Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51606 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:48 pm »

Horror gave way to anger on Ketari's face.
"...they worship the birds? They worship the harpies, fit only for devouring? " She hissed with rage at the notion. Ketari had always been wild and rapid in emotions and moods, and the thought of people worshipping bird-gods enraged her.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:28 pm »

Pyrite sat there in wonder, trying to digest all of this new information.

"You certainly seem to know the right questions," he mumbled to Ketemos, idly massaging a temple. Chimaeric gods, orcish diplomacy, harpy secrets... there was far more for him to do here than he'd ever imagined, and he was less sure than ever of where to start.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 02:25:51 am »

Ketemos had a rare chuckle as he heard his brother's comment.

"I like to know as much as I can about an area before I get there Pyrite" Ketemos said with an oddly playful tone...or as close as playful Ketemos could sound as anyway.

Returning to his ever-neutral demeanour, he attempted to dissuade Ketari from acting...irrationally.

"The best way to kill a bird is when its wings are cut and its nest shattered, is that not correct? Wait for that moment and you can devour as many harpies as you wish...but please don't do so until then."

Turning away from the goddess, Ketemos nodded to the smith. "I...see. That makes things difficult. Regardless, this information will be useful."

All this information would be, especially about the Populi.

((EDIT: Had a much bigger post but the page refreshed so just put up a shortened version))
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:36:31 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 08:42:04 pm »

Turn 0: Welcome to the Island of Plenty...

Year 764, Month of:

Korroarfall
Rexxisreign
Bellia
Autumnjoy
Kia
Valor
Clammor
Alvin
Abbey
Mortus
Autumnwrath
Glaciana

---

All the Young Gods:

A mass of bleak black clouds erupts onto the horizon, and shortly after a series of small islands rise behind it. As you approach, it becomes clear that a larger landmass sits beyond the smaller ones. Mortus brings his boat to a stop at the edge of the storm.

"This is where ta gods be getting off, so I can bring the Heralds to their hometowns..." Mortus muses, "Now where is dat bastard... He said 'ed take ya the rest of the way."

Several minutes pass in a near silent suspence, with the only sounds being the raging storm and Canvas' humming. Then a third sound, a soft whir, arises and begins to grow louder. The whir climbs in decibles, until it is at least as loud as the storm, and somewhat shockingly it is the mortal Messel who spots the source first.

"Is that... Helicopter?" He asks, pointing with an expression of pure awe on his face.

Helicopter it was, the legendary flying machine of the God Clammor, which sliced through the sky on Mithril Blades and spewed bolts at its foes as a dragon would fire, approached and hoovered directly above the Galley. A strong ladder is lowered, and after bidding farewell to Mortus and the Heralds, you all climb on. Clammor, one of Rexxis' most loyal servants, and the greatest Artisan known to creation, awaits on board.

"GREETINGS!" He booms merrily, "AND WELCOME TO THE ISLAND OF PLENTY! I have been hard at work in anticipation of your arrival, so why don't I show you what I HAVE MADE!"

The armored armorer navigates his craft closer to the small islands. Five of them are arranged in a ring, with a sixth in the center, over which seems to be the eye of the small but intense storm. On the center island is a gray nondescript castle. "THESE ARE THE DOMIAN ISLANDS! I RAISED EM MYSELF, and endowed them with boons given to me by our kin. They are for you to improve and develop as you see fit, BUT BE WARNED, for each of the outer islands provides enchanted protection for your castle on the center. That protection will be lost if the island is defiled by mortal hands, which will happen if a mortal so much as plants a flag or breaks ground for a project without one of your blessings."

Clammor lowers his craft, and eventually lands it on the castle wall. "THIS IS NEWBELLUM CASTLE, and it is your home now. I didn't know much of your stylistic preferences, so I left it bland on the outside, and mostly empty within. Feel free to remedy that as you see fit. THE CASTLE AND SOROUNDING ISLANDS ARE BLESSED SO THAT THEY WILL YIELD TO YOUR WILL WITH SOME EASE!"

It is hard to read Clammor through his helmet, but it is pretty clear that he is pleased with himself. "I DID PUT IN A FEW THINGS THAT I'D ADVISE YOU NOT TO MESS WITH! Come on... lets go take a look!"

