Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Scum Victory)  (Read 45812 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away Day 2
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2014, 12:35:37 pm »

Blitz: Your day one play, although it mostly consisted of active-lurking, made me think of you more as a confused newb townie than a confused newb mafia member. However, your day two deflective play (you're giving short, flowery answers with very little value) and your rather haughty attitude (which, in my opinion, is just another attempt to deflect questions) makes you out to be scummy. Also, you have yet to vote or even FoS once. Is there anyone who you'd vote for? Is there anyone your suspicious of?  Do you have any reads at all? Also, please correct me if I'm wrong ICs, but lurking is the act of simply not posting/posting an incredibly small amount, while active-lurking is posting, but posting only low detail things to make it seem like your still in the game without giving any content.
Well, like I said, I don't think Deathsword is scum, all things considered. Even if he hasn't posted much, his posts have a high level and quality of content, he has given valid reasons for not being able to posts, some of which I'm able to confirm, particularly the touchscreen issue. I don't have any other reads, though, mostly because I'm shit at reading people's intentions over the internet.
Thanks for the info on lurking and active-lurking, by the way.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »

Deathsword: You've posted a lot less than many of us. While those posts have been asking questions, you haven't really been as active as you could be. Could you give your reads on the situation and of each of us? Why do you think Gulddom was stabbed and not one of us more active townies?
Most of it I've already addressed. Most read as null to me, but that is because I tend to focus on one or two players at a time until I feel sure they are scum or town, while keeping watch for any slips by others. yobbo feel suspicious to me, but I can't find anything scummy to his posts yet. Blitz feels like lazy scum. Or worse, lazy town.

-snip-

Deathsword: You were last online and active on other parts of the forum at about an hour ago. You haven't posted in four days despite the new day and having a quota of questions directed your way. I hate to be that guy, but dude, you're looking really scummy right now just on account of that, not to mention the strange dynamic between you and BlitzDungeoneer that's been evolving... Since everyone else has a post since the day's started, could you please hop on and give us, at the very least, some reads or possibly a rundown of where you feel the situation is?
Phone browsing is a wonderful and terrible thing. I fail to see a dynamic with Blitz other than calling him out on being horribly lazy and trying to get him to do real posts. Once again, the rest of your requests is above.

Deathsword (And Frostmoon): The dynamic I speak of is explained in some amount of detail the post you quoted. I get this feeling that BlitzDungeoneer is scum and, due to being new and a little unsure, is flailing around a lot. Notice how quickly he went from saying that he didn't think Deathsword was scummy to possibly voting for him? It's like he's not sure if he wants to protect or bus him, assuming Deathsword is mafia. So, really, it's not exactly what Deathsword is doing, since his actions are mostly null tells or slightly town, but what BlitzDungeoneer is doing with relation to him. That's not exactly fair, I know, but mafia isn't designed for us to be fair to one another. :P What I hope is to be able to find some information out about Deathsword's alignment overnight, since I have a fairly good feeling that BlitzDungeoneer is our best lynching candidate due to posts like this and the constant noncommittal/low-content answers.

For example, in his last post, look at the content with the quotes stripped out. I've also gone through and struck through repeated information as well as affirmations of answers to his questions:

Hmm...
That's what I assumed Scripten was accusing you of, which seemed accurate at the time of the post, what with the 'not posting in 4 days despite being online 1 hour ago'. You were using a moblie, then? Explains somewhat, but I'm able to use a mobile just fine with quotes. Most of the time. iPods and large quotes don't mix very well, particularly when I have to delete bits of the post.

Does someone mind explaining the difference between active lurking and just lurking, by the way? I'm slightly confused, since they seem interchangeable most of the time from what I've seen in both this agme and the One-day Mafia I was in, but with this post I'm not so sure.

-snip-

I mentiond this earlier, and you have too, but... touchscreens and quotes don't mix very well.
Losing town on the first day is normal? That's good to know, thanks.
Yes a generic question from a complete noob. What are the odds? But yeah, it was generic, and nobody asked it at the time, so I felt it should be asked.

-snip-

Checking if I'm even online. There's one fact. Checking if I posted at all during that time. That's another.

-snip-

Okay, I'll try to at least search them up.

-snip-

Yep, so much info I can put in a fairly simple question. I mean, there's so much more that I could have put in those questions. Or is there? If there is, I just don't see it.
As for the parroting; I thought it was a valid question.
Opinions on what? There is nothing for me to form an opinion on so far. Probably.

-snip-

Something we can agree on; Phone Browsing.

So we're still looking at a post with very little to go on, which is the definition of active lurking. Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and tackle the bits of this that haven't been looked at yet. Frostmoon explained the difference between lurking and active lurking quite well in her post. Another scummy tactic I've noticed is padding posts with repeat information, either from your own or others' posts. Fluffing up an "Okay" is just as bad as posting a single word response. See how much of BlitzDungeoneer's post was fluff?

