Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a little help with new creature (pet barrel)  (Read 698 times)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a little help with new creature (pet barrel)
« on: July 05, 2014, 03:18:19 pm »

I'm trying to add my first creature to dwarf fortress, the idea is that it's a living barrel used as a pet, it can be killed for wood and booze.

I've come this far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do I go about the body design? I haven't really figured that out, will my current setup work or do I need to add a brain, skull and everything else too it? And how do I make it so it's body is made out of wood and has booze for blood? Many thanks in advance =)

Zambaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help with new creature (pet barrel)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:35:04 pm »

Further atempt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:53:03 pm »

I would suggest writing Hugo_the_dwarf, he made a living barrel creature with castes for each type of drink already. I think they are somewhere in the community mod?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 04:17:01 pm »

I can see a whole bunch of problems with this so far:

1. "[BLOOD:ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE" -  aside from missing its right-bracket, this is complete and total nonsense. You need to first define the material itself (e.g. [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]) and then define it as the creature's blood ([BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD]).
2. "[ITEMCORPSE:WOOD]" - ITEMCORPSE needs an item type+subtype and a material. For example, [ITEMCORPSE:WOOD:NONE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD] (as well as [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]).
3. "[MILKABLE:ALCOHOL]" - not only did you not specify the material properly, but you also failed to specify the milking rate. [MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ALCOHOL:20000] should let you "milk" the creature every 16 days, but you'll still have the problem of the "milk" being a miscellaneous liquid which your dwarves will not automatically drink, so you would need an additional custom reaction to convert it from LIQUID_MISC to DRINK.
4. "[TISSUE:WOOD]" - nice try, but you need to specify the tissue name (using [TISSUE_NAME:wood:wooden]) and the tissue mateerial (using [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:WOOD] in combination with the material definition required for step 2). You'll also need to specify which tissue layers will be made of wood.

Really, making a brand new creature is not something that can be accomplished by copying and pasting random pieces together - unless you get everything right, it's highly likely that it won't work at all.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.