Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39

Author Topic: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread  (Read 51814 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of the Young Gods: Game Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2014, 06:00:07 pm »

Patches

"That said, your people should consider more open relations with us Bellians. I believe some mutual cooperation would be preferable than the current state. I'm sure that trade between our two peoples would be beneficial to us all. Of course, I could be completely out of touch and you could already be trading with us. Are you?"

Faction Speakers

"Hmm...regardless, I'll have to do something. In the meantime, could you spread the word of my invention to my followers? Perhaps they can rig up some Gates that others would emulate..."

With that said, Ketemos engaged in some small talk with his honoured guests, before leaving their company, unless of course they had important questions that needed to be answered.

Mikkia

"Interesting. How did you end up working for your current employer...Mr Haze if I recall?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »

-----

Ketari had neatly stacked the bones of the eaten harpy warrior in the corner of the room, the skull grinning in the shadows. She had the next harpy brought in.
"Hello, little winged one. I am Ketari, the Eater of Birds, but I am also a listener of secrets. Tell me, what do you know of your goddesses?" She grinned. "Unless, of course, you do not wish to talk. Then I can consume you liek the first. Ah, she squealed delightfully at each bite, yes?"

The harpy hesitates briefly, as if perhaps the ideals and values brought about by its sentience might be enough to outweigh its survival instinct, but after a long moment, it begins speaking.

"The one whoes domain you attacked is Illith, of Birth, Death, Desperation, and the End of the World. She watches over the two final eggs, one of which your monsters stole while she was attending to the funeral of a fallen princess."

The Harpy clicks her beak, and puts on a show of bravado. "Do not think she is weak. The sky belongs to us, so we have had no reason to prepare against fliers for some time. She will not, however, be caught off guard a second time. Now then, Is that enough information to buy my life? Or at least a more pleasant death than the one you gave my sister?"

When you ask him to look into Wild Red's armor, Rook nods. "I'm sure I'll have a chance to talk to him. What about the armor do you wish for me to find out?"

Asking for the information? No, that won't do. If what the dragon thought possible should have an inkling of truth, chances were that Wild Red was not likely to give out the truth that easily. Nor, on account of that odd chance, the armour itself. " I am more interested about what others have to say about his conduct while wearing that armour, than what he would give away about it. There just might be more to the whole matter than a mortal easily can deduce. To name my suspicion, it might not be him who is a bit strange, but his armour instead. " He shrugged. It truly might not be more than his imagination, but if not, there were certain possibilities that he would be loathe to ignore. " Try to be subtle about it if you can, but if that fails and he should get wind of it, feel free to tell him the truth about the matter. "

He looks into the eyes of his new deity, and takes a knee to lower himself beneath them. "I will need then either the raw power, or a clever scheme, to simply take what you want. Either way, I doubt it can be done with the resources I presently have available. I didn't expect, however, the task to earn my race a new god to be a quick or easy one. If I am granted time to gather strength, and opportunity to earn boons from my new master, I assure you that what you ask can be done."

Actually, Auratus was a bit delighted by Rooks answer. For all he knew about gargoyles, leaking the secret of their creation might have been some sort of taboo or sacrilege. Since the pirate before him seemingly had no such qualms about the whole matter, that did not seem to be the case. He actually had not thought that much about what he would have them do instead, but as it was now a moot point, there was no reason to dwell on it either. Instead he nodded at the gargoyle, and spoke out;

" I will leave the matter to your devices, but remind yourself that, if successful, it will be an endeavour which will be retold by your kin for a long time afterwards. " He smiled wrily.  " If you resort to blunt violence, some of the gargoyles might curse your name for centuries to come. " More importantly, needless killings could also deter many of them coming to appreciate this new god of theirs. Heavy-handed would be fine, but Auratus decided to not bother further with this far off matter for now.

" Well, before long, you should have ample chances to prove yourself. While soon enough sailing under my flag should become a boon in itself when docking in Selma's Gate, I am unsure if the current situation will easily allow me to strengthen your fleet before you depart – which you may do as it pleases you, lest your extended stay here continues to weakens you. Else, should you desire favours from me, they can easily be arranged with continued loyalty, gifts of wealth, artefacts and the retrieval of draconic remains from wretched hands. As for conduct, I am sure you will be pleased that in contrast to many of the gods, I won't force any unreasonable conditions on you. Just don't bring harm upon others that further my cause, those which I benefit from, don't bring shame unto my name, and try not to stir up unnecessary trouble for me. I have no doubts that this much is within your capabilities. "

Rook Smirks, "If you suspect the armor to be alive, that will be tough to prove. To the best of my understanding, he openly claims that it is... which complicates things as the one investigating must be able to tell truth from potential facade."

