Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51721 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2014, 06:15:55 pm »

Ketari hummed in thought, as she was wont to do. The sound was musical. "More prophecies... this Isle seems overgrown with ominous words. Of the eggs, I know there are two, thoug Illium has thought of creating a third. I suppose we should be glad she did not seriously consider hatching the remainder. I would be cautious to break the last egg, as you said. It seems there is a grim chance in every option here.

The explosives boat was just an idea, but they would burn my barker forests and play my fellow gods for fools, whether they are or not."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2014, 06:49:37 pm »

The old man nods. "As long as you don't plan on building out of gold and marble, like Auratus is doing in Selma's Gate, I should be able to bankroll the operation. If you feel it appropriate, you could repay me by getting my son Timothy out of the draft, or dealing with Chance's leg in return."

"If you don't feel ready to claim an artifact just yet," he says with a grin, "we can head upstairs and enjoy some wine. My vaults just don't seem the appropriate place for a discussion with a god."
Pyrite smiled. "Yes, let's."

"Heh. As you say," he said on the trip up, "I care more for flesh than stone. A temple of marble and gold is a nice box, but it's still just a box. It's what's inside that I truly care about."

He tilted his head slightly. "Hm... I wonder if the dragon has any priests yet? I'm curious how this... difference plays out in practice."

He waited until he was seated to continue.

"As for your son... I may have business with the Kiatown Army shortly, so perhaps I could deal with that then. The current commander may need some particular convincing to go along with certain schemes I have, so I may have to chat with him directly in any case."

His mouth turned down. "However... it concerns me that this sort of thing could happen in the first place. I wonder if this is a rot better dealt with at the source... wherever that may be." He gave Lord Ryder a raised eyebrow, genuinely uncertain what sorts of problems he was alluding to.

"It has to be steep," she grins, "the Harpies only deal with female rulers who keep female gods, and they are more than worth keeping around. Letting a male deity have something for less than it is worth could be interpreted as offering tribute, and I have a feeling that breaking this seige has got to be worth a fuckload to you."

The pirate twists and rolls so that she is now lying back to back ontop of the Basilisk, who shifts its own body to accommodate. "Well... primarily female gods, but I only worship two of the harpies, which means I can have one of the boys. I'm leaning towards Auratus, as he seems interested in serving as a patron to the pirates in general."

She offers a smile, "The fort would serve mainly to drive up the price of this deal, and serve as a place to store some treasure. I'm not going to make a habit of challenging that storm you have going without good reason."

The Basilisk raises its head, and Meltip scratches it fondly. "It is the miracle that means more to me, and I think it is one that will be to your liking." She looks you up and down, grinning. "I love my children very much, but they all have their father's beast-like intellect. They cannot amount much more than guards for my treasure troves in their current state. I have a son and daughter with my fleet presently, and I would like you to make at least one of them into a suitable heir... Not that I intend to age, but death has many other ways of finding me in my present profession especially. Does that sound fair?"
Pyrite gave a slow, thoughtful hum at the she-basilisk's offer. Granting a basilisk, as he assumed her spawn shared the powers with, the powers of intellect and reasoning would likely produce a champion of utterly unreasonable power. On the other hand, the opportunity to study such a being...

He didn't dare mention that the chance to empower one of her children was now perhaps the real prize in this negotiation.

"If I might ask, which two deities would that be? I fear I'm not familiar with my... winged neighbors," he said, trying to gauge the harpy guards' reactions to him. "I fear I'm also not familiar with basilisks... do they not age?" he added a bit wryly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2014, 07:51:49 pm »

The old man nods. "As long as you don't plan on building out of gold and marble, like Auratus is doing in Selma's Gate, I should be able to bankroll the operation. If you feel it appropriate, you could repay me by getting my son Timothy out of the draft, or dealing with Chance's leg in return."

"If you don't feel ready to claim an artifact just yet," he says with a grin, "we can head upstairs and enjoy some wine. My vaults just don't seem the appropriate place for a discussion with a god."
Pyrite smiled. "Yes, let's."

"Heh. As you say," he said on the trip up, "I care more for flesh than stone. A temple of marble and gold is a nice box, but it's still just a box. It's what's inside that I truly care about."

He tilted his head slightly. "Hm... I wonder if the dragon has any priests yet? I'm curious how this... difference plays out in practice."

He waited until he was seated to continue.

"As for your son... I may have business with the Kiatown Army shortly, so perhaps I could deal with that then. The current commander may need some particular convincing to go along with certain schemes I have, so I may have to chat with him directly in any case."

His mouth turned down. "However... it concerns me that this sort of thing could happen in the first place. I wonder if this is a rot better dealt with at the source... wherever that may be." He gave Lord Ryder a raised eyebrow, genuinely uncertain what sorts of problems he was alluding to.

Ryder sips his wine, and offers a shrug. "Timothy is on the Mercede shortlist for the crown. The Nexus have found a perfectly legal way to have him killed. Unless there is something that I am unaware of, the origin of this is completely political. Nothing deep or complex."

He shakes his head, and looks down at the table as if he was trying to bury some old anger. "Chance got hit with a withering curse while visiting the Nightcharm estate and mingling with their kids. She was five at the time, and couldn't tell me which Nightcharm did it to her. Lord Nightcharm himself told me that the person responsible was punished, but refused to say anymore. Jerk."

The noble takes a long drink of his wine. "I don't know about priests, but the Dragon has hired that one pirate herald to look after the temple and keep looters away..."

Pyrite gave a slow, thoughtful hum at the she-basilisk's offer. Granting a basilisk, as he assumed her spawn shared the powers with, the powers of intellect and reasoning would likely produce a champion of utterly unreasonable power. On the other hand, the opportunity to study such a being...

He didn't dare mention that the chance to empower one of her children was now perhaps the real prize in this negotiation.

"If I might ask, which two deities would that be? I fear I'm not familiar with my... winged neighbors," he said, trying to gauge the harpy guards' reactions to him. "I fear I'm also not familiar with basilisks... do they not age?" he added a bit wryly.

Meltip shakes her head and laughs, but the Harpies frown. "I'm afraid the Harpy Pantheon considers it a grave sin to allow men to obtain information about them," the pirate lord explains, "and Basilisks can age. Not that matters to me, I'm full blooded Bellian... At least I think I am... My birth is nowhere near high enough to trace my bloodline... What Basilisks can do is restore youth. My husband's eyes kill by stealing life energy at a glance, and that energy has to go somewhere. Much of what he takes is used to fuel his own growth, or squandered in various ways, but with his loving gaze he can give me the little bit that I need to stay young."

She teases the serpent's mouth open with her fingers, and draws her head close to inspect its fearsome fangs while continuing to speak. "You would never guess based on my looks alone that my husband and I have been pirating for 58 years. Would you? But enough about us. Our price. Is it acceptable?"

Ketari hummed in thought, as she was wont to do. The sound was musical. "More prophecies... this Isle seems overgrown with ominous words. Of the eggs, I know there are two, thoug Illium has thought of creating a third. I suppose we should be glad she did not seriously consider hatching the remainder. I would be cautious to break the last egg, as you said. It seems there is a grim chance in every option here.

The explosives boat was just an idea, but they would burn my barker forests and play my fellow gods for fools, whether they are or not."

"I know about the eggs, my silly friend," Patches says with a smile, which darkens as she continues, "and hopefully creating a third is not something she can accomplish overnight..."

The Goddess then shoots you a confused look, which quickly morphs into a sly smile. "and what, might I ask, is a Barker? Has my clever new friend made herself a new toy?"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:33 pm »

Ryder sips his wine, and offers a shrug. "Timothy is on the Mercede shortlist for the crown. The Nexus have found a perfectly legal way to have him killed. Unless there is something that I am unaware of, the origin of this is completely political. Nothing deep or complex."

He shakes his head, and looks down at the table as if he was trying to bury some old anger. "Chance got hit with a withering curse while visiting the Nightcharm estate and mingling with their kids. She was five at the time, and couldn't tell me which Nightcharm did it to her. Lord Nightcharm himself told me that the person responsible was punished, but refused to say anymore. Jerk."

The noble takes a long drink of his wine. "I don't know about priests, but the Dragon has hired that one pirate herald to look after the temple and keep looters away..."
"I meant more that such a way exists, but point taken. Are the factions that eager to assassinate each other's candidates?"

He raised an eyebrow at his mention of Chance. "So she's been crippled and in pain for the past decade? And I thought the Nightcharms were part of Mercede as well... do you think it was intentional?"

Meltip shakes her head and laughs, but the Harpies frown. "I'm afraid the Harpy Pantheon considers it a grave sin to allow men to obtain information about them," the pirate lord explains, "and Basilisks can age. Not that matters to me, I'm full blooded Bellian... At least I think I am... My birth is nowhere near high enough to trace my bloodline... What Basilisks can do is restore youth. My husband's eyes kill by stealing life energy at a glance, and that energy has to go somewhere. Much of what he takes is used to fuel his own growth, or squandered in various ways, but with his loving gaze he can give me the little bit that I need to stay young."

She teases the serpent's mouth open with her fingers, and draws her head close to inspect its fearsome fangs while continuing to speak. "You would never guess based on my looks alone that my husband and I have been pirating for 58 years. Would you? But enough about us. Our price. Is it acceptable?"
"No, I wouldn't..." he trailed off, "And no, it isn't," he added matter-of-factly.

"I think we both know that the boon is invaluable to you. Even assuming you've a heart of stone, the powers of a basilisk combined with the intellect of a Bellian would make for a truly fearsome ally. Assuming otherwise, the chance to grant such intellect to one of your own beloved children would be beyond worth to the right mother. Put together, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to say just helping me break this siege won't be enough on your end, nevermind the rubies or fort."

He shrugged, then looked her in the eye... or as close as he could manage without risking the basilisk's gaze. "Or maybe I'm mistaken, and your children have no powers to speak of. I doubt it, but that'd make it just the chance to see your child grow and think as a Bellian. Or harpy. Perhaps captain their own ship, bring you tales of their own exploits...

And of course, there's the issue of rarity. There are many Pirate Lords. Not as many where I need them right now, and not all as strong as you. But a bit of patience or flexibility, and I can get your services elsewhere. You? There are plenty of gods, to be sure... maybe even more than one who would take the time to come visit you. But even then, how many have my level of expertise? Is one of your goddesses that of minds and thought, or a fleshwarper as I am? An 'average' god might see fit to charge twice as much, because it'd be twice as much trouble... if they could stand such an endeavor at all. More likely, if you want this done, you'll need it done through me.

Oh, and then there's another snag,"
he added, smirking. "My services, it should be hoped, are beyond reproach. Yours have a nasty thorn to them- I'd hoped to take a good number of Orcs alive. Much of your strength is likely in your husband... who, I presume, is relatively unsubtle on that point. I do fear you'd be damaging my merchandise."

He paused a moment for his tirade to sink in, still smirking.

"So. Would you care to renegotiate this offer, or simply give your harpy guards the esteemed privilege of spitting on a male deity?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:30 am »

"I meant more that such a way exists, but point taken. Are the factions that eager to assassinate each other's candidates?"

He raised an eyebrow at his mention of Chance. "So she's been crippled and in pain for the past decade? And I thought the Nightcharms were part of Mercede as well... do you think it was intentional?"

The nobleman laughs darkly. "The assassinations only got started about a year ago, when rumor began to spread that Rexxis was going to send gods and apoint a king. Suddenly everybody playing for the crown was trying to eliminate the competition wherever they can. The law in question was originally put in place after a popular poet back in the Lionpaw Empire, the place where we have borrowed our military code from, volunteered for the army and was promptly stuck down by a Barbarian Arrow on his second day. The law allows the commander in chief to turn down a volunteer who he feels is too important to lose to war, and draft a member of the would-be volenteer's immediate family instead. On account of either a clerical error in copying the law over to our books, or an oversight by the senate that passed it, nothing in this law sets  any sort of limits as to which family members may be drafted."

Ryder shakes his head at the absurdity of the situation killing his son. "I, not knowing this, volunteered to join the military as an adviser to my friend Sergeant Lundo. The commander in Chief, being a former lawyer he must have been waiting to spring this trap on somebody for some time, sent me a nice letter two days later than instead of me spending a few days helping my friend sort out some troublesome recruits, my 11 year old budding artist would be spending two years as a private in the infantry on the beach."

You can see a few tears well up when you mention Chance. "The leg was actually too damaged to feel pain at first, the main problem was that it stopped growing; Every few years, our healer would do what she could to lengthen the damaged limb, but with each leg lengthening session, it would hurt more and more. I tried to talk her out of the last two 'treatments', but to no avail. She fears, perhaps rightly, that a freak with uneven legs would have no shot at becoming influential at any respectable court.

