Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Start playing new Version or older one  (Read 2782 times)

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
Start playing new Version or older one
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:50:39 pm »

Hey all.
I am experienced in RPG, D&D, MMO, etc... and funny never played this game before. I'm like other's who are thinking about trying this game out but confused on what they should do. I wanted to download something but since new version coming out soon should I wait? if not what version / mod should I consider downloading? Its funny but more I read about this game the more I want to play regardless of little to no graphics I'm ok with that. If you can give me links or something to help direct me to the right path that would be great IE.. links.

Thank You,
Blackravenx!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Start playing new Version or older one
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:03:56 pm »

At this point it's honestly better for you to wait - chances are you won't get much going if the game* really is coming out next week.
That said, this only really applies to the fortress mode simple due to its inherently bigger complexity and the fact it requires more...attention? Hard for me to find a better word, but it's easier to get attached to a fort than it is to an adventurer, and fortress mode takes more setup.

That's just my opinion though - I'm not stopping you, but no matter what you're going to play - the wiki is your best friend.

* - when I say "game" I usually mean "the next version", simply because of how big that thing is - it's a whole new game, even if the term is really overused these days.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »

The new version will be extremely buggy, unstable and none of the tools people have made to play the game more smoothly will function for weeks or even months after its release. Not to mention the new version is completely undocumented so you will be playing it blind. Unless you plan to wait 3 or 4 months before starting to play, I think you would be better off downloading and playing the current version of DF and then upgrading to the new version once you understand the basics which normally takes a month or two.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »

I would actually give the contrary advice. The new version will be a hot mess of terrible bugs when it first comes out, which is hardly something conducive to learning the game for the first time. Therefore, I would advise that you start with the older version for a time, seeing as it is much more stable and has many more resources available for learning it easily. Hopefully, by the time you have gotten the hang of the older version, there will be a more stable iteration of this new version, and a solid base of DF wiki articles and assorted utilities so you can then get the hang of the new mechanics.

EDIT:
Well, it seems Melting Sky was giving the same thoughts as me at the same time as me. (This is what is referred to as being "NInja'd, yes?") I suppose it might still be good to point out that my thoughts are a rebuttal of DarkDXZ's suggestion and not the post immediately above me, just for the sake of clarity.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:30:17 pm by CrzyMonkeyNinja »
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:37:00 pm »

The current version is buggy and unstable. You might as well wait on the new version. Don't touch mods for many months. Get down the basics of DF before you go breaking the rules.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 04:37:22 pm »

Cool I Downloaded some "PeridexisErrant LNP r64" pack that seems to  has the complete package of stuff... Should I go with that or another?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »

Get the current version (it is as stable as a DF version can be) and learns to play in it. After two months, the new version will be more stable and you can migrate to it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 04:42:02 pm »

Lazy Newb Pack is a great package for new players, since it contains some of the most essential utiliities like Dwarf Therapist (which makes managing dwarves' labors much MUCH less of a pain), DFHack (...does it? I'n not sure about this one - it's not really essential for new players IIRC) and some tilesets if you're into that.

So yeah, unless it's different from the thingy I used, it's definitely a good package to have.

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 04:52:04 pm »

Cool I Downloaded some "PeridexisErrant LNP r64" pack that seems to  has the complete package of stuff... Should I go with that or another?

Yes, that is the one you want. Veteran players often confuse new players by calling it the "Lazy Newb Pack", which is actually a pack that is years out of date and yet can still be downloaded. That threw me for a loop when I first started playing. The Peridexis pack is actually the one you want, it has the current version of DF in it.

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 05:01:43 pm »

Cool thanks.. Wish me luck... :) trying it out.. they need to put in Multiplayer on this game would be cool but let me get the single player down pat first.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:40:15 pm »

I say READ THE WIKI! IT IS YOUR NEW (BIBLE,TORAH,QURAN,THE BOOK OF NOTHING,OR WHATEVER YOUR RELIGIOUS BOOK IS)!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:56:34 pm by locustgate »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 05:46:38 pm »

I say READ THE WIKI! IT IS YOUR NEW (BIBLE,TORAH,QURAN,THE BOOK OF NOTHING,OR WHATEVER YOUR RELIGIOUS BOOK IS)!

Don't know why that error bugged me so much but it did.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »

Don't know why that error bugged me so much but it did.
FACEPALM! Yeah thanks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 11:37:13 pm »

DF straight out of the box is fine in terms of content, though Dwarf Therapist will make your life a lot easier. DFHack is a mixed bag -- it patches some very annoying bugs, but it can also become a crutch.

Pick 34.11 and its suite of third-party programs and established knowledge for now, and then when the crazy new version comes out you can play that and see if you like puzzling out the bugs. Your first fortress is never going to be the prettiest or the most well-organised, and might even wither before the new version has a chance to come out.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 11:43:40 pm »

Ah, remember when all children went insane from nakedness? Good times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4