The Gargoyle gazes upward at the Dragon God's warning. "The Searocs were commissioned years ago, when a plague devastated Queen Selma's fleet shortly before she was ready to attack the dread pirates at Corusu's eye. We were made as disposable troops to fill in for the dead, and abandoned shortly after her victory. Because we were created for siege and destruction, we were forbidden form worshiping our father Clammor who loves defense and construction. Because we were built for the water, our typical kin who, sink like stones, resented us. Because we were built without flight, we resented our kin in return. Because we were made on the whims of an outsider, we were outsiders and sellouts before we even existed. My rest will not be disturbed if I must be hated at one Gargoyle Enclave to bring a new god to the others."

When you bring up the few restrictions you intend to place on his conduct the Gargoyle nods. "The only potential issue would be with the Dread Pirates, as they are unable to forgive my role in their downfall, but at least for now I know where they are and can easily avoid them. Even if you have warned Scion against harming me, I would suspect that until the other two meet you, they would by no means consider themselves in anyway bound to your rules... I doubt I will bring you any other trouble until I am ready to retrieve the secret as per your demands, and even then, most Gargoyles fear the sea and wouldn't dream of pursuing naval warfare. As for my departure, I think I shall do that as soon as I am able. Not sure where I'd be going, other than 'not towards Volcano'. I'll talk to Pennywise first, and tell her where I am going, so on the off chance you care to inquire about my whereabouts somebody will know. She is in charge of the fleet that flies the treasure cauldron, and used to be first officer on my own flagship, so I trust her as much as one pirate may trust another..."

"That said, your people should consider more open relations with us Bellians. I believe some mutual cooperation would be preferable than the current state. I'm sure that trade between our two peoples would be beneficial to us all. Of course, I could be completely out of touch and you could already be trading with us. Are you?"

The foreign goddess shakes her head with an expression somewhere between sorrow and exasperation. "I'm afraid the bulk of my people are trapped under the mountains by a massive Harpy siege effort. I was able to make it to Kiatown by merit of my divine might and inconspicuous appearance, and build a small contingent of supporters, but any large trading convoy would be ripped to shreds by the she-birds. That said, I have divine power and a good handful of beasts at my disposal, so even if my people cannot trade with yours, I can trade favors with their gods."

Patches extends an open hand to you. "Perhaps it is a bit much to ask trust and friendship from an alien Pantheon, but I do feel we are both in need of outside support. If there is any small favor or boon you might need, I would gladly offer my services to establish good will between our people."

"Hmm...regardless, I'll have to do something. In the meantime, could you spread the word of my invention to my followers? Perhaps they can rig up some Gates that others would emulate..."

"Of course," the princess agrees with a bow, "if you would be so kind as to produce some design documents, I will see that the Nexus will get about to installing the Nexus."

The other two faction representatives promise to bring the issue up to the correct person, and seem optimistic that their respective parties will put in at least a token effort towards installing the gates.

"Interesting. How did you end up working for your current employer...Mr Haze if I recall?"

The poet offers you a slight shrug. "My father imports food to the island using Haze as a middleman, and they are fairly good friends even outside of the business world. When it became clear that I had interest and skill in the arts, he volunteered to be my chief patron."

"She has been worth every coin I've given her," Haze chimes in, "and if this new epic of hers proves successful, I may send her and her husband back to the mainland to whip up support for the island cause among the various trade guilds there."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2014, 03:38:54 pm »

"Fine, fine. I'll leave the egg. Maybe raise a chick of my own, yes? I'll have it eat it's own kind, ha ha!"

Ketari looked at Pyrite curiously.

"In truth, I know little of you, Pyrite. Why did you come to this island? I heard you also feel the hungers, churning in your guts, but not for the feathered, no. Maybe we are alike in that."