...As for intent, I doubt it was malicious, but cannot rule it out. Nightcharm is, as you said, on our side, and there was no logical reason, that I could deduce, for simply crippling her. The Nightcharm will teach their kids how  to perform dark magic before they teach 'em how to perform dark magic responsibly. In all likelihood, the spell was just a kid being a kid, and Lord Nightcharm simply decided to shield the actual perpetrator from the wrath of my kin. He might have a good reason for doing so; Stuff like what happened to Chance is how allience breaking family feuds get started, but that dosn't mean I like how he handled the situation."

"No, I wouldn't..." he trailed off, "And no, it isn't," he added matter-of-factly.

"I think we both know that the boon is invaluable to you. Even assuming you've a heart of stone, the powers of a basilisk combined with the intellect of a Bellian would make for a truly fearsome ally. Assuming otherwise, the chance to grant such intellect to one of your own beloved children would be beyond worth to the right mother. Put together, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to say just helping me break this siege won't be enough on your end, nevermind the rubies or fort."

He shrugged, then looked her in the eye... or as close as he could manage without risking the basilisk's gaze. "Or maybe I'm mistaken, and your children have no powers to speak of. I doubt it, but that'd make it just the chance to see your child grow and think as a Bellian. Or harpy. Perhaps captain their own ship, bring you tales of their own exploits...

And of course, there's the issue of rarity. There are many Pirate Lords. Not as many where I need them right now, and not all as strong as you. But a bit of patience or flexibility, and I can get your services elsewhere. You? There are plenty of gods, to be sure... maybe even more than one who would take the time to come visit you. But even then, how many have my level of expertise? Is one of your goddesses that of minds and thought, or a fleshwarper as I am? An 'average' god might see fit to charge twice as much, because it'd be twice as much trouble... if they could stand such an endeavor at all. More likely, if you want this done, you'll need it done through me.

Oh, and then there's another snag,"
he added, smirking. "My services, it should be hoped, are beyond reproach. Yours have a nasty thorn to them- I'd hoped to take a good number of Orcs alive. Much of your strength is likely in your husband... who, I presume, is relatively unsubtle on that point. I do fear you'd be damaging my merchandise."

He paused a moment for his tirade to sink in, still smirking.

"So. Would you care to renegotiate this offer, or simply give your harpy guards the esteemed privilege of spitting on a male deity?"

Meltip listens patiently, before rising to her feet and hopping from the back of her husband with a wide smirk on her face.

"That was quite the tirade... If the whole god thing dosn't work out for you, you should think about sales or show business. That said, I'm not buying it; Your misdirection that is. Your logic is okay. I will give you that."

"Focusing your entire rant on 'one' of the terms, supposed to draw my attention from the others, no?" Meltip lets out a soft laugh, "Even if my children turn out as mighty as you suspect for me, you would also draw credit for their deeds, no? Furthermore, I know enough about you to know that you live for these sort of fixer-uper miracle jobs. I could list at least a half dozen other reasons why you would like to help me with my babies, but that is not the point. It isn't about the item you like, it is about the item you don't."

"If the idea of the fort repels you, speak up! You are a god for gods sake! Watching you dance around the real issue, trying to avoid talking about it, is pathetic." The pirate lord approaches you with a rather self satisfied grin. She would be very tempting if it wasn't for the beast behind her.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2014, 05:22:20 am »

The nobleman laughs darkly. "The assassinations only got started about a year ago, when rumor began to spread that Rexxis was going to send gods and apoint a king. Suddenly everybody playing for the crown was trying to eliminate the competition wherever they can. The law in question was originally put in place after a popular poet back in the Lionpaw Empire, the place where we have borrowed our military code from, volunteered for the army and was promptly stuck down by a Barbarian Arrow on his second day. The law allows the commander in chief to turn down a volunteer who he feels is too important to lose to war, and draft a member of the would-be volenteer's immediate family instead. On account of either a clerical error in copying the law over to our books, or an oversight by the senate that passed it, nothing in this law sets  any sort of limits as to which family members may be drafted."

Ryder shakes his head at the absurdity of the situation killing his son. "I, not knowing this, volunteered to join the military as an adviser to my friend Sergeant Lundo. The commander in Chief, being a former lawyer he must have been waiting to spring this trap on somebody for some time, sent me a nice letter two days later than instead of me spending a few days helping my friend sort out some troublesome recruits, my 11 year old budding artist would be spending two years as a private in the infantry on the beach."

You can see a few tears well up when you mention Chance. "The leg was actually too damaged to feel pain at first, the main problem was that it stopped growing; Every few years, our healer would do what she could to lengthen the damaged limb, but with each leg lengthening session, it would hurt more and more. I tried to talk her out of the last two 'treatments', but to no avail. She fears, perhaps rightly, that a freak with uneven legs would have no shot at becoming influential at any respectable court.

...As for intent, I doubt it was malicious, but cannot rule it out. Nightcharm is, as you said, on our side, and there was no logical reason, that I could deduce, for simply crippling her. The Nightcharm will teach their kids how  to perform dark magic before they teach 'em how to perform dark magic responsibly. In all likelihood, the spell was just a kid being a kid, and Lord Nightcharm simply decided to shield the actual perpetrator from the wrath of my kin. He might have a good reason for doing so; Stuff like what happened to Chance is how allience breaking family feuds get started, but that dosn't mean I like how he handled the situation."
Pyrite's expression soured as the nobleman described the troubles facing his son, but his brow snapped to an expression of furrowed incredulity at the mention of his daughter.

"That's the best you could do? What kind of a healer is this?" he asked, remembering what General Nightcharm had said about frameworks. He wondered if there was really no framework in place, past or present, to do something as simple as heal rather than stretch painfully, or if he was grossly underestimating the power of a withering curse.

Meltip listens patiently, before rising to her feet and hopping from the back of her husband with a wide smirk on her face.

"That was quite the tirade... If the whole god thing dosn't work out for you, you should think about sales or show business. That said, I'm not buying it; Your misdirection that is. Your logic is okay. I will give you that."

"Focusing your entire rant on 'one' of the terms, supposed to draw my attention from the others, no?" Meltip lets out a soft laugh, "Even if my children turn out as mighty as you suspect for me, you would also draw credit for their deeds, no? Furthermore, I know enough about you to know that you live for these sort of fixer-uper miracle jobs. I could list at least a half dozen other reasons why you would like to help me with my babies, but that is not the point. It isn't about the item you like, it is about the item you don't."

