Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shield material  (Read 3041 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Shield material
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:11 am »

Shield blocking uses an 'opposed skill level' thingy, that is a dabbling shield user will block easily against a dabbling fire breathing dragon, but wont enjoy the same block rating against a legendary fire breathing dragon. In other words a high blocking rate for a unskilled shield user is due to the unskilled attacks of the enemy. But a high skilled enemy will easily 'bypass' the dabblers shield. Of course most enemies in the game ARE unskilled so shields are a pretty good deal even for unskilled dwarves - but they wont do a thing against elite goblin snipers.
A legendary what? I don't think breathing fire is related to any skills.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:50 am »

A legendary what? I don't think breathing fire is related to any skills.
Dragons have a natural boost to ranged combat skill. Supposed that helps them spray fire straight. Thing is, I've taken them on with dabbling shield user and had no problems with the fire. The rending claws and menacing jaws of doom were another matter entirely, but at least I left something behind for it to gnaw on. As far as I can tell about dragon fire, you're perfectly safe as long as you can keep a shield up.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:01 am »

Anybody think the new combat system will impact this? (assuming you can persuade dwarves to fight under the new morale system) ;-)
Pages: 1 [2]