----

Ah, wonderful secrets! Ketari was a glutton for more than birdmeat. With a casual gesture of her slender limbs, she dislocated one of the harpy's limbs, bringing the wingtip to her delicately pointed teeth, and snipped off the end with a light bite. Blood splurted."Shhh, shhh. How many gods? What are they? What are the eggs? I would like to know what I eat." She grinned, teeth sharp, leaving the harpy unsure if she referred to the eggs or the harpy goddesses. "And what's your name, little meal? Ah, your death may be pleasant, or even delayed, if you talk well. Maybe even release you."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »

Ah, wonderful secrets! Ketari was a glutton for more than birdmeat. With a casual gesture of her slender limbs, she dislocated one of the harpy's limbs, bringing the wingtip to her delicately pointed teeth, and snipped off the end with a light bite. Blood splurted."Shhh, shhh. How many gods? What are they? What are the eggs? I would like to know what I eat." She grinned, teeth sharp, leaving the harpy unsure if she referred to the eggs or the harpy goddesses. "And what's your name, little meal? Ah, your death may be pleasant, or even delayed, if you talk well. Maybe even release you."

The harpy winces at your torments, but puts on a pretty good show of stoically enduring her punishment. You can't help but be a bit impressed, but then again, the last one was able to keep some composure until you started ripping out non-vital organs.

"My name is Ketrin... and to delay my death would be to make it less pleasant. Extended captivity and servitude to a god other than my own would be only slightly less tortourous than what you did to my sister."

The bird woman lets out a shrill wistle, an expression of fear and submission, before answering your questions. "Macawina, our creator and queen goddess, was once of a larger, stronger, and dumber race of Harpy in a far off land. She took a mighty lover, who elevated her to godhood... the nature and eventual fate of that being who made her divine are never discussed in our lore. She came here, and created our race. She uplifted our goddesses Swanrie, Blanche, and Kestis from the ranks for mortal queens and heroines, and hatched the Goddess Illith and our sole god Finch herself, using seed stolen from the divine chimera she emasculated as stud."

She closes her eyes and shudders, before raising the tip of her other wing to your mouth, perhaps to save you the trouble of dislocating it. "The Final Eggs are Harpykind's ultimate expression of desperation. Illith watches over them, and may hatch one at our darkest hour. One is said to birth a mighty winged beast who will consume all sentient beings save for one divine Harpy, who will become its mate and repopulate our race. The other contains a large, perhaps even infinite, flock of birds; The flesh of this flock is poison, and its droppings will salt the earth so plants may no longer grow. They will eat all that is green or small and squirmy, and the balance of life will collapse on the island, or perhaps even on the whole world, so that any victory of one who seeks to end the Harpies will be a hollow one."

Then, bravely, she raises her neck so that it is tantalizingly close to your hungry maw, so as to make her jugular vein prominent and visible. "...Only Illith herself knows which egg is which," she whispers into your ear.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

"Fine, fine. I'll leave the egg. Maybe raise a chick of my own, yes? I'll have it eat it's own kind, ha ha!"

Ketari looked at Pyrite curiously.

"In truth, I know little of you, Pyrite. Why did you come to this island? I heard you also feel the hungers, churning in your guts, but not for the feathered, no. Maybe we are alike in that."
"Ha, there you go!" he responded to her suggestion of rearing a chick. Crisis hopefully averted, and having an adopted daughter to hunt and feast alongside her would probably give her more joy than eating it in any case.

"As for why I came to the island... officially, my mother sent me to learn the secrets of brotherhood. However, she warned me that..." He paused for a moment to glance around, as though making sure they were alone. "Well, I think I have a different hunger than you, Ketari. Yes, I enjoy flesh; it's delicious, and the hunt is fun. But at some point I became curious about it. I began hungering for its secrets, not just its flavor or touch."

He thought for a moment, looking unusually serious.

"I want to improve mortals... and I take my role as a god unusually seriously, I think. Mother warned me that the others might not be so concerned with their followers as myself and my brother Ketemos. I like your brother, and I respect your hunger, but I suspect neither of you have the same interest and concern in mortals as we do."

He made a motion that could have been rolling his eyes, though without pupils it was hard to tell.

"And of course the dragon is no doubt 'concerned,' but in a rather more mechanical fashion. He wants power, the spawn of Fletchtania want to be as they are, and the spawn of Telen want to improve and assist mortalkind. At least, that is how it seems to me."

He smiled.

"So now you know a little more about me, and why I say that I don't think we are quite the same. Your hunger for birds reminds me of my hunger for knowledge more than my hunger for mortals. Perhaps you're just more passionate about it, however," he finished with a laugh. "I do wonder if you'll ever find another purpose."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »

Patches

"I'd readily take your offer but the problems we currently have are much more than a small boon...what I'm going to ask you is a bit more than that. I've heard of man named Hugoth; his livelihood has been destroyed by a certain merchant who I should not name...He asked for vengeance but I feel that would only cause more conflict. Perhaps it would be possible for you to help this man get back on his feet? Perhaps you could protect him from further harm and a provide a new profession? I'm sure your people know many things that mine do not. I'd be in your debt if you could help this man and tell him that the Sons of Telen and yourself help those who need it. "

Waiting to see if Patches would agree to the request, Ketemos made a mental note to inform the others about this goddess once the meeting was over.

Mikkia/Haze

Noticing the man for the first time, Ketemos responded to his idea.

"That would be...dangerous Mr. Haze. I doubt she'd get too far without some repercussions. Regardless, she is under your pay and Mikkia may do what she wants to keep that pay."

But of course, Ketemos also knew what the man had done...such actions were despicable to him and needed to be reprimanded. He did not know if a single threat could do anything to a man such as Haze but he would try and suffer the consequences later.

"But enough of that. I have business to attend to...although I must warn you before I leave. The gods are watching Mr. Haze. It would be best if you were to redeem yourself for your sins soon for I know Glaciana's realm is not pleasant, especially for those who have harmed the pious and meek..."

Not letting the merchant speak or respond, Ketemos melded into the crowds, letting him process the god's words.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:04:38 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »

Patches

"I'd readily take your offer but the problems we currently have are much more than a small boon...what I'm going to ask you is a bit more than that. I've heard of man named Hugoth; his livelihood has been destroyed by a certain merchant who I should not name...He asked for vengeance but I feel that would only cause more conflict. Perhaps it would be possible for you to help this man get back on his feet? Perhaps you could protect him from further harm and a provide a new profession? I'm sure your people know many things that mine do not. I'd be in your debt if you could help this man and tell him that the Sons of Telen and yourself help those who need it. "

Waiting to see if Patches would agree to the request, Ketemos made a mental note to inform the others about this goddess once the meeting was over.

Patches ponders the request briefly, and nods. "That I can do. I shall manufacture a new crop for him, one that grows quickly, and should sell very well. I will even assign one of my creations to watch his farm in case of further trouble..."

The Goddess then goes to her pocket, and produces two small orange wafers that seem to made out of something organic. "These are keys to my Fleshworks below Kiatown, if you wish to visit me, or use my facilities, simply a small amount of divine energy to bind this to your skin, and show it to the runed door beneath the fish packing district. The door only opens for Chimeric flesh, so as long as you just a bit attached to you, you should have no trouble getting in."

It is unlikely these 'keys' are a trap, as the tiny amount of supernatural energy you detect on them is almost definitely a byproduct of their creation. "I'm sorry I only have two, I didn't have a whole lot of time to prepare for this meeting..."

+New Improvement Discovered in Kiatown
+Greater Artifact: Chimeric Key x2

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:40 am »

"And I wouldn't have expected you to. Regardless, I hope that this is the start of a long and mutual relationship Patches, I really hope it is."

Finished with negotiations, Ketemos descended into small talk with Patches as well as a few of the others gathered, hearing a few more answers about his Question before ending the meeting.

---

You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2014, 01:03:24 am »

Pyrite was in a slightly foul mood as he stalked through Newbellum's halls. All of this prophecy business was weighing on him, there were new faces he was too busy to investigate, and now he had business with an eccentric priest over obnoxious mortals. Wonderful...

"Dennis?" he called out, wondering where the cripple had gotten himself this time. He really didn't understand the man's obsession with starving to death, but he understood it meant he was probably going to have to do the walking. "I require your counsel, priest!"
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:00 pm »

Pyrite was in a slightly foul mood as he stalked through Newbellum's halls. All of this prophecy business was weighing on him, there were new faces he was too busy to investigate, and now he had business with an eccentric priest over obnoxious mortals. Wonderful...

"Dennis?" he called out, wondering where the cripple had gotten himself this time. He really didn't understand the man's obsession with starving to death, but he understood it meant he was probably going to have to do the walking. "I require your counsel, priest!"

The vampire is found on the small observation deck overlooking the crucible, watching Sarah dodge her way across some wooden spike traps. He leans heavily on his walking stick, and makes a few mumbling comments about the human's technique before noticing you.

"What counsel do you require Lord Pyrite?" He asks, not taking his eyes off the performance before him.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2014, 01:35:36 pm »

Rook Smirks, "If you suspect the armor to be alive, that will be tough to prove. To the best of my understanding, he openly claims that it is... which complicates things as the one investigating must be able to tell truth from potential facade."