"If the idea of the fort repels you, speak up! You are a god for gods sake! Watching you dance around the real issue, trying to avoid talking about it, is pathetic." The pirate lord approaches you with a rather self satisfied grin. She would be very tempting if it wasn't for the beast behind her.
Pyrite gave a sharp "Kch." He hadn't felt he was dancing around anything, but she was right on both counts- he didn't like the fort, and he really wanted this job. If he hadn't, he could have just thrown rubies at Pennywise and gotten nearly as good a service for far less hassle; instead he was trying to twist her arm to get his hands on those basilisks without having to let her onto the Islands.

"Hah," he snorted a moment later. "I guess expertise comes at a cost. Very well then; let's start with the rubies, since you don't like me skipping things. I don't think I should have to part with them.

On to the fort. I don't think I should have to allow that either."
He locked eyes with her, his voice betraying a bit more irritation. "But I also don't like the idea in general. The Domain Islands are not just a place that happens to be near us; they're a part of our Domain. That's why the storm covers them in the first place, to keep snooping mortals out of our business. Mortals we trusted or liked I could make an exception for, but you're clearly neither. You're thinking about worshiping the dragon, and you want the fort to stash baubles in and for the sake of having it. None of that suggests I'm going to let you onto our porch.

So let's make a new deal,"
he continued, his expression intensifying to betray the greed she already knew was there. "I take both your children. I improve them, grant them greater intellects, speech if necessary, perhaps humanoid forms if convenient. I maybe do some other things with them as well... and then we split them. Not you get one and I get the other; we share. They become my disciples while remaining your children. They spend some time learning from and working for me, some time learning from and hunting with you. Maybe at some point they start developing preferences for one or the other, and then some really interesting things might happen. But until then, we share."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:23 am »

There was no sign of the easy laughter or ready smile in Tulwor's form as he strode into the heart of the Castle. Helmhammer was grasped so tightly blood seemed to have fled from his hands. He stared at the Jade Throne for a while, as if he'd never seen it before.

Tulwor slammed the hammer down. The sound rang through the chamber, through the castle

'Gods of Newbellum! I, Tulwor Stormbreaker, summon you! We have been wronged! My blood - your loyal servant - has been taken from us, by a coward dragon! Our sanctuary has been breached; our defenses have failed us. I call upon you so we may have vengeance!'

They'd find him at the Throne if they were in the Castle or when they returned. Tulwor had no intention to wait too long. His sister would know of this creature, at least, and even if none of them aided him, he would use their knowledge.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:55 pm »

Pyrite's expression soured as the nobleman described the troubles facing his son, but his brow snapped to an expression of furrowed incredulity at the mention of his daughter.

"That's the best you could do? What kind of a healer is this?" he asked, remembering what General Nightcharm had said about frameworks. He wondered if there was really no framework in place, past or present, to do something as simple as heal rather than stretch painfully, or if he was grossly underestimating the power of a withering curse.

"There are plenty of reasons why good healers are hard to come by in Kiatown. Most of them related to the fact that none of the gods, Bellian or otherwise, who support healing magic keep a temple here. We are also near a major pirate settlement, and pirates love to kidnap and enslave healers; Most of them work with gods too benevolent to allow their servants to willingly work with pirates."

He shakes his and, and offers an embarrassed smile. "The last healer who worked with Chance was pretty decent though. She was this cute little Barbarian woman who claimed that she was working on a way to undo the withering curse, so we offered her lodging and took her on as the family physician. We had to send her away when my wife caught us together... Last I heard, she was living on that Harpy Worshiping Commune just east of the city walls."

Pyrite gave a sharp "Kch." He hadn't felt he was dancing around anything, but she was right on both counts- he didn't like the fort, and he really wanted this job. If he hadn't, he could have just thrown rubies at Pennywise and gotten nearly as good a service for far less hassle; instead he was trying to twist her arm to get his hands on those basilisks without having to let her onto the Islands.

"Hah," he snorted a moment later. "I guess expertise comes at a cost. Very well then; let's start with the rubies, since you don't like me skipping things. I don't think I should have to part with them.

On to the fort. I don't think I should have to allow that either."
He locked eyes with her, his voice betraying a bit more irritation. "But I also don't like the idea in general. The Domain Islands are not just a place that happens to be near us; they're a part of our Domain. That's why the storm covers them in the first place, to keep snooping mortals out of our business. Mortals we trusted or liked I could make an exception for, but you're clearly neither. You're thinking about worshiping the dragon, and you want the fort to stash baubles in and for the sake of having it. None of that suggests I'm going to let you onto our porch.

So let's make a new deal,"
he continued, his expression intensifying to betray the greed she already knew was there. "I take both your children. I improve them, grant them greater intellects, speech if necessary, perhaps humanoid forms if convenient. I maybe do some other things with them as well... and then we split them. Not you get one and I get the other; we share. They become my disciples while remaining your children. They spend some time learning from and working for me, some time learning from and hunting with you. Maybe at some point they start developing preferences for one or the other, and then some really interesting things might happen. But until then, we share."

Meltip offers a satisfied smile, "Now we are negotiating. Your proposal is a fair trade that satisfies both of our desires, but as we both gain from it, I am not sure I could consider it as payment for a task as large as what you are asking. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to pay my boys and girls with the fact that my child has been improved."

The pirate lord takes a step back and leans against her desk; Her husband slithers to her side, with a flick of its tongue. "So let us do this - Make my children a separate deal from the fort. I'd hate for us to both miss this opportunity because we cannot come to terms on a completely different matter. I like the basic idea of your offer for them, but I think I would rather just give you one, and keep one for myself. I have twenty-two of the darling squirmy buggers, so I think I would be better off letting one go than having two in the service of a god I may or may not ever worship."

She offers you a mischievous smile, "...Then again, the longer I talk to you, the more I'm considering 'may' to be an option for that."

The smile fades, "But back to the business of the siege then. To take the job, I would require your rubies, or something else of value for my pirates, and at least a little bit extra on top to ensure that I am getting a good enough deal that cannot be interpreted as paying your tribute. I have intercepted messages between you and the other two lords at port; Wild Red's demands are truly costly and outrageous, and although you have been speaking with Pennywise, I cannot imagine that the gods would chose anything short of the most powerful and impressive fleet for a task of this importance."

