gaits, meaning every creature had to be given its own movement speeds, or else be restricted to a single gait. Or as another example, the new trees, which went from taking up a single tile in the game to being able to extend above the Z level they grow in, and were given the ability to host growths such as leaves and fruit.

However, I don't quite know how DFHack-dependent objects would be ported over. I don't know much about how the utility works.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: December 21, 2014, 03:19:49 am »

Masterwork runs into every single problem BlackFlyme mentioned.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:32 am »

If I have a civ where the sizes change based on castes, will that effect who can and can't wear armour?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: December 21, 2014, 01:00:04 pm »

The armor may be too heavy to wear for the smaller castes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: December 21, 2014, 01:53:54 pm »

How does the game determines the "small" and "large" adjectives for armor? Does armor has a hidden size parameter?
._.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: December 21, 2014, 04:03:40 pm »

An armour's size is relative to the race that made it, and whether it will be considered large or small would depend on the race viewing the item, and how large that race is relative to the race that created the item. However, I don't really know how it determines if a race can wear another race's armour or not.

I believe that a race can wear any clothing made by their own race, even with dramatic size differences between castes. But that's based on some screwing around I've done in the previous version and the fact that children can wear regular clothes despite being 1/4th the size of an adult.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: December 21, 2014, 08:26:56 pm »

Is there any way that toying with the raws could change your migrant waves from having almost no kids at all to having like 7 of them, every single wave?  For what it's worth, I'm pretty certain I didn't even touch the raws for the dwarves.  Only thing I did was copypaste in my custom animal right under the unicorn.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »

If you want to limit children in migrant waves, lower the childcap in the .init file.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: December 21, 2014, 08:38:31 pm »

This is such a sudden change though.  Perhaps it's because I'm playing on a one-big-continent landmass instead of a map that's split off into two or more smaller continents?

Also, I'd like to limit migrant brats while leaving room for the birth of my own dwarflings.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: December 21, 2014, 11:21:25 pm »

Can I put the large serrated disk's [HITS:3] in a standard weapon? Or is that only effective in weapon traps?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: December 21, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »

That's a trap component token. It cannot be placed on other item types.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:00 pm »

Ah, okay. So a trident would have no triple hit ability.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 247