Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get out of my Coffin!  (Read 847 times)

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get out of my Coffin!
« on: August 25, 2006, 08:41:00 am »

I don't know if this is intentional or not. So I don't want to label it as a bug cause I've heard about Tombs being dedicated to missing bodies... but it did suprise me.

This was before my first winter even happened, the usual caraven was coming & one of the lil Axedwarves got emselves a bit scratched. Shortly the caravan left & that little Axedwarf tried to crawl after it constantly passing out from the pain. She never made it off my map before she got killed.

At this point I was not in the mood to make time to dig a lil spot or make a coffin just for some random dwarf that wasn't even part of my people. So, I let the body rot into bones, and let the bones disappear during season change.

Almost two years later I lost my first three dwarves (two to an ambush & one starved himself cause I didn't build whatever the heck he wanted). I had four coffins but was only about to use three when I noticed one of my bodies was still lingering nearby the tombs.

I went over the coffins and saw the first one to be that Axedwarf that I would of completly forgotten about if it wasn't for the "u" screen & her title.

Anyone else have this happen, is it normal?

Also...
I'm starting to notice the female dwarves dominate in my games... any dwarf that stands out turns out to be a girl for me. Even my nobles.. like my sheriff threw a tantrum went into her dining room and beat the mason, that was decorating it for her, to death.

oof

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get out of my Coffin!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:59:00 am »

The first is normal.  Just like people in the real world, dwarves will devote graves and coffins even to people whose corpses were lost, as memorials.

I do think it might make sense for them to check if there are any dead fortress dwarves before they devote a coffin to a pet or outsider, though.  Fortress dwarves should take priority.

And the second is because her uterus roamed freely through her body, causing madness.  If you'd examined her wounds you would see it drifting up and down the body parts screen.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

do you get to reclaim coffins?

ashery to cremate corpses next?

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 05:41:00 pm »

It would actually be nice if you could fuel forges with corpses and other refuse, especially on maps with no wood. (Either that, or be able to take apart barrels to reuse the wood.)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

...I am both horrified and amused.  It's a strange, oddly pleasant feeling.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin