Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51741 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:23 am »

The month had not been a happy one. He had seen a child killed and his relative kidnapped and if that wasn't worrying enough, the Scorpion's spawn had gone and polluted his machine's database. He had spent his remaining time cleaning out the construct's mind and then ensuring that all data he added had not been tampered with...

Ketemos didn't have the patience to go through the whole process of fixing the machine nor the energies to create a new design. Instead, he tried to conduct a compromise. He couldn't possibly scan in everything into the machine...not with his numerous setbacks. Nor could he animate the construct with his own energies in the time he had. Instead, he would give the golem the ability to learn; he would have to remove a large portion of the golem's database, leaving it only with necessary information about mathematics and grammar forms, but the machine would be able to absorb new information...which would be tedious considering how much was currently located in Ketemos' room as well as the Hiden Hall, but would work for now.

Of course, the Luminary would still have to be brought to life. While the greater gods such as Rexxis or Clammor could produce life, godlings such as Ketemos lacked the power or experience to easily do so. Only by dumb luck or by working in tandem could life be produced by such beings. Of course, there were always other ways. Mortals had long practised the art of animation via several different methods. Necromancers had long been part of the Bellian underworld and indeed, he had seen the art worked several times. Such an art wouldn't be very helpful with stone, however.

What could help however was a smith. A gargoyle smith. Finding a gargoyle on the Isle would be difficult...very much so considering considering gargolyes preferred to dwell to their fortresses. Regardless, Ketemos would try to do. He crossed Kiatown off immediately and made journey to Selma's Gate, looking for any gargoyle he could find.

---
Ketemos quickly moved toward the Throne Room, worrying about the girl's fate. He came in just as Ketari asked who would be their...war leader, the scholar imagined the role would be.

Tulwor? An obvious choice but impassioned by grief. Ketari was mad plain and simple. Auratus was not to be trusted. Pyrite and himself were scholars, not warriors. All this said, they would still have to choose.

"We fight a winged foe. It is very clear who should lead...Ketari has my vote," Ketemos said with slight regret.

1 Miracle: Give the Luminary the ability to learn.
1 Interaction: Search Selma's Gate for gargoyles. If somehow a gargoyle smith is found, immediately try to speak to him. If neither of these options are possible, find Ux.

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2014, 05:52:24 am »

'The Orcs?' Tulwor said, frowning as if tasting the word and finding it rotten. 'Orcs? Have they no honor? Cowards and thieves, attacking those who cannot defend themselves, refusing challenge! What foul beast has spawned gods such as these? This is no god of strength, sister of mine. A god of cowards and weakness! And a dragon besides! I will crush its bones with my teeth!'

He hefted the hammer again, as if a chance to use it had just opened. Tulwor's eyes peered at the two others with him. He'd barely heard Ketari's sting about the spear, or perhaps suppressed whatever thoughts it may have brought up. This was a foe he could face. To speak with Sarah... he was fearless, but he had failed, and in the past would've raced off to find something else to occupy his mind. He would turn his mind to it at some point, but Chell was more important now. If they had harmed her...

His eyes narrowed. 'Where is Auratus? Where is Corusu? That monster's storms were to stop attacks such as these! Perhaps the creature has allied with its own kind against us. And the golden lizard... we cannot trust them!'

He listened to the scholar-god and Ketari speak of the Throne. Roc's teeth, he had no wish to spend time debating! 'Yes, put my sister on it, or Pyrite, or you, scholar - I care not! We must act quickly, and burn these miserable wretches! I- I have weapons for the mortals. We may crush the Orcish defenses and then find this dragon... wherever it hides. It cannot escape me.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2014, 06:37:48 am »

Ketemos scoffed. As anxious as he was to rescue Chell caution should never be thrown to the wind.

"Break the orcish defenses? We simply don't have the essence or forces to do that; gods we are, we still cannot fight an army and a pantheo-"

Ketemos realised that in all likelihood, this dragon had been acting alone and as an orcish diety, could not expect much help from his comrades.

"Maybe not a pantheon, but a dragon-god is still not going to fall easily...A calculated strike would be more suitable considering our resources...we should track down this dragon, ensure he is humbled and then leave as quickly as possible. Skullcrest should be contacted."

Glancing towards the entry points to the Throneroom, Ketemos spoke in a hushed tone. "The majority of us are here; if we were to vote now, we can act immediately. Pyrite will understand and Auratus, traitor or not, can be convinced of the urgency of our meeting."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:57 am »

Ketari laughed again. "That I have, and is why I'm so keen to see this pirate bird-worshipper fail. The Barkers are my beloved pets, born of forest wood and vines. It was them out on a hunt that brought me the final egg that is at the root cause of this matter... the Barkers grow in a forest on one of the Domain Islands, and I'd prefer not to see it burned. It was difficult magic, and I'm not sure I could do it again. The life was already there to grow, but the minds I made myself. A experiment with a joyful result. I think the latest flowerings have been bountiful. You may have some to study if you like - as you have so kindly offered me use of your devices, yes?"

In Patches lairKetari twitched, as if hearing a distant voice.
"Hmm... it seems veangance against the bird-worshipper can wait. Though for conspiring against me... there will be consequences, yes?"

Patches offer a big grin. "I would love to meet your pets, friend. I'm not the best at working with plant matter, but it is not completely beyond me."

She lets out a cautious chuckle, and gives her head a scratch. "Just be cautious, friend. A Basilisk has no wings, and if they are conspiring against you, they are likely prepared for a direct confrontation... Or at least they think they are. We just met, and already I'd hate to see you hurt."

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2014, 01:15:30 pm »

"So," he takes a deep breath in anticipation, "are any of those services worth anything to you, Dragon?"

Auratus was much bemused, his mood increasing by the moment. Just minutes ago, the mortal had thought him a sellsword, intent on taking his life – but now, his eyes were slowly becoming overshadowed by greed. The dragon knew the feeling good enough, and was intent on sinking his claws into the mortals' desires. He would only need the right arguments and incentives to make him forget about the qualms he still held.

After thinking the matter over in detail – not daring to be so foolish as to answer too hastily – he countered Giaus question with a smile. " It is a start. Once you and your house are more... trusting of my nature, we can always reconcile on those points that I still might find lacking currently. Well, it will be a matter for then. As it seems like a truly sore spot for you and your kin, I do have to remark that only The Searoc is flying my flag, whereas Scion is just bearing my mark. Incidentally, the good gargoyle told me that the Dread Pirates don't like him either – for reasons surely well known to you – but I will have you know, just as I had him know, that they would have to face my wrath if they were to attack him unprovoked. Truthfully, I won't forsake Scion in any way which would be considered unhonourable, but if your grudge is that strong, I could be tempted to consider cutting ties with him. Obviously I would expect a fitting recompensation for doing so, but just let me say that it could be done. Well, as he might just fail me in his mission, it might be prudent for you if you were to wait it out. "

Giving the man enough time to voice thoughts or complaints, Auratus prepared the main dish of the discussion. He had also planned for a dessert, but did not plan on mentioning it just yet. " Getting back to the topic at hand, for now I would be pleased if you were to give me information on the different pirate lords, what is known of their motives and similar. I also plan to strengthen those that would sail my flag with boats, and know that you would be able to provide them as well – in comparison to Selma's Gate, I very much doubt that the single fleet docked here is able to provide enough orders to keep your dockyard running smoothly. As a sign of my forthcoming nature, I might even provide the payment in advance. Well, this obviously bears the question; Which kind of boon would you imagine for these services? "

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 12, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »

Ketari laughed again. "That I have, and is why I'm so keen to see this pirate bird-worshipper fail. The Barkers are my beloved pets, born of forest wood and vines. It was them out on a hunt that brought me the final egg that is at the root cause of this matter... the Barkers grow in a forest on one of the Domain Islands, and I'd prefer not to see it burned. It was difficult magic, and I'm not sure I could do it again. The life was already there to grow, but the minds I made myself. A experiment with a joyful result. I think the latest flowerings have been bountiful. You may have some to study if you like - as you have so kindly offered me use of your devices, yes?"

In Patches lairKetari twitched, as if hearing a distant voice.
"Hmm... it seems veangance against the bird-worshipper can wait. Though for conspiring against me... there will be consequences, yes?"

Patches offer a big grin. "I would love to meet your pets, friend. I'm not the best at working with plant matter, but it is not completely beyond me."

She lets out a cautious chuckle, and gives her head a scratch. "Just be cautious, friend. A Basilisk has no wings, and if they are conspiring against you, they are likely prepared for a direct confrontation... Or at least they think they are. We just met, and already I'd hate to see you hurt."

"Plants are easy to shape and form. They have no will to resist. Plants exist to grow, so you just have to hint them in the correct directions and give the energy, and they almost form themselves. As I said, it was most difficult to make their minds. I've never made a mind from scratch. It was interesting, yes? I suppose your chimeras have the mind there, in part, from the parts they are built with. The flesh remembers, even in death, no?
"

She remembered something some scholar had shown her once, a kindly old man who entertained the ragged, savage child and taught her things beyond ceaseless hunger - about the far world. He'd stuck copper wires in frog's legs, and the limbs had twitched and jerked without body or reason. She'd gasped in wonder, and her watchful parent had raised an eye at the interest on her ravenous offspring's face.

Ketari nodded slyly. "I know a secret that may even the odds a bit. With the right words and tone, she may cut that basilisk's throat herself." She grinned savagely before she changed the topic.
"What else is down here? This is a large place for so few to notice, yes... I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes, so to speak."

----

"Then we are agreed. I'll explain to the others absent. No doubt the bird-lizard will be enraged anyway, though Pyrite should understand. The bird-lizard is no traitor, though, but he has been bound in an rather interesting debt to house Skullcrest."

She stepped up to the Jade Throne, her excitement mounting, though only a small grin leaked out onto her features - her self control straining.

"And so I ascend."

She sat.

I have the votes of myself, Tulwor and Ketemos: Ascend the Jade Throne as Lord (Lady?) of the Young Gods!

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2014, 04:57:04 pm »

The month had not been a happy one. He had seen a child killed and his relative kidnapped and if that wasn't worrying enough, the Scorpion's spawn had gone and polluted his machine's database. He had spent his remaining time cleaning out the construct's mind and then ensuring that all data he added had not been tampered with...

Ketemos didn't have the patience to go through the whole process of fixing the machine nor the energies to create a new design. Instead, he tried to conduct a compromise. He couldn't possibly scan in everything into the machine...not with his numerous setbacks. Nor could he animate the construct with his own energies in the time he had. Instead, he would give the golem the ability to learn; he would have to remove a large portion of the golem's database, leaving it only with necessary information about mathematics and grammar forms, but the machine would be able to absorb new information...which would be tedious considering how much was currently located in Ketemos' room as well as the Hiden Hall, but would work for now.

Of course, the Luminary would still have to be brought to life. While the greater gods such as Rexxis or Clammor could produce life, godlings such as Ketemos lacked the power or experience to easily do so. Only by dumb luck or by working in tandem could life be produced by such beings. Of course, there were always other ways. Mortals had long practised the art of animation via several different methods. Necromancers had long been part of the Bellian underworld and indeed, he had seen the art worked several times. Such an art wouldn't be very helpful with stone, however.

What could help however was a smith. A gargoyle smith. Finding a gargoyle on the Isle would be difficult...very much so considering considering gargolyes preferred to dwell to their fortresses. Regardless, Ketemos would try to do. He crossed Kiatown off immediately and made journey to Selma's Gate, looking for any gargoyle he could find.

---
Ketemos quickly moved toward the Throne Room, worrying about the girl's fate. He came in just as Ketari asked who would be their...war leader, the scholar imagined the role would be.

Tulwor? An obvious choice but impassioned by grief. Ketari was mad plain and simple. Auratus was not to be trusted. Pyrite and himself were scholars, not warriors. All this said, they would still have to choose.

"We fight a winged foe. It is very clear who should lead...Ketari has my vote," Ketemos said with slight regret.

1 Miracle: Give the Luminary the ability to learn.
1 Interaction: Search Selma's Gate for gargoyles. If somehow a gargoyle smith is found, immediately try to speak to him. If neither of these options are possible, find Ux.

You set about rewiring the Luminary, so that instead of learning from scanned literature, it may instead learn from its environment and those around it. After a few hours of this, you are able to teach the golem the common barbarian alphabet as proof of concept.

+New Resource: Mass of Learn Parts (+7)

Traveling to Selma's gate without Chell is no easy task, but after a few hours of wasted time, and a few near misses with various objects concealed by the stormy waters, you are able to navigate her boat to the Pirate Settlement.

On the docks, you ask around for Gargoyles. You are mildly surprised when you learn that there are indeed three in the area, but they are all slaves, and nobody can tell you anything of their skill as smiths. One of them works for the family of the presently absent pirate lord Bar-Saad as a house servant. Another  is kept occupied at one of the town's shipyards, and a third is owned by a local fisherman.

You also get directions to Ux's home and workplace, should you decide to visit him instead.

"Plants are easy to shape and form. They have no will to resist. Plants exist to grow, so you just have to hint them in the correct directions and give the energy, and they almost form themselves. As I said, it was most difficult to make their minds. I've never made a mind from scratch. It was interesting, yes? I suppose your chimeras have the mind there, in part, from the parts they are built with. The flesh remembers, even in death, no?
"

She remembered something some scholar had shown her once, a kindly old man who entertained the ragged, savage child and taught her things beyond ceaseless hunger - about the far world. He'd stuck copper wires in frog's legs, and the limbs had twitched and jerked without body or reason. She'd gasped in wonder, and her watchful parent had raised an eye at the interest on her ravenous offspring's face.

Ketari nodded slyly. "I know a secret that may even the odds a bit. With the right words and tone, she may cut that basilisk's throat herself." She grinned savagely before she changed the topic.
"What else is down here? This is a large place for so few to notice, yes... I wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes, so to speak."

"Indeed, we usually have reclaimed minds from the parts used to build us, or common Chimera do anyway," Patches muses, "which is why common Chimera tend to be dumb. It is why, in part, we seek alliance with the Bellians; Your people have good minds and spirits, and such things are often damaged if claimed and assimilated by force."

"Aside from the workfloor, I have my personal chambers, sleeping space for the creations, cages for uncontrollable creations or live part donnors, and an underwater living area and exit for my creations that don't have lungs for air." The Goddess gives the smile of a prideful host before continuing, "It is not as nice or big as your place, but I'd be happy to give you a tour nonetheless."

She stepped up to the Jade Throne, her excitement mounting, though only a small grin leaked out onto her features - her self control straining.

"And so I ascend."

She sat.

I have the votes of myself, Tulwor and Ketemos: Ascend the Jade Throne as Lord (Lady?) of the Young Gods!

The throne's power flows through the bird eater, giving her access to the banked miracles, and supporting her ability to weave divine energy so that she might apply more than double the usual amount to a single act.

