Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51668 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #405 on: August 22, 2014, 05:13:52 pm »

If Ketari didn't get around to it, Pyrite ushered the Orcs out, telling them they had business to discuss in private and telling them to gently haul Unrest to Dennis for care. He had little doubt they'd cluster around the door again in short order, but didn't particularly care; it might be better they not hear some things, but certainly not critical. This was more for the other gods' benefit than his own.

He listened to the dragon's speech with interest and no small amount of concern, particularly noting his claim to be the guardian of Selma's Gate. That was ambitious of him... and either a generous use of a the term 'guardian' or surprisingly dutiful.

"Dangerous, neutral, and overelaborate," he answered to the dragon's final question.

"The size of the Orcs is not just for show. I have spoken with a knowledgeable Bellian general on this, and despite the Bellians having metal weapons and the Orcs none, they have yet to win an open engagement with even numbers. Handing the Orcs the secrets of forging their own weapons might tip the balance deeply in their favor. What's more, unless the little people have hidden secrets to share, this is not an advantage that can be compensated for or removed. Once they know, they know, and Bellian ingenuity counts for a little less.

Furthermore, I have to wonder why such an alliance would be necessary, at least on those terms. Surely if we break the Orcish alliance, we'll be able to ally with Orc tribes on more equitable terms at will? And..."
he paused here, uncertain, "...I'm not sure complete peace is in the Bellians' best interests. Surely you know that too little resistance tends to make one soft..."

I'm ambivalent regarding Ketari's ascension. I don't see what we require the throne for just yet, and I'm nervous as the prospect of utilizing its powers for something long term. We can replicate most of its effects easily enough on our own, but the sheer force it can bring to bear at once is a potent weapon. Spending that to produce permanent defenses might have merit, but removes a powerful deterrent and backup plan.

As for... creating our own afterlife,"
he continued, furrowing his brow at Auratus, "That seems excessively complicated and bold. Are you familiar enough with souls to work such a plan? It seems rather soon to worry about such things."

Head to the Kiatown army and organize the assault on the Orcs, ideally launching it this month. Bring the weapons Tulwor forged if possible. Summon Meltip when needed, but try not to bother her unless it's clear the plan is moving forward. Make sure the commander is either on board or has very good reasons to delay, and bring in Nightcharm and Ryder as consultants. Explain that I can't participate personally, but that we'll have Meltip's basilisk as a backup plan. Further explain that the goal is to take as many Orcs alive as possible, in addition to crushing their army.

Search the jungles around Kiatown for spores, pollen, fungus, or something that could have been those floating wooden things in the dream. If that fails, find and examine the one who had the dream and her surroundings for allergies, cancers, or malignant houseplants that might not be so common in the jungle. Bring her the results in any case.

Study the Orcs in minute detail, especially the secrets of that war cry Unrest unleashed.

Study the basilisk-spawn in minute detail, especially the secrets of their life force manipulation.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2014, 04:40:47 pm »

Auratus listened to Pyrites questions, nodding at some and stopping himself from sneering at others. Really, would he have to explain every little detail? Then again, there was no doubt that his superior draconic intelligence should surpass that of a mere bellian god, so in a sense it was to be expected. In a slightly enervated tone, he replied. " You rise some good points, but they are far to easily rebuked. Let me explain in more detail what I have in mind, and I am sure you will see the reasoning as sound. "

" From what I would have heard, these Islands seem to hold no easily workable metals, the main reason why the orcs never invented metallurgy. Even if they attain the knowledge now, they only could work the native adamantite from those little ones, and I doubt those will trade them enough to become a threat to their own defences. In essence, we decide how much copper, bronze and iron they get, and how many of them learn the craft. On the other hand, which clans would even be interested in allying themselves with the bellians, if it is not those learners? I already said that there would be some risk involved with doing this, but it would give us the time we need. Once we take a bottleneck from them, like their current fort, we can easily defend anything they could ever throw at us in the century to come. Unless you can chain Ketari from her crusade, we are bound to clash with those harpies either way, so I doubt we will lack conflict. " After giving the goddess a short, accusing glare, he started on the next topic.

" I agree that using too much of the throne's power would leave us defenceless, but if we use it to attain a much needed edge over the orcish gods, it will be worth it. The upcoming battle will leave us with many souls, which we could put to good use instead of giving them away to the frozen seas. It will also boost their morale to greater heights, if they know their souls to be protected from that fate. If we are to implement such a thing, we could not pick a better time, nor a better lord than Tulwor to weave said miracle. As you say, it is indeed not an easy undertaking, and I would think anyone of us would fail if he were to try his hand at it alone. "

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:32 pm »

Ketari looked back at the dragon when he glared, but hummed at his suggestions.

