Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Military Best Practice (0.34.11)  (Read 2043 times)

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Best Practice (0.34.11)
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:56 am »

No, what matters is becoming legendary +xx. Legendary +5 is no relevant cutoff in military skills.
DFhack's labor view shows military skills as maxing out at Legendary +5. I can't find any reference to military skills not maxing out. Reference?

Takes a long time to get that many XP. You'd need some sort of glitch to go that high. But, it has been done.
If I look at the creatures with DFHack, in one case the dwarf went from rank 1 to rank 89 in axe skill, where 0 is dabbling, 15 is grand master, and 20 is legendary+5. The other skills that became "legendary" also gained about 89 ranks.

So yes, the bug does appear to convert the creature into a god of war.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 07:03:16 am »

Time will also do the job. I have some dwarves with military skills over a hundred, and that's with a 50% skill penalty. One is a level 146 Miner, and that's with 25% XP for Mining.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 09:51:18 am »

It's also very easy to observe in adventurer mode - just grind a skill (wrestling is easiest, although you can also hit stuff with a spoon and hope for a good bug roll(*)) and the game itself will tell you that your skill is rated as, say, "Legendary (3460/3600)" (that one translates to legendary +16). There also are DFHack tools that actually look at the in-game experience without artificially cutting off display at L+5.

The L+5 cutoff is a pure display limitation of Dwarf Therapist (and apparently labour view), not a limit within the game. There are mentions that some civilian skills stop improving in effect at L+5, but i've seen no substantial claim of this for military skills, and observation speaks against the assumption.

(*) there's a bug that results in wildly random skill increments when attacking with a "tool" that has no associated weapon skill (minecarts, wheelbarrows, nest boxes, carving forks, ladles, several others). Since they have no defined skill, the game grabs random bits from memory to assign a skill and skill improvement rate, which can result in runs with a ladle where each swing gains you ~40k experience, i.e. one swing gets you to legendary +8, the second to legendary +20 etc.
If you end up with a low increment, you can just save and restore the game and get a new combo.
Pages: 1 [2]