You are all first lead to a giant statue of Rexxis, holding a giant glass orb. "THIS IS THE PRAYER GLASS! On it will be displayed the prayers of mortals, adressed to no god in particular, made at the temple in Kiatown. Of course, you are also free to spend a bit of divine energy, and meditate for a bit, if you wish to search out prayers from settlements without temples, or find some prayers addressed directly to you. In the long run, it might be wise to get mortals to build you all individual temples, and have each of you aquire their own means of easily collecting personal prayers... Also it is worth noting that you can also answer prayers and gain energy by convincing a mortal that his or her actions or desires are sinful, and getting them to ask forgiveness. You don't have to give them what they ask."

Next you are lead to a large adamantine vault door in the basement. "THIS IS THE MIRACLE BANK! It stores divine energy collected from temples to the Bellian Gods! If any of you lay hands on the Adamantine, you will be drained of any remaining divine energy you have, this is both to prevent theft, and to allow you to donate to the stores should any of you have divine energy that you would rather not let go to waste. Energy will be contributed in your name, if a temple is built to you in a place where you have many supporters."

Clammor leads you upstairs in a hurry to a room containing what appears to be a replica of Rexxis' Emerald Throne. On closer inspection it appears to be made of lesser Jade. "THIS IS THE JADE THRONE! SOMEDAY, SOMEHOW, ONE OF YOU WILL PROVE YOURSELF WORTHY OF IT AND BECOME LORD! The lord has free access to all the energy stored in the MIRACLE BANK, and may use as much of it as he or she wishes while sitting on the throne. Should you feel the urgent need to tap the Miracle Bank, a temporary Lord may be elected and burdened with terms and limitations. Voting for a temporary Lord is to be weighted, so those who contribute to the Miracle Bank have a greater say."

The last place you are lead to visit is a room with walls of blue-white metal and an open ceiling. "THIS IS A MOON CHAMBER! MEDITATE HERE DURING THE CRESENT MOON AT THE START OF THE MONTH, AND YOU WILL HAVE NO TROUBLE CONSUMING PRAYER ENERGY AND GROWING STRONGER! Of course, there are plenty of uses for prayer energy, and plenty of ways to grow stronger, that do not require a place such as this..."

Clammor explains that you must remain in the castle, and rest for several weeks, so that its amenities and protections become attuned to your bodies and spirits. In the meantime, he offers to decorate your personal chambers however you see fit

Mortus arrives several days later, and lingers briefly. He declares that the Heralds have all been safely dropped off, and that they are doing their jobs admirably. By the time you will be ready to act, the Bellians of the Island of Plenty will know the names and parentage of each of their new guardians, and Mortus strongly suspects that that information alone will be enough for some to begin worship.

The Vulture-Faced admiral has also produced a scouting report on the armies and fleets of the area, which he assures you all is fairly accurate, if incomplete. There are likely partisan forces and mercenary bands around that avoided his detection by being too small or well concealed, and that says nothing about any Heroes or Monsters that may be around.

After spending several days in the castle, Mortus takes his leave. He promises to return every third month, with his next visit occurring in late Clammor, to collect the dead and dying, bring messages to and from your kin on the mainland, and help plan and execute any naval campaigns you might dream up.

"Remember, I am but yer humble Admiral and Ferryman, so long as ya all at least make a marginal effort ta remain in Rexxis' good graces!" He shouts from the Galley as he sails out of sight.

As you acclimate to the castle, you begin to get to know its other residents. With one exception, none of them are in your league in terms of strength, but the main members of the castle staff are all at least more powerful than the average mortal, and possess interesting personalities to boot.

Most frightening of the castle's denizens is Corusu, the Storm Dragon of old. Glaciana takes pride in sending the defeated dragon lords to do her bidding. Although Korrar, who has become one of the Ice Queen's chief suitors in the many years since his death, will carry out her orders willingly, Glaciana takes great pleasure in enslaving the others with powerful binding magic.

Clammor assures you that Corusu is incapable of any action save self defense, defense of the castle, eating when fed, excreting said food, and conjuring up the mighty storm of wind and waves which discourages mortals of all stripes from attempting to visit the Domain Islands. These assurances take most of the sting from the Dragon's harsh words; He has nothing but insults and and threats for anybody who visits his lookout, anybody, that is, except  Auratus, who he regards with silent calculation.