Since no time limit has been attached to Ketari's term as temporary lord, the throne informs her that she may control it for the default three months, or until she is voted out by her peers.

For the Next Three Months, Ketari may forfeit her normal actions for the turn to use as many miracles she desires from the bank. While doing so, she may spend as many miracles as she wants to boost the success of a single action. Miracles banked by Ketari are spent first, then miracles banked by Tulwor and Ketemos, then neutral miracles, then miracles banked by Auratus and Pyrite.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2014, 05:17:28 pm »

Pyrite couldn't help but laugh uproariously at the boy's reported behavior. "I like him already!" he said, grinning, "And I'll bet the commander regretted drafting the wrong one!"

He continued after his chuckling had subsided. "Yes, I think I would like to meet with him now, if that's alright. As for Nightcharm, I believe I've met him, and I do believe I'll need his help for setting those up. What I don't know is when I'll be working on them, though, so I wouldn't bother him just yet unless he'd want time to prepare."

Ryder smiles at the god's laughter. "Very well then, I'll send for him!"

He nods to one of his attendants, who dashes off. The servant returns after twenty minutes of idle discussion, with a small boy in tow. You can tell right away that Henry carries himself with the importance of a fully grown Bellian Noble. He also carries a good sized box under his arm, which the servant who brought him seems appalled at.

"Pyrite I presume?" He asks. The child then pulls up a chair, and offers you a curt nod before opening the box. Inside is a rather large rodent of a species you are unfamiliar with. The legs of the beast have all been cut off and bandaged at the amputation site, and its mouth is muzzled.

"Don't mind me. Carry on with whatever it is you were talking about. I'm just going to give Mr. Nibbles here an organ examination." He says nonchalantly while producing a knife from his pocket. Ryder falls silent, and a look of abject horror spreads across his face.

"Then we'll wait," he responded. "I have plans for these Orcs, and would rather not part with any more than necessary. I wouldn't think I'd need to offer too many to make this exercise count as something other than tribute, either."

He then took a bit to consider the basilisk affair, periodically clicking his teeth together. It would have made a good excuse to consider the information he'd just overheard, had he not genuinely needed time to think about the matter at hand. He let the former rest at noting the calamity of his near-miss seemed to involve either an insult that likely would have spiraled out of control, or the impressively callous sacrifice of an unwitting pawn to cripple his pantheon's defenses.

Finally he tilted his head in realization. "Hm... what about a wager, then? It's occurred to me that if both of the children you lend me decide they'd prefer me as a deity and master, I'd have little reason not to improve them both. You'd be left out in the cold... but if you're two for two in your children following me, that'd make a good case for you doing the same. I can't swear how many I'd have time to improve, but surely after three of four you'd end up with a suitable heir interested in sailing with you, my disciple or not.

Conversely, if neither of them take to my methods or gifts, I could try for more without being accused of accepting tribute... or I suppose I could settle for being owed favors by some truly terrifying entities. Either way, I'd still get some benefits out of examining them, and any other combination of results should give us each at least one of what we want."

Meltip laughs, and looks you straight in your strange eyes. "I love a good wager as much as the next pirate lord, but I don't think I want to wait until my kids decide what they want to pick a Bellian god for myself. I get the feeling that it might be for the best if somebody on or around this island could serve as a go-between for the Harpy and Bellian pantheons... I was asking you to sell me on your worship, but I understand if you are above groveling for followers. Either way, in all honesty, the deal is still good for me. I could take an apprentice as an heir, and be happy with whatever my children succeed at."

After some time, the Harpy returns, and tells Melltip in harpy speech that the messenger has been sent away, and that the fleet could handle around sixty Orcs. She considers this information before speaking to you once more: "I think I would like a hundred and twenty of the Orcs."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:35:54 pm by Weirdsound »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »

Considering his options, Ketemos decided to head to the shipyards for the gargoyle staying there. It was unlikely that any of the three were smiths but it was worth a try, especially since he had come all the way out here.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2014, 06:40:42 pm »

Ryder smiles at the god's laughter. "Very well then, I'll send for him!"

He nods to one of his attendants, who dashes off. The servant returns after twenty minutes of idle discussion, with a small boy in tow. You can tell right away that Henry carries himself with the importance of a fully grown Bellian Noble. He also carries a good sized box under his arm, which the servant who brought him seems appalled at.

"Pyrite I presume?" He asks. The child then pulls up a chair, and offers you a curt nod before opening the box. Inside is a rather large rodent of a species you are unfamiliar with. The legs of the beast have all been cut off and bandaged at the amputation site, and its mouth is muzzled.

"Don't mind me. Carry on with whatever it is you were talking about. I'm just going to give Mr. Nibbles here an organ examination." He says nonchalantly while producing a knife from his pocket. Ryder falls silent, and a look of abject horror spreads across his face.
"Well that's cruel," he stated matter-of-factly, leaning over to get a better look. "Why'd you chop his legs off?"

Meltip laughs, and looks you straight in your strange eyes. "I love a good wager as much as the next pirate lord, but I don't think I want to wait until my kids decide what they want to pick a Bellian god for myself. I get the feeling that it might be for the best if somebody on or around this island could serve as a go-between for the Harpy and Bellian pantheons... I was asking you to sell me on your worship, but I understand if you are above groveling for followers. Either way, in all honesty, the deal is still good for me. I could take an apprentice as an heir, and be happy with whatever my children succeed at."

After some time, the Harpy returns, and tells Melltip in harpy speech that the messenger has been sent away, and that the fleet could handle around sixty Orcs. She considers this information before speaking to you once more: "I think I would like a hundred and twenty of the Orcs."
"Excellent! And interesting idea, serving as a liaison between us. Might be a bit easier if I was allowed to know anything about them, though," he finished, laughing.

"Ah... and as for groveling, it's not so much that I'm too proud, as that it's a rather personal decision, and that the dragon does have an edge in aiming to lord over pirates in general. I could argue I'm a better fit, but I'm unsure if I could honestly claim to be a better deal. Prior to this, of course."

He waited patiently for the messenger, but his expression soured on hearing Meltip's response. "A hundred and twenty?" he groused, "Are you running a pirate fleet or building an army?" He shifted in place, twisting his mouth slightly. "Unless you want all the Orcs you kill taken out of your cut, I would think closer to thirty would be fairer."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2014, 08:55:19 pm »

Auratus was much bemused, his mood increasing by the moment. Just minutes ago, the mortal had thought him a sellsword, intent on taking his life – but now, his eyes were slowly becoming overshadowed by greed. The dragon knew the feeling good enough, and was intent on sinking his claws into the mortals' desires. He would only need the right arguments and incentives to make him forget about the qualms he still held.

After thinking the matter over in detail – not daring to be so foolish as to answer too hastily – he countered Giaus question with a smile. " It is a start. Once you and your house are more... trusting of my nature, we can always reconcile on those points that I still might find lacking currently. Well, it will be a matter for then. As it seems like a truly sore spot for you and your kin, I do have to remark that only The Searoc is flying my flag, whereas Scion is just bearing my mark. Incidentally, the good gargoyle told me that the Dread Pirates don't like him either – for reasons surely well known to you – but I will have you know, just as I had him know, that they would have to face my wrath if they were to attack him unprovoked. Truthfully, I won't forsake Scion in any way which would be considered unhonourable, but if your grudge is that strong, I could be tempted to consider cutting ties with him. Obviously I would expect a fitting recompensation for doing so, but just let me say that it could be done. Well, as he might just fail me in his mission, it might be prudent for you if you were to wait it out. "

Giving the man enough time to voice thoughts or complaints, Auratus prepared the main dish of the discussion. He had also planned for a dessert, but did not plan on mentioning it just yet. " Getting back to the topic at hand, for now I would be pleased if you were to give me information on the different pirate lords, what is known of their motives and similar. I also plan to strengthen those that would sail my flag with boats, and know that you would be able to provide them as well – in comparison to Selma's Gate, I very much doubt that the single fleet docked here is able to provide enough orders to keep your dockyard running smoothly. As a sign of my forthcoming nature, I might even provide the payment in advance. Well, this obviously bears the question; Which kind of boon would you imagine for these services? "

Giaus nods in deep thought, prhasing his next statement carefully. "The scope of the riptide opperation is big enough... that the opinion of myself or my kin on this island matters little should you have any grand schemes of controlling the full fleet. We are a large family, and very spread out. If we were to develop an open and solid working relationship, my distant kin may be apt to assume that the dragon is manipulative and corrupting, as opposed to actually trustworth."

He frowns when asked about the pirate lords. "Of the three present at Selma's gate, Pennywise is the only one I'd personally consider working with. She can usually be motivated by wealth, plain and simple, and she is good at investing her gains as well. There are rumors about that she is seeking to sell her fleet, and find a more stable position so that she may start a family, but I can't speak for their accuracy. It would make sense though - she is a piss poor admiral; I can't recall a single occasion on which she was able to defeat another fleet unaided. On the plus side, she is good friends with that Gargoyle of yours.

Wild Red is in it for the thrill of the game as much as anything else. He tried to take Kiatown just to see if he could, and the answer was very nearly 'yes'. He is the sort who might disobey orders or veer off a planned course of action, simply because a more interesting opportunity has presented itself. He dislikes Bellians in general, but isn't above working with us if the price or opportunity is right.

Meltip the Indecent is usually reasonable by pirate standards - abliet a bit more brazen and power hungry. She is also one of the most effective war machines I have ever seen on the sea - She keeps harpies around as scouts and air support, and has been more or less a force of nature in battle since, and thats not even getting into her Basilisk... Which brings me to the downside, and its a biggie; She is bound to that creature somehow, and sometimes its murderous nature overtakes her. She often chooses a high body count over efficiency in her dealings, and has been known to start fights for little reason other than to kill."

The old man takes another deep breath, "but I'm sure you were thinking of a more recurring and consistent exchange of information. Therefore, for advanced payment, I would ask for something to aid me in communicating with you. I suspect you have better things to do than visit me every time a new pirate lord shows up, and I'm sure none of my captains will be thrilled upon hearing that my boats will be making a habit of challenging the storm... Perhaps you could use the communication channel to give me information on the comings and goings of the Pantheon that I may find useful. Beyond that, I'd like to defer any boons you feel I have earned to my sons; Giles lives on the family compound, and Jowl is a pirate lord himself. They both have their own plans and schemes, and if I tell them to consider you a friend, they will have ideas as to how you may aid them and how they may aid you."

"Well that's cruel," he stated matter-of-factly, leaning over to get a better look. "Why'd you chop his legs off?"

The boy mutters something under his breath, that thanks to your divine ability to understand speech sounds alot like "...says the god who eats people."

He struggles to hold the squirming rodent, while he gives an earnest answer. "All my sedatives have proven lethal to this particular species so far... Clearly this is also a less than ideal solution, but I really want to see what his heart and lungs look like in motion."

"Excellent! And interesting idea, serving as a liaison between us. Might be a bit easier if I was allowed to know anything about them, though," he finished, laughing.

"Ah... and as for groveling, it's not so much that I'm too proud, as that it's a rather personal decision, and that the dragon does have an edge in aiming to lord over pirates in general. I could argue I'm a better fit, but I'm unsure if I could honestly claim to be a better deal. Prior to this, of course."

He waited patiently for the messenger, but his expression soured on hearing Meltip's response. "A hundred and twenty?" he groused, "Are you running a pirate fleet or building an army?" He shifted in place, twisting his mouth slightly. "Unless you want all the Orcs you kill taken out of your cut, I would think closer to thirty would be fairer."

"Its not that you are not allowed to know, its that I'm not allowed to tell. I'm sure you could find out everything you want about the harpy Pantheon if you put your mind to it." Meltip offers a sly smirk.

She considers your counter offer, the smirk unfading from her lips. "I'll do ninety. My fleet is big. I'll find room for them all. The Orcish force we are up against is also not small; if things go right there should be plenty to spare."

Considering his options, Ketemos decided to head to the shipyards for the gargoyle staying there. It was unlikely that any of the three were smiths but it was worth a try, especially since he had come all the way out here.

The Gargoyle is found unpacking a shipment of wooden planks. He looks to be in much worse shape than his pirate lord cousin; The top half of his left wing is missing, and the detailing on his stone body is worn away. You also note that his right arm is not the original; it is made from a completely different sort of rock than the rest of him.

"What do you want sir?" He asks in a rude and hurried tone, clearly not recognizing you, "I'm busy."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:22 pm »

The boy mutters something under his breath, that thanks to your divine ability to understand speech sounds alot like "...says the god who eats people."

He struggles to hold the squirming rodent, while he gives an earnest answer. "All my sedatives have proven lethal to this particular species so far... Clearly this is also a less than ideal solution, but I really want to see what his heart and lungs look like in motion."
"A noble endeavor," Pyrite agreed, nodding sagely. "Have you tried binding its limbs with rope or wood? Seemed to work for the mouth.

Speaking of which, what have you learned about them?"

"Its not that you are not allowed to know, its that I'm not allowed to tell. I'm sure you could find out everything you want about the harpy Pantheon if you put your mind to it." Meltip offers a sly smirk.

She considers your counter offer, the smirk unfading from her lips. "I'll do ninety. My fleet is big. I'll find room for them all. The Orcish force we are up against is also not small; if things go right there should be plenty to spare."
"Mmf. Agreed." He wondered idly what she'd do with the extras; probably sell them as slaves, maybe replace some of her crew, certainly replenish any losses in battle. He didn't feel like being particularly stingy with his new follower and diplomat, though, and trying to bargain her down to the number she had likely planned on settling for felt like it'd require acting as though he did.

"So. Assuming all goes as planned, we should strike next month. More realistically, it may be delayed to the month after. Current plan is to load soldiers into ships, go around and set down behind the Orcs at night, then crush them in a pincer. My plan is furthermore to take as many of the Orcs alive as possible.

Other than that, I suppose I should see your children now, and if you have any specific requests for them beyond 'a suitable heir,' speak up."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2014, 12:03:14 am »

"A noble endeavor," Pyrite agreed, nodding sagely. "Have you tried binding its limbs with rope or wood? Seemed to work for the mouth.

Speaking of which, what have you learned about them?"

The boy offers you a smile somewhere between knowing and condescending. "That was the first thing I tried after the sedatives. I then turned my back on it to relieve myself, and when I returned, it had gnawed through its own legs to get free, hence the no limbs and bound mouth. If I can't keep this one still, I'll bind everything at once on the next one I get."

He continues to struggle with the rodent as he talks about what he has learned. "So far, I have learned that sedatives kill em, they produce a very mild venom that they chew into their prey, and their heart and lungs are strangely shaped and possibly made from a Horizon Material. Since the vast majority of idiot six year olds ruin it for the rest of us, I'm not allowed the acids and acelerants to perform a definitive test for Horizon Material, so the next best thing for me would be to watch the organs in action."

