Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF 2014 Creatures  (Read 6789 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2014 Creatures
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 07:21:25 pm »

Toady strongly hinted in one of my topics (not trying to hijack) that there would indeed be at least one new creature; Elephant men.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooe10000000000 many jokes.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 07:34:30 pm »

now that I thought about it, I wonder if toady made it so that creatures with no arms or legs cannot climb.

Many snakes climb trees and some can climb brick walls by inserting themselves into the grooves.
That's a pretty terrifying thought.
Snails and slugs can just crawl up walls with ease. Slowly.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

who knows what kind of randomized creature mysterious demon sites might hold?  Or maybe the demons themselves have changed slightly?
Other than that pretty sure there isn't anything except the hinted at elephantmen and giant elephants
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 07:52:47 pm »

More importantly, what new creatures can we make with all the shiny new tags? I know there's an ability to sense creatures by their blood, so that's a thing. That opens the ability to counter things that use that with things that have no blood. What other kind of crazy tag-induced behavior can we look forward to? Have skunks finally learned how to spray stink? Do porcupines give you a face full of spines when you get up in their grill? Does the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork do a raw blink on Hari-kiri Rock?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 09:25:58 pm »

also stuff can be particularly good/bad at climbing/jumping right?  (also you can make them smell bad.  woo!)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 09:35:32 pm »

Yeah, there are varied abilities in jumping, climbing, etc I believe. At least there should be.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 09:11:59 am »

Toady strongly hinted in one of my topics (not trying to hijack) that there would indeed be at least one new creature; Elephant men.
Not necessarily. Toady has mentioned his file fo half-complete animalmen before, but they still didn't get into the game then (that was when he added the missing rodent men, I think).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 07:35:34 pm »

And Giant Elephant (which would be what, sauropod sized?), you'd hear it's thundering footsteps long before you see it.
I could be wrong, but I've heard that elephants that aren't blowing their trunks or stampeding en masse actually sound rather like ninjas. The reason? Those giant feet, on top of distributing the weight pretty well by size alone, are actually squishy. Or, you know, so I've heard. I've never felt any particularly great need to keep a citation handy about it.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 09:02:21 pm »

I could be wrong, but I've heard that elephants that aren't blowing their trunks or stampeding en masse actually sound rather like ninjas. The reason? Those giant feet, on top of distributing the weight pretty well by size alone, are actually squishy. Or, you know, so I've heard. I've never felt any particularly great need to keep a citation handy about it.
Yeah, skeletal the elephant foot is on it's tip toes, with a MASSIVE fat cushion from the base of the toes all the way to it's heels, and yes the tend to be extremely quite. 

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 09:34:29 pm »

Yeah, skeletal the elephant foot is on it's tip toes, with a MASSIVE fat cushion from the base of the toes all the way to it's heels, and yes the tend to be extremely quite.
Something like this?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »

And Giant Elephant (which would be what, sauropod sized?), you'd hear it's thundering footsteps long before you see it.

I'm talking about GIANT elephants though and I'm not sure what the scaling is for giant versions of creatures, but a Giant Elephant would weigh several tons, as much as a small or medium sized sauropod.

Sauropods probably had similar cushions under their feet, but no idea how thunderous the smaller or medium sized sauropods footsteps were.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 04:47:05 am »

African Elephants can already weigh several tonnes.

GIANT Elephants? They'd be... I don't even know. If they scale even remotely like other giant critters do, you could construct buildings on their backs.
This space for rent

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 04:58:53 am »

Giant sperm whales are really large, I would expect giant elephants to be smaller than those. Anyway killing a giant elephant still only counts as one.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 05:05:21 am »

Raw-wise, elephants have a size (volume) of 5 million (which translates to about 5000 kilograms or 5 tons for standard creatures). Giant creature size varies, but for large creatures, it's a *8 multiplier. A standard sperm whale is is 25 million. A giant elephant would be 1.6 times as volumous as a sperm whale (and yes, much smaller than a giant sperm whale), and about as heavy as a brachiosaurus.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:26 am »

Raw-wise, elephants have a size (volume) of 5 million (which translates to about 5000 kilograms or 5 tons for standard creatures). Giant creature size varies, but for large creatures, it's a *8 multiplier. A standard sperm whale is is 25 million. A giant elephant would be 1.6 times as volumous as a sperm whale (and yes, much smaller than a giant sperm whale), and about as heavy as a brachiosaurus.

How much splatter do you think that would make if we dropped it 100 z levels? Perhaps we could mod giant elephants to have syndrome blood and make Giant Elephant Blood Nukes?
This space for rent
Pages: 1 [2] 3