The castle chef is a pig-like creature who stands and speaks as a man would. He introduces himself as Oinkiny, which is a name that some among you recognize as belonging to the former Barbarian God of Feasts and Gluttony, who was defeated by Valor in a terribly lopsided battle and stripped of godhood. When pressed, the chef admits that he is indeed such a former deity, and that Rexxis had offered to consider giving his power back, and perhaps even a spot in the Bellian Pantheon, in exchange for a hundred years of service to Newbellum Castle and its residents.

Veilia, the infamously neurotic Banisher of Filth, is the servant in charge of cleaning and maintaining the castle. With hair of spiders, and the ability to take the form of a ravenous swarm of bugs and insects, this daughter of Multia is clearly the product of one of the pleasure goddesses' many visits to Black Carapace's den. The impulses of her ancestry are kept in tragic balance by an overwhelming compulsion for cleanliness and purity; Although under most circumstances she is unable to bring herself to do the messy work of killing, she has a terrible habit of seducing mortals only to inevitably freak out and butcher them when they make a mess or move to deflower her. After pulling this stunt on several favored nobles, Rexxis got fed up and had the budding monster thrown in the starless tower. Clearly he has now found a more... out of the way... place to put her.

A young Bellian girl named Chell, claiming only to be of divine parentage, is charged with ferrying the group, and any worldly goods they have to move, through the storm and around the Island of Plenty on an enchanted Galley. Tulwor knows that she was rescued and adopted by Mortus after trying to drown herself. Ketemos is familiar with rumors that she was born of a Noblewoman or even a Goddess victimized by Abbey's antics.

Hanging around in idle exhaustion is the ancient priest Dennis, who claims to be groundskeeper. Known as 'The Daywalker,' Dennis is part of the Vampire Agrippa's brood, but has rejected his dark purposes and instead spends his days in the service of nature, and of those beings he thinks to be nature deities. Many deities find Dennis to be more than a bit annoying, as he feels it his duty to challenge those who he serves, so that they may improve himself. He is also famous for depriving himself of the living blood his kind must drink for as long as he is able, hence his chronic poor condition. He claims to have come mainly to study the wildlife of the Island, and that will gladly do his official duty and look after any plants or beasts that the gods keep, but it is also likely that he has plans involving Ketari, whom he is known to worship and occasionally challenge with the birds he breeds just for her.

Despite, for the most part, coming from less than ideal circumstances, with the exception of the bound dragon moral among the support staff is high; Everybody seems thrilled to be playing an important part in a brand new chapter of Bellian History.

Nearly a month has passed. The calandar is set to flip from Kia to Valor. You are feeling strong... and perhaps even a bit more alive than you ever had before. Clammor suggests, as he packs his equipment into Helicopter for his return to the old Bellian Lands, that this is a result of the Heralds having done their job properly, and that you all now likely have followings bigger than you have ever had before.

You are attuned to the castle now; You can see and pleas floating in the prayer glass, feel the ambient protections granted by the domain islands, and hear the alluring call of the Jade Throne.

To those willing to brave the wrath and insults of Corusu, the castle lookout offers a decent view of the island. From there, two towns, a handful of high peaks, the mouth of two rivers, Bellian held jungle, Orc held grassland, and an Orc held fort are all visible.

The only thing between you and seizing the moment is the unprecedented weight of your actions. In a sense, history beings anew now. With you. For you.

You may now post your first actions. Also post what, if any, alterations and decorations you had Clammor add to your quarters.
You may wish to check out the links and spoilers below.

Newbellum Castle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NPCs and Actors:

Locations and Map:

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »

Pyrite spent several minutes staring at the glass orb, occasionally clicking his teeth together.

"Well, we have our first assignments... and opportunities, of course. Five requests, five gods, seems fair enough to each take one... unless someone doesn't want theirs, of course. I suppose we could also go for the same ones, if we didn't mind the competition, but it might not be terribly efficient.

...as for me, they all look serviceable. I like Messel, so I wouldn't mind advising his father on what to do with him. This corpse-eater sounds interesting enough that I'd like to meet it. Wildefair I may owe a certain amount of apology to,"
he said, grinning at something funny, "and I suppose it might serve to look after my... sister's mother's former people," he continued, furrowing his brow in considerably less glee. He thought a moment longer before continuing.

"This orc prisoner business sounds impressively wasteful and counterproductive; if they've no use for them I'll take them myself. Finally, I'm certainly qualified to speak of pleasures, though a married woman sounds rather boring for that," he finished, grinning again. "What say you all?"

"And that goes for you too, Sister," he called down the hall. Truth be told, he wasn't entirely sure of her relationship to him; nobody was, as far as he knew. Multia's appetites had been rather voracious, and in this case the two contenders for fatherhood were too close to make a good guess at. He preferred to think of her as his sister, however, because of her painful inability to ever enjoy herself. It was rather unfair to shovel responsibility for that onto Father, but he could simply be exasperated by his sister's antics; he had absolutely no idea what to do if it were his daughter who couldn't so much as bed a man without panicking and killing him instead.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2014, 11:41:56 pm »

"Corpses are Icky." Veilia says sticking her head into the room, "If you or any of your new co-gods go after the thing messing with them, let me know so I can draw a hot bath for afterwards."

She pauses for a second, looking hopelessly at the prayer glass that her non-divine eyes couldn't read. "Read the one about the married woman and pleasure please brother?"

The filthbanisher, looking up to both Pyrite and Black Carapace, would often refer to both as 'father' or 'dad' in private, but she knew better than to imply that either might have a daughter as shameful as her in front of a general audience.

After, and assuming you do, read the prayer, the spider-haired servant lets out a low whistle. "If she prays like that, I'd say she would consider herself married to her gods first and foremost... But I don't think the kind of stories and pleasure you could show her would help write an epic that inspires the masses. Your life is a trashy comedy play at best."

Veilia's brand of humor was oriented around insults delivered in a deadpan tone. Those who didn't know her were often easily offended. 

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2014, 12:39:03 am »

After, and assuming you do, read the prayer, the spider-haired servant lets out a low whistle. "If she prays like that, I'd say she would consider herself married to her gods first and foremost... But I don't think the kind of stories and pleasure you could show her would help write an epic that inspires the masses. Your life is a trashy comedy play at best."

Veilia's brand of humor was oriented around insults delivered in a deadpan tone. Those who didn't know her were often easily offended. 
"Trashy comedy play?" he groused back. "Surely it's at least a steamy adventure story?"

He scowled.

"Speaking of which, you have got to get a bit messier yourself. It's unseemly for a woman of your beauty and power to eat poor food and still be a maid," he complained, trying to avoid sounding too hard on her. She'd heard this speech before, and the last thing he needed was to destroy whatever confidence she had.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2014, 01:19:50 am »

"Trashy comedy play?" he groused back. "Surely it's at least a steamy adventure story?"

He scowled.

"Speaking of which, you have got to get a bit messier yourself. It's unseemly for a woman of your beauty and power to eat poor food and still be a maid," he complained, trying to avoid sounding too hard on her. She'd heard this speech before, and the last thing he needed was to destroy whatever confidence she had.

"Either way," she states mater-o-factly, "a catalogue of people bedded and eaten does not an epic make... I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to read or hear sung, but its not what the poor woman is praying for."

She pulls a spider from her head, and pops it into her mouth, chewing idly as Pyrite lectures her. "The chef here is good, but you are right. I have been witheld from the traditional family diet for some time. Rexxis wouldn't let me have any in that blasted prison of his... But I find no shame in serving as a maid in the house of the new gods. Somebody needs to keep this place clean."

Clearly she wasn't interested in exploring the real issue in depth at the moment, or perhaps just not in public.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2014, 01:46:01 am »

Pyrite tapped his chin a few times, thinking.

"Hm. I suppose you're right, unless this new republic intends to be founded on promiscuity. Well! Good thing I'm about to work on that, isn't it?

Speaking of which, I'll be heading to the corpse pit after all. Also an orgy. Greedy of me, I know, but everything here sounds so interesting.

Maybe next month I'll see about getting you some real food. Or you could slip out and get it yourself, I presume. Being fed isn't as fun as hunting, but condemned prisoners are likely easier to find here than isolated prey."

