Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47

Author Topic: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]  (Read 37825 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Skillmonkeys are usually fun, though you could try doing something unusual like a Intimi-Samurai, as long as you didn't abuse the mechanics too badly.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

I typed this part before I even read it. I've never heard of this class before BUT judging on what I know of you it's going to be a class with plenty of potential for power gaming and exploits. I will leave this here despite what I read to see if I'm right. Now to read...

Just reading it I'm going to say no. It looks way too powerful than what I think I'm comfortable with. BUT let's look around a bit. I'm trying to keep an open mind.

After a bit of reasearch I'm positive that I'm not letting that happen.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Aw, that looked like it could be interesting.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright. Disappointing. On the tier system it's class 3, and considering clerics, wizards, and druids are all class 1...

Am I really exploity..? Huh.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've heard you called power-gamey and I saw your dude in the other game but... Tier 3 you say?... Well... Maybe. Ask RPG. He'd know better than me.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Maybe cancer mage? It's not that OP from what I know and it's very interesting. The biggest problem is that it's from 3.0 and not in 3.5 for some reason.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. Who called me power-gamey, out of curiosity?

I can see why. Not owning any of the actual books, I've learnt through online guides and resources, and they tend to be rather... slanted... in the power ranges for each character. Also, hey, being powerful is fun. You mention the other game - I'm planning on having one or two undead champions instead of an army both for ease of bookkeeping and not out-classing the other players.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. Who called me power-gamey, out of curiosity?

I can see why. Not owning any of the actual books, I've learnt through online guides and resources, and they tend to be rather... slanted... in the power ranges for each character. Also, hey, being powerful is fun. You mention the other game - I'm planning on having one or two undead champions instead of an army both for ease of bookkeeping and not out-classing the other players.

I can't recall actually... Even if I did I wouldn't tell you. Sorry man, I like you but if someone tells me something I feel like it's confidential. If it makes you feel better the context of the quote was something to the effect of "He's a better power-gamer than me".

Well.... I might allow it. I do like the flavor, but again I'll leave it up to RPG as I'm not entirely sure. The higher health, DR, and a bunch of the other stuff seems too powerful. Why not just Necro focused Wizard?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

It's proven that one gets Raise Dead before the other. I forget which, though.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I've made a Dread Necromancer before. They can be power-gamey, any class can, but they aren't very bad at all. Nice flavor.

Easiest way to keep him in check is not let him become Necropolitan later.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welp, Giglamesh you are allowed making a dread necro in that case. RPG, did you get my messages?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mm, that doesn't really fit the motif I was going for, being essentially a reskinned elf with cold iron DR.

I might just run a bog-standard trip fighter.

Here's a placeholder character while I work up a new concept that might be interesting to RP.

Would be allowable. If you would care to finish the sheet and repost the link when you're done.

IF I HAVE NOT SAID YES OR NO ON YOUR SHEET FEEL FREE TO REPOST IT

I probably missed it...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Out of curiosity, would you allow the houserules that Hans, GWG, and I built back during the planning for the kobold campaign re: poison, alchemical items, and the way they interact with sneak attack/crit? The goal was to make them viable, as opposed to the convoluted, underpowered, and oft-contradictory RAW.

Obviously Dust of Sneezing and Choking would be flat-out banned because fuck that stuff. I'd probably suggest the same for Aboleth Mucus, considering that this is a explicitly non-powergamey campaign and it's a save-or-die (base) DC19 fort save for 20gp.

Heh, I always wanted to play that Kobold Batman character. Rogue/Swashbuckler just sounds like so damned much fun.

The only magical items which I absolutely, positively would need to be available at some point would be:
1. Belt of Many Pockets (CArc 148): 11k gp, 64x pouches with 10lbs/1cu ft. of capacity each, which act as mini-Haversacks; they respond to the wearer's desire, and extracting an object is a move action which doesn't provoke AOOs.
2. Glove of the Master Strategist (Ghost): 3.6k gp, acts as Glove of Storing and grants Truestrike 1/day.
3. Rod of Ropes (CS I don't remember, I can look it up when our WBL becomes relevant, have this link.

So what would DM and co-DM say to a skillmonkey rogue/swashbuckler specializing in rapiers and thrown/splash/ranged touch/whatever the fuck the splatbook you're currently reading calls them weapons.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:10:50 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From my little understanding of the rules I like this enough... Seems fine. I would like you to have fun after all. Ask RPG. He understands the rules better than me. That's part of the reason for this campaign. To learn me the rules.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47