Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I feed non-grazing animals?  (Read 848 times)

Urist McMontesOca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I feed non-grazing animals?
« on: July 04, 2014, 11:52:39 pm »

Yeah, I was trying to organize the pasturing of my animals, checking in the wiki how many tiles should I provide to this and that species, in order to feed them right, when I stumbled upon non-grazing animals...

They don't need to eat grass to live. This is the case of dogs, cats and pigs. And according to the wiki, dogs don't require to eat anything at all.

So the question is: does this apply to all non-grazing animals or some do require to be fed somehow?

And ultimately, and out of curiosity, does anyone even know if this is here to stay or is going to change in the future?

Thanks in advance.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

Re: How do I feed non-grazing animals?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 11:56:51 pm »

It is true that if they don't eat grass they don't eat. Well, Tigermen have to eat meat... But nothing else.
But that will probably be fixed eventually.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I feed non-grazing animals?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »

It is true that if they don't eat grass they don't eat. Well, Tigermen have to eat meat... But nothing else.
But that will probably be fixed eventually.

I believe gremlins need to eat meat as well. If you mod other sentients to have the tamable pet tags so that they can join your fort like the tigermen and gremlins, I believe they will also share this behavior. But your right, other than a couple of weird exceptions all non grazing animals don't need to be fed. Non-grazers were just given a hand wave by Toady for the mean time and are presumed to forage for themselves. (In reality they need not eat at all.)