Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51799 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2014, 07:06:27 pm »

"Chell referred to him as 'General', and he wore a uniform to match the title. I'd guess he is in his late forties or early fifties, he looks early middle aged, and wears some badges and medals from battles fought thirty or so years ago. The Nightcharm standard is a bat hanging upside-down from the center of a cresent moon, you can't miss it."

Dennis again begins to climb his way back up to his feet. "Seeing as he survived alot of battle, and has claimed a high rank for himself, it is likely he pratices. Even if he doesn't, he may know more than me... Could be reluctant to talk though. Plenty of the Old Pantheon frown upon the dark arts."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »

"Heh, so I've heard. I don't, so he needn't worry... but perhaps I'll have to be clear on that. Thank you for all of your assistance, priest."

With that, Pyrite took off to find a middle-aged man in a general's uniform bearing a bat hanging upside down from a crescent moon.

"You there!" he said upon finding him. "General Nightcharm, is it? I was hoping you could tell me more about vampires and dark magic. I've no quarrel with either, so you needn't worry about that. But as an improver, vampires are an interesting specimen, and I could stand to learn more about mortal magics in general."

He looked the general up and down, wondering if he was involved in the current Orcish conflict.

"And as long as I'm here, are you familiar with how Orcs fare against Bellians in single combat?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2014, 07:59:04 pm »

"You there!" he said upon finding him. "General Nightcharm, is it? I was hoping you could tell me more about vampires and dark magic. I've no quarrel with either, so you needn't worry about that. But as an improver, vampires are an interesting specimen, and I could stand to learn more about mortal magics in general."

He looked the general up and down, wondering if he was involved in the current Orcish conflict.

"And as long as I'm here, are you familiar with how Orcs fare against Bellians in single combat?"

You find the general examining Ketemos' Nexus gate, and scribbling in a small black book, which he hastily stows in his pouch when you call out to him. He panics, and drops to one knee, but regains his composure upon hearing you out.

"Funny... you should mention Vampires and Orcs in the same breath. I was thinking... of writing some of my Kin in Agrippa's brood and seeing if I could get them up here to help deal with those Barbarians... A Bellian is no match for an Orc in single combat... or at least he wouldn't be if it wasn't for the fact that Orcs know not how to make metal gear. Even with that advantage, we have yet to win a straight up battle against a force of equivalent manpower..."

He sighs, "And yes. I likely... have the answer to whatever Dark Magic or Vampire questions you may ask. I handle framework management for the Dark Mages my house keeps on this island, and I have a daughter and a cousin in the Brood."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2014, 08:19:23 pm »

"Kch! Just what I need. Eugh, well, nevermind that. I'll just... eeeeuuuughhhh..."

He spent a few moments with his head in one palm, wearing a pained expression.

"Are we really going to have to go through the siege?" he finally asked, exasperated. "I'd hoped there was a way around this mess, one that didn't involve attacking entrenched Orcs. Even if we win, it'd be exceedingly messy..."

He thought a moment longer, still looking like he had a bad taste in his mouth.

"What about magic? Mortal, I mean. Does your family have a sizeable force? I know there's some Elementalists around, I could try getting on good terms with them." He sighed. "And of course I could ask the other gods what they think, but as far as I can tell, if none of those work I'm stuck warping some mortal into a suitable army-breaker.

...and I'm glad you can answer my questions about your family's specialties, I just... got distracted. I assume you... hm. Come to think of it, is House Nightcharm part of a particular faction here?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:25 pm »

"Kch! Just what I need. Eugh, well, nevermind that. I'll just... eeeeuuuughhhh..."

He spent a few moments with his head in one palm, wearing a pained expression.

"Are we really going to have to go through the siege?" he finally asked, exasperated. "I'd hoped there was a way around this mess, one that didn't involve attacking entrenched Orcs. Even if we win, it'd be exceedingly messy..."

He thought a moment longer, still looking like he had a bad taste in his mouth.

"What about magic? Mortal, I mean. Does your family have a sizeable force? I know there's some Elementalists around, I could try getting on good terms with them." He sighed. "And of course I could ask the other gods what they think, but as far as I can tell, if none of those work I'm stuck warping some mortal into a suitable army-breaker.

