Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51817 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

The dragon smiled weakly at Rooks distress over the flags, and actually considered to intervene, lest it became mockery. Then again, the gargoyle really should have no problems with solving such a mundane problem himself. Most of the remaining conversation, the dragon spent in contemplation. Meltip really did sound a lot better than this Wild Red, but at the mention of his armour, he perked up.

" Unstable, is it? He just up and went to attack the single most important trading partner of Selma's Gate? While it is true that Kiatown would try to bring their politics into this place once they settled on a direction themselves, I do have an obligation towards my followers that live in there. Needless to say, I would have some objections should he want to repeat such an action, and I dare say that I won't be the only god that would object to it. Certainly Meltip would make a better leader for this city, but as that barbarian shouldn't try such foolishness twice, I think we can stay our hand in that matter. Still, that macabre armour of his does interest me... It might be worth it if you were to further look into this matter. " He had not expected much common sense from these pirates, but that was beyond what he had imagined.

" Now then, I think it is about time that we talk about the important topic at hand. " Letting his sentence pan out, a smile stole itself onto his face. " The matter of accepting the worship of gargoylekind in general. The task that I am about to offer you, is also an offer in and off itself, as you will surely see. " He cleared his throat before continuing in a serious tone. " As is known, I am a created being, born from smithing together this Scarlet Mirror, and a plethora of other, not much lesser materials. Now, I always will be more defined by being a dragon, than the circumstances that gave way to my existence, but you gargoyles are also created beings, maybe even in a process that is akin to mine. " Staring at the same intensely, he made for a small pause. " If this were to be the truth, I would not be loathe to say so. I am sure you will realize what meaning that would have to your kin..."

As the dragons voice and demeanour grew more fierce, it was a good thing that those who were sent away kept ample distance from them. Not that it would have been all that bad if someone would be able to hear it, but then again not everyone needed to know about this specific dealing. " Bring me the knowledge of your creation, and you stand to gain far more than simply another god to worship! The bellians could no longer simply consider you abominations, or treat you like the outcasts that you are today! Just like them, the so-called barbarians, or even the orcs and harpies, you would have a god that shares true kinship with you! Yours would be a god that is as close as you can ever hope to gain, unless one of you were to lay claim to godhood himself! "

Auratus lowered himself to the eye-level of the stony humanoid, and urgingly placed a hand on the same ones shoulder. " Now tell me, are you prepared to undertake this task, or do you have any grievances with it? "

When you ask him to look into Wild Red's armor, Rook nods. "I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to him. What about the armor do you wish for me to find out?"

The Gargoyle listens silently as you lay his task out before him. "I am unprepared, but have no grievances. The secret you seek is not something I can merely sail off and return with in a few months. Those in charge of our procreation protect the methods dearly, as they are the basis of the power with which they rule. I strongly doubt I would be given the information if I just showed up and asked, even on the behalf of a god."

He looks into the eyes of his new deity, and takes a knee to lower himself beneath them. "I will need then either the raw power, or a clever scheme, to simply take what you want. Either way, I doubt it can be done with the resources I presently have available. I didn't expect, however, the task to earn my race a new god to be a quick or easy one. If I am granted time to gather strength, and opportunity to earn boons from my new master, I assure you that what you ask can be done."

Tulwor enjoyed the lingering taste of the wine. It was quite different from the usual flavors back home. He couldn't quite say if it was better, but it was certainly refreshingly different. 'A taste to rival the finest wines of Mear,' he said, somewhat disappointed at how little there'd been.

'As for the crew; I have been among the people of this city and lit the fires in their hearts. I expect them to come flocking to you now. She'll be easy to handle, regardless, even by landmen. Is there anything more on your mind, mortal? She is called Corusu's Wing, and I will bring her to you when you are ready.'

"I'm glad you find it pleasing. If my adventures find me in town come the month of Autumnwrath, I should have a tropical wine that I've been aging for three years ready 'round then. If you want to show up, lord, we can make it a proper feast!"

He then smiles, and opens the back gate leading from his garden to a small walled in path that connects to the main road. "Aye, let us head to port and see the ship!"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »

'A feast would be pleasing indeed,' Tulwor said, getting up. 'Perhaps you'll have returned with the wealth of these shores by then, eh?'

Get the ship for Malcome, bid farewell and return home if there are no complications.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »

'A feast would be pleasing indeed,' Tulwor said, getting up. 'Perhaps you'll have returned with the wealth of these shores by then, eh?'