At this point, BlitzDungeoneer, you should be able to put content into your posts. Do you see how almost everyone else's questions are pointed, directing at someone else with the intent of clarifying what they said or getting more out of them? There's a few generic questions out there, but other than strategy/rules clarifications like the active lurking/lurking bit and asking others to essentially play the game for you (I'll get into that below), that's the only question in your post. We're not all completely new to the game here, but we ARE all still beginners.

So, what I'm seeing a lot of is you asking others to find questions for you to answer and ask, and also to tell you what your opinions should be. We want you to be examining posts and forming logical conclusions that you then give us and then, from those conclusions, we expect you to formulate questions to get information. You've given very little to us in terms of reasoning or conclusions. There's a few, but we're greedy for content, and telling us that you're just bad at reading intentions doesn't really do much for the town. Do you understand how that makes you appear to be, at worst, scum, and at best, a liability?

Frostmoon: First of all, apologies for not looking up your gender. My bad, there. As far as Illgeo goes, he is fairly scummy, but it's hard to tell with the way that BlitzDungeoneer is playing. If he [Blitz], is town, then my first target would be Illgeo, since a lot of my suspicion for Deathsword is from the way BlitzDungeoneer is acting toward him. You are right that Deathsword's most recent post does change my opinion a bit, but I am definitely keeping my FoS on him. As for Gulddom, his flip gave next to no information to me. I thought he was most likely town to begin with and I will admit that choosing him left very little trace back to scum.

Yobbo: Bandwagoning is a fairly scummy tactic. It often indicates that a player is trying to avoid being suspicious by starting a bandwagon on a town player while still letting them get a vote in one someone they know not to be scum. In that case, though, I feel like Nerjin may have been frustrated.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2014, 01:20:48 pm »

{On lurking vs active lurking:

Lurking is being active and posting on B12, but not in this thread. Active lurking is posting in this thread, but the posts contain no true content. They are mostly generic responses, deflections and weak questions to make whomever's posting them look active while actually doing no effort to scumhunt at all.

Also, I could swear it was guaranteed roles. Must've thought it was like another BM I ICed in the past.

Note to those posting from phones: place a "PFP" on the start of your post, so people can know.}
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2014, 01:30:27 pm »

PFP
Frostmoon: To explain my shortness : My laptop is currently dead, and as such I've been posting from my phone, which as mentioned above really sucks, so it's quite hard to write full length posts, but I'll try to write abit more.
To explain my quietness: No one was addressing questions to me at the time so I wasn't posting much, but I have been reading, so I'm aware of the allegations towards Blitz and Deathsword.
Anailaters list of Reads and feelings V1
Frostmoon: Seems very much town and very helpful, hasn't give any major scum tells that ive seen and is tied with Scripten for least scummy.
Scripten: See above, though I'll admit it's weird how intend the two are with each other...
yobbo: Despite the early game suspicions I had Yobbo doesn't come across as overtly scummy to me anymore, however he could post a teensy bit more.
anailater: Man he's one cool guy.
Gulddom: His death didn't tell us much did it.. I still need to go over his old posts though.
BlitzDungeoneer: Man the hole just keeps going deeper, he makes some good arguments but my gut is telling me he's not trustworthy however it told me the same thing about Nerjin so... Yeah.
Illgeo: Only seems to he posting very small posts, and not very often quite suspicious.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 16, 2014, 02:24:54 pm »

Frostmoon:Hard to say.
Blitz looks scum or very newbie town.
You and Deathswors look townish.
Hard to say about others.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »

Illgeo, please add a little more to your posts. Look above at my explanations to BlitzDungeoneer for the reasons why you should be doing this.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2014, 02:50:38 pm »

