Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51653 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #435 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:43 am »

The dragon sunk into thought for a moment, organizing them for the matter at hand, and spoke out. " Hmm... I think it would be better If I explain your second question first then; If I were to give out my blessings and teachings only to those that already are rich, then I would be a fool. They would amass more wealth than before and I would get my share of it, true enough, but just being wealthy does not mean you are rich. If the common people also accept my guidance, they too will grow more wealthy, and in turn will the traders. Wealth is prone to beget more wealth, instead of the selected few all will amass more of it, and an abundance of wealth is created, siphoning off funds and goods from outside factions and forces. " After a short pause, he smirked. " Obviously, appealing to a broader mass of people is also part of it, that much I won't deny, but what I mentioned before is indeed my true view on the matter. " Further, if one were to compare a trader that got even richer, to a peasant who ascended from poverty, he was sure that the later would be a more fervent worshipper, but that much he kept to himself.

Clearing his throat lightly, he continued. " Returning to your first question, where the fault of Hazel would lie. Instead of trying to achieve his primary goal by wit or trickery, he choose to destroy the fields when he could not gain their harvest for himself. In doing so he harmed one of his fellow men greatly, inconvenienced the rest of his own people further, the later which are already pressed for food because of the siege. "

While talking, he also had taken to thinking about the situation. He already had enemies aplenty, and currently no need of further ones. No, if anything, considering the common history between their races, they should be more likely to work together. He had an inkling that his position in a bellian pantheon could be demetrial to that, but trying was not bound to hurt him. In the end, he decided to politely test the waters, intent on not offending his host with a demand she might find unreasonable. He even slightly humbled himself by admitting his mistake - if it would lead to a profitable outcome, he could stomach this much. " Now then, I will admit that I did not knew one as yourself to be the patron of – as you called him – your pet, when I first called out for him. Still, as I already did so, I would be loath to let the matter rest, but at the same time I would prefer if we could keep amiable relations. To be frank, I see no reason why we should quarrel, for while we are from different races, our history at bellian hands is not all that different. With that in mind, I ask of you - Would you find it insulting towards yourself, if I were to slight Haze? "

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 07, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »

The dragon sunk into thought for a moment, organizing them for the matter at hand, and spoke out. " Hmm... I think it would be better If I explain your second question first then; If I were to give out my blessings and teachings only to those that already are rich, then I would be a fool. They would amass more wealth than before and I would get my share of it, true enough, but just being wealthy does not mean you are rich. If the common people also accept my guidance, they too will grow more wealthy, and in turn will the traders. Wealth is prone to beget more wealth, instead of the selected few all will amass more of it, and an abundance of wealth is created, siphoning off funds and goods from outside factions and forces. " After a short pause, he smirked. " Obviously, appealing to a broader mass of people is also part of it, that much I won't deny, but what I mentioned before is indeed my true view on the matter. " Further, if one were to compare a trader that got even richer, to a peasant who ascended from poverty, he was sure that the later would be a more fervent worshipper, but that much he kept to himself.

Clearing his throat lightly, he continued. " Returning to your first question, where the fault of Hazel would lie. Instead of trying to achieve his primary goal by wit or trickery, he choose to destroy the fields when he could not gain their harvest for himself. In doing so he harmed one of his fellow men greatly, inconvenienced the rest of his own people further, the later which are already pressed for food because of the siege. "

While talking, he also had taken to thinking about the situation. He already had enemies aplenty, and currently no need of further ones. No, if anything, considering the common history between their races, they should be more likely to work together. He had an inkling that his position in a bellian pantheon could be demetrial to that, but trying was not bound to hurt him. In the end, he decided to politely test the waters, intent on not offending his host with a demand she might find unreasonable. He even slightly humbled himself by admitting his mistake - if it would lead to a profitable outcome, he could stomach this much. " Now then, I will admit that I did not knew one as yourself to be the patron of – as you called him – your pet, when I first called out for him. Still, as I already did so, I would be loath to let the matter rest, but at the same time I would prefer if we could keep amiable relations. To be frank, I see no reason why we should quarrel, for while we are from different races, our history at bellian hands is not all that different. With that in mind, I ask of you - Would you find it insulting towards yourself, if I were to slight Haze? "

"...Your logic is fair enough Dragon." The voice admits, "I sometimes find it hard to remember that what my pet deals in is actually vital foodstuff to other beings. As for the aquirement of wealth, I have had to keep my head low for so long, that I am rather rusty at playing that game. I will take you at your word that your reasons for favoring the farmers are valid."

The voice falls silent for a few seconds, perhaps weighing its options and organizing its thoughts. "I am mature enough to not take a slight against Haze personally, but some of our children are of the golden age at which they are clever enough to care about their parents interests and pride, yet dumb enough to pick fights that they shouldn't... It may be better if we were to settle whatever debt you feel is owed to you and the farmer in private. Then I tell Haze to keep his head low for a spell, and complain that you have harshly reprimanded him so that you may maintain face."

"How about this," She offers, "I tell Haze to give the farmer in question a very favorable lifetime contract, and I give you one of my older children to enter your service as a priest, or to serve as a pet for you or a follower of your choice. I could also provide you with venom and silks if you prefer. If you want Crop or Bellian Currency, I could call for one of Haze's Bookeepers, but they are loath to visit me, and we may be kept waiting while the poor fool I ask for drags his feet."

Pyrite's brow furrowed in contemplation. "That would certainly explain some things... and you're right, if true it'd blunt the point of getting revenge on him. Heh. Guess we could try for torturing the armor instead...

Are you knowledgeable about dragons in general? I must confess I know little of them, and now they seem to be increasingly relevant. Plus, I'm curious. Why is it that every one I hear about has a title?"

"Aye. I know much Dragons. I was on their side in the War Before Time. You name one of the more notorious ones from pre-history, and odds are I cooked for it, its court, or its army at one point."

He takes another long sip of his drink. "Since almost every dragon is born with the potential to equal the gods of other races, and since most of them have a compulsion to collect wealth and followers, any one that lives long enough is bound to pick up a title or two along the way. Usually they pick it themselves, but sometimes their followers or peers grant it to them. If not, you can bet that a Dragon's rivals or foes will grant them a less than flattering title, as was the case for Travoror."

"I learned quite a while ago not to think Bellians as superior to all others..."

As he took his seat, Ketemos made a quick glance at the oddities this man owned. "Looking at your belongings, I can already see that the disdain my people have for yours is very much unfounded; I'd like to know more about these artifacts you've collected...but first the matter at hand."

"I have spent some time trying to create a stone automaton; it already has the ability to learn and store information but I am unfortunately, unskilled with the ways of giving life to the inanimate. I have been led to believe that you could?"

Tonk scratches his chin. "I could give it a try. I know the theory behind such life giving, but have never used it for anything bigger than a Gargoyle's limb... If I fail, I could alert you when somebody more qualified shows up at port. Most Earth Elemantalists are not fond of the seafaring life, but some are, and there are others who know other means of animation as well."

He spares a glance to the kitchen, "If you intend to stay for a spell, I can have some root-tea made, if you are not too busy."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 07, 2014, 05:17:35 pm »

"Interesting. Why'd they fall, then?

And what was it like, serving under them? Did you have a favorite?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 07, 2014, 06:25:05 pm »

"Interesting. Why'd they fall, then?

And what was it like, serving under them? Did you have a favorite?"

"Beats me, I ain't a soldier or a general. I think it had something to do with pride and organizational skills. Rexxis always had a large handful of gods and other powerful beings in the fight for him. Usually their wasn't more than 5 or 6 dragons involved at any given time. Don't ask me though, I ain't a soldier or a general."

The pig chuckles when asked about serving under the Dragons. "They respected me a bit more than some people in this castle do, I'll give em that. I grew strong under the worship of their adoring soldiers, who loved my work, but I never had much influence among the Dragons themselves. As for favorites, I liked Stella and Lunias, they were conjoined twins, the daughters of Murketunroar the Lake Lord. Their father viewed them as defective mutants... he was sort of a jerk that one... and unworthy of mating with their own species, so they actually ended up betrothed to me. Pity they never lived to see the wedding feast."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:36 pm »

"Well...I suppose some tea wouldn't hurt..."

As the elementalist prepared the tea, Ketemos continued the conversation. "Assuming you can do what I ask for, what exactly would you like in return? I can after all pay in more than just coin, after all...And if you would assuage my curiosity, what exactly are these oddities you seem to have collected. Forgive me, but I would not expect Selma's Gate to be home to a collection of artifacts such as these.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 07, 2014, 07:24:37 pm »

"Well...I suppose some tea wouldn't hurt..."

As the elementalist prepared the tea, Ketemos continued the conversation. "Assuming you can do what I ask for, what exactly would you like in return? I can after all pay in more than just coin, after all...And if you would assuage my curiosity, what exactly are these oddities you seem to have collected. Forgive me, but I would not expect Selma's Gate to be home to a collection of artifacts such as these.

Tonk calls out in a strange Barbarian language that is hard to directly translate into Bellian, although your gift of tongues informs you that the person he is speaking to is his wife, and that he is requesting that tea be made. Several seconds later a red-headed woman begins to prattle around in the kitchen.

"It might have to just be coin I'm afraid. I'm content with the way my life is right now; Earth Elementalists tend to be predisposed against great ambition. I suppose I could ask the wife and extended family if they need any favor or boon."

He offers a smile when you bring up the oddities. "There is no better place for a collector to live than a pirate port. The Buccaneers bring in stuff they don't understand all the time, and I'm the one they pay to assess it. If it is useless to them, but interesting to me, I can often buy it cheap."

Tonk picks up a piece of delicate looking thin copper pipe, with strange symbols engraved on it. "This, for example, is a piece from a Deep Elf Cave Organ. I have a good handful of such parts, and if I get a few more, I may be able to reverse engineer and reconstruct the instrument. I like collecting bits from the subterranean cultures that nobody has heard from since the Dragons collapsed the great tunnel shaft in the war your race claims to have happened before time itself." 

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:07 pm »

"That is a shame. What happened to them, if you don't mind my asking?"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 07, 2014, 10:48:25 pm »

Huh, did not notice this thing, don't know why, because this looks amazing.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 07, 2014, 10:57:09 pm »

"That is a shame. What happened to them, if you don't mind my asking?"

Oinkiny shrugs, and offers a dark snort. "Don't know for sure. Their father was destroyed by a Bellian host at the 4th Battle of Volcano, and his lair was sacked by Rexxis and some of his godly friends a few months afterwards. Nobody heard from the twins since, and the Bellians claim them amoung the Dragons destroyed by their gods. I have heard nasty rumors about their final fate though. Some say they were cut apart and mortally wounded, weighed down with stones, and drowned in the great lake. Others say Abbey forcibly transmuted them into Bellian Women, and forced them to marry victorious homecoming soldiers and live out short, mortal, lives as housewives. Some of the stories even call your mother their killer; Telen had never seen conjoined dragons before, so they say, and had to chop them to bits to find out how they functioned."

He sighs. "It is a pity. I'm sure the marriage wouldn't have worked, but they were nice girls, and I was looking forward to the wedding feast and honeymoon at least. I used to exchange gifts with them in the early days of the fighting, and Dragons do not part with their belongings lightly. It is a pity."

The former god rises from his chair, and limps toward his kitchen. It is clear he is still hurting from the blast. "Hopefully your damn Bellians can turn it around. Losing a war is no fun Pyrite. Would you like something to eat?"

Huh, did not notice this thing, don't know why, because this looks amazing.

We have an OOC thread. You should post there.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 08, 2014, 06:49:31 am »

"Hmm...I'll have to remember that. I've not been able to add anything to my own collection for quite some time; my placement here has taken a toll on my own pleasures, unfortunately."

Taking a good look at the pipe, it reminded Ketemos somewhat of mother's own machinery, although he had never been enlightened as to their function. "For a Bellian, it might as well be; they didn't really exist until then you know. And although I see your point, I do recall that its more of a marker of when Bellian history was first recorded rather than when we believe the important parts of existence started...although that hasn't stopped some from believing so."

"Which brings up the question: what of your own people? Surely a recorded history was made from before the so-called beginning of time."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:00 am »

"Which brings up the question: what of your own people? Surely a recorded history was made from before the so-called beginning of time."

Tonk laughs. "My people are younger than yours. The common barbarian, as we have been called, descends from the people and beings who fought under Rexxis in the war, Bellians mostly, but refused to acknowledge him as head of pantheon afterward. The red hair and bad temper comes from the fire giants, who we bred out of existance as the Bellpine Elves did to Rexxis's race."

He gestures to one of his bookshelves, "that doesn't mean there is no recorded history that predates Bellian  times, or that I don't know much of said history. Is their any specific knowledge which you would seek from such a record?"

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:52 pm »

Auratus mulled the offers over for a short time, but the conversation was quite reasonable, and very much in his favour. Almost too much, or so he suspected. Without having seen her, she could either be plotting something, or be weaker than he initially suspected. The later would be no matter, but the former... Still, all things considered, if she would battle with him, there was a good chance of her becoming expelled from Kiatown, if not worse – the dragon very much doubted that she was willing to sacrifice her current wealth and position for no apparent reason, and instead replied to her. " That... would be agreeable offers. About the farmer I have to add that he needs to be reimbursed fairly for the damage done, for I know not if he has the funds to buy seeds for his next harvest otherwise. "

" As for the other matter, I would have no qualms about a priest with non-bellian blood – if not even personally favouring such one, and if he is up to the task, would give him as much of a high position as he deserves. Still, I am a bit - well, surprised - at you mentioning that you would allow your children to be held as mere pets. May I presume that not all of your children have taken on as much features from their father as the daughter did that I have already seen? Not that I would mind, but more for the sake of appearances. I wager that Pyrite will be the one to take on those that the mortals would consider outcasts, and am only partly interested in doing so myself, much less contesting him on that front. "

A most bemusing thought wandered into the dragon's head. Bemusing, and maybe quite useful too, given the circumstances were as he thought them to be. Wishing for clarification, he quizzed the arachnid. " Speaking of him, would you think your blood-connections to him close enough that he might consider you kin? In a similar vein, is there a specific reason why you have kept a low profile, except the xenophobic disposition of bellian society at large? "

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:45 pm »

Auratus mulled the offers over for a short time, but the conversation was quite reasonable, and very much in his favour. Almost too much, or so he suspected. Without having seen her, she could either be plotting something, or be weaker than he initially suspected. The later would be no matter, but the former... Still, all things considered, if she would battle with him, there was a good chance of her becoming expelled from Kiatown, if not worse – the dragon very much doubted that she was willing to sacrifice her current wealth and position for no apparent reason, and instead replied to her. " That... would be agreeable offers. About the farmer I have to add that he needs to be reimbursed fairly for the damage done, for I know not if he has the funds to buy seeds for his next harvest otherwise. "

" As for the other matter, I would have no qualms about a priest with non-bellian blood – if not even personally favouring such one, and if he is up to the task, would give him as much of a high position as he deserves. Still, I am a bit - well, surprised - at you mentioning that you would allow your children to be held as mere pets. May I presume that not all of your children have taken on as much features from their father as the daughter did that I have already seen? Not that I would mind, but more for the sake of appearances. I wager that Pyrite will be the one to take on those that the mortals would consider outcasts, and am only partly interested in doing so myself, much less contesting him on that front. "

A most bemusing thought wandered into the dragon's head. Bemusing, and maybe quite useful too, given the circumstances were as he thought them to be. Wishing for clarification, he quizzed the arachnid. " Speaking of him, would you think your blood-connections to him close enough that he might consider you kin? In a similar vein, is there a specific reason why you have kept a low profile, except the xenophobic disposition of bellian society at large? "

"I will have Haze take care of the farmer as much as he needs taking care of. I lack the expertise to negotiate the specifics with you beyond that."

She gives an exasperated sigh. "I know not of this Pyrite. Haze is not particularly religious. I know nothing of your peers, and only what Haze has told me of you. But my children are numerous, and I can part with one if I must. The only feature that betrays their parentage is their eyes, and they can be concealed by a veil or hood if you insist upon such concealment."

The cavern fills with a sound that your gift of tongues interprets as a dark laugh. "I have been hiding in this chamber since long before your people arrived. Their bigotry may soon pose a threat to me, but not with their present numbers. I hide because my very existence offends most of the inbred dragons who call themselves gods of the Orcs, and because the Chimera would use me as spare parts. Before your people climbed out of the sea, all I had was the occasional Orcish mate and meal wander into my trap, or the occasional friendly harpy seek business with me. Now, at least, I have a pet to keep me fed and entertained."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 08, 2014, 04:00:29 pm »

Pyrite glanced at his stomach, realizing he supposedly hadn't eaten in several days. He drained the rest of his beverage and placed the mug on the ground, before following after Oinkiny.

"I would, thank you. Anything should be fine; I trust your tastes in this matter.

And yes, I've noticed. Apparently the Orcs are of three minds regarding what to do if victorious- one group opts for keeping the Bellians intact to learn their secrets, one for scattering them throughout the island as slaves, and one for butchering them to the last child to avoid a prophecy. None fates we can afford, sadly."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 08, 2014, 04:35:59 pm »

Pyrite glanced at his stomach, realizing he supposedly hadn't eaten in several days. He drained the rest of his beverage and placed the mug on the ground, before following after Oinkiny.

"I would, thank you. Anything should be fine; I trust your tastes in this matter.

And yes, I've noticed. Apparently the Orcs are of three minds regarding what to do if victorious- one group opts for keeping the Bellians intact to learn their secrets, one for scattering them throughout the island as slaves, and one for butchering them to the last child to avoid a prophecy. None fates we can afford, sadly."

The chef prattles around the kitchen, materialzing various items into a good sized stew pot, which he begins to heat up. He then generates some dough, which he begins to knead and layer onto a pie-pan as crust. "Well, at least that means if things go very bad, you might be able to buy time by string up some infighting... if you even have to stir it up. Anybody left down there you have a particular interest in saving? Or were they all in that blast, leaving you in this mess merely for duty and vengeance?"
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 39