Get the ship for Malcome, bid farewell and return home if there are no complications.

You lead Malcome to the ship, and he is quite thrilled by it. A few days later you feel a surge of prayer energy, indicating that his personel issues have also been taken care of.

+New Actor: Corusu's Wing
+1 Prayer Energy!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »

Pyrite pondered Corusu's response to the Orcs. Perhaps he just saw them as pawns, and therefore not worthy of scorn? But Veilia was just the maid, and she hadn't wanted to be near him either... perhaps because she was connected to him? Curious... or... perhaps he was enraged at the conditions of his servitude, and hated everyone he was bound to assist? That might make sense; the Orcs might not qualify because he'd be in the same spot with or without them. Technically that didn't let Auratus off the hook, but maybe he got a pass for being kin.

Malice left over from the war between dragons and gods did occur to him, but seemed too ancient and broad to be true. And besides, if he were angry over that, this might be an ideal chance to rebuild; instead he did this. He couldn't comprehend that is was something like that.

Pyrite was decidedly concerned when Unrest fainted. The Orcess had seemed rather resigned to whatever fate her betters decided for her; most likely this was her witnessing the death of her race or doom of her gods or somesuch. He sighed and rubbed his head, adding another vital thing to his pile of crucially vital things. Stop Bellian infighting, establish himself as a proper god, break the current hostilities with the Orcs... and now prevent some manner of prophecized catastrophe involving Ketari being Ketari.

He let out an unhappy moan as he dragged Unrest someplace safe and out of the way to recover. Being a god was hard.

He offers you a smile, and a request. "Hey, no problem. Can you write me a note for my boss before we leave though? I could land in deep trouble if I don't show up for the job tonight. I'm fairly sure being scooped up by the divine is a passable excuse..."
"Certainly. Let's see..."

He materialized some manner of parchment- maybe Bellian hide, to suggest its authenticity- quill, and ink to write on, or requested as much if that was too difficult without a proper expenditure of divine energy. Then he tried to think of what to say, and found himself a little lost. What was the procedure for this...?

Oh well. A stronger thing cordially informing a weaker thing of an incident should be fine.

Quote from: Note to Oliver's Boss
Oliver's Boss- Pyrite, God of Improvement, has taken interest in your minion and requires his presence elsewhere. He will be unable to fulfill tonight's contract, and may remain unavailable for a few months after.

His family has been taken with him.

"We can leave this with him on our way out."

Once Unrest was safely stowed, Pyrite felt the need to address the... root of the issue.

"Ketari?" he called, looking around for the winged goddess. "I need to speak with you about something important..."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »

Ketari had been eating. The smallest, youngest harpy had been stripped down to little more than bones and scraps of flesh by now, and no doubt the others had heard it's screams. It's death had not been quick or easy - Ketari had savoured every bite of the squirming creature.

It had been the best meal she'd ever had - the blend of bird and sentience had made it a heady mix of flavour. The way it had screeched at the feel of her teeth... she almost went for another. The chicks had been locked in some of the cages grown from her walls, and the grown ones had been trapped in some cellar, pinned by the weight of most of the Barker pack. A few others lay resting, clustered in the sunlight through the window-door. The pachyderm was in the corner, munching on the greenery she'd brought it. A strange creature. She wasn't sure what is was, and nature goddess or not, her grasp of animal life was patchy.

Idly, Ketari picked at a broken claw for scraps of meat. She hadn't asked for secrets from this one, but she would for the next, she thought, though doubtless she'd eat it anyway. Red dripped from her hands - feathers stuck to the mix of blood and shredded flesh that clung to her fingers. She suddenly shuddered with the joy of finally devouring one of the harpies - she dreamily though about the taste of a harpy-god when she noticed someone at the chamber door. Pyrite, was it? She hadn't, in truth, paid much attention when Rexxis had told her of her company, too consumed was she with thoughts of the winged women. Thoughts of her prey.

"Ah... Pyrite, wasn't it? Come in. Harpy meat is divine. Try some, yes?"

She held up a gristly morsel and grinned redly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:02 pm »

Pyrite's stomach grumbled. He'd been looking forward to sampling harpy flesh, though he hadn't known in which ways he'd most enjoy it. Now was a good time to test eating them, he supposed.

