Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47

Author Topic: "Upon the High Seas: Age of Abandon" - 3.5 DnD OOC Thread [Full]  (Read 37821 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

I do believe rogues are already proficient with rapiers, but in any case you need only one to two levels in fighter if you want it for the bonus feats. Remember that you can change your strategy as the game goes on and leaving it open is probably a good idea.

Notprotip: Planning out all 20 levels of advancement before you even start playing is typically a sign of power-gaming or similar. Try planning more generally, instead, and maybe two to three levels ahead, based on current situation and events.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:32:12 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile

Rolepgeek, i planned rogue just to fit in with my character and make a nice fit using the daring outlaw feat for the beginning levels. And fighter just as a general idea. Though thanks for the tipsi'll need them. I'll probably add a couple more things to my character when i get back on my computer.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

I was actually thinking of multiclassing as well since I don't take penalties for the first one.

But not getting into that right now and instead I want to know if I could replace my knowledge (nature) for something relating to the ocean or does it already cover the ocean?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It should cover the ocean, but you could also take K: Geography.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, Technically I have access to both from the start.

And I think I'm going to multiclass into Druid so I can get an animal companion that I can ride. The dire animals and the giant crocodiles are especially appealing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

As a note, you cannot get noble's or courtier's clothing for free at first level without DM fiat. Most you can get is adventurer's outfit.

It also doesn't count against weight, apparently, which is very nice for low strength characters.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

A quick note: If you finish up a sheet that you've previously posted you need to repost the link so I'll know you did that.

Yep. Also... I will allow a fifth player. Why? Because it apparently will allow some more tactical stuff to occur with players.  In exchange, however, I ask the following of everyone who has been accepted:

1. Give me a brief wish-list of magical items you would like throughout your career. I can't promise you'll get all, or even most of them, but it'll help me tailor the stuff you guys get a little more appropriately.

2. Give me feedback on how I'm doing for the first couple of levels. As I said, I'm new. I want this to be fun. Apparently I was getting really close to making everything no-fun.

3. Rolepgeek is my Co-DM [if he still wants the position]. If he says something it is law. If I say something that contradicts him, however, it is my word that is law.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll get on looking up magic items right away.

Also, an addendum to number three:  We call the Co-GM the hand.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Magic items my character may be interested in (If I am back on time):
Ring of Spell Storing
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Metamagic rods
Animated Reflecting shield
A Returning weapon

Don't forget as the DM you can always make up magic items, too.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I plan on making quite a few magical items. The wishlist is essentially to just get a feel for what people would like.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

I've been advised by a mysterious Co-DM-esque person that I may be a bit too paranoid about stuff.

So I'm going to take his advice and say that I'll allow more stuff than just core. Please be kind with it at least. Still not allowing Dragonwrought.

RE: This.

1. Would you be willing to houserule the Petal race (MM3 pg. 120) as a LA+2 player race? That's how it's typically interpreted by RAW, and it looks like it would be interesting for RP and viable for certain class builds.

2. Otherwise, would you object to someone playing a Warlock?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like:
Bracers of archery
Bag of holding
Boots of elvenkind
Cloak of the bat (mostly for the fun of pretending to be a vampire)
Efficient quiver
Portable hole (for fantasy nuking a lich obviously)
An anarchic bane bow.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No petal. Yes Warlock.

Dice, you promise this isn't a macaroni recipe waiting to happen when you make this character.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Warlocks can keep up with other characters quite well, without being overly Mozza in my limited experience. I'm pretty sure Dice isn't trying to macaroni you.

Speaking of Warlocks, though, there's a story any fledgeling needs to read; Start at this post. If we have a swashbuckler, a warlock, and two or so somewhat draconic characters, this is what the game might turn into, BTW. ;) It's an awesome read, with awesome players and an awesome GM. Only actual cheese in that story is probably the Big Bad and maybe the kobold.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

If that's what I think it is, the factotum wasn't cheese so much as a sub-optimal minmaxed character.

Awright, working on the warlock. And yeah, Warlock is pretty middle-of-the-road; you can get pretty good damage building clawlock, but that's not what I want to do.

It's a shame about the Petal though, there's a ton of Fey Heritage feats I could have taken for flavor, and it'd fit the character concept quite well. :/

Just in case, would you allow the Pixie race (MM1)? It's a much steeper cost, at LA+4, and is a very traditional racial choice for warlocks for both roleplay and rollplay reasons.

I'unno, maybe I'm too hung up on the idea of playing a fey warlock, especially because I'm deliberately going for the sub-optimal route of a CHA-dump buff-oriented ranged warlock instead of a clawlock using lots of essence invocations. :\
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:07:11 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 47