Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1766455 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 8076 guffaws and counting
« Reply #8010 on: November 13, 2017, 12:54:17 pm »

Yeah that's what I mean, it's just a (pretty deserved) bandwagon.  I'm more upset about EA destroying its employees lives, and countless excellent development studios...  than them implementing a technically optional gambling mechanic.  Gambling can be a dangerous vice, but this particular case is hardly the quattuordecuple most offensive thing on Reddit :P

Did you know you can buy hats in TF2?  Just saying, heh.
Edit:  Derp, I forgot TF2 has (sorta popularized?) random "loot crates" where you buy keys.  I undersold the joke a bit.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:56:22 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: November 13, 2017, 12:56:16 pm »

Did you know you can buy hats in TF2?  Just saying, heh.

I never really bothered much with TF2 to be honest, and never liked their buyable hats either.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: November 13, 2017, 01:05:21 pm »

That comment is so dense with downvotes that the downvotes have collapsed into a downvote singularity, creating a downvote event horizon past which even views cannot return.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: November 13, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »

Gambling can be a dangerous vice, but this particular case is hardly the quattuordecuple most offensive thing on Reddit :P

We're up to quintdecuple most offensive thing on Reddit now. The hate that this post is getting is impressive.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: November 13, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »

There may not be very many angry videogame nerds compared to other movements, but their skill at being loud and bandwagoning is unparalleled.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: November 13, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »

Your face.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: November 13, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »

Well it's sitting at -426k downvotes now.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: November 13, 2017, 05:03:33 pm »

A small part of me has to wonder whether anyone at EA is legitimately bothered by that.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »

Whatever poor customer relations emplyee who wrote it, probably.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: November 13, 2017, 05:57:23 pm »

Quote from: one fella named SerpentSailor who said it best
EA is doing something no political candidate or leader could ever do, uniting the world. From the Eastern shores of Asia to the western coast of the americas, one giant fuck you can be heard.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: November 13, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »

Alongside, one supposes, a few isolated "whales" saying "But I like microtransactions! D:"

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »

Looking up some uniform references and I come across this one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: November 13, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »

I get that EA is over-monetizing, but there's nothing offensive or even noteworthy about that comment.  What the hell?

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes.

"You like this unlockable character? Sure you can, you just have to farm currency endlessly for days to have them."
"Or.. you can simply give us your money to get this character instantly!"
There is no pride (as they otherwise claim) to have in this. That's what's offensive to me at least.

For free to play games (i.e. non-subscription) you need to at least have some idea how the economy works. These people are in fact just entitled whiny little bitches who would destroy the game if they got their way.

For $80 at launch (for any AAA quality game) you get a game that works - that's what $80 gets you, always has. And they're not gouging you on that. They're up against hundreds of other AAA titles, they have to be competitive on cost vs what you get. $80 per sale is just what it costs to make the base AAA game. Stuff like being able to play on a server costs extra, because it does in fact cost extra to run.

And that's why they have a variety of ways to unlock gated content, some of which can be short-circuited with money. People who have time can spend time, people who have money but not time can spend money, and they subsidize the people who don't have money or don't wish to spend money. e.g. imagine if they stopped allowing people to leap-ahead with content by paying? Then the game no longer suits so many people. Time-poor people lose the ability to jump-ahead and see the content, thus they have less incentive to play. And without those people paying to unlock the content, the servers can't pay for themselves, meaning they'd have to find other ways to make money, reduce the content, or better still, just close down all the servers since they already made their money on the box sales.

So you can't be Vader out of the box? Big fucking whoop. Perhaps everyone being Vader would just fuck the game's flavor for a start. By making people work to be Vader then being Vader has some value, and you see more of the other characters. Plus, the casuals who pay to be Vader for a day end up paying for everyone else to play for free. for example, tell me how much Vader costs vs a month of WOW subscription? If it's about the same then ... well just pay the fucking money if you want to be Vader. It's the same as you'd pay just to be allowed to play WOW at all.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:09:14 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:49 pm »

I can't believe you're legitimately trying to excuse this.

First: $80. AAA games cost $60 when they came in physical packaging with extraneous material, and charged nothing else to maintain servers, had no microtransactions, and sold maybe one to three substantial expansions. And that still felt overpriced.

Now, AAA games are mostly just copy-paste renditions of The Game template with new proper nouns and textures, mostly sold digitally. And yet they suddenly cost more? And not only is it $80, but they also want you to pay out another $40-200+ for the sooper speshul elite founder early beta access edition, in exchange for a skin and a title. Also, you're going to need to fork over another $40-120 over the course of a year or two for map packs and deliberately OP items if you want to keep playing with other people and not get stomped by other people using the OP items when you don't get them. Oh, and there's also an f2p progression curve where you need to turn the game into a second job if you want to unlock things without opening your wallet, so fork over another $20-200. Don't worry, we're going to release a content update titled "The Game n+1" in 18-36 months where you get to repeat that all over again.

If draining victims players like a capitalistic vampire is necessary to pay for servers on top of the arm and leg they already extract with the initial purchase and mandatory DLC (lol), why is there a healthy selection of free to play games that get by with only selling cosmetics and minor pay-to-speed-up stuff? Shouldn't they all be going full KRMMO where you're expected to spend half your paycheck on the game if they're that much behind? And yet...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:13:51 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: November 13, 2017, 08:11:23 pm »

What do you mean? AAA budgets are higher than ever. They're not saving money with "templates" the way you're suggesting.

Stuff that's online-ready usually costs a lot more than single-player only stuff too.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/01/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game/

If Star Wars: Battlefront II has a similar development cost to e.g. a CoD game, Destiny or Star Wars: The Old Republic, you'd be looking at around $200 million dollars in just the development budget.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:19:06 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 882