Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding older versions  (Read 1086 times)

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
Modding older versions
« on: July 05, 2014, 07:52:57 pm »

Am I allowed to talk about mods for older versions? Thus far I've only played older versions. (Although I do intend to rectify that. Soon. Maybe.)
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Modding older versions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 07:58:22 pm »

Presumably, a mod being for an older version is no less valid than those for the current version, and with the update coming soon, all mods will be for an older version.  :P

Actually, I'd be interested in trying some older mods.
Take a closer look at this text!

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 08:01:00 pm »

Presumably, a mod being for an older version is no less valid than those for the current version, and with the update coming soon, all mods will be for an older version.  :P

Actually, I'd be interested in trying some older mods.

Ok, good.

I ask because I've been tinkering around with some dumb (and mostly really uncreative) mods, most of which are also fairly simple. Example: playable lizardmen in 31.25, because I'm a derpwaffle.

Also a civ overhaul mod based off of one of my old original stories.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:34 pm »

For the most part, modding v0.31 releases over modding v0.34 releases is not worth it due to how similar they are. If you want to mod old version, you should try 40d or the 2D versions as those could be far more interesting.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:55:35 pm »

For the most part, modding v0.31 releases over modding v0.34 releases is not worth it due to how similar they are. If you want to mod old version, you should try 40d or the 2D versions as those could be far more interesting.

It's the differences between 0.31 and 0.34 that made me want to play the former over the latter <_<

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:10:09 am »

It's the differences between 0.31 and 0.34 that made me want to play the former over the latter <_<
What's wrong with 0.34?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 08:13:49 am »

What's wrong with 0.34?
._.

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:15:26 am »

What's wrong with 0.34?

....Mostly features that can be disabled, but I'm also not too keen on the vastly increased number of animals. I already have trouble keeping track of them :P

(Granted, this is kind of a stupid gripe. I will probably update my mods for a more recent version once I get around to playing said more recent version.)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »

It is not hard to strip out animals you dislike, just time consuming :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS