Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF stops responding  (Read 692 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF stops responding
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:13:04 pm »

6 years in, 150 dwarves. Everything is going smoothly, fps 100, then suddenly all motion stops and after a while I get the windows message that program is not responding. There is no error message, nothing in errorlog, no indication of what went wrong.

In the time after it stops working and before I kill the process, it takes all the CPU and about 300k RAM, which isn't really much.
It stops working several days after my last saved position, and it happens every time I reload, but the exact date varies.

I put a lot of work into that fort, and I meant to do a lot more, what can I do?

Edit: Reloading and playing from the previous seasonal autosave still results in this "crash".
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:33:18 pm by ancistrus »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: DF stops responding
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 02:21:04 am »

The only time I have had something like this happen was with a modded reaction, the game ran until I tried to use that reaction that crashed.
Probably not your issue but is there a chance something you were doing is the crash condition?
Also if you haven't already try looking through bug reports and consider posting the save somewhere so someone who is capable of being more helpful can take a look.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:49 pm »

I don't suppose you're doing any melting at the moment?

I've got a pig of a crash bug, and while I know it stops happening if I cancel all the melting jobs I don't know anything else about it. By using fastdwarf 1 1 and saving every second, I can get all the reachable items melted, so it's not a specific item triggering the crash.

Edit: One fix that seems to be working so far is to have DF minimised while the offending melting jobs go on. Does that work for you?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:25:21 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:08 am »

Allright I fixed it - turns out a ghost was responsible but I have no idea how or why.