((I hate posting from this damn phone, second time posting this.))
PfP[/u]
All info I've found on night lynch victim Gulddom
[spolier=all Posts]
Apologies for the late post. I haven't been near my computer for most of the day.
Frostmoon: To be honest I'm not sure what I expect. I have read through a couple of previous mafia threads and have a good idea of how play works though.
Illgeo: I've never played mafia before. I have played a couple similar games such as One Night Ultimate Werewolf and The Resistance however.
Scripten: I'm not sure how to separate inexperience with scum tells.
Second Frostmoon It seems like active lurking is one of the most major scum tells similar to what Blitzdungeon has done.
yobbo So far I'm not leaning towards anyone being scum except for possibly Blitzdungeon who I am suspicious of. Although this could just be inexperience.
Gulddom: Welcome to the game! :3 So, why is Blitz scummier than everyone else? Is there anyone that's giving you a townie vibe, or is everyone else either neutral or null?
Frostmoon: I explained in my post earlier Blitz has been guilty of a lot of active lurking and tried to rolefish. (Although I think the rolefishing was an honest mistake.) I don't have any real leanings towards anyone else being scum or townies.
Quote from: yobbo
Guiddom: Who do you think hasn't posted enough to get a good read on, and why aren't you asking them questions?
Yobbo: Blitz hasn't posted much recently. As to the questions. I honestly was a bit overwhelmed at all of the information and couldn't think of anything.
Blitz: Do you think that playing dumb would be a good scum tactic for a player's first few games?
Everyone: I'm still a bit confused about the idea's of buddying and distancing. Could someone explain that to me?
Gulddom: Welcome to the game! :3 So, why is Blitz scummier than everyone else? Is there anyone that's giving you a townie vibe, or is everyone else either neutral or null?
Frostmoon: I explained in my post earlier Blitz has been guilty of a lot of active lurking and tried to rolefish. (Although I think the rolefishing was an honest mistake.) I don't have any real leanings towards anyone else being scum or townies.
Guiddom: Who do you think hasn't posted enough to get a good read on, and why aren't you asking them questions?
Yobbo: Blitz hasn't posted much recently. As to the questions. I honestly was a bit overwhelmed at all of the information and couldn't think of anything.
Blitz: Do you think that playing dumb would be a good scum tactic for a player's first few games?
Everyone: I'm still a bit confused about the idea's of buddying and distancing. Could someone explain that to me?
Blitz: It would be helpful if you could post some of these facts rather than just telling us there are some.

Spoiler: anailater (click to show/hide)

Anailater

Spoiler: Frostmoon (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Scripten (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yobbo (click to show/hide)

game ends  less than six hours

Oh... Um... well I guess good game everyone? I didn't know this was a one lynch mafia.
Nerjin: I know this is the internet and all, but it seems like you're coming across are really hostile towards everyone which is not the way I would think to go about proving I'm not scum. Also this bit you posted earlier has been bothering me.
Well, I honestly don't care. All that matters to me is that we get the scum in the end. If I die in the process... Meh. I trust people in the game to play logically. If you see something up with my play then you need to press me on it.
You tell us to press you if we see something suspicious yet you get defensive when we do. And while I'm still suspicious of Blitz, I'm voting for you due to the reasoning you gave in your post.
[/spoiler]
So gathered info
He was town
He suspected Blitz but voted Nerjin
Nerjin was also town
He only posted a maximum of 8 times
Opinions?
My opinion is one of two
1) He was killed off because he knew that Blitz was scum
2) He was killed off because he didn't post all that much.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2014, 02:52:35 pm »

PFP
Scripten: Well, yeah, I can see why I'd be a liability, what with my reads not likely beig inaccurate.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2014, 06:30:08 pm »

Don't have time to post now, will post more later, just wanted to answer this:
Yobbo: At the end of D1 you claimed I failed to answer a question. However, after reading it quite a few times, I haven't found that question. If you still want it answered, could you ask it again?
Illgeo and Deathsword: What made Blitz look so scummy? Just a lot of low content posts? How is that different from a new town player wanting to participate but not knowing how to get the ball rolling?
Was it this one? Because I answered it in this post
It's not really that important as it was just a random question. It was this one:
Deathsword: Assuming Nerjin is scum, what will you do to make sure players learn the most from the experience?
At the time i saw not answering questions (even irrelevant ones) as kind of scummy, so i mentioned it, but i don't think it needs an answer now.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2014, 01:37:23 am »

Questions Blitz did not answer:

Blitz: Who seems more suspicious: yobbo or anailater?

Scripten: I can't really comment on this.
Why not? Are you trying to hide something?

Frostmoon: The fact that anailater was quick to cast suspicion, but scared to use the vote.
I don't feel much on the other players, really. There isn't much to feel, since a majority of them haven't commented on me or my actions in the slightest. That said, both yobbo and anailater seem suspicious.
Scum are pretty self-centering, since the game does revolve around their existence. If people are fuzzy because they haven't commented on you maybe it's because you don't feel your scum-status threatened by them? Why yobbo and anailater suspicious?

After having read thru the entire thread just for questions directed at Blitz and his answers or non-answers to them, these are the ones i found (which is pretty much as i remembered) that were simply not answered. Furthermore, after seeing which questions were answered, it seems to me that not answering these specific questions is in fact super scummy. Especially now that i've seen that Blitz can in fact read and answer questions when he wants to.

Guiddom and Deathsword both were not answered when they asked for clarification as to which "facts" Blitz was referring to but i don't want to fish up that whole set of quotes. He did answer eventually when pressed by Deathsword on it.

