Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starbound: Like Terraria in Space! Now Without Dev-Talk!  (Read 2356 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starbound: Like Terraria in Space! Now Without Dev-Talk!
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:58:24 am »

http://playstarbound.com/

What is Starbound? Well lets have the developers speak for themselves!

In Starbound, you take on the role of a character who’s just fled from their home planet, only to crash-land on another. From there you’ll embark on a quest to survive, discover, explore and fight your way across an infinite universe.

characters

You’ll encounter procedurally generated creatures and weapons, discover populated villages and abandoned temples. Explore planets dotted with dungeons, eyeball trees and treasure. Make use of over a hundred materials and over one thousand in-game objects to build a sprawling modern metropolis or a sleepy secluded cabin in the woods, and do all of it alone or with friends!

Starbound lets you live out your own story of space exploration, discovery and adventure. Settle down and farm the land, hop from planet to planet claiming resources, or make regular visits to populated settlements, taking on jobs and earning a living. NPCs are scattered about the worlds, offering quests and challenges for those looking for a little extra excitement in their lives.

Travelling

Traverse the stars with the starmap to find endless procedurally generated planets and creatures. Discover new crops, creatures and weapons, capture monsters to keep as companions and clear dungeons of their loot.

Complete quest lines that let you delve into the greater galactic mysteries! Who created the Glitch? What is Big Ape’s secret? Why are the Hylotl so uptight? From abandoned bunkers to creepy temples, Starbound’s richly detailed universe offers a host of places to investigate and tales to unfold. Follow the story or create your own, experience the game how YOU want to.

As developers, we’ve been inspired by all the games we grew up playing. From isometric 80s classics to Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid. Celebrated platformers like Mario and Sonic, RPGs such as Elder Scrolls and Ultima, and iconic handheld games such as Pokemon. Starbound draws on numerous classic influences, while taking a thoroughly modern approach to crafting, narrative and world-building. It’s an amalgamation of the games we loved as kids, and the games we love now, fully focused on providing the player with an engrossing, fun experience.

Players love to get creative, and with Starbound, we’ve tried to offer as much creative scope as possible. Foraging and crafting provides the player with numerous resources and items to kit themselves out to suit their playing style. Building allows you to create wonderful, expansive worlds to call your own. Fancy a campfire singalong? Just whip out a musical instrument and jam away. Always wanted to camp out in a hostile desert with buddies? Then head off into the wilderness of multiplayer, armed only with your wits (and a massive sword). Customise your spaceship to be your home away from home, then journey to an uncharted planet, and lay down the building blocks for a new life.

Video games offer untold scope for adventure and wonder, and with Starbound we hope to provide you with a memorable, exciting experience. We can’t wait for you to explore the universe we’ve created.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---
Topic Rules

-No Developer talk
-No Forum Talk

This is only for talk about the game and ONLY what is currently in the game or up on announcements. Mods and playing strategy as also ok.

This is not a topic split. By all means use the other Starbound topic to talk about gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:25:33 am by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound: Like Terraria in Space! Now Without Dev-Talk!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:42 am »

So, how much stuff in game isn't procedurally generated? Is there any sort of progression? Any characters to interact with?
._.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:05:09 am »

This IS a topic split, and it seems like a both unnecessary one, and a weak stab at trying to divorce Starbound from the problems that it's had.

There's no reason to have two different topics on it, especially as this one is trying to limit the scope. Bay12 attempts to be a non-biased forum (except to the glorious DF), and not one that you can really impose your own rules on what can and can't be talked about.

note: I am a big fan of Starbound - and I don't even feel that the 'problems' have been that bad - but this seems like a poor cover-up to stop people talking about certain issues
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:20:27 am »

No, this is just Neonivek being a dick and trying "to prove a point". The point, I assume, is that there's nothing Starbound-related to talk about without "devtalk" and hence nobody is going to use this thread.
Love, scriver~

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:17:45 am »

This whole post is a faulty reductio ad absurdum of someone elses post.

This should be deleted - it's only going to confuse people and it serves no real purpose.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:20:11 am »

No, this is just Neonivek being a dick and trying "to prove a point". The point, I assume, is that there's nothing Starbound-related to talk about without "devtalk" and hence nobody is going to use this thread.
Such an experiment is biased by the fact that, when presented with a 555+ pages thread and a single page thread about the same game, people are going to flock to the biggest one automatically. He won't be able to prove this point.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:25:08 am »

Indeed.
Love, scriver~

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 09:05:36 am »

Why does a point need proving to begin with? Can't threads exist and people post in them if-and-when desired? You know... like how forums normally work?

Of course there's a lot of dev things to talk about of a game in development. Duh? So??
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 10:11:29 am »

So at least two people were complaining about the (generally negative) discussions involving the dev team rather than the game, as they wanted to use the thread to read and talk about the game, not the devs.

I wouldn't have recommended this, but there was a chain of events leading to it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 10:23:29 am »

Alright given that all of you seem content to complain about nothing, I'll start this off.

I'm really digging the progression systems they are adding in, and hoping they will follow up the ship progression with a central hub world that progresses as well. Maybe one you can define or create yourself. As well as an upgrade path for the player, that they talked about awhile ago.

Beyond that I think they need to focus down on what really matters about the game, and make those features pop.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:56:08 am »

I'm fairly excited to see the non-combat areas of the game get more focus. The farming changes sound very interesting, so it will be neat to see that in practice. Allowing for more progression than "better pickaxe or better shooty/stabby implement" will let Starbound to distance itself from its competition. The combat is fun right now, if a little rough, but more depth will definitely help, too. I have a feeling that they'll be making more consistent-to-lore toolsets as well. The pickaxes will probably give way to more technologically impressive tools in the higher tiers. As it is, I like using the basic tools at first, since you've escaped in a ship that's barely functioning, perhaps even entirely unarmed. The new, more damaged ships fit that aesthetic better and make it fairly obvious why you have nothing but the most simple emergency survival tool available.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:00 am »

So at least two people were complaining about the (generally negative) discussions involving the dev team rather than the game, as they wanted to use the thread to read and talk about the game, not the devs.

I wouldn't have recommended this, but there was a chain of events leading to it.

What stopped them discussing the game while others discussed the devs?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.