Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1565749 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 8582 chuckles and counting
« Reply #8565 on: March 11, 2018, 07:41:00 pm »

Oh, that's brilliant.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:47 pm »

Cooking with Jeff Goldblum

Entirely wholesome in its goldblumness
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »

For a while now, to show respect to the whole genderneutral debate, the German banks adress their customers as 'Kunde' (client (m)), or 'Kontoinhaber' (account holder (m)) regardless of gender.
But now a 80 year old famous feminist, Marlies Krämer, is sueing the Sparkasse, beacuse she wants to be adressed as 'Kundin' (client (f)), or 'Kontoinhaberin' (Account holder (f)). She claims that choosing the masculine form as the standard neutral adress goes against her constitutional right of equal treatment.

<grabs popcorn>
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:26 pm »

Does German have a gender neutral term for 'client' and 'account holder'? Which are already as gender neutral as it gets in English.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »

Fackin’ Europeans behind the times so far their words have pronouns.

An accidental post, but bugger it, I don’t mind looking casually racist on the internet.

I should probably stop doing sarcasm. Evidently I worry about people in 10 years time judging me on my internet posting history.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:28:49 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: March 13, 2018, 09:28:57 pm »

english best language, absolutely zero arguments about gendered words
ZERO
*nudges "they" under the table*
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: March 13, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »

Does German have a gender neutral term for 'client' and 'account holder'? Which are already as gender neutral as it gets in English.

Nah, Germany's really kind of screwed in that manner since they have a German language. Sadly for this issue, I don't think there is a neuter version of client or account holder.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: March 14, 2018, 04:36:42 pm »

I made up a pick up line today.

I am an atheist but you just made me believe in angels.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: March 14, 2018, 04:47:30 pm »

Nah, Germany's really kind of screwed in that manner since they have a German language. Sadly for this issue, I don't think there is a neuter version of client or account holder.
and that's why new words can be created, wonderful thing about phonetic languages, that.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »

There is literally no reason why grammatical gender has to correspond to anything else in the world. Didn't we already settle this issue with "Mädchen"?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: March 14, 2018, 05:06:43 pm »

we need words for referring to male or female though, because without it makes it much harder to describe someone helpfully

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: March 14, 2018, 10:40:14 pm »

There is literally no reason why grammatical gender has to correspond to anything else in the world. Didn't we already settle this issue with "Mädchen"?
That's due to the -chen ending. You would need to rewrite a lot of grammar to get it to work generally.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: March 14, 2018, 11:54:52 pm »

That's due to the -chen ending. You would need to rewrite a lot of grammar to get it to work generally.
I... wasn't suggesting altering more words to have a neuter gender, I was saying that Mädchen, generally translated "girl", has a neuter gender, so we should stop caring what gender words have because any connection to sex is clearly out the window already.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8579 on: March 15, 2018, 01:13:47 am »

we need words for referring to male or female though, because without it makes it much harder to describe someone helpfully

I dunno about German, but in Ukrainian, even inanimate objects have genders. "Nose" is masculine, "hair" is feminine, "eye" is neuter, etc. It doesn't make that much sense, really.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 879