Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1745864 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Capitalism and murder
« Reply #2760 on: July 04, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »

Mm, but that sort of attitude is easier to understand with the biographical context. It's hard to trust in human reason and rational thought when you've lived what he did.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: July 04, 2015, 03:47:32 pm »

Maybe it's popular with people who want to say they read it. But then again, in many ways Crime and Punishment is a terrible book, with all the preachy Christian stuff, and the stuff mocking secular values, tacked on for no real reason (e.g. entire chapters of it after the proper ending).

Raskol means schism or split, Razum means "reason" and sophia means "wisdom". So there's this subtext in the book about being split between reason and faith, and Raskol is only saved because he embraces faith. The message is to give up your reason and have blind faith in God in place of your intelligence. Obviously the other message is that if you don't embracing faith then you will end up murdering someone just because.
Honestly, Crime And Punishment is essentially God Is Not Dead, except coming from Orthodox Church, a book, and written by someone with a modicum of talent. FFS, Raskolnikov's philosophy is almost literally Straw Nihilism, even.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2762 on: July 04, 2015, 03:49:41 pm »

I dunno, I wouldn't say a book is terrible because it expresses a viewpoint that I don't like. I'd probably despise it and organise book-burning parties, but that's mostly because I'm actually a Nazi and am thoroughly inconsistent.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: July 04, 2015, 03:52:07 pm »

I dunno, I wouldn't say a book is terrible because it expresses a viewpoint that I don't like. I'd probably despise it and organise book-burning parties, but that's mostly because I'm actually a Nazi and am thoroughly inconsistent.
Viewpoint is one thing, presentation thereof is another. C&P kinda bashes you in the head with its 'ORTHODOX CHURCH GOOD!' message. Or murder you with it to rob your money, as it were.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: July 04, 2015, 08:37:34 pm »

I dunno, I wouldn't say a book is terrible because it expresses a viewpoint that I don't like.
Would you say it's terrible if it literally* makes you fall asleep while reading it?

(*) not figuratively. Though there can be an argument made that it's the sleep deprivation and not the book that makes you fall asleep. Whereas the argument that it's actually serotonin is a silly ploy, and if you resort to it the argument is already lost.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2766 on: July 04, 2015, 09:14:07 pm »

If the book is poorly written or sorely lacking in some way, then it can be terrible. Doesn't really have anything to do with the message.
Viewpoint is one thing, presentation thereof is another. C&P kinda bashes you in the head with its 'ORTHODOX CHURCH GOOD!' message. Or murder you with it to rob your money, as it were.
Although that probably counts as poorly-written. A little subtlety goes a long way.

* Orange Wizard bashes everyone in the immediate vicinity over the head with a sign reading "REFORMED CHURCH GOOD"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: July 05, 2015, 02:43:31 am »

Djokovic vs. Abrams.
Yes I know the Abrams isn't a WWII era tank.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: July 05, 2015, 09:53:12 am »

Original films, do not steal
Nerdo is a 1337 haxxors who falls asleep on his computer. He then dreams of a world where computers rule the earth and use people as space heaters. In his dream, he's a guy that can jump high and say words really slow. He shoots a bunch of people in order to beat the evil computer program Agent Smif and his cronies. In the process, he falls in love with a computer called Trinity.

I wish my parents named me Nerdo so I could have even fewer friends.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: July 05, 2015, 10:46:12 am »

Are negative-number friends imaginary?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: July 05, 2015, 10:50:44 am »

Are negative-number friends imaginary?

No, but the square root of negative-number friends is imaginary.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: July 05, 2015, 03:21:52 pm »

Texas is convinced that Obama is sending the military to take away their bald eagles and cheeseburgers. No Texans, America doesn't hate you because you're white, free and independent; could it be possible that... the world doesn't revolve around Texas? :o :o :o

Among other hilarious witticisms in the article:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: July 05, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

As a Texan, please excuse me as I introduce my palm to my forehead and commit sudoku for the shame this article has brought upon me and my glorious home country of Texas.

Wait what do you mean Texas is not a real country. ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: July 05, 2015, 04:30:21 pm »

Texas is convinced that Obama is sending the military to take away their bald eagles and cheeseburgers. No Texans, America doesn't hate you because you're white, free and independent; could it be possible that... the world doesn't revolve around Texas? :o :o :o

Among other hilarious witticisms in the article:

Whaddonerth you be talkin 'bout, commie? We Texans know what Barack HUSSEIN Obama be up to, ya hear me?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2774 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:24 pm »

Last bastion of freedom o.o7
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 882