She briefly exchanges a curious look with one of her harpy guards, before continuing. "This leads me to ask, why not the fort? I wont insist on it if it is an absolute deal-breaker, but it just doesn't make sense. If this is purely a matter of divine integrity or pride, than it is no worse than asking your high houses to give the Barbarian virgins and artifacts. If it is about security and privacy, why have such tempting real estate in the first place? Is there something that I am unaware of that makes my settling of the domains more offensive to you than it is to me, I would like to know as much. Even if you can't tell me, or I wouldn't be able to understand the true cost to you of this proposal, just tell me as much, and offer something else in the place of the fort. It dosn't have to be much. I didn't even begin to imagine that item would be the big deal."

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »

Giaus blinks, gestures to his mook to put the sword away, falls back into his seat, and falls silent for a long spell. He speaks again in a tone that is less contemptuous, but no more trusting either.

"...I beg your pardon then. I always thought of the gods as beings more interested in their own desires and grudges than mortal politics, and the commoner never mentioned that he got advice from you. I will hear you out if you still wish to speak to me."
Lounging in the chair, Auratus pondered the question, unable to decide all too quickly. Did he want to continue? Truthfully, he would very much like to punish this mortal who would dare to take such a deviant stance against him. Then again, he had come to seek cooperation with House Riptide, and putting himself at odds with them was sure to become a negative influence for his cause in Selma's Gate. Massaging his temples, he decided to let the matter rest for now, as he could always sanction them for it at a later date. Not all of his revenge need to be served in blind anger, albeit he somewhat preferred it that way.

Heaving a long sigh, the dragon replied rather unenthusiastic. " Hmm.. Well, the matters at hand won't change. We might as well go along with it. " Seating himself in a more upright position – he still had taken care to let his eyes not fall bellow those of Giaus, even while lounging – he started to talk. " Frankly. I am not in the mood to change the opinion you seemingly want to have of myself and my motives, so I will speak from a logical point of view. Unless I am sorely mistaken, there should be little men that are as aware of the importance which naval affairs hold for our presence here, as you are. As you might guess from my actions in Selma's Gate, I am already dabbling in them, and plan to continue doing so in the future. Piracy to harass and weaken those that are against us, Trade to prosper and strengthen us instead. Obviously, I would also get my cut from these actions, but nothing unreasonable, lest it would limit the feasibility of trading, or stunt the growth of the two cities. "

Talking about the good parts, the dragon could feel his spirits rising. Not enough to counter his overall dismay, but enough to dispel his previous lethargy. " Your House would be suited best to serve me in that interest, and while you would also prosper alongside me, I would not loath to reward you with things that mortal hands can't achieve. The exact details is something we would need to consider at length, and in relation to your involvement. If you would prefer our dealings to be purely commercial instead, that could also be arranged. I would also like to speak of another matter, but is there anything you want to remark so far? "

Several of the mortals gather around and help you to your feet. Their leader, a Bellian in his early twenties, looks you over with a big ol' shit eating grin before speaking. "Well this is one for the history books. Big, bad, Auratus, rescued from his own kind by House Skullcrest!"

The big, bad dragon in question saw it fit to glare at the youth – or at least his general direction, as his senses were still not fully returned. After some time, the exact amount of which he was a bit unsure due to his state of confusion, he tried to stand on his own again, promptly brushing away those mortals which had held him up just moments before.

"I.. I would be very pleased, if you would leave it at that...", he groaned, but not in a tone one would normally use for asking. Inspecting his body in detail, there seemed not too much wrong with it, but he was quite exhausted by the game of tag he had just been involved in. Yes, he would never hear the end of that one. After ruling out the possibility of killing all the eyewitnesses unscathed, or rather, alive and well, he decided to care about this problem on another day, not daring to think how his mother would react once these news would eventually reach her in her lair. He was even sure that Rexxis might bring her this piece of information personally, undoubtedly going to rub it in as deep and long as possible. Yeah, there was no way he would think of much else than this disgrace in the coming days.

Forcefully detracting himself from such thoughts, he tried to salvage what little he could, given his unsightly situation. Taking on a tone of authority, he bellowed. " More importantly, send out riders – the orcish pantheon is as of now involved in the war! We can't rule out that they will take to the battlefield themselves, seeing as one of them had no qualms about taking Chell hostage, nor ambushing me – if anything, the orcs are at least bound to attack with new vigour! "

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:33 pm »

"I know about the eggs, my silly friend," Patches says with a smile, which darkens as she continues, "and hopefully creating a third is not something she can accomplish overnight..."

The Goddess then shoots you a confused look, which quickly morphs into a sly smile. "and what, might I ask, is a Barker? Has my clever new friend made herself a new toy?"

Ketari laughed again. "That I have, and is why I'm so keen to see this pirate bird-worshipper fail. The Barkers are my beloved pets, born of forest wood and vines. It was them out on a hunt that brought me the final egg that is at the root cause of this matter... the Barkers grow in a forest on one of the Domain Islands, and I'd prefer not to see it burned. It was difficult magic, and I'm not sure I could do it again. The life was already there to grow, but the minds I made myself. A experiment with a joyful result. I think the latest flowerings have been bountiful. You may have some to study if you like - as you have so kindly offered me use of your devices, yes?"

There was no sign of the easy laughter or ready smile in Tulwor's form as he strode into the heart of the Castle. Helmhammer was grasped so tightly blood seemed to have fled from his hands. He stared at the Jade Throne for a while, as if he'd never seen it before.

Tulwor slammed the hammer down. The sound rang through the chamber, through the castle

'Gods of Newbellum! I, Tulwor Stormbreaker, summon you! We have been wronged! My blood - your loyal servant - has been taken from us, by a coward dragon! Our sanctuary has been breached; our defenses have failed us. I call upon you so we may have vengeance!'

They'd find him at the Throne if they were in the Castle or when they returned. Tulwor had no intention to wait too long. His sister would know of this creature, at least, and even if none of them aided him, he would use their knowledge.

