Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Time Battle Party - Adventure Time MOBA in a browser  (Read 7179 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

If you ever wanted to see a MOBA based on one of the more successful Cartoon Network licences in recent memory...Well, this it one such game.

ATBP takes all your favorite characters from Adventure Time such as Finn, Jake, the Ice King and Princess Gumball and puts them in a game not unlike DotA or League of Legends, with champions, minions, towers, lanes and all that good jazz in 3v3 battles.
And you can play it in your own browser. (although I would much prefer a downloadable client because we all know how shitty browser games can perform at times)

The game is available on the Cartoon Network website and is 100% free to play with no microtransactions... (fixed the link)
Well, okay, there are microtransactions in the form of skins and the so-called backpacks, which are presets of items you can spend your levels on within the game, but IIRC those are purchased with the ingame currency you can only get from playing and not paying. (you start with all your abilities, which you have 3 of, you only level up specifics items, so it's more similar to Awesomenauts in that regard than it is to other games in the genre)

I mean seriously, as similar this is to League of Legends (passives and brushes are on the LoL-wing of MOBAs rather than Dota) it still manages to do some things in a unique and admittedly rather simplified manner, but honestly, I like it that way. Plus how many other MOBAs out there are playable in a browser for God's sake?

I haven't played much of it yet, but damn, I might give it a few more shots agianst bots before stepping into online.
Too bad I see no healers or trueform supports...
* DarkDXZ makes a sad face

Either way, what do you think about it, folks? Is it a genuinely good MOBA or yet another licensed game, never to be seen again?
(Note here: I heard that it's in open beta, but we all know how overused this term is nowadays...)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:33:26 pm by DarkDXZ »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Adventure Time Battle Party - Adventure Time MOBA in a browser
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »

Frankly the fact that it's both a MOBA and in a browser is enough to sell me. Might have to give it a shot at some point.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:01:46 pm »

I've played a bit of this with a couple of my friends. It's pretty fun. Like every moba, it seems, beware the people who leave the game early after a couple of kills. My first few games of this were mostly stomps.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:20:09 am »

It's pretty fun, if very similar to other popular MOBAs. I stomped pretty hard until the game started throwing better players at me. Now it's getting a bit more balanced. I already have 5 backpacks without spending a cent (actually I don't even know if you can spend real money on it).

Experience with League of legends definitely helped me, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:22:07 am by Sirian »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 05:57:16 am »

I already have 5 backpacks without spending a cent (actually I don't even know if you can spend real money on it).
I don't think you can, and thank goodness for that.

Though I'm afraid that inevitably there's a certain stupidly overpowered backpack/hero/some hero combo that will never be patched out. I heard that Marcelline and Lich go together extremely well...

One thing that really annoys me, and it's less of a BP issue as much as it is the CN website gripe is the whole "screen name" system.
The fact they got names like "Zelda" and "Zeus" but not "Max" is beyond infuriating to me. :V

EDIT: I am blind. Or stupid. Or both.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:59:22 am by DarkDXZ »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 03:25:09 pm »

RIght, so here's the thing:

- Sir Rattleballs is, well, balls (double dash, AoE pull, spin-to-win, sustain passive)
- Meta-Science pack is best 'pack
- lots of disconnects on both sides

Also goddamn, looking at Adventure Time wikia, this could become really big. Or at least as far as characters and items go, CN guys have a lot to choose from, unless they suddenly ditch the game like the millions other games they did. (though this one is by far the best game I've seen as far as Cartoon Network games go, so who knows)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

I've been doing fairly decent with Lemongrab, decent being I'm usually about even on deaths and kills. While you absolutely CAN tryhard and you can stomp hard, it seems like it's perfectly capable to take it easy and do mediocre, which is fine by me.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 05:17:36 pm »

It's fairly casual, and I like it that way. We need more accessible MOBAs.
Then again, oversimplification pretty much killed the FPS genre so the devs should tread lightly, but either way, Battle Party is not a bad game, at least that's my current impression.

If you ever see Dramatic Xerxes Zebra, rest assured, it's me.