Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: True expectations on the new release: Not expecting much. Read why.  (Read 3335 times)

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am very excited about the new release, so much so I have been looking at the main page off and on for the last few days :P

My excitement for the release does not reflect my level of expectations with the new content/changes to the game. I have read the devlog and read the lists people compiled of the changes that are coming... and I think people need to realize that the game itself has not greatly altered. This isn't an update comparable to when multiple Z levels were added. This update is focused on the games foundations, so that future changes to the game can take place. This is merely a stepping zone for things to come, and I feel that ToadyOne is very relieved to be finished this stage of the game development.

When the game finally releases, whether you are happy and sad with the results... please make intellectual posts about your feelings and reactions to the release. Its going to be buggy, it may not live to peoples expectations... however the game is free and ToadyOne has been working tirelessly so that the game can live up to his future expectations.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:05:21 pm by mnjiman »
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: True expectations on the new release: Not expecting much. Read why.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:03:58 pm »

Agreed. I don't see a lot in the current change list that is really going to affect the way I play the game very much (I don't play adventure mode). However, I'm still excited by a new release and I still plan to send Toady a thank-you note in the form of $$$.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:07:54 pm »

I mostly agree, but as I like adventure mode as much or more than fortress mode, I will enjoy many of the new features.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:17:30 pm »

The changes this update brings may not appear as "groundbreaking" or otherwise "revolutionary" as the introduction of Z-levels or materials was, but they are nonetheless really important, and it's still something that no other games have done - a truly living world, one of the DF's underlying concept.

So while not as evident as other changes in the past, they'll still affect gameplay to a reasonable extent and make room for more groundbreaking additions.

Just my two uristbucks on the matter.

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:43:16 pm »

Its actually a disappointment. All the stuff thats new that took 2 years pales in comparison to what Meph can do in 2 months with his masterwork. Atleast as far as fortress mode goes. I think adventure mode might have a good bit update which is cool.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 04:45:51 pm »

Its actually a disappointment. All the stuff thats new that took 2 years pales in comparison to what Meph can do in 2 months with his masterwork. Atleast as far as fortress mode goes. I think adventure mode might have a good bit update which is cool.
I'd like to object to this: Meph can't change the actual mechanics of combat.  Plus, Meph's masterwork is a compilation of people's works, so that also isn't a fair comparison.  Meph also can't get worldgen to continue into gameplay, which, if I may say so myself, is REALLY COOL.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 04:52:38 pm »

I cant wait to start working on my own dwarven civilisation (now with 70% less abandoned ruins!), along with all the new features that will make modding and adventure mode !!FUN!!.

To say this update is not a massive change is rather underselling things. Sure, there is no one massive feature that completely and utterly changes how DF works (living world could be considered one though), but there are many many smaller ones which when put together will provide a very different experiance. People also have to stop considering fortress mode to be the 'real' mode, adventure mode has been neglected for a long time and now its gotten one of the updates it deserves, this should not be seen as a bad thing because it was not a fortress mode focused update.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:59:17 pm by Seagoon »

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

People like you are the reason I resent the larger mods.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:56 pm »

Dont resent the larger mods, resent people like him.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:56 pm »

Dont resent the larger mods, resent people like him.
+1

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »

The update seems pretty big. Liquid coming out of peoples eyes? Non-lethal combat? Reworked combat? History progressing in-game? I'm no expert, but those things seem pretty big.  :-\
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:43:16 pm »

As a self-proclaimed expert on modding (hehehe) and one of the many, many brilliant people without whom Meph couldn't do over half the stuff he does in Masterwork: you're wrong.

The update seems pretty big. Liquid coming out of peoples eyes? Non-lethal combat? Reworked combat? History progressing in-game? I'm no expert, but those things seem pretty big.  :-\

The thing I just bolded is literally the most important thing that will ever be in any Dwarf Fortress update in its entire development cycle. There is nothing bigger than that. This is indisputably the biggest update in the history of DF and there will never be one bigger simply for the inclusion of the feature that happens to be (believe it or not) the premise of the game. It's like if they finally included jumping into Super Mario Brothers after 8 years of not having it. It's that big.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 05:52:27 pm »

The thing I just bolded is literally the most important thing that will ever be in any Dwarf Fortress update in its entire development cycle. There is nothing bigger than that. This is indisputably the biggest update in the history of DF and there will never be one bigger simply for the inclusion of the feature that happens to be (believe it or not) the premise of the game. It's like if they finally included jumping into Super Mario Brothers after 8 years of not having it. It's that big.

Good analogy! I liked it.

And this is true, the game isn't about fortress mode or adventure mode, as those are just ways to interact with what the game is about: a procedurally generated fantasy world.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:36 pm »

As I said in my original post, the majority of work ToadyOne has completed for the next release is the improved foundations. These foundations pave the way forward for very interesting procedural combat and history. Combat such as sending Fortress mode armies to other sites. New foundations that allow modders such as Meph to be able to create as much content as he has easily as he has. How do you think its possible for modders to be able to create so much for Dwarf Fortress in so little time? It is because ToadyOne has worked as hard as he has on the foundations of this game to allow it to be possible.

Having low expectations towards the new release is understandable. Being disappointed in not seeing new content from ToadyOne is understandable. However, being disappointed because you fail to understand where the work is being put is kind of ignorant on your part. However it might be because you make posts before you read the actual content of the original post you are replying to. Maybe next time you could do that.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »

AHHH WHO CARES IT HERE WOOO!
Pages: [1] 2