...and I'm glad you can answer my questions about your family's specialties, I just... got distracted. I assume you... hm. Come to think of it, is House Nightcharm part of a particular faction here?"

"Our current commander and chief," The general spits upon mentioning him, "is back and wait for the Orcs to gather strength and push through us - bastard. Our best bet is to get an actual navy, sneak some troops up the coast via ship under cover of darkness. In your words 'go around the mess'. Then we flank and smash them. That should end their army and allow us to work on the fort at our leisure."

He shakes his head when asked about casters in the family. "My casters are unlikely to get involved for two reasons. First off, it is... lawless enough... that there is no law in Kiatown governing the practice of non-priestly magic, so the houses are free to apply the laws of their homeland on the matter as they see fit. Many Bellian Cities hand out automatic death sentences for it, so it would be easy for somebody to justify abducting or killing any mage who practices too openly. Secondly, my family is involved in the Mercedian Cause, and the current commander in Chief works for the Nexus. There are elements within my party that wants to delay any victory against the Orcs until one of our guys holds the position and can take the credit."

The General beams. "Hialarth promised to deal with the current guy, and get me the top job. Then those Orcs will be CRUSHED LIKE THE BUGS THEY ARE!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »

"Our current commander and chief," The general spits upon mentioning him, "is back and wait for the Orcs to gather strength and push through us - bastard. Our best bet is to get an actual navy, sneak some troops up the coast via ship under cover of darkness. In your words 'go around the mess'. Then we flank and smash them. That should end their army and allow us to work on the fort at our leisure."

He shakes his head when asked about casters in the family. "My casters are unlikely to get involved for two reasons. First off, it is... lawless enough... that there is no law in Kiatown governing the practice of non-priestly magic, so the houses are free to apply the laws of their homeland on the matter as they see fit. Many Bellian Cities hand out automatic death sentences for it, so it would be easy for somebody to justify abducting or killing any mage who practices too openly. Secondly, my family is involved in the Mercedian Cause, and the current commander in Chief works for the Nexus. There are elements within my party that wants to delay any victory against the Orcs until one of our guys holds the position and can take the credit."

The General beams. "Hialarth promised to deal with the current guy, and get me the top job. Then those Orcs will be CRUSHED LIKE THE BUGS THEY ARE!"
"Hm... not my specialty, but I suppose it'd be possible to help with the navy. Some sort of giant sea beast that could hold soldiers in its gullet, perhaps...

Have you considered just hiring some pirates as mercenaries? As I understand it their larger fleets are quite impressive."

A tinge of resolve came to his face as he thought about the lawlessness of the city. "I think this siege may be the lesser issue here, though. I think I'm going to work on this partisan infighting first... it's likely to be quicker and more significant than ending the siege." His expression shifted slightly, betraying the realization that he might regret saying that as soon as he had, though. "Well... the worst of it, anyway. I assume."

"Speaking of which... who or what will benefit when the siege ends? I'm not sure I like the sound of Hialarth's scheming, but I've largely decided to support the Mercedes, so I guess that would be a convenient switch if it's not too damaging."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:11 pm »

The general nods. "How do you intend to end it? Swoop in and declare one of us royalty? If so, I'd just skip the drama and give the crown to Hialarth, or one of her kids so that she can be regent. If she already holds highest power, she wont have much reason for scheming or poisoning.

Enough about politics though."
He says with a shrug, "its not my cup of tea. I suppose the Commander in Chief would come out smelling like a rose if the Orcs were beaten back, but beyond that, no clue. I wouldn't give a rats ass about this political mess if I didn't have kin involved."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 01, 2014, 04:17:51 am »

"Ah, Tulwor," he responded, his tone serious, "Unfortunate news. I learned much of the Orcs, as you requested, but there's been a complication. A few of the Orcs battle for some prophecy involving your sister; she's found an egg larger than she is, radiating power, though she agreed hatching it would be better than eating it. I assume that's involved, though I don't know any details yet."

He shrugged.

"Most of them, though, fight to determine whether Bellians or Orcs are better as a whole. That means a normal tournament won't work, because it tells them more about individuals than societies. To break the siege, we'd need our tournament to be between Bellians and Orcs, and to be excessively large.

Plus, there's the issue of size and strength. These Orcs are rather large, and I've yet to determine how Bellians fare against them in single combat. That was less of a concern when I envisioned a periodic tournament, since they wouldn't have to win every time, but if we hold a tournament and the Bellians lose, the Orcs may refuse to lift the barricade simply because they don't wish to."