He began idly walking towards the lookout as he spoke, giving Veilia a chance to break off or follow as she chose.

Spend 2 miracles to alter Sarah. Make her far larger and more impressive than she is now; a voluptuous, statuesque giant among men. Give her a golden cast- bronze her skin somewhat, make her hair golden and her eyes a blank golden. But most importantly, give her a faint golden glow and overwhelming charisma- someone who is heard when she speaks, be they words of inspiration or accusations of shame.

Head to the undertaker and search for whatever it is that is mutilating corpses. Have him lock me in if necessary, and perhaps sample some of them myself. Attempt to discern what is doing this and why, in the most friendly manner possible.

Personally organize and partake in a festival devoted to carnal pleasures. Ensure that the Husbands of Husbands and Wives of Wives have a prominent place in it, and gently chastise any who object, encouraging them to partake in their own hungers rather than quibbling over the tastes of others.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:50:17 pm by IronyOwl »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2014, 03:46:58 am »

"Fair, I suppose"

Ketemos had said before making a quick browse through the prayers himself and then retreating to the silence of his room. He needed time to contemplate his choices and best course of action, away from the prying eyes of his fellow divines. His room was a fairly spacious and Ketemos was sure it was supposed to be a kind of ballroom or meeting hall...but his choices in furnishing had made it quite cramped. Bookshelves and filing cabinets created a maze difficult for any mortal to easily pass through. The lack of light, beyond a few well-kept candles, and windows further made it near impossible to see. Of course, for a god, such things didn't matter in the least. Indeed, Ketemos only had the room arranged in such a way on the slim chance that a mortal some how reached the Castle...which would be a great feat in itself.

Reaching his room, he immediately had a look at his charts and maps that he kept at the centre of the maze; it was always best to keep abreast of developments. This was not at all a way of helping him decide but more as what constituted a hobby for the young god; he was a cartography freak. It did however alert him to Mortus' knowledge on the pirate fleets...one seemed to bear Telen's symbol on their flags. Interesting.

Sometime later, Ketemos emerged from his room and decided on what to do. He would answer this poet's prayer. Making another look at the Glass to ensure the poet still desired aid, he noticed a few oddities. It seemed that someone had already acted on one of the prayers...he wasn't sure who but he had suspicions. Who else would give her such...adornments. He shrugged, made a disapproving comment on the news of the festival his brother had ordered and then began his work.

He knew exactly how to inspire the poet.

There was a city once of the golden mounts
Its people maimed and starved beyond count
by kings of old and lecherous men...

Answering Mikkia's prayer, and hoping it would work out for the best, Ketemos approached his half-sister on his accursed father's side. He remembered to bring along a few scrolls just in case the girl was open to a few teachings.

He found her by the jetty, tending to her ship. Amazing how such a young child could command a vessel. Even for a semidivine!. Ketemos approached slowly, ensuring that the girl heard his approach, although she probably would have anyway.

"Not too busy I presume Chell?"

Spend 2 miracles to inspire Mikkia with a story about a city ruled by a tyrant king. Though a son of Rexxis, even he knew that action needed to be taken. The story goes on to show how each god would solve the problem, showing their virtues and vices; ensure that Abbey's role in nearly causing a war in heaven over the city is subtly criticised. End the story with Telen and Multia instructing a lone orphan girl to walk up to the city's palace and dethroning the king by pointing how he had broken the law and winning over the loyalty of the guards by reminding them of their families. Ensure that this all comes to the poet in a dream and that it is extremely vivid. Also help Mikkia write the poem so as to be simple to understand but full of metaphors and references for the well read.

(EDIT: Below post reminded me about the pirates ^^)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:10:16 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:57 am »

'If you would please, Pyrite,' Tulwor said, before the other god could slip away. 'I would see to this Sarah woman. It sounds to me these people are sorely lacking in honor, and I much feel like seeing this Kiatown.'

He put his hand on his hammer - not really threateningly, but as if that was the most natural place for it.

Regardless of what the man said, Tulwor gave Keteri a shout. Something in Father's report had caught his eye. 'Sister! One of these pirate fleets flies the banner of our mother. Something that merits a look into, wouldn't you think?'

