Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children too old?  (Read 659 times)

Sephimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Children too old?
« on: July 03, 2014, 01:56:36 pm »

I just had a migration wave and following a random impulse, I looked at the age of a child that migrated to my fort. Turns out it was 15 years old. So I checked the ages of the other children of that wave which where 16, 15 and 14. All the other children in my fort are blow (and one at) the age of 12.

So, my question is: Is this a known bug or am I missing something?

Fake edit: I'm using plain PeridexisErrant LNP with no extra mods, or changes to the raws.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Children too old?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:06:50 pm »

Not a bug, just in the current version historical characters who are children don't "grow up" outside your fort. They will turn into adults on their next birthday.

Sephimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 02:12:07 pm »

Ah okay, that makes sense.

Will children over 12 ever grow up, or is every fort doomed to be swampt with ridiculously old children?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:15:26 pm »

Children born in your fort will always grow up at 12. It's just the migrants that are still flagged as children, and as I said these grow up on their next birthday, so it's not really a problem.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:18:24 pm »

I've never seen that before. All the children I've had have been of an appropriate age. I tend to roam the world in adventure mode before starting forts though, so that influence may have something to do with it.

The only time I've ever seen children over twelve is when they get afflicted by a curse that stops them from aging before becoming an adult. They could have somehow managed to escape a werebeast attack(apparently easier than it sounds) or profaned a temple(never heard of a child doing that but I don't see why not).
Interestingly, if you talk to such a child in adventure mode and ask about their profession, they'll say "I'm negative [years since becoming cursed]!"

It sounds awesome on paper, but it's really just an immortal, freeloading manchild who will exist only to leech off your resources(and/or workforce) and attract goblin snatchers. Unless you have a good use for them, I recommend putting such specimens out front so the goblins know they are 'up for adoption'.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:22:04 pm »

I've never seen that before. All the children I've had have been of an appropriate age. I tend to roam the world in adventure mode before starting forts though, so that influence may have something to do with it.
No, it happens.
It works like this: You gen a world. There is a dwarf that is 11 years old when world gen stops. You start a fort and play for a couple years. The dwarf child migrates to your fort, now 13 years old, but still flagged as a child by the game. Only on it's next birthday the child gets flagged as an adult.

Sephimaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:26:40 pm »

Well, after next week it won't matter anymore, I guess :D

Thanks, XXSockXX for the answers