'I suppose there is honor in fighting alongside those you can trust,' Tulwor said, with not too much conviction. 'What is 'excessively large'? Will not a few dozen men on each side suffice? If a dozen volunteered each time, we might as well let them fight periodically.'

He grunted. That seemed like unnecessary effort; he'd expected these Orcs to be more sporting than this.

'Well, bah! Perhaps we will need to meet them in honest battle, then, if they aim to be so difficult,' he said. 'Only I have no wish to be caught in some years-long back-and-forth war when there is so much to do. So! Do you have a plan, son of the Devourer?'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2014, 04:31:14 am »

The general nods. "How do you intend to end it? Swoop in and declare one of us royalty? If so, I'd just skip the drama and give the crown to Hialarth, or one of her kids so that she can be regent. If she already holds highest power, she wont have much reason for scheming or poisoning.

Enough about politics though."
He says with a shrug, "its not my cup of tea. I suppose the Commander in Chief would come out smelling like a rose if the Orcs were beaten back, but beyond that, no clue. I wouldn't give a rats ass about this political mess if I didn't have kin involved."
"Well, I... hrm... perhaps the other way round...

But no matter. Fair enough on the matter of politics; I merely became distracted by an issue I've been working on."

He tilted his head, smiling.

"But as long as I've got you, and provided I haven't tired you out too much already, might I ask the most basic of questions? What is dark magic and what does it do? How does it differ from elementalism?"

'I suppose there is honor in fighting alongside those you can trust,' Tulwor said, with not too much conviction. 'What is 'excessively large'? Will not a few dozen men on each side suffice? If a dozen volunteered each time, we might as well let them fight periodically.'

He grunted. That seemed like unnecessary effort; he'd expected these Orcs to be more sporting than this.

'Well, bah! Perhaps we will need to meet them in honest battle, then, if they aim to be so difficult,' he said. 'Only I have no wish to be caught in some years-long back-and-forth war when there is so much to do. So! Do you have a plan, son of the Devourer?'
Pyrite glanced between the general and the giant for a moment before nodding to himself.

"I do. Go to Selma's Gate, bribe some pirates to transport soldiers, fight themselves, or both. Their largest fleets are enormous, from what I've seen. Then some combination of pirate and soldier lands behind the Orcs at night, we seize them in a pincer movement, and the Orcish army is crushed and hopefully captured. I claim the prisoners for my own personal army, which I use to suppress factional infighting in Kiatown.

How we'll deal with the fort I'm less certain of, and no doubt some part of this plan will fail, collapse, catch on fire, and then scald me with sizzling grease at some point, but I'm rather sick of this situation. I feel like being reckless and messy."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:33 am »

"Ah yes...harpies. I've discovered that there is a whole siege of harpies blocking a possible ally from aiding us. I hear that you want to...consume more of them. Perhaps you'd be willing to help?"

Ketemos became increasingly uncomfortable as he noticed the blood dripping off her feathers and the mad look in her eyes.

Ketari smiled in crimson and laughed. "Consume? What do you think I was doing?" She grandly swung open her door and strode over to the injured harpy within.
"A siege is something that would have been interesting to know about, little meal..." she said cheerfully, and with an easy movement bit into the wounded wing, tearing a chunk of flesh and feathers free. She gulped it down and laughed again, a fell sound.
"I'll help, of course. Is there any questions you want to ask my meal? Would you like to try some?" She sank her fingers into the fresh bite, as if to tear some free for her guest. She ignored the harpy's pain as she cocked her head.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2014, 10:46:04 am »

"Well, I... hrm... perhaps the other way round...

But no matter. Fair enough on the matter of politics; I merely became distracted by an issue I've been working on."

He tilted his head, smiling.

"But as long as I've got you, and provided I haven't tired you out too much already, might I ask the most basic of questions? What is dark magic and what does it do? How does it differ from elementalism?"

