Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47

Author Topic: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]  (Read 37898 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]
« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2014, 12:09:31 am »

I just have no idea why you said it is all. It's kinda a weird opening line.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2014, 12:12:03 am »

If it's not the stench of pirate, as he put it, then it has to be something else. If there's a wild, presumably un-housebroken animal next door, that's a good place to start.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2014, 12:14:08 am »

I'm going to PM you in a second Immaterial.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:20 am »

It'd be more a problem of finding a suitable piece of wood to make it than anything else -- not many forests at sea.
Taking some from the rivial ship could work, somewhat
There's little overlap between the types of wood used in the construction of sailing ships (cedar was one of the most common, you also saw things like teak) and the crafting of longbows (traditionally yew, but also things like ash and elm). Also note that both are made of specifically shaped pieces; you'd have an excessively difficult time trying to turn a plank into a bow, even if it was made of the proper sort of wood. You might manage it if you had a large enough piece of oak, but again you run into the issue of opportunity cost: the time taken to extract that wood and make a passable bow of it pales in comparison to just trading (or even buying) one that has already been made, and the bow'll probably be better anyways.

Yay realism. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2014, 12:33:21 am »

It'd be more a problem of finding a suitable piece of wood to make it than anything else -- not many forests at sea.
Taking some from the rivial ship could work, somewhat
-snip-
I was talking about arrows, also the masts were essentially trunks/logs or whatever you call them stacked on each other to make up the entire mast as a whole. Hopefully this doesn't come off as an argument but more of a debate-ish thing. Also... Woo learning!
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »

Nah, half the fun of tabletops are the thought-provoking discussions. There's nothing wrong with argument, especially if it motivates you and others to learn (and being right is one of the best motivators, heh). Arrows we can probably find, same with bows, whenever we capture a ship with armed enemies on it. It's usable lengths of wood that are the problem; you need specific sections of trees with the right properties, grain alignment, &c., and it's going to be unlikely for a random plank or railing to possess the right qualities for a good bow -- though you could probably make any number of crappy ones, and DnD rules don't really differentiate much in that direction.

Besides shortbows are 30gp and rapiers are 20gp, so even if Lora can't argue someone down, it's not like we don't have enough spare plain rapiers to trade for one -- the number one rule of loot is making sure that it's distributed effectively, after all; the better equipped each member of the party is, the more likely we are to avoid a TPK. Lora's essentially following the same sort of rule in-character, considering that she's CN (which in this case translates to selfish) and intelligent (which in turn means enlightened self interest), which then means that her first and foremost interest is in the safety of her own skin, which is best ensured by having those around her also be better armed and protected. It's also helping her get in good with a healer.

Selfish characters are so much fun to RP, especially when they're not stupid ones that just steal everything they can and screw over their friends meatshields for short-term gains. It's one side of the coin of 'doing the right thing for the wrong reason'; the other is being slavishly selfless because it's "good"/the law/whatever. ^^

3. Run Resize Enable

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2014, 03:56:18 pm »

Yeah, selfish characters can be fun. I prefer making good guys with bad qualities but that's just me.

So, what's everyone's sort of, overarching goal for this game? I'm thinking of maybe getting my guy to make an organisation for like minded rangers that sort of acts as a neutral group of protectors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2014, 04:38:30 pm »

Be a sterotypical wizard. Get an apprentice and a badass tower, then do wizardly things.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2014, 07:58:25 pm »

A goal for me would probably get a ship and beat up the royal navy and then probably make a loot storage somewhere where I'll hoard all my crap I'll collect
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »

I don't really know actually. As of right now, she wants to find another clan of druids to join or at the very least find people similar to her. If she finds she likes the outside world more, she might decide to keep adventuring. She's only been exposed to civilization for a few weeks. Could go either way.

Also, to save me the trouble with coming up with many different ways to say "Ylva follows Eileen" whenever Eileen moves, Ylva will always follow her unless otherwise stated. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:09:22 pm by Silthuri »
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2014, 10:21:37 pm »

Yep, sure is a nice OOC thread I've set up here that everyone else seems to hate because they enjoy posting in the IC thread with OOC stuff despite it breaking the story.

Anyway, KJ, I don't really know what you're asking there.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2014, 10:24:27 pm »

Sorry, force of habit.

And Skyrim guards have a habit of talking about one groups scimitars.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

It's really just the fact that he'd like a Scimitar. Rapiers are, apparently, a dime a dozen on these ships.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:51 pm »

Kind of odd when you think about it. Like, wouldn't pirates just grab whatever they can before the join the ship?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 47