"Oh, thank you," he said, entering and taking her offered meal. He wasn't a particularly quiet eater, enthusiastically stripping what little flesh remained with his needle-teeth.

"Fascinating..." he said as he ate, remembering what Oinkiny had said about a cross between Bellian and poultry. He glanced at the terrified chicks caged in the walls. "I'll have to find one of my own to study in more detail."

He nearly asked about the green elephant with a suspicious odor before remembering why he came.

"Ah! Yes, I came to warn you about something. Eh... well, actually I came to warn you about... something that might affect us all." He blinked a few times, trying to puzzle out the exact situation. It'd seemed obvious that they had a problem, but now that he was here and reminded of what she was... well, asking a huntress not to hunt was no small thing, even if it did create trouble elsewhere.

"The Orcs have a prophecy about you. I haven't been able to track it down in full, but it involves one of our gods also being birds, and doing something to harm other birds. That seems simple enough.

What I don't know is what exactly you'll do or why that's an issue, but it's one of the reasons the Orcs are making war on Kiatown. I brought some Orc slaves in, and the one who had heard half of it panicked and fainted on being told we have a bird god after all. I think it's something very serious."

He looked at her solemnly, acutely aware of the delicate balance here between doing what one wished and avoiding unprecedented disaster.

"I would never ask you not to hunt were it not important, and I realize some things may only be delayed, not avoided. But until we know more of this prophecy, might you attempt to avoid anything too damaging or dangerous? I can't imagine devouring common harpies would be of concern, but should you chance upon something vital, might you consider restraining yourself for the sake of the island?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2014, 05:37:50 pm »

"A prophecy? Words, words." She turned and washed her hands and face in the trickling stream, hissing at the cold of the water that ran red gullies across the smooth stones. She recalled empty, broken cages, and her mother's anger. Fletchtania had learned not to keep her hunting hawks in the same building as her ever-hungry daughter, locked cage or no.
"I am one of the moment, yes? I can try. But in the heat of moments, the thralls of hunger... I forget these things. But I will devour these bird gods, Pyrite. I must. Ah, my flesh calls for theirs - ah, yes! Have you seen my new pets?"With a clap, a barker slinked over to her, and offered a head for her to run a hand through the shaggy moss. Upon being ruffled the creature creaked like stressed oak, presumably enjoying the feeling. Ketari giggled.
"You know little of this prophecy, yes? On this island, danger lurks all around. Learn more on this, and I'll try to keep it in mind. Not much more I can promise, no? Though I do have already one of their eggs. A big one. Much power in it. Maybe even a harpy-gods'." She smiled her savage smile. "Maybe breakfast."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2014, 06:06:26 pm »

Pyrite nodded in understanding at her hunger, gazed with fascination at her pets, and went wide-eyed in alarm at her mention of eggs.

"...I understand, and trying is all I can ask. I realize you cannot keep yourself bound forever, and I will indeed learn more of this prophecy, so you know what I would prefer you avoid and why.

...may I see this egg, though? It may be a shame to devour it..."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »

Patches

Ketemos put two and two together.

"And I guess you would be responsible for the business with the disappearing bodies? Not that I have any problems with it personally, just a point of curiosity."

After receiving an answer, Ketemos put forward another question.

"You say that you are a goddess of Kiatown. What do you mean by that?"

Faction Speakers

Ketemos sighed. "Its not that I want worship it simply because the system simply requires prayers as a power source; I've not heard of any way creating the Gates without divine essence. Trust me when I say that if I could, I would make these Gates completely free..."

A thought came to him. "What if prayers from gods already worshiped by your members were rerouted to the Nexus. Of course, I would need to get permission first but its a start..."

Mikkia

Ketemos looked embarrassed but put on a smile.

"Well I never claimed to be omniscient. Which also explains the question I'm going to ask. Who are you Mikkia? I answered your prayer because I thought it deserved an answer but I still don't know the full story. Tell me, why you're here on the Isle rather back on the mainland. Surely this place isn't a centre of the arts...or at least not yet."

---
Ketemos did not reply to Vincent's answer, despite his desire to debate it; such a question could only be answered by hearing a thousand wrong and half-wrong ones.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:53:01 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »

Patches

Ketemos put two and two together.

"And I guess you would be responsible for the business with the disappearing bodies? Not that I have any problems with it personally, just a point of curiosity."