"Elementalism," the general spits again, "is a Barbarian Magic, in that only Barbarians practice it. The ideal Bellian form, the divine excepted of course, has no inherent magic. A true Bellian then must draw power from elsewhere if he or she seeks to cast. Sorcerers, or Barbarian Mages, are Bellians, or members of the closesly related common Barbarian race, who have mutilated and mutated their own souls for power, but have left their bodies untouched. The most common Sorcerers are the elementalists of which you speak, but Sorcerers who warp their soul to be in tune with their will, their emotions, the heavenly bodies, various beasts, and even the basic forces of the universe itself are not unheard of. Sorcerers, by law, are Barbarians; They are only allowed on Bellian lands as slaves, as corpses, or as invited guests of some god or king."

The general begins digging through his pouch again. "Most Bellians who cast are priests... of some sort or another; They take advantage of a framework set up by some god who wants powerful followers, but doesn't want to take the time and effort to empower each notable follower individual. These frameworks, however, can outlive the being that made them; At which point they can be exploited by any mortal or group of mortals who can figure out how to power and control them, and the mortals who do so are the Dark Mages."

Fishing his small book back from the pouch, the general begins leafing through the pages. "Before Agrippa came along, 'Dark' was used to describe our magic as one would describe a bar or restaurant after closing time, but the Vampire is a very skilled Framework Manager; She has set it up so that the blood drawn by her brood feeds the abandoned frameworks that support Necromancers, Nerve Mages, and Shadow Mages. Because of this... mages in those three schools no longer have to make offerings to power the framework themselves, and as a result the overwhelming majority of Dark Mages practice some combination of the three. Beyond that you still see some pirates practicing the Brine Hexes, and many elemental sorcerers practice Smoke Magic, which is very similar in effect to the Barbarian Magic of Flame, so that they may double down on elements. There are, in fact, over thirty abandoned frameworks I know of, but most of the rest are redundant with the Priesthood of an Active God, or too costly or complicated to be practical for mortal use."

Finding the page he was looking for, the General opens the palm not occupied with the book, and loudly recites "Laudo azure friprist shadinver!" Nothing happens. "Sorry 'bout that. I'm garbage at casting myself. Much of it is in pronunciation and emotional control, neither of which I excel at... I think I forgot to roll the 'r' sound... *ahem* Laudo azurrrre frrriprrrist shadinverrrr!"

A ball of dark blue flame erupts in the man's hand, and promptly begins to cast coolness and shadow as opposed to light and head. The mortal lets the flame linger for a few seconds, before clenching his fist to banish it.

Ketari smiled in crimson and laughed. "Consume? What do you think I was doing?" She grandly swung open her door and strode over to the injured harpy within.
"A siege is something that would have been interesting to know about, little meal..." she said cheerfully, and with an easy movement bit into the wounded wing, tearing a chunk of flesh and feathers free. She gulped it down and laughed again, a fell sound.
"I'll help, of course. Is there any questions you want to ask my meal? Would you like to try some?" She sank her fingers into the fresh bite, as if to tear some free for her guest. She ignored the harpy's pain as she cocked her head.

"I SAID SOME OF US LIVE IN FORTS!" the Harpy howls in agony, "what else is a fort good for?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2014, 11:42:45 am »

Ketari snarled. "If there is a siege there is war! Who are you warring against? Do you gods take the field? How does the war go?" She slammed the harpy against the wall, then brought her face millimetres away, her irridscent eyes wide open.
"Tell me anything and everything, you wretched little morsel! The secrets of your gods! The strengths of your people! I will know all, or your sister's sufferign will seem paradise compared to your consumption!"

The hunger howled in her. She'd forgotten about her guest completely, as her teeth ripped away more meat.

Get information on the harpy gods, their opponents, and leading harpy figures - any important information about the harpies. For every hesitation, bout of begging, whatever, take a bite.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »

Ketemos had expected some form of carcass in her room but a dismembered living harpy?

Ketemos waved away at Ketari's offer. "I'd rather not."

Turning to the harpy itself, Ketemos could not help but feel sympathy, seeing the pain in its nearly human eyes. Regardless, he watched as Ketari continued with her interrogation, interjecting only when she inquired about who the harpies warred against.

