Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If you could see anything in DF, what would it be?  (Read 4512 times)

ykcud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If you could see anything in DF, what would it be?
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:52:13 pm »

I want to start this off by saying that this is not a thread to suggest ideas. I want a "It would be so cool if . . . " kind of thread, if that make sense. For example (albeit bad examples) something along the lines of "If I could make anything, it would be so cool if jaws was in the game! he could eat your dwarfs if they get too close to the water!" or "I would love to see aliens, it would be so absurd that its awesome".

What would I like to see? I would love to see dinosaurs! Ya, they dont exactly go along with the theme exactly, but still. "velociraptor1 bites dwarf 1 in the arm, the arm severed and has flown in an arc. velociraptor2 scratches Dwarf 1's neck, severing an artery. velociraptor3 bites Dwarf 1's right foot and severs it. Veleorapter 4 has intellectual discussion with velocorapter 5 about the recent New York Times article regarding Iceland's economy." mauled to death by velociraptors. OMG MOST AWESOME DEATH!

Pffft, forget adamant armor; how about a dwarf or 2 with Trex leather armor. Win

How about goblins Flintstone siege you riding all different manors of dinosaurs. "guys, I know we are under siege right now by dinosaurs and goblins, and dieing by bee-lining straight to the beer and beating up Yoshi sounds enticing, but . . . they decided to surround our alchol stash with hundreds of compies . . . they have a sick sense of humor." Nice!

What would you guys like to see?

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: If you could see anything in DF, what would it be?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:53:55 pm »

Well, now, I think it would be pretty darn cool to have dwarves breakdance on my stone tables during parties, with a play-by-play commentary screen.
Take a closer look at this text!

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:30:49 pm »

An actual magic system, or at least potions of some sort.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:31:36 pm »

siege weapons that destroy constructions. for dwarves to both use and fight against.  (I suppose part of this is being able to send out your own armies and such)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:57:55 pm »

When a dwarf becomes unhappy, their traditional ASCII happy face would change into a frown of despair.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Mohl

• Bay Watcher
  • L O D S OF E M O N E!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:50 pm »

Taking see in a different way here. I wanna see an actual picture of planepacked. As for additions, Foul Blendec civ.
Demanded a farmer give me his gold, he refused, I stabbed him in the throat and asked again. He was much more cooperative.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »

I would love to see cutscenes of the hordes of adorable kittens during a catsplosion.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »

Incorporeal monsters with the power to pass through walls and stone.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:01 pm »

Space Dwarves. In Space. Doing Space Dwarf Things. In Space. Like mining space rocks. In space. And fighting space monsters. In Space. And having space tantrums. In Space. And Digging Too Deep. In Space. And killing Space Elves. In Space. Space Elves? Preposterous, it would never work. Pretend that last bit never happened. In Space.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:39:27 am »

Space Dwarves. In Space. Doing Space Dwarf Things. In Space. Like mining space rocks. In space. And fighting space monsters. In Space. And having space tantrums. In Space. And Digging Too Deep. In Space. And killing Space Elves. In Space. Space Elves? Preposterous, it would never work. Pretend that last bit never happened. In Space.

You mean this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 12:50:13 am »

You mean this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That one... For what it's done, that one gets to live. That can be Space Cacame. The rest can have their planet eaten by a rampaging retcon or something, as long as they're not bothering my Space Fortress about the Space Trees, I don't care.

However, the Space Goblins have a different opinion.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 03:21:14 am »

I would love to see cutscenes of the hordes of adorable kittens during a catsplosion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZ6MnTEz9E -- when the butcher shows up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS47v1j29ec -- a dozen cats attempting to adopt that lady
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

black47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 11:55:47 am »

This might blow your mind, then. The universe is made of stone, planets are holes in the universe. Dwarves are its astronauts drillonauts, of course

OT: I would like to see a feature to sort of change from fortress mode to adventure mode "on the fly". That is, if I'm being sieged and I send my militia to fight the invaders, I can control my most badass dwarf for a while and lead the attack. And then return to fortress mode and keep playing.
I think DFHack lets you change to adv mode like this, but everything breaks and you can't go back to fortress mode.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:58:52 am by black47 »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 12:17:57 pm »

Trains.
Imagine having a train station going through your fort, or making a rich network of railways deep beneath the surface, and the adventurer mode possibilities - would you like to set foot in the greatest dwarven train station in their very mountainhome?

Because I would.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 03:17:37 pm »

This might blow your mind, then. The universe is made of stone, planets are holes in the universe. Dwarves are its astronauts drillonauts, of course

That's... different. I meant dwarves in literal outer space, though.
I've never seen dwarves depicted in science fiction, it's like they can't advance to the space age despite usually being the most technologically advanced race in a given setting. I'd love to see how DF dwarves handle the rigors of space. Or how they don't handle the rigors of space and die off one by one like a horror movie.
As for Dwarf Fortress gameplay in a space embark, I imagine it would be like a single player version of Space Station 13 were you control everyone. Considering how dwarves behave, that's probably truer than I think.

"Mayor is Vamp!"
"Dwarfputer is malf!"
"Halp Gaurd beating me 4noraisin!"
"One day, while Andy was mastur--" Urist Mclibrarian has been struck down.
"Gobbos have the lever, GET DAT FUKKEN LEVER!"
"The emergency wagon has been called. It will arrive in ten minutes. The emergency wagon has been recalled.The emergency wagon has been called. It will arrive in ten minutes. The emergency wagon has been recalled.The emergency wagon has been called. It will arrive in ten minutes. The emergency wagon has been recalled. The emergency wagon has docked with the fortress."
Pages: [1] 2 3