After receiving an answer, Ketemos put forward another question.

"You say that you are a goddess of Kiatown. What do you mean by that?"

Faction Speakers

Ketemos sighed. "Its not that I want worship it simply because the system simply requires prayers as a power source; I've not heard of any way creating the Gates without divine essence. Trust me when I say that if I could, I would make these Gates completely free..."

A thought came to him. "What if prayers from gods already worshiped by your members were rerouted to the Nexus. Of course, I would need to get permission first but its a start..."

Mikkia

Ketemos looked embarrassed but put on a smile.

"Well I never claimed to be omniscient. Which also explains the question I'm going to ask. Who are you Mikkia? I answered your prayer because I thought it deserved an answer but I still don't know the full story. Tell me, why you're here on the Isle rather back on the mainland. Surely this place isn't a centre of the arts...or at least not yet."

---
Ketemos did not reply to Vincent's answer, despite his desire to debate it; such a question could only be answered by hearing a thousand wrong and half-wrong ones.

Patches offers a shy smile. "Guilty as charged on the corpses. I'm not out there tearing the catacombs apart myself, but I have people do it for me. I dwell and operate at my secret fleshworks beneath the docks district, where I make new life from old parts."

The Goddess pauses for a second when you bring up Kiatown. "Rest assured, I'm not going to actively court your followers, or any Bellian worship for that matter. The Chimera have mastered the art of moving bits from one creature to another, including the bits that remember and think. Therefore, we don't idealize the existance of individual life; We are made from parts to serve some purpose or another, and once that purpose is complete we are broken back down into parts. This goes for our divine as well; My title is not more than a rather broad thesis for my existance, not a claim of Dominion of any given place or concept."

---

"That may take awhile..." The princess muses as you mention allowing worship of other Bellian Gods, "Far too many of us are still holding onto the old Pantheon while we watch to see who will shine in the new one. You'd have to bug Rexxis and friends back home for that sort of permission."

---

"I came to this island when I was eight, before I knew what I wanted out of life," the poet explains, "my father exported chickens and feed wholesale to the early settlers, and offered my betrothal to the son of a local contact as a means to close an important deal. By the time I decided to write, I was stuck here..."

She grins. "The question you should be asking then, is how did I get into the arts? The answer is simple, but it dosn't reflect all that well on me. Four years ago, I was disloyal to my husband, and I felt guilty about it. To gain absolution, I spent some time serving Unia's clergy, and at one point I was tasked to write a sermon for them because the priests were busy. It clicked right away, and decided that very day that I wanted to make a name for myself writing and speaking."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2014, 05:41:29 am »

It had been stored in another of the endless rooms of Newbellum castle, a half-dozen Barkers sprawled disinterestedly around it. Ketari, never having laid an egg, was unsure what to do with it, but she had the notion eggs had to be warm, and the room was heavy with heat. The power inside seemed to match the warmth of the room - thick and almost choking in the bare-stoned chamber.

"Here it is."

She ran a hand down the smooth side and felt the life within.

-----

Ketari had neatly stacked the bones of the eaten harpy warrior in the corner of the room, the skull grinning in the shadows. She had the next harpy brought in.
"Hello, little winged one. I am Ketari, the Eater of Birds, but I am also a listener of secrets. Tell me, what do you know of your goddesses?" She grinned. "Unless, of course, you do not wish to talk. Then I can consume you liek the first. Ah, she squealed delightfully at each bite, yes?"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:45:59 pm by GiglameshDespair »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »

Pyrite stared at the egg in wonder for a few moments.

"Where... did you even find this?" he asked, trying to puzzle out what kind of guardians there should have been for something so powerful. "This could fairly easily involve the prophecy, don't you think?"

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2014, 04:17:54 pm »

When you ask him to look into Wild Red's armor, Rook nods. "I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to him. What about the armor do you wish for me to find out?"

Asking for the information? No, that won't do. If what the dragon thought possible should have an inkling of truth, chances were that Wild Red was not likely to give out the truth that easily. Nor, on account of that odd chance, the armour itself. " I am more interested about what others have to say about his conduct while wearing that armour, than what he would give away about it. There just might be more to the whole matter than a mortal easily can deduce. To name my suspicion, it might not be him who is a bit strange, but his armour instead. " He shrugged. It truly might not be more than his imagination, but if not, there were certain possibilities that he would be loathe to ignore. " Try to be subtle about it if you can, but if that fails and he should get wind of it, feel free to tell him the truth about the matter. "

He looks into the eyes of his new deity, and takes a knee to lower himself beneath them. "I will need then either the raw power, or a clever scheme, to simply take what you want. Either way, I doubt it can be done with the resources I presently have available. I didn't expect, however, the task to earn my race a new god to be a quick or easy one. If I am granted time to gather strength, and opportunity to earn boons from my new master, I assure you that what you ask can be done."

