Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Learning the ropes . . . with a knot in them  (Read 1634 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Learning the ropes . . . with a knot in them
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:48:06 am »

I am still on my first fortress and learning the ropes. I am confused about a few aspects.

My animals are not going into pastures. When I designate an area as a pasture my animals are not leaving my dining area and are starving to death.

I have a TON of wood that is not being gathered. It is across a river and there is a bridge to go across, but none of my dwarfs are gathering anything. They are not forbidden. I have plenty of idle ones.

There are barrels in my refuse stock pile and I have no clue why. As far as I can tell there is no destination for the zone any such item. Could the wood problem be related?

On the starvation note, I had a horse die of it, which is how I noticed my animals not leaving. I want it to be butchered (am aware that the meat from it might be scarce at best) before it rots so I can get the hide.

Here is a link for my fortress:

https://mega.co.nz/#!ONQlGRbZ!om70eb3sfzu3FGgDKGng6BY5eNyOZ4dUavzUfCq8spY
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:22:15 am by ykcud »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Learning the ropes . . . with a knot in them
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:54:05 am »

Animals must be brought into pastures by dwarves. They will not go into pastures on their own. Make sure that you assigned the animals to the pastures.

Make sure you have large enough stockpiles to hold all the wood. The barrels may not have a stockpile either.

Dead pets cannot be butchered. They must be set to slaughter while still alive. Dead wild animals can be butchered, however.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:07:29 am »

For my stockpile size, it has quite a bit of room.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 10:19:29 am »

Check your (o)rders screen.  It's not uncommon to accidentally turn off wood gathering.

If you don't have a stockpile for empty barrels, dwarfs will drop them randomly after drinking them dry. Barrels can end up scattered randomly around the map.

You can assign animals to a pen/pasture with capital (N) in the zone menu.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:21:12 am by kingubu »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 10:19:44 am »

My animals are not going into pastures. When I designate an area as a pasture my animals are not leaving my dining area and are starving to death.

Press i and move the cursor to the pasture zone.  Then press N to start assigning animals to the pasture.

I have a TON of wood that is not being gathered. It is across a river and there is a bridge to go across, but none of my dwarfs are gathering anything. They are not forbidden. I have plenty of idle ones.

1) Burrows
2) Physical access to the wood and to the stockpile
3) Empty tiles in the stockpile
4) Stockpile should be set to accept all the relevant types of wood (this is on by default, but it could have been toggled off)
5) Stockpile should accept from anywhere, not just from links (very easy to hit a by mistake)
6) There might be a global order for gathering wood (from the o menu)
7) Workers must have wood hauling enabled

Probably more things that I can't think of right now....

There are barrels in my refuse stock pile and I have no clue why. As far as I can tell there is no desination for the zone any such item. Could the wood problem be related?

If you don't have a stockpile that wants the barrels right now, they'll just sit wherever they happen to be.  If a dwarf happened to drop a barrel there for whatever reason (perhaps he was drinking from it and emptied it), it'll stay there until needed.

Also I am curious how to post my region file. I read somewhere you can do that but I am not sure how to go about this.

Inside data/save/ you have directories named region1, region2 and so on (one for each world you have generated).  Archive/compress that directory using whatever software you prefer, and upload it wherever you like (your own personal web site, or dropbox, or DFFD).  Make sure it can be extracted with the same directory structure that it has on your disk now.  In modern archive software this is generally the default, but don't use any options that "flatten" the hierarchy into a single directory.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:41:23 am »

Could you recommend a site to upload it?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:20:37 am »

When you say gathering wood, do you mean wood being chopped or chopped wood being gathered? Both have reasons why they may not be working, but they are both different reasons (in most cases)
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:28:05 am »

Its already chopped, it just needs to be gathered.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 03:41:23 pm »

On the dead horse, you won't be able to butcher it. There is a bug with tame animals that if they die of starvation or old age they can no longer be butchered. I think the wiki says that this is true for tame animals that die from anything other than being slaughtered, but I'm not certain that's true. I've seen tame animals killed by goblins end up in the butcher's shop, I think. Also, be sure that your butcher's shop isn't located very far from your refuse piles. There is a maximum distance within which the shop will search for 'butcher animal' jobs, and they will only take those jobs from corpses in a refuse pile.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 04:04:32 pm »

"Slaughtering" directly turns the live animal into meat and various body parts and can _only_ be done with tame animals. "Butchering" is prying apart a carcass, and can _never_ be done with (the remains of) tame animals. I don't know about exceptions, but if they exist, they must be pretty rare. In general, "stray [animal] corpse" = completely unusable for you.

Butcher shops also don't give a hoot about refuse piles. Corpses sitting on the floor are tasked without trouble, the only requirement is that the corpse must be close enough. You can simply dump the corpse near the butcher's shop, then reclaim it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 04:25:27 pm »

If something butcherable is in a refuse pile, it'll create a 'butcher animal' job regardless of how far away the butcher's is. Sometimes good, sometimes not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 07:16:24 pm »

Butcher shops also don't give a hoot about refuse piles. Corpses sitting on the floor are tasked without trouble, the only requirement is that the corpse must be close enough. You can simply dump the corpse near the butcher's shop, then reclaim it.

This is directly counter to my own experience. Are you manually queuing up butcher animal jobs when you do this?

If something butcherable is in a refuse pile, it'll create a 'butcher animal' job regardless of how far away the butcher's is. Sometimes good, sometimes not.

In retrospect, it's possible I developed a mistaken impression while still under the influence of the burrows bug, which wreaked havoc on my meat industry in several of my early forts.

In any case, there is plenty of misinformation on these forums without me adding to it, so apologies if I've inadvertantly done so.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »

One way around the burrows bug is to make a whole-site burrow on embark. That way, any two things on the map will always be sharing at least one burrow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

While I feel comfortable with the answers to my other questions, I am still pondering the log issue as well as which site to use to upload my fortress.

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23:20 am »

Never mind about recommending a site to upload I think I found one.
Pages: [1] 2