It was not long before Ketari swept in, the Barkers padding around her feet. Several formed a seat for her, and she rested on their mossy backs.
"Blood of my blood. There have been many problems of late, have there not? First the murderous spear-" here her gaze met his icily, unflinchingly "-shed a childs blood and wishes for ours, and now a dragon. I know not his name yet, but he is Orcish Pantheon, of kidnappings, provaction, strength and war. Stronger than any of us alone, even I, though I would have the greatest chance against us."
Her gaze flickered to the Jade Throne.
"It is clear we need power. We are beset on all sides by threats... but who shall wield this might is the question, yes?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2014, 07:30:08 pm »

Lounging in the chair, Auratus pondered the question, unable to decide all too quickly. Did he want to continue? Truthfully, he would very much like to punish this mortal who would dare to take such a deviant stance against him. Then again, he had come to seek cooperation with House Riptide, and putting himself at odds with them was sure to become a negative influence for his cause in Selma's Gate. Massaging his temples, he decided to let the matter rest for now, as he could always sanction them for it at a later date. Not all of his revenge need to be served in blind anger, albeit he somewhat preferred it that way.

Heaving a long sigh, the dragon replied rather unenthusiastic. " Hmm.. Well, the matters at hand won't change. We might as well go along with it. " Seating himself in a more upright position – he still had taken care to let his eyes not fall bellow those of Giaus, even while lounging – he started to talk. " Frankly. I am not in the mood to change the opinion you seemingly want to have of myself and my motives, so I will speak from a logical point of view. Unless I am sorely mistaken, there should be little men that are as aware of the importance which naval affairs hold for our presence here, as you are. As you might guess from my actions in Selma's Gate, I am already dabbling in them, and plan to continue doing so in the future. Piracy to harass and weaken those that are against us, Trade to prosper and strengthen us instead. Obviously, I would also get my cut from these actions, but nothing unreasonable, lest it would limit the feasibility of trading, or stunt the growth of the two cities. "

Talking about the good parts, the dragon could feel his spirits rising. Not enough to counter his overall dismay, but enough to dispel his previous lethargy. " Your House would be suited best to serve me in that interest, and while you would also prosper alongside me, I would not loath to reward you with things that mortal hands can't achieve. The exact details is something we would need to consider at length, and in relation to your involvement. If you would prefer our dealings to be purely commercial instead, that could also be arranged. I would also like to speak of another matter, but is there anything you want to remark so far? "

Giaus thinks hard before speaking. You spot the glint of greed in his eyes, but it is tempered by so many other things; Caution, mistrust, world weariness, and many other negative trappings. "I find your plan agreeable in principal, but I am unsure about the feasibility. I have much influence over the affairs of the family fleet, but no true hard power over it. Furthermore, any orders or suggestions I give would be delayed, because they would have to find the fleet first, which rarely visits this island... Furthermore, I highly doubt my family would be willing to be part of the same faction as the Dread Pirates. The grudge is strong enough, that any orders I might give against it are more likely to result in my disposal than in said orders actually being carried out."

The old man chances to make brief eye contact with you, abruptly breaking the gaze after half a second. "So clearly I cannot just turn over control of the sea to you, but that doesn't mean I am unable to assist your cause if an agreement can be reached. If given enough time and notice, I should be able to occasionally direct the family fleet, and perhaps even Selma's armada, to meet your interests. I can provide regular reports on the general status of the seas, or call upon the family information network which has moles in any fleet worth having moles in. I could also likely arrange a meeting between you and Selma, which given your stated interests might need to eventually happen..."

"So," he takes a deep breath in anticipation, "are any of those services worth anything to you, Dragon?"

The big, bad dragon in question saw it fit to glare at the youth – or at least his general direction, as his senses were still not fully returned. After some time, the exact amount of which he was a bit unsure due to his state of confusion, he tried to stand on his own again, promptly brushing away those mortals which had held him up just moments before.

"I.. I would be very pleased, if you would leave it at that...", he groaned, but not in a tone one would normally use for asking. Inspecting his body in detail, there seemed not too much wrong with it, but he was quite exhausted by the game of tag he had just been involved in. Yes, he would never hear the end of that one. After ruling out the possibility of killing all the eyewitnesses unscathed, or rather, alive and well, he decided to care about this problem on another day, not daring to think how his mother would react once these news would eventually reach her in her lair. He was even sure that Rexxis might bring her this piece of information personally, undoubtedly going to rub it in as deep and long as possible. Yeah, there was no way he would think of much else than this disgrace in the coming days.

Forcefully detracting himself from such thoughts, he tried to salvage what little he could, given his unsightly situation. Taking on a tone of authority, he bellowed. " More importantly, send out riders – the orcish pantheon is as of now involved in the war! We can't rule out that they will take to the battlefield themselves, seeing as one of them had no qualms about taking Chell hostage, nor ambushing me – if anything, the orcs are at least bound to attack with new vigour! "

"Whatever do you mean by that?" the youth asks in confusion, "that wasn't an Orcish God. That was a dra... oh."

The truth of the matter dawns on the boy, and his grin returns, seemingly larger than before. "...The Orcish Pantheon are Dragons! For house Skullcrest, this truly is the Island of Plenty! We need to spread the news, and make ready! If the ennimies of Kiatown are to be Dragons, Skullcrest will be the most useful, and thus most powerful, family around!"

With that, the Skullcrests disperse in a hurry, leaving you to fly back to the castle alone with your thoughts.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2014, 07:47:50 pm »

"There are plenty of reasons why good healers are hard to come by in Kiatown. Most of them related to the fact that none of the gods, Bellian or otherwise, who support healing magic keep a temple here. We are also near a major pirate settlement, and pirates love to kidnap and enslave healers; Most of them work with gods too benevolent to allow their servants to willingly work with pirates."

He shakes his and, and offers an embarrassed smile. "The last healer who worked with Chance was pretty decent though. She was this cute little Barbarian woman who claimed that she was working on a way to undo the withering curse, so we offered her lodging and took her on as the family physician. We had to send her away when my wife caught us together... Last I heard, she was living on that Harpy Worshiping Commune just east of the city walls."
Pyrite started laughing at the second part, until he realized his wife had prevented her daughter or husband's daughter from being healed over who got to bed him.

The resulting frown carried over as he considered the healer situation. "Hm... I suppose they would... and that makes sense," he said, brightening up as he realized what it meant. "But that means if I got my own priesthood with healing powers, they'd be in very high demand..." He couldn't help but smirk a bit at the thought of incidentally stealing some of Auratus' thunder on that front; pirates might like gold and jewels, but they still liked their own flesh as well.

"Speaking of which, I was hoping to discuss your youngest son a bit. If he's as intelligent and... off, as you say, I wonder if he'd make for a useful apprentice. No doubt I'll be quite busy in the future, so I'll have no time to properly train him... but if I could save some time by training him enough to be useful to me later, that might work out for everyone involved."

He shrugged. "Not that I've thought the idea through all the way, but if he's ill-suited to here and has a lot of potential, it might be worth considering."

Meltip offers a satisfied smile, "Now we are negotiating. Your proposal is a fair trade that satisfies both of our desires, but as we both gain from it, I am not sure I could consider it as payment for a task as large as what you are asking. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to pay my boys and girls with the fact that my child has been improved."

The pirate lord takes a step back and leans against her desk; Her husband slithers to her side, with a flick of its tongue. "So let us do this - Make my children a separate deal from the fort. I'd hate for us to both miss this opportunity because we cannot come to terms on a completely different matter. I like the basic idea of your offer for them, but I think I would rather just give you one, and keep one for myself. I have twenty-two of the darling squirmy buggers, so I think I would be better off letting one go than having two in the service of a god I may or may not ever worship."

She offers you a mischievous smile, "...Then again, the longer I talk to you, the more I'm considering 'may' to be an option for that."

The smile fades, "But back to the business of the siege then. To take the job, I would require your rubies, or something else of value for my pirates, and at least a little bit extra on top to ensure that I am getting a good enough deal that cannot be interpreted as paying your tribute. I have intercepted messages between you and the other two lords at port; Wild Red's demands are truly costly and outrageous, and although you have been speaking with Pennywise, I cannot imagine that the gods would chose anything short of the most powerful and impressive fleet for a task of this importance."

She briefly exchanges a curious look with one of her harpy guards, before continuing. "This leads me to ask, why not the fort? I wont insist on it if it is an absolute deal-breaker, but it just doesn't make sense. If this is purely a matter of divine integrity or pride, than it is no worse than asking your high houses to give the Barbarian virgins and artifacts. If it is about security and privacy, why have such tempting real estate in the first place? Is there something that I am unaware of that makes my settling of the domains more offensive to you than it is to me, I would like to know as much. Even if you can't tell me, or I wouldn't be able to understand the true cost to you of this proposal, just tell me as much, and offer something else in the place of the fort. It dosn't have to be much. I didn't even begin to imagine that item would be the big deal."
Pyrite thought about her counteroffer for a good while before answering.

"I agree with splitting the offers. Splitting the serpents I'm less certain of. I intend to alter and train mine, be they one or two, well past your request. If my examination and conversations with them reveal that one is more talented and interested in what I require than the other, and that one would like to stay and study with me while the other would like to return to its parents on the sea, I suppose that would end conveniently. Otherwise, it might be unfortunate to only let one realize their true potential." He cracked a slight smile. "Heh. Or prevent one from hunting people on the seas, disappointed as it'd make me if both of them preferred that."

He gave a moment's more thought on her second offer before continuing. "As for the fort, there are indeed things I'd rather not say about them. However, they exist in the first place to be shaped by us as we see fit; as mentioned, if you were strongly connected to us I might consider it."

He took a deep breath, still trying to puzzle out what to offer instead. "Fair enough on paying your crew... though you're mistaken regarding Pennywise. I'd prefer more strength, of course, but I need the transport at least as much as I need the raw muscle. We may also be bringing two gods into this fight, and potentially our forces will have better weapons to boot. Every little bit helps, but by all rights we should have the upper hand by a fair margin already."

Another moment of thought passed, before he finally perked up. "Orcs. As I said, I'd like to take as many alive as possible. You seem to like using things... more powerful than an average Bellian," he said, glancing at her harpies and husband, "and I'm sure you're familiar with how loyal they are to their masters. A few Orcish captives could round out your forces nicely, and might be even more valuable to you than a secure place to stash jewels, wouldn't you say?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2014, 08:43:10 pm »

The resulting frown carried over as he considered the healer situation. "Hm... I suppose they would... and that makes sense," he said, brightening up as he realized what it meant. "But that means if I got my own priesthood with healing powers, they'd be in very high demand..." He couldn't help but smirk a bit at the thought of incidentally stealing some of Auratus' thunder on that front; pirates might like gold and jewels, but they still liked their own flesh as well.

"Speaking of which, I was hoping to discuss your youngest son a bit. If he's as intelligent and... off, as you say, I wonder if he'd make for a useful apprentice. No doubt I'll be quite busy in the future, so I'll have no time to properly train him... but if I could save some time by training him enough to be useful to me later, that might work out for everyone involved."

He shrugged. "Not that I've thought the idea through all the way, but if he's ill-suited to here and has a lot of potential, it might be worth considering."

"I could get you in touch with Tobbin Nightcharm. He would be just the guy to help you with priestly frameworks I reckon. His kin always speak highly of him in comparison to the Nighcharms of the mainland," Ryder muses, "and of course I could set up a temple for you, but beyond that, I don't think my family would be of much use for that plan."

He perks up when you mention his youngest son. "That could work out well for both of us. Depending on how far and fast the Bellian population expands on this island, he could be King of his own city in his lifetime, and an apprenticeship under you would bring him legitimacy. If you would like to meet Henry, he lives with my wife and his infant sister, who is a bit too young to merit mention among my assets, at her house. That would be the smallish building just south of my kennels. Otherwise, assuming I find transport I can trust to brave your storm, I can have him sent to Newbellum Castle to meet you on your own turf."

The man laughs, "Just don't smite the boy for his ego or audacity. At my last court appearance, he had the nerve to tell the commander in chief that he'd like to dissect his liver to discover how somebody so fat and drunk could possibly live to his age. I'm fairly sure he would show little more respect for a god."

Pyrite thought about her counteroffer for a good while before answering.

"I agree with splitting the offers. Splitting the serpents I'm less certain of. I intend to alter and train mine, be they one or two, well past your request. If my examination and conversations with them reveal that one is more talented and interested in what I require than the other, and that one would like to stay and study with me while the other would like to return to its parents on the sea, I suppose that would end conveniently. Otherwise, it might be unfortunate to only let one realize their true potential." He cracked a slight smile. "Heh. Or prevent one from hunting people on the seas, disappointed as it'd make me if both of them preferred that."

He gave a moment's more thought on her second offer before continuing. "As for the fort, there are indeed things I'd rather not say about them. However, they exist in the first place to be shaped by us as we see fit; as mentioned, if you were strongly connected to us I might consider it."