Actually, Auratus was a bit delighted by Rooks answer. For all he knew about gargoyles, leaking the secret of their creation might have been some sort of taboo or sacrilege. Since the pirate before him seemingly had no such qualms about the whole matter, that did not seem to be the case. He actually had not thought that much about what he would have them do instead, but as it was now a moot point, there was no reason to dwell on it either. Instead he nodded at the gargoyle, and spoke out;

" I will leave the matter to your devices, but remind yourself that, if successful, it will be an endeavour which will be retold by your kin for a long time afterwards. " He smiled wrily.  " If you resort to blunt violence, some of the gargoyles might curse your name for centuries to come. " More importantly, needless killings could also deter many of them coming to appreciate this new god of theirs. Heavy-handed would be fine, but Auratus decided to not bother further with this far off matter for now.

" Well, before long, you should have ample chances to prove yourself. While soon enough sailing under my flag should become a boon in itself when docking in Selma's Gate, I am unsure if the current situation will easily allow me to strengthen your fleet before you depart – which you may do as it pleases you, lest your extended stay here continues to weakens you. Else, should you desire favours from me, they can easily be arranged with continued loyalty, gifts of wealth, artefacts and the retrieval of draconic remains from wretched hands. As for conduct, I am sure you will be pleased that in contrast to many of the gods, I won't force any unreasonable conditions on you. Just don't bring harm upon others that further my cause, those which I benefit from, don't bring shame unto my name, and try not to stir up unnecessary trouble for me. I have no doubts that this much is within your capabilities. "

After hearing his newest follower out, Auratus would take another round of his shrine before continuing to Kiatown – the hollowed grounds were not much yet, true, but it was more than the other gods were likely to gain in short time. A pleasant state of affairs indeed.

~

After finishing up with the pirates, you instruct chell to take you to Kiatown, where you are met with failure and slight humiliation.

You publicly announce that Haze is a sinner, demand that he be brought forward to face penance, and inquire as to the location of his ship. To your dismay, you learn that The Cartel has already left port, having just set sail with a hold full of tropical fruit preserves bound for the Island City of Corusu's Eye yesterday.

Furthermore, you learn that Haze himself is out of town; In fact, he is at Newbellum castle, attending Ketemos' meeting of the learned. Several of the mortals present have the stones to chuckle about the inconsistency of the will of the gods, right in front of you.

Having heard the state of affairs, and having silenced any who dared to be amused by it with a deep frown and fiery glare, Auratus made back for the docks. He indignantly waited for Chell to re-appear, the girl most likely yet to reach the castle before being called again.

It would seem he had to question Ketemos' actions on his return, and the fuming dragon was not about to exchange pleasantries while doing so. Telens son better had a convincing reason for wasting his time, especially in such an unsightly manner.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:31 pm »

"My new little pets brought it back for me. i don't know where they found it. Their minds are primitive things. They are plants after all, yes?"
She thought a second and added "Maybe you should ask the green-skin more of this prophecy? Might be important. When I devour the Harpies, I will get their secrets, and I'm sure they should have some legend to match."
She laughed.
"Ah, this island is fun, fun! When I eat their gods, it will be glorious!"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:31 pm »

"Mm, I suppose they are," Pyrite responded, nodding thoughtfully. Curious creatures... he'd have to bear their lessons in mind.

He shrugged at her mention of the green-skin. "I fear she doesn't know the whole prophecy. She ceased paying attention when she heard about the Bellian bird-god, thinking surely a bird-god would be of the Harpies. I may have to go to an Orcish village to learn the rest...

Speaking of which, would you mind sharing with me what the Harpies have to say when you interrogate them? I'm curious about them as well.

As for the Harpy gods... yes, I'm sure it will be, but please try not to make too much of a mess for the rest of us, at least not yet. In particular, it'd be a shame if you ate the egg just yet. I get the feeling it could have far better uses than eating."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39