Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47

Author Topic: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]  (Read 37820 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Wishlist (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

As long as he doesn't take scribe scroll, it should be fine.

Warlocks can be the most overpowered class in the game around level 12 with scribe scroll and other item creation feats, because they can make level 9 scrolls at level 12 if they try.

I'm very much flattered by Nerjin allowing me to be Co-DM, but will also say this, as my first act.

No Level Adjustment races. We're starting at first level. You get no Level Adjustment races. There are plenty of other things that can let you take Fey Heritage feats.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could we take monster races out of curiosity?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

Yes. So long as you link to your sources of where the points are coming from.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing any crafting shenanigans.

And are you positive about not allowing LA races? I'm perfectly willing to play without the possibility of LA buyback. That'd mean that, while initially I'd have good stats, I would hit level 2 (class level, rather than ECL) at around the same time that the rest of the party is working towards level 5, and would continue to be in that situation for as long as the campaign went on.

I swear up and down that I'm honestly really interested in the RP possibilities here. Heck, it's why I'm avoiding all the craft/UMD silliness Warlocks can do, as well as the much-better melee builds with eldritch glaive/claws (or, for that matter, just building a CoDzilla or primary-caster Wizard). I'll still have nothing to attack with but my 1d6 damage blast when the average party level is ~4.

That's what my sheet looks like now, and what it will continue to look like for a long darned time. No new feats, no new invocations, no damage increase on my blast, nada (and even if I get a decent stack of gold, my carry weight is so low that I can't do much with it). The ability scores are nice, but warlocks are one of those classes that can dump anything and everything and still do well, and they don't actually help me affect the flow of battles. Not to mention that PC Pixies don't actually gain any racial HD. It'll be hard to catch, but that's about it, and anything that actually locks me down will end me. I just want to fly around ringing my bell and hitting things with little pinprick glowing rays. :3

As far as the character goes, see the personality and other notes for what I'm going for. It's distinctly suboptimal without LA buyback available, but I think there's a lot of potential for fun there. The way it'll break down is that I can have fun RPing with everyone, won't do much in combat (but won't get splatted like a bug unless something gets a lucky roll), and can do scouting/party face stuff.

Pixie. -- Note that I took the version without Irresistible Dance 1/day, because holy shit even for an additional LA+2 that is fucking OP.
A good explanation of LA.

My invocation and feats are both core.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:20:58 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I... Well... The RP possibilities are tempting... But... No. I'm afraid not. That's a bit too much to go into for me right now. If RPG thinks it'll work out though I'll allow it. For now though I'm saying no. With a capital " ". Because I'm honestly not sure so I'm going to err. on the side of caution until RPG chimes in.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, sorry, I probably could have stated it more clearly: with this build my only damage output is 1d6 per turn for the first 21,000 xp of the campaign, and I gain no additional enhancements or abilities apart from what's already on the sheet. AKA a first-level spell-like ability that does less damage than a 1st level fighter, along with a handful of 1/day SLAs that peter off in usefulness. All the rest of that does is make sure that I don't get smushed under someone's boot.

3. Run Resize Enable

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

A good explanation of LA.

No Level Adjustment races. We're starting at first level. You get no Level Adjustment races. There are plenty of other things that can let you take Fey Heritage feats.
Level 1. Got it? LA and HD count as levels. If you have LA or racial HD, you aren't starting at level 1.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, Flying Dice? I really like Warlocks, and what you're saying is false. There are items to increase your eldritch blast damage that you could get in the first four levels. And with +8 Charisma, there's a lot you can do without getting into combat anyway. Besides the at-will invisibility and flight.

If you really want to play a fey? Play a Killoren. Nerjin can handle those easily enough. Or a Faun, though I wouldn't recommend it. Or take a fey-touched feat or some such. If it's really important to you to get those fey heritage feats, I'll try to convince Nerjin(and myself) to let you take Nymph's Kiss(EVERYTHING ELSE FROM EXALTED DEEDS IS BANNED THOUGH. NO EXCEPTIONS UNLESS YOU LINK TO THE X IN IT'S ENTIRETY. That shit is too ridiculous to allow without serious consideration) and have that let you qualify for the other fey feats, though I think there's ones specifically for that. Or play an Elf and we'll count it. Plenty of ways to be a fey warlock. But no, you don't get to be a Tiny flying invisible charm-machine at level 1. If Nerjin was more experienced, I would consider creating racial levels for you that you would subsequently work the LA off from. As it is...

Speaking of which, I need to PM with Nerjin about some of the finer points of his campaign.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Wishlist (click to show/hide)
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Mm, that doesn't really fit the motif I was going for, being essentially a reskinned elf with cold iron DR.

I might just run a bog-standard trip fighter.

Here's a placeholder character while I work up a new concept that might be interesting to RP.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:47:06 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Flying Dice, I don't think you understand what Nerjin wants to do here.

He isn't looking for Spiked Chain Control Fighters. He isn't looking for Shock Trooper Barbarians. This isn't a game where you need to optimize to any level whatsoever, essentially.

You don't, at least, because there's no way you're going to make a bad character, even not trying to optimize.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I get it, I'm just looking for something with both interesting mechanics and interesting RP potential without just going straight Wizard. It's difficult for me to get invested in a game mechanically if everything I do can be summarized as "I attack the darkness." "I hit it with my sword."

That aside, it's sort of difficult to build a fighter that isn't optimized to some degree, given that there are a couple of natural lines of progression surrounded by Ackbar-level traps.

Maybe, given the theme, I'll just make a thieving-style skillmonkey.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Assuming a dread necromancer is allowed, what would their starting gold be? Certainly for early levels, they're more melee than spellcaster.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could you link to the Dread Necromancer class.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47