"They war against Chimeras Ketari...But why? Tell me harpy, why?"
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 07:11:11 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2014, 10:58:52 pm »

"Elementalism," the general spits again, "is a Barbarian Magic, in that only Barbarians practice it. The ideal Bellian form, the divine excepted of course, has no inherent magic. A true Bellian then must draw power from elsewhere if he or she seeks to cast. Sorcerers, or Barbarian Mages, are Bellians, or members of the closesly related common Barbarian race, who have mutilated and mutated their own souls for power, but have left their bodies untouched. The most common Sorcerers are the elementalists of which you speak, but Sorcerers who warp their soul to be in tune with their will, their emotions, the heavenly bodies, various beasts, and even the basic forces of the universe itself are not unheard of. Sorcerers, by law, are Barbarians; They are only allowed on Bellian lands as slaves, as corpses, or as invited guests of some god or king."

The general begins digging through his pouch again. "Most Bellians who cast are priests... of some sort or another; They take advantage of a framework set up by some god who wants powerful followers, but doesn't want to take the time and effort to empower each notable follower individual. These frameworks, however, can outlive the being that made them; At which point they can be exploited by any mortal or group of mortals who can figure out how to power and control them, and the mortals who do so are the Dark Mages."

Fishing his small book back from the pouch, the general begins leafing through the pages. "Before Agrippa came along, 'Dark' was used to describe our magic as one would describe a bar or restaurant after closing time, but the Vampire is a very skilled Framework Manager; She has set it up so that the blood drawn by her brood feeds the abandoned frameworks that support Necromancers, Nerve Mages, and Shadow Mages. Because of this... mages in those three schools no longer have to make offerings to power the framework themselves, and as a result the overwhelming majority of Dark Mages practice some combination of the three. Beyond that you still see some pirates practicing the Brine Hexes, and many elemental sorcerers practice Smoke Magic, which is very similar in effect to the Barbarian Magic of Flame, so that they may double down on elements. There are, in fact, over thirty abandoned frameworks I know of, but most of the rest are redundant with the Priesthood of an Active God, or too costly or complicated to be practical for mortal use."

Finding the page he was looking for, the General opens the palm not occupied with the book, and loudly recites "Laudo azure friprist shadinver!" Nothing happens. "Sorry 'bout that. I'm garbage at casting myself. Much of it is in pronunciation and emotional control, neither of which I excel at... I think I forgot to roll the 'r' sound... *ahem* Laudo azurrrre frrriprrrist shadinverrrr!"

A ball of dark blue flame erupts in the man's hand, and promptly begins to cast coolness and shadow as opposed to light and head. The mortal lets the flame linger for a few seconds, before clenching his fist to banish it.
Pyrite frowned in contemplation. Mutating the soul sounded fascinating, but he wondered what the side effects were, if any. Dark Magic, on the other hand...

"Hrm. So it's just a crutch... or, well, a tool, I suppose." He worked his jaw for a moment before shrugging. "Fair enough, I guess. How difficult are these frameworks to create in the first place?

And that of course brings me to my next question: Just what is a vampire, and how is it created using Dark Magics?"

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 02, 2014, 01:46:00 pm »

Emerging from his study, Ketemos sighed and walked up to the entrance of his library to find Auratus fuming about one thing or another.

"Yes, Auratus?"

" Ah! " The dragon exclaimed, donning his most fake smile, but not missing the opportunity to glare daggers at the god who had just emerged – and over all not really trying to hide his quite apparent anger. " There you are! "

Swiftly closing the distance between themselves, he stopped short of Ketemos personal space, before unleashing his irate spiel. " Just when I thought there might be hope for mutual beneficial workings between us, you go ahead and ruin it just days later. " Narrowing his eyes, the smile all but vanished. " Stealing away a prayer that so very obviously falls into my sphere of worship... did we have a good laugh? " By now more hissing than speaking, he inched his mawed face closer to that of the gods. " Did we? "

After clicking his tongue in annoyance, he backed off half a step, continuing in far higher volume than would be needed to bridge what little distance there was between them. " I guess it was foolish of me to expect better, you being the filthy god-spawn you are... " Extending his right claw, he intended on forcibly locking the gods eyes on his by grabbing the laters chin. " But do not think that one crosses my plans lightly. Have it your way then! "

Having said what he wanted to say, Auratus made ready to leave the room, not all that intent on listening to the mockery that the god may have in store for him. He, for his part, had received the underlying message clearly - if even the presumably most level-headed of the gods was to act in such ways, then he could only expect worse from the rest of the lot. Ah, what loathsome creatures these gods were, how loathsome indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39