Auratus laughed out. " Does he now? I agree, that complicates things a fair bit. Seeing his flag, I dare to make an educated guess at what kind of being should inhibit the armour, if the matter proves to be truth. " He furrowed his brow in thought. Could the infidel who worked that armour truly had the power to bind the slain dragons soul to it? If so, for what reasons? It would really seem that leaving the task of investigation to one with neither magic nor divine abilities would not make for good results, and thus he told the gargoyle as much. " It seems to gain the answer I seek, mundane means might not be the best choice. Unless you know of someone in this city who would be able to divine the truth, and would be willing to do so, I guess I myself will have to take care of it. If you can gather some more information about the matter, feel free to do so. Else it might do you better if you were to concentrate on your own tasks and duties instead. "

The Gargoyle gazes upward at the Dragon God's warning. "The Searocs were commissioned years ago, when a plague devastated Queen Selma's fleet shortly before she was ready to attack the dread pirates at Corusu's eye. We were made as disposable troops to fill in for the dead, and abandoned shortly after her victory. Because we were created for siege and destruction, we were forbidden form worshiping our father Clammor who loves defense and construction. Because we were built for the water, our typical kin who, sink like stones, resented us. Because we were built without flight, we resented our kin in return. Because we were made on the whims of an outsider, we were outsiders and sellouts before we even existed. My rest will not be disturbed if I must be hated at one Gargoyle Enclave to bring a new god to the others."

While the dragon had noticed the gargoyle to be built in an unusual way, he had dismissed it as unimportant until now. He had mused the thought of gaining wide-spread worship among these beings of stone, but at worst only gaining some of their outcasts was not that bad either. Their low numbers should easily be tided over by their greater fervour towards him. Yes, he decided, this dealing still had much untapped promise.

" Hah! What a fitting task indeed. Feel free to show your flying kin all the resentment you have in store for them, even to the point that they will liken it to my own wrath - if it would please you to do so, that is. " Auratus stroked his chin, but mainly did so for effect, already decided that sicking and pitting Clammors own creations against him was most delicious and entertaining. Had he wanted Rook to succeed prior to knowing of these circumstances, he wanted it ever more so now. " Allow me to ease your burden then, and if I do so only for a bit. Any of your kin that swear fealty to you and your cause, will also be allowed to worship me. Be reminded that it will only be so temporarily, and going about it too openly might have your other brethren prepared for any schemes or hostilities you would bring to their door-step. Still, I am sure that you should be able to get some use out of this arrangement. "

When you bring up the few restrictions you intend to place on his conduct the Gargoyle nods. "The only potential issue would be with the Dread Pirates, as they are unable to forgive my role in their downfall, but at least for now I know where they are and can easily avoid them. Even if you have warned Scion against harming me, I would suspect that until the other two meet you, they would by no means consider themselves in anyway bound to your rules... I doubt I will bring you any other trouble until I am ready to retrieve the secret as per your demands, and even then, most Gargoyles fear the sea and wouldn't dream of pursuing naval warfare. As for my departure, I think I shall do that as soon as I am able. Not sure where I'd be going, other than 'not towards Volcano'. I'll talk to Pennywise first, and tell her where I am going, so on the off chance you care to inquire about my whereabouts somebody will know. She is in charge of the fleet that flies the treasure cauldron, and used to be first officer on my own flagship, so I trust her as much as one pirate may trust another..."

As ambitious as the dragons plans were, he was still far from posing a real threat towards any of the pirate factions. Soon flying his flag should divert most hostilities from any fleets doing so, but until then he – and those that would be willing to serve him – would have to bide their time.

" The dread pirates would do good to heed my warning! " He bellowed, decreasing in volume before speaking further. " Even then, before long they will not be able to do harm to you or your fleet lightly, and know that even now it would not stay without consequences for them. Still, treading lightly for the time being might be the right idea. "

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

Pyrite raised an eyebrow.

"Interested by her training?

Mm, but I require your counsel in Divine matters. There's a mortal who prayed for aid, seeking a sign that some god still protected his people. His people being men who bed men and women who bed women. I tried to organize a festival, you may have heard about it, and it seemed to work... but it wasn't good enough for him. He wanted an explicit sign that they've got a god all to themselves."

He shrugged.

"I don't think that's going to happen, the festival was a complete success in other ways, and he'd offended me slightly. Now I'm not sure whether to write his request off as reasonable but unlikely, try to compromise by giving one of them the power to protect themselves, compromise spitefully by warping one of them into a monster with the power to protect themselves, send him a dream mocking his supposed difficulties and solution, or call him an ungrateful coward to his face.