"Psh... kids and their stories. Horizon creatures do not mix with rats." Ryder chides, while still noticeably inching his chair away from the scene to the impending surgery.

"I'm telling you father, there is alot of Horizon Material in a lot of the local lifeforms, and I'll prove it as soon as I figure out the lock to your munitions storage. Perhaps I'll blow it up when I'm done... or at least blow up the rat." You can tell by the tone of the kid's voice, and the senseless violence of his suggestions, that the squirming of the rat in question is beginning to frustrate him.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention earlier, he is also prone to believing silly things in spite of his intelligence," Lord Ryder adds, "such as evidence of otherwise undetectable creatures from before even the dragons roamed the earth exists in the local animal life."

"Mmf. Agreed." He wondered idly what she'd do with the extras; probably sell them as slaves, maybe replace some of her crew, certainly replenish any losses in battle. He didn't feel like being particularly stingy with his new follower and diplomat, though, and trying to bargain her down to the number she had likely planned on settling for felt like it'd require acting as though he did.

"So. Assuming all goes as planned, we should strike next month. More realistically, it may be delayed to the month after. Current plan is to load soldiers into ships, go around and set down behind the Orcs at night, then crush them in a pincer. My plan is furthermore to take as many of the Orcs alive as possible.

Other than that, I suppose I should see your children now, and if you have any specific requests for them beyond 'a suitable heir,' speak up."

Meltip nods, "Assuming his hunger or bloodlust dosn't overwhelm my reason just before battle, I'll keep my husband on the ship then. If things go poorly, start lighting signal flairs, and we will have him swim to shore and attack the center of the Orcish Host. It would raise the death toll, but would also turn the tide."

The pirate smiles at your request, "Sure, we can go see them."

She rises to her feet, and with a simple hand gesture bids her husband to follow. As the Basilisk uncoils to move, you can tell that it is at least 50 feet long.

You are lead down to the brig, which on Meltip's flagship has been gutted for space to house a massive terrarium of tinted glass. Through it you can make out two child-sized figures at rest, and a third wandering aimlessly. You also note the ground is littered with bones.

The moving figure seems to be a smaller man of both Bellian and Barbarian blood. He looks dazed and confused. The two creatures on the ground seem to be mostly snake, but with a Bellian head and torso on the underside of their upper bodies. They seem to have arms that are bound to their bodies by webbing, likely limiting range of motion but granting enhanced swimming or even gliding.

"They just ate yesterday, and hence are a bit lethargic at the moment," Meltip explains, "I just sent somebody down to clean their scat while they are resting, but I think the bones and uneaten meal make for good effect. Don't you?"

The basilisk presses its face longingly against the glass. "Oh, cut it out dear," Meltip scolds, "we were just in there this morning, they don't want to play now."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2014, 03:41:17 am »

The boy offers you a smile somewhere between knowing and condescending. "That was the first thing I tried after the sedatives. I then turned my back on it to relieve myself, and when I returned, it had gnawed through its own legs to get free, hence the no limbs and bound mouth. If I can't keep this one still, I'll bind everything at once on the next one I get."

He continues to struggle with the rodent as he talks about what he has learned. "So far, I have learned that sedatives kill em, they produce a very mild venom that they chew into their prey, and their heart and lungs are strangely shaped and possibly made from a Horizon Material. Since the vast majority of idiot six year olds ruin it for the rest of us, I'm not allowed the acids and acelerants to perform a definitive test for Horizon Material, so the next best thing for me would be to watch the organs in action."

"Psh... kids and their stories. Horizon creatures do not mix with rats." Ryder chides, while still noticeably inching his chair away from the scene to the impending surgery.

"I'm telling you father, there is alot of Horizon Material in a lot of the local lifeforms, and I'll prove it as soon as I figure out the lock to your munitions storage. Perhaps I'll blow it up when I'm done... or at least blow up the rat." You can tell by the tone of the kid's voice, and the senseless violence of his suggestions, that the squirming of the rat in question is beginning to frustrate him.

"Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention earlier, he is also prone to believing silly things in spite of his intelligence," Lord Ryder adds, "such as evidence of otherwise undetectable creatures from before even the dragons roamed the earth exists in the local animal life."
"Is he now?" Pyrite wondered aloud, reaching over to gently pluck up the limbless rodent. He ran his hands over it, attempting to use his godly senses to examine its heart and lungs. If he found anything, he explained it to those present.

Regardless of the results of that, he then pinned it for the lad to cut into, preferably against the box where any bloodstains wouldn't be a problem. No matter the outcome of his own attempts, no doubt the boy would want to see things for himself.

Meltip nods, "Assuming his hunger or bloodlust dosn't overwhelm my reason just before battle, I'll keep my husband on the ship then. If things go poorly, start lighting signal flairs, and we will have him swim to shore and attack the center of the Orcish Host. It would raise the death toll, but would also turn the tide."

The pirate smiles at your request, "Sure, we can go see them."

She rises to her feet, and with a simple hand gesture bids her husband to follow. As the Basilisk uncoils to move, you can tell that it is at least 50 feet long.