He took a deep breath, still trying to puzzle out what to offer instead. "Fair enough on paying your crew... though you're mistaken regarding Pennywise. I'd prefer more strength, of course, but I need the transport at least as much as I need the raw muscle. We may also be bringing two gods into this fight, and potentially our forces will have better weapons to boot. Every little bit helps, but by all rights we should have the upper hand by a fair margin already."

Another moment of thought passed, before he finally perked up. "Orcs. As I said, I'd like to take as many alive as possible. You seem to like using things... more powerful than an average Bellian," he said, glancing at her harpies and husband, "and I'm sure you're familiar with how loyal they are to their masters. A few Orcish captives could round out your forces nicely, and might be even more valuable to you than a secure place to stash jewels, wouldn't you say?"

Meltip giggles at your counter-offer regarding her children, and kisses her husband on the snout, before returning her attention to you. "Interesting idea, but I need assurance of at least one child for myself, or at the very least your promise that you'd be a better choice than Auratus for my one male god. If you wish to keep the first two, I will keep sending you more until there is  at least one for me to keep, and that would be a deal so far in your favor there is no way it couldn't be considered paying tribute. Meltip the mother finds you useful, but will you also be a good fit for Meltip the pirate?"

After listening to your explanation and counteroffer on the fort, Meltip turns to the Harpy she had earlier exchanged a glance with, and speaks to it in its own chirping language; "Go find Rifter on The Fang and ask him how many Orcs we could accommodate, and then tell that blasted messenger that I will have to turn her down, or at least demand a price so high I can't even begin to think where to begin renegotiation. From what Pyrite says, defiling the domains would be something much more than just a symbolic strike against Ketari alone. I'm not bringing the wrath of five gods down on my head just to please one."

The Harpy nods, and flies out of the room. It is clear that nobody else in the room is aware that the Bellian Gods speak in tongues. "Do excuse her," Meltip explains, "I just sent her to check with logistics. Orcs sound good, but I want to know how many I can handle before I continue negotiations along those lines. Unless you are willing to offer me as many Orcs as I can carry off, I'm afraid we are going to have to wait a few minutes."
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:45:08 pm by Weirdsound »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2014, 12:46:33 am »

In Patches lairKetari twitched, as if hearing a distant voice.
"Hmm... it seems veangance against the bird-worshipper can wait. Though for conspiring against me... there will be consequences, yes?"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:24 am »

"I could get you in touch with Tobbin Nightcharm. He would be just the guy to help you with priestly frameworks I reckon. His kin always speak highly of him in comparison to the Nighcharms of the mainland," Ryder muses, "and of course I could set up a temple for you, but beyond that, I don't think my family would be of much use for that plan."

He perks up when you mention his youngest son. "That could work out well for both of us. Depending on how far and fast the Bellian population expands on this island, he could be King of his own city in his lifetime, and an apprenticeship under you would bring him legitimacy. If you would like to meet Henry, he lives with my wife and his infant sister, who is a bit too young to merit mention among my assets, at her house. That would be the smallish building just south of my kennels. Otherwise, assuming I find transport I can trust to brave your storm, I can have him sent to Newbellum Castle to meet you on your own turf."

The man laughs, "Just don't smite the boy for his ego or audacity. At my last court appearance, he had the nerve to tell the commander in chief that he'd like to dissect his liver to discover how somebody so fat and drunk could possibly live to his age. I'm fairly sure he would show little more respect for a god."
Pyrite couldn't help but laugh uproariously at the boy's reported behavior. "I like him already!" he said, grinning, "And I'll bet the commander regretted drafting the wrong one!"

He continued after his chuckling had subsided. "Yes, I think I would like to meet with him now, if that's alright. As for Nightcharm, I believe I've met him, and I do believe I'll need his help for setting those up. What I don't know is when I'll be working on them, though, so I wouldn't bother him just yet unless he'd want time to prepare."

Meltip giggles at your counter-offer regarding her children, and kisses her husband on the snout, before returning her attention to you. "Interesting idea, but I need assurance of at least one child for myself, or at the very least your promise that you'd be a better choice than Auratus for my one male god. If you wish to keep the first two, I will keep sending you more until there is  at least one for me to keep, and that would be a deal so far in your favor there is no way it couldn't be considered paying tribute. Meltip the mother finds you useful, but will you also be a good fit for Meltip the pirate?"

After listening to your explanation and counteroffer on the fort, Meltip turns to the Harpy she had earlier exchanged a glance with, and speaks to it in its own chirping language; "Go find Rifter on The Fang and ask him how many Orcs we could accommodate, and then tell that blasted messenger that I will have to turn her down, or at least demand a price so high I can't even begin to think where to begin renegotiation. From what Pyrite says, defiling the domains would be something much more than just a symbolic strike against Ketari alone. I'm not bringing the wrath of five gods down on my head just to please one."

The Harpy nods, and flies out of the room. It is clear that nobody else in the room is aware that the Bellian Gods speak in tongues. "Do excuse her," Meltip explains, "I just sent her to check with logistics. Orcs sound good, but I want to know how many I can handle before I continue negotiations along those lines. Unless you are willing to offer me as many Orcs as I can carry off, I'm afraid we are going to have to wait a few minutes."
"Then we'll wait," he responded. "I have plans for these Orcs, and would rather not part with any more than necessary. I wouldn't think I'd need to offer too many to make this exercise count as something other than tribute, either."

He then took a bit to consider the basilisk affair, periodically clicking his teeth together. It would have made a good excuse to consider the information he'd just overheard, had he not genuinely needed time to think about the matter at hand. He let the former rest at noting the calamity of his near-miss seemed to involve either an insult that likely would have spiraled out of control, or the impressively callous sacrifice of an unwitting pawn to cripple his pantheon's defenses.

Finally he tilted his head in realization. "Hm... what about a wager, then? It's occurred to me that if both of the children you lend me decide they'd prefer me as a deity and master, I'd have little reason not to improve them both. You'd be left out in the cold... but if you're two for two in your children following me, that'd make a good case for you doing the same. I can't swear how many I'd have time to improve, but surely after three of four you'd end up with a suitable heir interested in sailing with you, my disciple or not.

Conversely, if neither of them take to my methods or gifts, I could try for more without being accused of accepting tribute... or I suppose I could settle for being owed favors by some truly terrifying entities. Either way, I'd still get some benefits out of examining them, and any other combination of results should give us each at least one of what we want."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39