"We have no other gods interfering here, but that may change if we steal from them what's theirs... or, at least, if they see it that way, regardless of Rexxis' commands, yes? A clever plan, with great reward, but expensive in price and possible risk. It is too soon, I would think, for such a scheme. Potential, potential, but I wonder what exactly you would reforge such souls into. Servants of yours, definitely. Servants of ours... I'm not so sure, yes?"
She met the dragon's gaze - or glare - evenly, a hint of challenge in her green-blue eyes.

She waved her hand dismissively at the suggest they'd control the orcs' rate of learning. "Once secrets are out, they remain out." She grinned. "I know that better than most. The only advantage our people hold over these greenskins is our metal. Teaching them... well, these things have a way of spreading. Maybe not for now, but maybe in many years, they would have the knowledge we have, and thus have the advantage. I can agree to trading, but not to any teaching, no. They must remain ignorant. We do not know whether these Learners would side against their own kind."
She shrugged.
"We need to learn more."
----

After the war council and the creation (or not, depending on the dice) of the Howlers, Ketari returned the domain she'd covered with forest, and plucked countless dozens of leaves from the trees, returning to her room, rusting with greenery. There, she wove them together into a rippling cloak. Something was missing. She took one of the skulls of the devoured harpies, carefully glueing on tiny leaves until it almost resembled scales. She almost loveingly, with careful taps and scrapes of her nails, split it in two along the side, and fitted it to her own, weaving straps to fit it on or loosen it off. Then long leaves hung down, to be woven onto the cloak proper. She breathed her magic into the beak of the skull, and the verdant garment rippled with her power.

Actions: Ordinary Turn

Secrets of the little bird: Give me information on the dragon-god of the orcs.

Ketari creates the Howlers, Barkers modified with incredible sight, hearing, and the ability to call loud enough to be heard on the castle - by the dragon. They have different calls for enemies, allies, and unknown, but little combat ability themselves. Once for each domain, and one for the Castle. 1 Miracle

Ketari creates the Chameleaf Cloak, an enchanted cloak of leaves that can change colour and texture, suppressing wearer's sound, smell and 'aura' (for lack of a better word) to fool magical and mundane senses. Large enough to fit Ketari, and hide a smaller person clinging on to them. 1 Miracle
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2014, 04:06:11 am »

Ketemos raised an eyebrow to Auratus' suggestion of creating an afterlife...it would be a direct insult to Glaciana and could quickly spiral out of control if not created cautiously...then again, it could quite probably turn things to their favour.

"Auratus...I find myself agreeing with you. We cannot afford to lose any of our followers...especially with these Orcs about. Although I'd advise against any punishments; why would they worship us if they can expect similar fates from Glaciana? No, I think it would be better if those who have truly served us in life be given life anew. We could craft them new bodies of stone and metal and allow them to lead our living worshipers in however we wish them to. We would not even have to produce their bodies ourselves but leave it to mortal craftsmen. That would leave us only with the actual act of transferring their souls to their new hosts."

---
After the war-council, Ketemos returned to his chambers and gazed at his still dysfunctional creation. He would not waste any time trying to animate it for he knew little would come of it. Instead, he took a small sapphire he had used to construct the golem and tinkered. Using a similar design as with the Gates, Ketemos enchanted the gem with a temporary blessing that would allow nearly anyone to make use of the framework established by the Gates...for a time at least. A month would be long enough for most and if not, well those who needed to use it would find little difficulty acquiring the Shifter's Eye.

Regardless of whether or not Ketemos finished his newest design, he made the journey once more to Selma's Gate, hoping to find Tonk. Along the way, he attempted to locate expert stonecrafters for projects at a later date.

Interaction: Visit Tonk. Also scout out for the best stonecrafters in the town.
1 Miracle: create the Shifter's Eye, a marble-sized sphere that when pressed into a being's skin creates a sigil of Ketemos, allowing them to teleport within a 10 metre radius. The sigil remains for up to a month before subsiding.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:38 pm »

'I will think on this matter of the afterlife,' Tulwor said, after a while. Had that what Father had meant with duty? Perhaps not - Tulwor would have to speak with him on the matter, anyway. He knew little of the business of souls.

The war was what mattered right now, though. They were not reaching any dramatic conclusion with this meeting, it seemed, but he would do what he could. The fort would have to be brought down, eventually, and he would work towards that. Tulwor could imagine the ranks of catapults, onagers and great ballistae raining fire and death into the Orcs.

---

Interaction: Travel to the Army and inspire the troops with my awesome presence and stories.

2 Miracles: Craft siege engines for the army to use in battle and against the fort.

1 Miracle banked.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »

Ketari looked back at the dragon when he glared, but hummed at his suggestions.

"We have no other gods interfering here, but that may change if we steal from them what's theirs... or, at least, if they see it that way, regardless of Rexxis' commands, yes? A clever plan, with great reward, but expensive in price and possible risk. It is too soon, I would think, for such a scheme. Potential, potential, but I wonder what exactly you would reforge such souls into. Servants of yours, definitely. Servants of ours... I'm not so sure, yes?"
She met the dragon's gaze - or glare - evenly, a hint of challenge in her green-blue eyes.

Auratus heaved a heavy sight at Ketari – how could he ever hope to betray one of these gods, if they were on such good terms with their own sibling, and even further, amongst themselves as well? Determined to have none of such talk any more, he told as much. " What baseless accusations ", he groaned. " You all know very well that my claws are quite tied. Should I incur the grudge of even one of you, that one's dear sibling will be sure to give him a helping hand in case he would need it. Sure, I am more than able to hold my own against one of you, but battling or working against two is rather beyond me. So let me make it clear – if anyone should be afraid of being betrayed, it is no one other than me! Now stop painting me as such – unless your goal would be to make me into one. For if you treat me as such, maybe some day I will become just that. I will leave it at that. " After giving a somewhat bemused glare to the goddess, he did just so, changing to another topic.

Ketemos raised an eyebrow to Auratus' suggestion of creating an afterlife...it would be a direct insult to Glaciana and could quickly spiral out of control if not created cautiously...then again, it could quite probably turn things to their favour.

"Auratus...I find myself agreeing with you. We cannot afford to lose any of our followers...especially with these Orcs about. Although I'd advise against any punishments; why would they worship us if they can expect similar fates from Glaciana? No, I think it would be better if those who have truly served us in life be given life anew. We could craft them new bodies of stone and metal and allow them to lead our living worshipers in however we wish them to. We would not even have to produce their bodies ourselves but leave it to mortal craftsmen. That would leave us only with the actual act of transferring their souls to their new hosts."

The dragon was somewhat baffled at Ketemos accusation. He, of all present, felt himself least likely to fall to such sick amusement as the enslaver of dragons enjoyed. There would also be no benefit in being thought to be unnecessarily cruel, and until now he only had judged those impertinent towards him accordingly. Thus, he set out to correct the misunderstanding. " I have no desire to recreate the indiscriminate torture chambers that Glaciana calls her own. When I speak of sinners, I mean those that have indeed sinned irredeemably against either their fellow men, or against us. Even then, destroying their soul is far more amiable than torturing them until nothing is left of them, so you can't call it cruel if it is to be compared with their previous fates. To speak the truth, I know not how far you intend to take which-ever philosophies you want to impose on the mortals, but even if you think that you could guide them towards an existence without sin, until it is so, a judge is needed for those that do. They already fear my wrath as it is now, so imposing on that should deter many from committing sin, would you not think so? Or is compensation for criminal acts unjust in your eyes? "

" As for honouring those that did well to our cause, it could indeed be done in such ways. " The dragon shrugged in a non-committal way. " Still, to ensure those that have not wronged us will not be tortured, will be enough of an improvement that it should ease our transition towards the true gods of the bellians on this island. There is no real need to embellish the possibilities of their afterlife even further, albeit doing so would also reap its benefits for us. "

'I will think on this matter of the afterlife,' Tulwor said, after a while. Had that what Father had meant with duty? Perhaps not - Tulwor would have to speak with him on the matter, anyway. He knew little of the business of souls.

The war was what mattered right now, though. They were not reaching any dramatic conclusion with this meeting, it seemed, but he would do what he could. The fort would have to be brought down, eventually, and he would work towards that. Tulwor could imagine the ranks of catapults, onagers and great ballistae raining fire and death into the Orcs.

Auratus shook his head lightly. If there was a time to do so, it was now, not later. " Tulwor, while you would  squander your time thinking, it trickles away from our hands like sand. The decisive battle will be next month. If we don't create their afterlife then, you won't be able to lead them away from the cruel fate in the month that follows. We will loose souls by the hundreds, if not thousands, all brave soldiers, and for their valorous sacrifice, you want them to be sent to the frozen seas, where cruelties will be inflicted on them instead? Acting now is of importance. Should you need further incentive to do so, I promise that the first thing I will smith from these souls, will be a boon of your choosing, to be used by yourself truly against the orcish pantheon. "

Taking to the centre of the room, the dragon boomed. " Now then, let me announce it once more; I propose Tulwor as our temporary Lord, to create an afterlife for our faithful, and to lead us in battle against the orcish pantheon! "

Looking at the two brothers, he called out.
" Sons of Telen. Let us hear your decisions on this matter! "

---

Brooding on his throne over what had transpired at the meeting, the dragon came to a very easy conclusion. If he would seek to strengthen his holdings, or grow in strength himself, it would either be now, or possibly multiple months later. He already had arranged for a morale boost towards their army, and others had played their cards as well - the rest could be left up to fate. Afer some contemplation, he decided that he could divert his attention towards his own matters. Albeit getting weaker, the prayer still called out to him. He would try his hand at it, after taking care of what he already held partly in the palm of his claws.

Miracle: Auratus will try his hand at the mirrors once more. The silver mirrors are actually not really magical, as "his" golden mirror is the one connecting towards them, and blessed them with functions in turn.

Interaction 1: Travel towards Selma's Gate, speak with Canvas / manage the temple shrine. Take two of the mirrors with me, unless they failed once more.

Interaction 2: Seek out Haze, or his ship, once more.

Edit: Corrected my misspelling~
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:42:29 pm by escaped lurker »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 29, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »

Ketemos simply shook his head

"Although an afterlife would be a good idea, can we really use it now in the present situation? I see no point in doing so when we have more immediate problems. And in truth, I still think the current Lord is suitable in dealing with this kidnapper; we do not need combat the whole of the Orcish pantheon now."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 30, 2014, 04:24:11 pm »

Pyrite shifted uncomfortably for a bit, a tense, uncertain expression on his face.

"I think we should wait for Mortuus' expertise," he finally said, not sounding much more confident than he looked. "The souls we have should keep until he comes to collect them anyway, and I don't believe any of us are particularly knowledgeable on this subject. He may have insight into the cost of doing so, as well."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 02, 2014, 10:40:37 pm »

Turn 4: Darkest Hour

Year 764, Month of:

Korroarfall
Rexxisreign
Bellia
Autumnjoy
Kia
Valor
Clammor
Alvin
Abbey
Mortus
Autumnwrath
Glaciana

---

Pyrite:

The worst month of your life begins, mildly enough, with the utter failure of any attempt you make at studying the non-bellian beings you have collected at Newbellum Castle. The half-basilisks are more energetic now, and seem to delight in trying to lock eyes with you as you examine them. Their gaze gives you a severe headache, and you fear prolonged exposure may do much worse. Eventually you decide to put that particular project on hold until Dennis feeds them again, which he assures you should happen some time next month.

Your examination of the Orcs, although far less stressful, is little more productive. A close look confirms that they tend to be larger, with harder bones and more effecient muscles, than Bellians, but beyond that, you learn little that you hadn't already inferred about the Barbarians through your previous interactions with them. The Orcs can tell your little about their war cry, other than the fact that it was taught to each of them by their tribe or army's priest or elder, and was originally taught to Orckind by their gods.

Eventually, you feel the weight of time press against you, and set off to Kiatown to make your final preparations for the attack on the Orcish Army. It takes a few days of arranging, but eventually you manage to gather Lord Ryder Infelix, General Tobbin Nightcharm, Pirate Lord Meltip the Indecent, and Commander-in-Chief Gordon Lionspaw, an Ancient and Obese man with more medals and decorations than you suspect it possible for a Bellian to win in one lifetime. The former Barbarian God, and castle chef, Oinkiny, also attends, along with a good handful of retainers for every party present other than yourself.

The meeting starts off well enough. Between a god, a former god, a pirate lord, and a Nightcharm Dark Mage, the Commander-in-Chief is easily bullied into going along with your plan, the the discussion moves along to specifics about the operation. It is at this point, disaster strikes:

One of the pirates, who was suposidly attached to Meltip, leaps onto the negotiation table and yells out "This is what happens when you stand up WILD RED on a contract!"

He then reaches into his vest. You, along with nearly everybody else at the meeting, attempt to tackle the interruption, but it is already to late; All he had to do was pull a cord in his pocket.

A generous amount of explosives, concealed in the assassin's clothes, detonates with a mighty roar. You are thrown backwards, briefly stunned but otherwise unharmed. Oinkiny suffers a familiar fate, but is also moderately wounded. Everybody else in the room, your supporters and the archetypes of your present and future grand schemes, is killed almost instantly.

Natural 100 Ultimate Critical Fail!
Commander-in-Chief Gordon Lionspaw has been slain!
Pirate Lord Meltip the Indecent has been slain!
Lord Ryder Infelix has been slain!
General Tobbin Nightcharm has been slain!
Each of these deaths likely carries major consequences for the mortals on the island...
The forces behind this travesty are not finished acting... See Tulwor's Turn and the NPC report...

Distraught, you head down to the beach, and inform Tulwor, who is busy rallying the troops, of what just happened, and wander out into the jungle. You tell yourself that you just need time to process what just happened, regroup, and clear your mind.

After a few hours of wandering, you are finally able to direct your attention to botany. None of the terrestrial plants you encounter early on seem likely to be capable of causing nightmares, so, seeing as the dream shows the plant matter floating anyway, you decide to check out the river. Nothing you find at the water seems too suspect either, but when you bend over to examine a particularly pretty and interesting looking weed on the river's edge, something terrifying happens!

You feel something. Almost as if something extremely heavy, but not entirely present in reality, is sitting on top of you. Something in your eyes and brain register movement, but you do not see anything overtly move. Then a horrifying feeling washes over you! You feel something reach into your very essence and being, and begin to muck around!

Critical Fail! You have been engauged in combat by an unknown force or entity with an unknown goal that involves changing or transmuting you! Your combat options are attempt to flee, attempt to kill your attacker, or surrender to whatever fate it has in store for you!

Auratus:

Deciding to work slowly, you begin to craft the mirrors yet again. This time, you try to keep most of the power in your singular gold mirror, while allowing the rest only a small spark to draw from the golden 'hub'. Counter-intuitively, this proves even harder than what you had attempted on the beach with Lord Riptide, and by the time you have exausted your supply of divine energy, all you have is a handful of beautiful yet useless trinkets.

Noting the weakening prayer, you begin set off for the mainland and decide to hunt down the merchant Haze. Asking around town, you find that he is doing business, and traveling among the various jungle farms outside of town. You set off, and spend a few good weeks trying to track down the object of your ire; You manage to get close several times, missing him by a matter of days, or even hours, but nobody knows where he is going next, and the poorly defined jungle paths and thick jungle canopy make it impossible to track a traveler from above as you usually might.

Eventually, you give up, and decide to wait outside of the Merchant's manor in Kiatown. You don't have to wait long, to be acknowledge at least, as fifteen minutes after you show up, a rather timid servant approaches you, and announces that the mistress of the house doesn't expect Haze to be back for another week or so, at the very soonest, but that she has invited you to come inside, so that you might settle whatever business you might have with her instead, or at the very least so that a god does not have to wait in the street.

---

After your visit to Haze's house, you chart a course to Selma's Gate, and attempt to visit your shrine. You find the city under your protection in a state of chaos. It would seem that Wild Red has had Meltip killed, and her fleet is in disarray. Some of her former captains fight with one another to try and establish a new fleet, some loot the town for their own personal gain, and some have defected to their lord's killer. To make matters worse, a Basilisk, whom some claim to be Meltip's widower, has taken to attacking the town and preying on its inhabitants. Some pirates claim that it is singling out Wild Red's men, while others assert that the dumb beast couldn't possibly be clever enough to understand the situation, much less seek revenge, and that it is merely killing for pleasure and survival.

You find your temple guards fighting busy hunting down the remnants of band of looters who they had just repelled from the shrine. Canvas herself is leading the hunt, and it is clear she has no time to talk. You consider tagging along for the search effort, but decide that with your divine powers depleted, you might end up getting hurt, or worse, appearing useless. After quickly confirming with the pirate herald that the situation is more or less under control, you depart from the town quickly, lest anybody asks you to help while you are not ready.

Ketemos:

Materializing a small and almost circular piece of cut gem, you create the Shifter's eye, a device with the ability to grant a minor boon of blinking to a mortal touched by it. The minor and temporary nature of this blessing make it rather easy to produce; You finish in a matter of hours, and then set about on other business, first and foremost of which is finding that earth elementalist.

You travel to Selma's gate, assume your usual disguise, and ask around for Tonk. Eventually you are able to learn that he has been invited to meet with the Pirate Lord Wild Red on his flagship. You head down, and wait by the docks, and eventually the Barbarian elementalist strolls down the gangplank. He takes one look at you, before promptly gesturing for your approach.

"Ah... You would be that one diety of the brown-haired ones that Jak told me to look out for, no? Ketmoses was it? I hear you are looking for an Earth Elementalist."

He gestures to a small but well maintained house just off the docks. "Please, come with me to my home. It would be an honor to host a diety, even if he is not of my people."

Tulwor:

Deciding that without Chell, it will be easier to make your siege engines one sight without your forge, than it would be for you to make them at Newbellum castle and haul them across the sea to the beach, you travel to the camp of the 1st Kiatown Army, and get to work building. After about a week and a half of wandering to the jungle, felling trees, dragging them back, and carving them into seige engines and ammo, that you have vastly improved the odds of a Bellian victory in the upcoming battle.

You then set about spending time with the troops, building their spirits, and encouraging them to do their best in the upcoming battle. This proves effective, and moral in the camp rises. When word begins to spread that the former barbarian god of feasts will be cooking a meal shortly before the fight is to begin, moral in camp shoots through the roof.

Oinkiny and Pyrite arrive on the island, and head to Kiatown for a strategy meeting. To the best of your understanding, as soon as the meeting lets out Oinkiny is to prepare and serve his feast, the Pirate Lord Meltip is to bring her boats around, and then the battle is to begin within a matter of days. You decide to remain with the troops at camp, as you already know the plan, and figure them to be better company than a bunch of cowardly officers and pirates.

The meeting seems to be a shortly one, as Pyrite returns not even an hour after he departed. Judging by the look on his face, you know it went poorly, but only when the son of the scorpion opens his mouth and explains what happened, does it truly hit you. It would seem that a rival pirate lord had sent a bomber to the meeting, and that all the ranking mortals involved in the plan had been cut down, and that Oinkiny has been hurt in the blast as well. Needless to say, moral promptly plummets.

Pyrite, clearly effected by what he had witnessed, wanders off into the jungle, and you spend the night with the troops trying to salvage whatever is left of their spirits. When dawn comes, you have made some progress; In fact, a loud minority of the troops support the idea of installing you or one of your champions as dictator of Kiatown, and moving against the Orcs at once, bureaucracy be damned. These big dreams, however, must be put on hold, as first light reveals danger and treachery: It would seem that the rival pirate lord did more than just blow up the mortal leaders; He also stole their plan.

It would seem as if Wild Red has used the cover of Darkness to sail down the coast, pick up some Orcs, and deposit them between your army and the walls of Kiatown. To make matters worse, some of the pirate boats have landed on the beach, and a small but hardened core of pirates, supported by heavy cannon fire from their ships, begins to push forward from the sea.

The 1st Kiatown Army has fallen under fire from three sides, by a combined Orcish/Pirate force, and Tulwor is present for the battle! The enemy seems to have 'Destroy the 1st Kiatown Army' as a goal. The 1st Kiatown army sees no retreat, and has chosen 'Destroy the enemy' as a goal. As their goal doesn't directly relate to Tulwor, he may escape without fail if he wishes, or he may enter combat with the goal of 'destroy the enemy' for free. Additionally, Helmhammer allows you to start combat with a miracle instead of an interaction, so if Tulwor wishes, he may spend his miracle to enter battle with any reasonable goal of his choice!

Ketari:

You head down to the Barker forest, and set to work creating an entirely new form of Barker. By subtracting fangs and claws, and adding larger voice boxes and sensory organs, you create a plant creature capable of serving as a solid watcher for the domain islands. The small patch of forest you reserve for creating these 'Howlers' seems capable of replenishing losses over time, and your original set of howling guards are deployed to each of the domain islands.

+New Improvement: Howler Patch!
+New Improvement: Howlers

Your efforts to create a cloak for yourself prove somewhat less fruitful. You can't quite get any of the Harpy Skulls to split just right, and as you work, frightened birds arrive to give you frightening reports; Not just about the dragon-god, (or dragon gods, as it turns out. There are more than two beings that match the description of dragon god of the Orcs, and the foolish birds are never good at differentiating when reporting on a group of beings), but about the murderous and treacherous plots of the pirate Wild Red, and the various other trouble that your fellow deities are facing. This slow influx of bad news is distracting, and as the month nears a close, it becomes clear that you are not going to be able to produce anything more than a cloak of leaves that radiates with ambient and useless power.

+New Resource (Half Completed Artifact Cloak)

NPC Report:

-Sarah's training goes well this month in the Crucible. She now has a Combat Power of 14, and has learned almost everything that the Crucible can teach her. She is in a state of grace with the will of Tulwor. This state of grace will either protect her once from dying or becoming injured in the Crucible, or grant Tulwor a +50% Success Rate Bonus on one action involving her. She is presently unaware of her daughter's death. [As she is presently stuck in the Crucible, I wont bother adding her to the NPC page until she gets out]
-House Infelix is without a head! 12 Year Old Timothy Infelix seems likely to take over, with Ryder's Widow Chelsea serving as regent, but the Herald Hialarth has expressed interest in seizing this opportunity to unite the holdings of House Infelix with House Wildefair...
-House Lionspaw is also without a head. None of the PCs have enough inroads with the family to have any idea how that is going to play out though.
-With their best framework manager out of the picture, House Nightcharm seems a lot less intimidating. The Nexus has begun to put the squeeze on the island's smallest noble house...
-With both the Commander-in-Chief and one of his most likely sucessors killed in one fell swoop, the military is in disarray...
-The prayer that Commander-in-Chief had up is clearly expired, on account of his death, and the death of the man he feared would succeed him.
-A new pirate fleet has arrived. They seem to have cast their lot with Wild Red, and have set up a naval blockade around Kiatown.
-Corusu's Wing completed its mission, but on its way back to Kiatown spotted the pirate blockade. It promptly changed course, heading in the direction of Volcano, seat of House Skullcrest, where it will likely seek aid.
-Next month is the first month in which Auratus can reasonably expect the Dread Pirates to return from
-With Meltip dead, her fleet has more or less dissolved into a pack of pirate ships that do as they please. If this wasn't bad enough for Selma's Gate, Meltip's Basilisk is also on the loose and rather murdery...
-Pennywise the Golden has taken her fleet and left Selma's Gate in a hurry.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs has handed off a captive to his brother at the Grand Arena.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs has approached his brothers, and tried to talk them into calling off the siege of the Bellians, citing a prophetic dream about genocidal floating bits of plant matter.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs has chided another for the later's rough handling of a fellow dragon.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs has rested to recover from moderate injury.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs has been in communication with the Pirate Lord Wild Red, and has raised a second host to be transported by ship and used to flank the 1st Kiatown Army
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs played host to several powerful aquatic beings, and has courted their aid in present military matters with mixed success.
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs is using a captured Bellian to learn and teach the art of ship-building to the Orcish people
-The birds report that a dragon god of the orcs flew towards Newbellum castle with the intent of meeting Auratus, but that he lost his nerve and turned back halfway.

Newbellum Castle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NPCs and Actors:

Locations and Map:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:09:21 pm by Weirdsound »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 03, 2014, 01:30:48 am »

Flee! Escape mildly fitting tentacle rape and adjustment.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:43 pm »

Pondering it over for a moment, Auratus patience and time was running rather short already – not that he had much of both to begin with. Leaving the mortal a message would have to do. Still, the tone of the message which the servant had mouthed, was either due to lack of knowledge on part of the woman, or bordering on sarcasm. Not that he thought it possible that many mortals would give him as much lip as Ryder had done. " Whatever business, you say? " The dragon snorted in annoyance. " I can't say as much of – his kin, is she? - but Haze himself should be well aware of why I would seek him out. Well then, she shall remind him in my place. Lead me inside! "

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:31 pm »

Pondering it over for a moment, Auratus patience and time was running rather short already – not that he had much of both to begin with. Leaving the mortal a message would have to do. Still, the tone of the message which the servant had mouthed, was either due to lack of knowledge on part of the woman, or bordering on sarcasm. Not that he thought it possible that many mortals would give him as much lip as Ryder had done. " Whatever business, you say? " The dragon snorted in annoyance. " I can't say as much of – his kin, is she? - but Haze himself should be well aware of why I would seek him out. Well then, she shall remind him in my place. Lead me inside! "

"I daresay the whole town knows what business you have with my master." The servant answers, "Perhaps that is why he has decided to make himself scarce, and let the mistress deal with you. I don't suppose she will have you killed, as you do not look susceptible to her usual methods... But still, I guess there is no faulting the courage of the gods now."

You get the distinct feeling that you may be the one lacking knowledge as the servant leads you inside. The house is well decorated, but you are quickly lead down a flight of stairs into a grim and dark basement corridor. At the end is a single wooden door, which the servant opens, and gestures respectfully for you to enter. "The Bellian God Auratus!" He announces.

The room is a large chamber, and almost completely pitch black. Once the door is shut behind you, the only light is from a single candle on a table. Sitting at the table is a young woman, in her late teens or early twenties. She respectfully rises and beckons you to the single empty chair.

Even with your divine vision, it is hard to make out much of the room beyond the table. The floor and walls seem to be covered in thick webs, and the architecture seems to be set up in such a way to be confusing to the few creatures who would be able to see in these low light conditions; It is quite hard to tell exactly how far the walls and ceiling are.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 03, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »

Tulwor's roar rattled the treetops and rushed out to meet the waves. He held Helmhammer high and booming laughter erupted from his throat, carrying out across the ranks of Bellian soldiers forming up across the field. He eyed the enemy hosts; this position was atrocious, from what he knew of strategy, but damned if that didn't make it all just a level more pleasant. He was not a general, but from what he understood, the entire command structure was in disarray. Some devious, infernal machine had blown them to pieces. Grisly and cowardly. He was beginning to see he could expect nothing better from Orcs - and Pirates, it seemed.

He could not help the overwhelming joy and thrill rising in his heart. He had not seen a real battle on the mainland, not felt the vast, violent energy that permeated the ranks around him. A thousand voices and a thousand stomping feet surrounded him in their most beautiful of symphonies. Determination born out of desperation clung to the men, drove them into action. It was quite unlike anything else he had ever experienced. Tulwor loved it with all his heart. He would learn more of death here than in any of Father's lectures, he thought.

'Men of Bellia! Into this horde! Break on through to the other side and push for the city!' he boomed, his blood pounding in his ears. 'Form up and advance! Hold steady, mortals! Siege engines in the center. Clear a path through this rabble and sink those cowards' ships! This is what you were born for!'

He leapt down from his vantage point. The walls of Kiatown stood ahead. There would be the garrison to assist them and send these wretches fleeing - or they would be slaughtered against the walls. What did it matter? The time was for blood - no battle had been won by mere planning. Tulwor shifted Helmhammer in his hands. He could taste blood on the air.

---

Helmhammer-granted goal, if possible: Tulwor attempts to lead the army to Kiatown for possible aid from the garrison and a better position. The enemy is still to be crushed, of course.

If the army can't be assigned another goal, Tulwor will fight alongside them to defeat the enemy.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 03, 2014, 02:42:09 pm »

What ominous words – it would seem Haze' rise was not only due to his own methods, but also supported by this woman in front of him. Something was clearly not right here, but the dragon had no intention of backing down now seeing as his pride would not allow him to let himself be humiliated twice. He decided to play along for now, putting on the charade of knowing who he had in front of him. Still, to that end he would be a bit less forceful than he normally liked to be. Sending the woman a slight, sombre smile, he took the seat offered to him. " A pleasure to make your acquaintance.. is what I would like to say, but we both know I have not come here to exchange pleasantries. I say we do away with the niceties, and discuss the matter at hand instead. " Waiting for his answer, he eyed the woman with some wariness, trying to gauge just what kind of being she was to justify the words of her servant – or what kind of powers were at her command to such ends.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 03, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »

What ominous words – it would seem Haze' rise was not only due to his own methods, but also supported by this woman in front of him. Something was clearly not right here, but the dragon had no intention of backing down now seeing as his pride would not allow him to let himself be humiliated twice. He decided to play along for now, putting on the charade of knowing who he had in front of him. Still, to that end he would be a bit less forceful than he normally liked to be. Sending the woman a slight, sombre smile, he took the seat offered to him. " A pleasure to make your acquaintance.. is what I would like to say, but we both know I have not come here to exchange pleasantries. I say we do away with the niceties, and discuss the matter at hand instead. " Waiting for his answer, he eyed the woman with some wariness, trying to gauge just what kind of being she was to justify the words of her servant – or what kind of powers were at her command to such ends.

A quick glance at the woman tells you that indeed, something is off about her. Her eyes are pure while, lacking pupil and iris; Exactly like Pyrite's. Her words, however, confirm that she might not be the person to be afraid of here...

"Very well. My name is Anne Haze. I will be interpreting for my mother today."

No sooner does the realization that something else is in the room with you sink in, than does said 'something else' chooses to assert itself. "You can return to your chambers, Anne. The dragon is speaking in tounges. I can deal with it myself."

The untranslated sound of the voice leads you to believe you are speaking with some sort of mega-arachnid; Distant kin to black Carapace, and a race, not unlike your own, more or less destroyed in Bellian lands. Where the voice is coming from is another matter entirely; The room seems to be designed to confuse the auditory senses as much as the visual ones. It could be anywhere on the walls or ceiling, bouncing its voice off the walls.

The girl rises to leave, and seemingly vanishes into the webbing on the wall oppisite of where you entered; it is likely that this is not the only room in Haze's basement. Once she is gone, her mother returns to the task at hand.

"You are young for a dragon. Much less a god. But I shall hear you out nonetheless. What charges do you level against my pet Bellian? And for that matter, what god of riches sides with the farmer over the merchant?" You get the feeling that whatever respect is to be acquired here, must be earned.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 39