---

Tulwor's chambers are two-part; one half equipped with a forge and smithy, heat and light too much for any mortal to bear, the other half a feast hall fit for kings.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:27:26 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2014, 04:44:49 am »

'If you would please, Pyrite,' Tulwor said, before the other god could slip away. 'I would see to this Sarah woman. It sounds to me these people are sorely lacking in honor, and I much feel like seeing this Kiatown.'

He put his hand on his hammer - not really threateningly, but as if that was the most natural place for it.
Pyrite gave a contemplative frown.

"Hm. I can't deny that the pass is more your specialty than mine, but I was hoping to gain a foothold in dealing with the orcs. What were your plans for her?"

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:17 am »

Tulwor grunted, not replying immediately. Someone could have interpreted this as not actually having put much thought into the matter. 'Well... I'd teach her and the rest of them the concept of honor! She seems to have a better idea than the rest of them; I suppose I'll have her prove herself - reward her, if she proves brave and strong-willed enough.'

He paused. 'Ah, what does it matter? If nothing else, I'll rouse them from sitting idle behind their walls and fill their hearts with the courage they lack. Our warriors must be strong.'
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2014, 06:25:50 am »

Pyrite smiled as he noticed Tulwor's hesitation. He was growing oddly fond of his adventurous spontaneity.

"I don't think our aims are terribly incompatible; surely a more charismatic and honorable champion is better than either alone. I must confess, however, that it's quite a bit easier to be courageous and strong-willed when you've been blessed as I intended, and I certainly wouldn't want to ruin your challenge of her. The best gifts are most certainly earned, after all."

He furrowed his brow a bit.

"And I do agree that our warriors must be strong, but... you're not really thinking of trying to break the siege head-on, are you? If anyone can, I don't doubt it's you, but such a confrontation strikes me as... risky and costly."

He paused a moment, glancing from Tulwor to some empty point in space.

"Tulwor, would you be interested in joining forces to break the Orc blockade? If anyone can defeat them by strength of arms, it is you. If anyone can seduce them... well, I would loosely guess myself. Together, I suspect we could turn this siege into a great base of power for us both. Are you interested?"

He leaned in conspiratorially, and lowered his voice- not so much that anyone around couldn't still hear him, just enough for effect.

"My plan was simple. Orcs respect strength, yes? I don't doubt this siege is more than a simple challenge, but I also don't doubt that it's related. I also don't doubt that Orcs are loathe to ignore a challenge, and I finally do not doubt that there are better ways to test oneself than open warfare. Or lengthy sieges, in this case.

So my solution? An arena! Winners control the pass. Better a constantly opening and closing door than a solid wall, right? I wasn't sure exactly where to put it- carved into the pass, perhaps- but somewhere it could claim neutrality... and be controlled by my followers. I imagined Orcs would be loathe to abandon or betray their gods, but intrigued by my gifts. Bellians would have no such complaints, and likely... ah, well if I'm to be completely honest, I had hoped to control the pass exclusively."

Pyrite gave a sheepish grin and shrug.

"I, aha... was certainly thinking of the benefit of all, but better yet if it were all mine, to a point. Ah... but I don't know if that would have been feasible to begin with. And I was thinking of doing it alone, of course, but now you're here."

He took and exhaled a deep breath.

"So, what do you think? A god of battle- or at least adventure and courage- and a god of improvement create an arena to control the pass. The Orcs... well, they might decline, but they'd surely be tempted; even if they refuse to cede the pass, they'd likely participate. Our warriors grow stronger, theirs learn their place, everyone wins! Especially if it's unarmed or we have good healers, presumably.

And, of course, in my humble opinion, none could blame us for benefiting unusually from this arrangement, provided it was still to the interests of everyone involved.

What do you think?"

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2014, 06:32:34 am »

Whilst on his way to talk to Chell, Ketemos noticed Tulwor and Pyrite talking. Hearing something about the orcs, he stayed and listened for a while, nodding a few times and then went on his way to the jetty.

"You could also fight some storm or other natural phenomena in front of the natives. They've probably never seen that before. Just a suggestion." Ketemos said without stopping.

((didn't want to but in but just wanted to suggest that without breaking character))
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 39