You are lead down to the brig, which on Meltip's flagship has been gutted for space to house a massive terrarium of tinted glass. Through it you can make out two child-sized figures at rest, and a third wandering aimlessly. You also note the ground is littered with bones.

The moving figure seems to be a smaller man of both Bellian and Barbarian blood. He looks dazed and confused. The two creatures on the ground seem to be mostly snake, but with a Bellian head and torso on the underside of their upper bodies. They seem to have arms that are bound to their bodies by webbing, likely limiting range of motion but granting enhanced swimming or even gliding.

"They just ate yesterday, and hence are a bit lethargic at the moment," Meltip explains, "I just sent somebody down to clean their scat while they are resting, but I think the bones and uneaten meal make for good effect. Don't you?"

The basilisk presses its face longingly against the glass. "Oh, cut it out dear," Meltip scolds, "we were just in there this morning, they don't want to play now."
"I do," he said, admiring the scenery. He turned soon enough to the inhabitants.

"Mm... might not need any physical alterations at all. Limited arm movement is unfortunate, but improved swimming might make up for it. Depending on their exact vertebrae configuration, I might need to adjust the base of their spines to allow them to stand upright more naturally.

Otherwise it seems like it's just their minds and whatever additional frills I choose to add in pursuit of their gifts. Do you have anything to add to that?

More immediately, what can you tell me about caring for, containing, and transporting them?"

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: August 13, 2014, 04:19:53 pm »

Giaus nods in deep thought, prhasing his next statement carefully. "The scope of the riptide opperation is big enough... that the opinion of myself or my kin on this island matters little should you have any grand schemes of controlling the full fleet. We are a large family, and very spread out. If we were to develop an open and solid working relationship, my distant kin may be apt to assume that the dragon is manipulative and corrupting, as opposed to actually trustworth."

Sinking into thought for a moment, the dragon tapped lightly on his armrest, until he addressed the mortal. " So I take it that you are loath to build any ships in my name, lest the rest of your family alienates you? Well, that would mainly mean that as time passes, you are bound to miss out on a good deal of orders – not that I would like the alternative of your house loosing position within said family either. " He shrugged. " I will have the docks in Selma's Gate expanded then. If the visiting fleets – even if it would only be at times – are unable to have their own ships mended, it would make for a far less inviting port after all. "

The old man takes another deep breath, "but I'm sure you were thinking of a more recurring and consistent exchange of information. Therefore, for advanced payment, I would ask for something to aid me in communicating with you. I suspect you have better things to do than visit me every time a new pirate lord shows up, and I'm sure none of my captains will be thrilled upon hearing that my boats will be making a habit of challenging the storm... Perhaps you could use the communication channel to give me information on the comings and goings of the Pantheon that I may find useful. Beyond that, I'd like to defer any boons you feel I have earned to my sons; Giles lives on the family compound, and Jowl is a pirate lord himself. They both have their own plans and schemes, and if I tell them to consider you a friend, they will have ideas as to how you may aid them and how they may aid you."

Auratus had to concede, having an easy way of communication would prove invaluable – he could give such devices out to those dedicated to his cause, and was actually somewhat wary already, knowing that he was not likely to receive any news from Selma's Gate for this whole month. At least he hoped it to be so, for any news able to reach the castle, was more likely to be bad news than not. Nodding at the suggestion, he continued. " I would have something in mind for that matter. Just make sure that I won't be interrupted while doing so, and I will evoke it right here. " A wry grin spreading across his face, he added. " Obviously you are allowed to watch. I am not sure if it will be able to entertain you, but it should prove to be interesting enough. "

Having grown up in his mothers lair, he knew of some baubles that could transmit written information over vast distances, while some of them had far more impressive means of communication, and could henceforth be considered true artefacts. Most impressive was the one Tonneth often enough used to contact Rexxis – no wonder as she was about as likely to leave her lair, as the god was likely to lower himself to visit his rival in her domain. Maybe not as uncommon as one might be lead to presume, but still. Either way, the design he had in mind was a bit more elaborate than a simple crystal ball.

He planned to create a set of seven mirrors. Their frame would be out of silver, depicting the claw of a dragon, holding in its fingers the centre piece – an eight-cornered, oblong citrine, the corners and borders cut in emerald style. Obviously, one of them was to be his, and thus special. Instead of mere silver, the scaled claw was to be out of gold, and instead of the yellow gem, a smaragd matching the colour of his eyes was his choice for the jewel. According to his design, if one were to gaze at the mirror intently, one would be able to view a simple mindscape. As he really had not the patience for parroting what ever information each bearer of the lesser mirrors had, to others which it would concern, this would avoid him having to do so. His own mirror would – in addition to the aforementioned function – allow him to subtly influence said mindscape. In addition to expelling attendants against their own will, he would want to be able to cloud voice and form of those which were to enter, lest two which had no business of knowing each other in his service, would find out in this way. Or even worse, one of the mirrors lost or taken, be able to reveal just with who all he had more or less open dealings with.

After the head of House Riptide had taken appropriate measures, he would try himself at this creation - spending his Miracle.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39