I really don't know what's reasonable in this case."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:36 pm »

Ketari wasn't sure whether prey that moved itself to her mouth was good or not. She nibbled on the harpy's neck almost like a lover, not hard enough to break the skin, while she thought of questions. She wanted to talk. She wanted to eat. The taste of blood was sweet in her mouth from biting off the wingtip.

Focus, or she'd devour them all and have no more secrets to show for it. This egg seems dangerous. A endless flock of birds? Vile, vile, especially if their flesh was poison. She could take most venoms without flinching that would kill a mortal, but such a apocalyptic nectar might be too much for her, and having all her prey murdered by something out of her control was no fun at all. The other gods would probably be unhappy as well, and Tulwor was blood of her blood. Mother would be angry if she let him die. Hmm. Her mother's wrath was something she'd feared as a child, and it had carried on to the adulthood of the tempermental goddess.

"Where are these eggs - the remaining egg anyway, yes? - keep, and where are they likely to be moved. Too dangerous to let birds have them, wouldn't you say? Do you harpies have a city, or do your flocks roam? Tell me of your race, Ketrin. Yours were driven from my land long ago, and I came here to seek you out. Which of your gods is weakest, that I might devour with the greatest ease? Whisper your secrets, little meal."

She considered crippling the harpy and letting it go to spread fear of her among the harpies, but decided a confused prey was better than a prepared, fearful one. 

-----

"Ha, there you go!" he responded to her suggestion of rearing a chick. Crisis hopefully averted, and having an adopted daughter to hunt and feast alongside her would probably give her more joy than eating it in any case.

"As for why I came to the island... officially, my mother sent me to learn the secrets of brotherhood. However, she warned me that..." He paused for a moment to glance around, as though making sure they were alone. "Well, I think I have a different hunger than you, Ketari. Yes, I enjoy flesh; it's delicious, and the hunt is fun. But at some point I became curious about it. I began hungering for its secrets, not just its flavor or touch."

He thought for a moment, looking unusually serious.

"I want to improve mortals... and I take my role as a god unusually seriously, I think. Mother warned me that the others might not be so concerned with their followers as myself and my brother Ketemos. I like your brother, and I respect your hunger, but I suspect neither of you have the same interest and concern in mortals as we do."

He made a motion that could have been rolling his eyes, though without pupils it was hard to tell.

"And of course the dragon is no doubt 'concerned,' but in a rather more mechanical fashion. He wants power, the spawn of Fletchtania want to be as they are, and the spawn of Telen want to improve and assist mortalkind. At least, that is how it seems to me."

He smiled.

"So now you know a little more about me, and why I say that I don't think we are quite the same. Your hunger for birds reminds me of my hunger for knowledge more than my hunger for mortals. Perhaps you're just more passionate about it, however," he finished with a laugh. "I do wonder if you'll ever find another purpose."

Ketari hummed thoughtfully.

"To eat was always my purpose, right from the thoughts of my birth. I am born of hate and hunger, yes - though I suppose I collect secrets as my toll, and they interest me as well. I care not what makes a bird fly though, merely that it does, and is the more loathsome for it."

She laughed. "I am closer to monster than god, it could be said, though I can't say I've ever eaten a mortal that didn't have wings."
She thought for a second.

"I can't say I've eaten anything that didn't have wings."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2014, 04:15:07 pm »

Ketari hummed thoughtfully.

"To eat was always my purpose, right from the thoughts of my birth. I am born of hate and hunger, yes - though I suppose I collect secrets as my toll, and they interest me as well. I care not what makes a bird fly though, merely that it does, and is the more loathsome for it."

She laughed. "I am closer to monster than god, it could be said, though I can't say I've ever eaten a mortal that didn't have wings."
She thought for a second.

"I can't say I've eaten anything that didn't have wings."
"Really?" Pyrite's eyes widened in mild surprise, and he gave a thoughtful hum. "I wonder if you should try? You might like something else..."

He tilted his head in thought for a few moments.

"Say, what's the difference between a bird and not-bird? Would you still want to eat a wingless bird or a winged fish?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »

Ketari chuckled. "Having never seen a flying fish or wingless bird, I couldn't say. I suppose feathers. My feeligns are conflicted about the dragon, as it is a winged being, but a lizard as well as bird.

None-birds have never occurred to me to eat, just as you would not eat a stone or a plant. I guess I could try them, yes."
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 39