Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: From discovering DF to your trek ariving at the forums  (Read 1485 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
From discovering DF to your trek ariving at the forums
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:49:25 am »

I am curious about where everyone learned about DF, or how they came across it. Was your home randomly sieged by goblins and decided to look up online about how to deal with such a problem then a link about Dwarf Fortress caught your eye? Perhaps some migrants arrived mistaking your residents as a fortress? Do you suffer from too many kittens and thought the term "catplosion" wasn't termed yet and wanted to make sure? I also want to know how you ended up on the forums.

As for me; I was watching Fodablehuman videos on chezapocalypse. One video I came across was about Minecraft which I enjoy playing. But it was also about this game called "Dwarf Fortress". The more the video talked about this game the more I became intrigued. The very last thing that convinced me to play it was the fact it was free.

I tried the game out and needless to say I was over my head. I had no clue how to even start playing the game. So I found some video tutorials and followed along. It got me a good start. But one thing led to another and in the grand scheme of things what took place in the video was different from what was happening. For instance, the video tutorial showed how to make a well to a brook. I had no such luck being in a swamp with frozen pounds. Even if they did thaw the water was stagnant which is bad news. Another example in the video there was a migration wave of about 12 or so . . . I got 47. At the time I was supplemented looking things up on the wiki to answer some of my questions. Some I could not find. I looked for a forum and ended up here. Still have yet to ask the questions though . . . whoops. Thinking about uploading my fortress as well to see if I am doing ok or if there are things I can improve on.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From discovering DF to your trek ariving at the forums
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 10:26:17 am »

I think I was introduced to Dwarf Fortress by some people who played both DF and another game that I was also playing.  There are a bunch of overlaps like that for me, so I can't even say which cross-pollination it was.  Could have been Nethack, or Kingdom of Loathing, or one of the Angband family of games, or Tales of Maj'Eyal.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ScegfOd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 01:04:25 pm »

I was trying to figure out what the heck the axe of the 12th bay was referring to after playing Heaven and Hearth xD
Also, that game is filled with jerks, this game doesn't have a simple enough interface for jerks to survive :D
Why you kids feed troll?
We're just keeping it around so we can harvest its fur.

Aramara Meibi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 10:34:32 am »

there were enough references to the insanity of DF (not to mention the actual article)on tvtropes to have me check it out. the disaster of my first fortress had me look up the wiki. the disaster of my second fortress had me come to the forums.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 04:10:59 pm »

Boatmurdered LP, wiki wander (I can't resist a wiki wander, even if I have no interest in the wiki's subject), here.

I think TV Tropes might still have been BtVS-only when I started playing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:19 am »

Got introduced via 1 f jef's series of videos a few years back and have been enjoying df ever since.As for the forums noticed the forum link and decided to take a look and thats all there is to that.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 01:48:01 am »

I first heard of it reading some online article about if video games can be considered an art form which brought up the Museum of Modern Art's recent video game inductions. One of those games was an interesting title I hadn't heard of called Dwarf Fortress.

I read a little bit about it and tried playing it cold, with no instruction. Needless to say it ended with me cursing the crack head interface. After failing to figure out how to make my dwarves tunnel down for 10 minutes strait I gave up on it.

I then stumbled across DF again while reading through TV tropes about a year later which led me to Boat Murdered which led to me deciding to try playing it for real and actually reading the wiki first. Everything was gravy after that.

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 07:53:23 am »

Rock, Paper, Shotgun put me onto Bravemule. Then I read bits of the wiki. Found the forums from the wiki while looking for more about Cacame. Lurked on the forums for a bit before starting to play.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.

lament

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:51:53 pm »

Oh wow. That's been a while. I found out about the game from an article in Electronic Gaming Monthly about 7 or 8 years ago. (anyone else remember that?)

I don't recall the game being too difficult to learn, but I did have to read up on a lot of things. I just did a forum search and I think my first post was a farming question.

I have been playing every release off and on since then. I just started back up again a couple weeks ago and was thrilled to see that the new release was right around the corner!

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:50:16 pm »

I was playing nethack and some friends said, "that looks like dwarf fortress"

A year or two later I couldn't figure out how to specify leather shields in a uniform. So I came to the forums to learn that you can't.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:17 pm »

You can specify leather or highwood though, and since both of those materials have the same density they're pretty much the same thing.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:57 pm »

One of my friends saw it on a yahoo "top free games" list. I sadly couldn't play it at the time (since it was windows only then and we were a mac family) but shortly after that Toady came out with the first mac version of DF and I've been happily here ever since!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dark_Toker

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Semi Functioning Elf Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 12:14:45 pm »

PC Gamer article about three years ago about 7 drunks digging their way to hell did it for me for me took me about a year to find this place and to my eternal shame even longer to join three years in and its still all I can do to get a basic fort up and running lol.

DT ;)
Seven years now and I can almost play this fucking game

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 01:17:39 am »

Roguebasin, I read a bunch of LPs. This was around December 2012, and I startedd playing around June 2013. I got on the forums for this release.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:12:57 am »

I read boatmurdered back when it was new on Something awful but then forgot all about DF untill early 2010 when I randomly stumbled apon After action reporter's excellent but uinfinished Tutorial for 40d.
http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
The cute 16 bit esque Graphics did it for me and I soon went way off the Tutorial and started screwing around pumping magma and building wooden towers to fill with magma, also Fire imps everywhere destroying my stockpiles.
It was months later when .30 came out that I finally finished the 40D tutorial, and then months later I finally joined the forums (though I had been lurking since before .30 even came out) I played rather a lot around 2010-2011 but after 2012 came out I could never get to grips with the new stockpile mechanics and just kinda stopped playing, however I've been constantly on the forums and awaiting the new version eagerly.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2