If i hadn't gone back over the entire thread for this, i might well have believed that i was wrong about him not answering questions and left it at that.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 17, 2014, 02:12:53 am »

Everyone: First of all, I'm female. Second of all, although this question is a bit late, are you guys surprised by Gulddom's and Nerjin's alignment flip?
I wasn't at all sure Guiddom was town but i'm not surprised. As for Nerjin… i don't think susprised is the right word for it. Some of the stuff he was saying towards the end of the day seemed really weird for scum (like fingering anailater, obviously to give us his last thoughts, which meant that he thought it'd be worth-while to do so, which would only be the case if he came up town), but not weird enough for me to think he wasn't still the most scummy. So i guess i wouldn't've been surprised at all if he had turned out to be scum. But wasn't as surprised as i could've been that he didn't.

By the way the current Supernatural had a really nice post day one where someone did exactly that (gave info that would've been pointless unless they were town, when they were in exactly the same position). It was pretty good. Made me think they were town.

They weren't.

yobbo:
Frostmoon -- super friendly with everyone. points suspicion at people one at a time and then backs off. this actually seems a lot to me like buddying and distancing as they've been explained. but frostmoon (along with scripten) actually pushed a lot to get people to talk about buddying which seems like it would be a bad idea if she were actively doing it. then again maybe it's something like "lampshading" where you point something out and people think "oh it can't be that or they wouldn't have said it". i don't know the word for this. maybe it's not even a thing?
I'm mostly backing off because while I have a few people giving me a townish read (namely, you and anailater), the people giving a scummy read are sort of dipping out of neutral and, well, scummy. I'd prefer not to lynch town (again), so I'm stepping rather lightly. I'm also finding I'm more of a mass questioner type than a tunneling type.  As for your second point (the part about lampshading), I actually have seen that trick used before. Also, how is Scripten "directing people's suspicions"? Are you only following Nerjin's beliefs when it comes to anailater?
Yes, when it comes to anailater all i really have against him is Nerjin's opinion, which i'm giving more weight to now that i know Nerjin was definitely town. I'm still pretty convinced by the results of my initial attack (on anailater).

As for how Scripten is directing suspicions… i don't even know. I read back over his recent posts to try to figure out what gave me that feeling, but there's nothing i can point to. It's just a really persistent feeling. I don't think it's enough to go on at all. And i think it could be just that he's trying to get people to be active by saying things like "being active is good for town", and that gives me the feeling that he's also saying "so those who aren't must be scum, hinthint". But it's true that being active is good for town, and important to say it, especially now. I feel silly even typing this all out -.-

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLVIII: In a Galaxy Far Far Away (Signups closed)
« Reply #191 on: July 17, 2014, 04:26:22 am »

In response to yobbo's post: I mentioned I probably missed some questions, yes? You seem to have blatantly ignored this. Thanks for providing me with a list of the questions I didn't notice, by the way. Really helpful of you.
Blitz: Who seems more suspicious: yobbo or anailater?
Currently? Yobbo, as he has blatantly ignored my post in which I said that I probably missed a question, and proceeded to say that since I didn't answer these, I'm super scummy. To quote a certain IC; Fun fact, I'm human. I miss things soemtimes. Go figure, right? I mean, it's totally impossible for a person to not notice something.
Scripten: I can't really comment on this.
Why not? Are you trying to hide something?
Nope. It's the simple fact that I am unable to provide an answer to the question. I didn't know (and still don't) how I'm going to seperate Mafia slip-ups from inexperience.
Frostmoon: The fact that anailater was quick to cast suspicion, but scared to use the vote.
I don't feel much on the other players, really. There isn't much to feel, since a majority of them haven't commented on me or my actions in the slightest. That said, both yobbo and anailater seem suspicious.
Scum are pretty self-centering, since the game does revolve around their existence. If people are fuzzy because they haven't commented on you maybe it's because you don't feel your scum-status threatened by them? Why yobbo and anailater suspicious?
1. I don't understand that question. Mind rephrasing it?
2. Answered already. Where was it...
Make accusations? What do you take this for? A game of Maf- oh wait.
Well, yobbo certainly seemed quick to accuse, so he's suspicious. Not voting yet, but it seems likely. However, he does bring up a valid point about anailater, so he is also a suspect.
The valid point being anailater was quick to cast suspicion, but scared to actually vote. I'm not entirely convinced on the whole scared part, though. More like... reluctant.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2014, 06:19:04 am »

In response to yobbo's post: I mentioned I probably missed some questions, yes? You seem to have blatantly ignored this.
Oh i noticed.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2014, 06:21:37 am »

In response to yobbo's post: I mentioned I probably missed some questions, yes? You seem to have blatantly ignored this.
Oh i noticed.
So I see. You noticed it so much you blatantly ignored it.

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:48 am »

Oh i noticed.
So I see. You noticed it so much you blatantly ignored it.
Not at all.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24