Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1772136 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Unlimited Laugh Works
« Reply #11520 on: January 23, 2021, 05:20:50 pm »

I'm personally more inclined towards wizard nuclear programs, but I've always had a soft spot for arcane casters.

The backstab multiplier on a nuke is nothing to scoff at though, not gonna lie.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:19 am »

I'm personally more inclined towards wizard nuclear programs, but I've always had a soft spot for arcane casters.

The backstab multiplier on a nuke is nothing to scoff at though, not gonna lie.

the DPS on Castle Bravo is too OP please nerf

and when they removed Tsar Bomba it ruined my whole build
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: January 26, 2021, 10:34:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not only is the stock market special gambling set up where the rich companies who have better connections will always get there first to make more money, it's also very stupid in other ways. Just a bunch of idiots accidentally manipulating stock prices as a joke.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: January 26, 2021, 11:17:32 am »

I literally posted a week ago or something about the greatness of the unique flavor that is r/wallstreetbets. It is very amusing.

The subreddit r/wallstreetbets has an interesting type of humor. It’s so innovative it’s kind of hard to describe. Like doing something ironically and unironically at the same time. Like doing something idiotic while being fully aware of the idiocy.  Like the way 4chan calls itself autism but at the same time also putting real money into it in a grand act of yolo.

(long live papa elon)
(invest in $PRTP, the ultimate meme stock)

They also have a pretty big influence on the market, to the point where an alleged CCP infiltrator was discovered on the sub. I think across all their members they're equivalent to like a billion-dollar investment conglomerate, especially given their tendency to align themselves with each other.

Which makes me wonder, is r/wallstreetbets an important tool of us working folk? The one billionaire which is on our side in the class divide?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:28:07 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: January 26, 2021, 12:49:34 pm »

Not only is the stock market special gambling set up where the rich companies who have better connections will always get there first to make more money,
Freakin' this.  It boggles my mind that normal everyday people ever willingly participate in the stock market.  It's gambling *at best* unless you think you're smarter than the professionals, and that's if it isn't rigged (which it is, and we constantly hear about it). 

But gambling has always been the vice which passed me over, for whatever reason.  Just lucky I guess.

(Low-risk retirement investments for dodging inflation are fine, of course.  Except when they aren't)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11525 on: January 26, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone's mad they're gonna have to purchase 9.1 billion dollars of dog shit

*EDIT
Lmao I can't believe they got bailed out 3 billion and then used the bailout money to short even more, fool me twice apparently
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:52:59 pm by Loud Whispers »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: January 26, 2021, 04:05:06 pm »

Lmao I can't believe they got bailed out 3 billion and then used the bailout money to short even more, fool me twice apparently
Every fucking time.  Where is that "risk" the capitalists always whine about taking on?  This does not bring me joy
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11527 on: January 26, 2021, 04:14:08 pm »

Every fucking time.  Where is that "risk" the capitalists always whine about taking on?  This does not bring me joy
Turns out I got the decimal wrong, it wasn't 9.1 billion it was 91 billion

Well that is the total losses which the investors attribute to other shit but the meme is gud

*EDIT
To quote some random on the internet:
"absolutely ridiculous lol. How did we get to the point of so blatantly living in a clown world?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 04:24:31 pm by Loud Whispers »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: January 27, 2021, 02:13:22 am »

I can feel the fomo scratching at the back of my skull but there's no way I'm touching this with a ten foot pole.  They've ripped off hedge funds for billions (would be interesting to see how much redditors made off of this, 91 billion is a lot but this is definitely a negative-sum exchange) but somebody's gonna be holding the bag when this is over, it's not worth it.    Legal territory also questionable, nothing like this has happened before so it's not clear if it's actually illegal or not.  Is it a conspiracy?  Is it for personal gain or just for the lulz?  Is it illegal to manipulate stock prices for entertainment purposes?  This isn't wolf of wall street guys in a smoky backroom, it's the same guys who buy 24-hour puts against Apple to make their friends laugh.

I will stay far away and laugh, because it is very fucking funny, but way too squirrely for me to bet money on. 
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: January 27, 2021, 04:37:14 am »

nothing like this has happened before so it's not clear if it's actually illegal or not.

I mean, market manipulation is generally pretty fuckin' illegal. Isn't that what they eventually picked Shkreli up for? Because he was inciting his Twitter following to crash or inflate the stocks of various companies?

Also, yes. Very big lulz.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: January 27, 2021, 05:00:33 am »

But who do you blame, then? That Shkreli guy was a single person; completely traceable. r/wallstreetbets, however, is this large decentralized blob of people who just happen to be able to play funny tricks with the market through sheer force of lulz.

What, you wanna go after every single person there? I suppose surveillance in the US is pretty strong (just ask Snowden and the EFF), but I'm not sure if arresting everyone who posted there just because they're suspected of manipulating the market would go down very well with... anyone in the US, frankly. I think that would be seen as really dubious, and that ain't gonna end well.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11531 on: January 27, 2021, 10:34:36 am »

Loads of those people aren't even Americans, and even then, how do you prove they weren't just buying in after noticing an increase in stock prices?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:43 am »

That put a smile on me that I haven't forever. I haven't seen wide scale internet destruction like this for nearly fifteen years. Very, very funny indeed.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: January 27, 2021, 10:56:38 am »

Yeah, the whole idea of trying to prosecute r/wallstreetbets reeks of unverifiability. The world can't even ban nukes outright, what chance is there that they'd coordinate a global operation just to stop some people having some fun? And it really only benefits the rich to do that, so I'm sure every not-rich country would object on that basis.

Reddit, as a US company, sure as hell won't ban it; it's protected under free speech, no?

I propose the following: r/wallstreetbets, or rather what they did with Gamestop, is a perfect crime. No provable perpetrators, evidence impossible to link to any perps in the first place, and everyone involved has a perfect alibi: "I just looked at the stock price rising, and I bought in!". Is it, or is there a flaw in this argument? Because any disagreement would be one hell of a discussion, and I want to see that.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: January 27, 2021, 11:07:28 am »

Popcorn. Feels nice to be watching this from a safe distance.

Wish I had a card that's compatible with all the good brokers so I could make some fat stacks off of this. God damn it МИР.

IIRC they plan to make it go up till Friday so the shorts will be forced to sell. I have time to get another card.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:09:15 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 882