Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1565831 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: Capitalism and murder
« Reply #2085 on: April 11, 2015, 05:28:29 pm »

Well they use it to teach programming at my school. I still think it would have been better to learn C#, but that was what we were taught.
Yeah, they used Pascal to teach me programming in school too. I was able to learn a few basic things with some effort. I thought programming was a bit difficult at first.
And then I went to uni, where they teach Python. And so I realized that programming isn't really hard - Pascal is just...Pascal.
Never saw anybody actually use Pascal for projects, though. I volunteer to play the game if you put it up anywhere when you're done, if you'd want to.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: April 13, 2015, 12:01:31 pm »

Nothing is more hilarious than a big macho dude with a beer gut trying to look stern and tough while his little pekinese dog yips away like only a toy can.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:37 pm »

People still use Pascal for stuff and things?
I.... Wager they do  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: April 13, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »

And then I went to uni, where they teach Python. And so I realized that programming isn't really hard - Pascal is just...Pascal.
Never saw anybody actually use Pascal for projects, though. I volunteer to play the game if you put it up anywhere when you're done, if you'd want to.
My university teaches python as well, it's one of the easiest languages to learn IMO.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: April 13, 2015, 05:37:30 pm »

My university teaches python as well, it's one of the easiest languages to learn IMO.
I was about to make a 'Python bites' joke. AND I WOULD HAVE SUCCEEDED IF THIS WASN'T FOR YOU MEDDLING SPELLINGS!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: April 13, 2015, 06:14:26 pm »

The computer science course in my university also switched to python. Used to be java while I was in that course, though.
Java is love, Java is life
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: April 13, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »

Just saw this today... I want one.

The computer science course in my university also switched to python. Used to be java while I was in that course, though.

Also, FUCK JAVA!! Fuck it in it's ear for being a piss poor excuse of a html replacement that became a "programming language". I hate it because it takes WAY TO MANY RESOURCES while running.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: April 13, 2015, 06:29:40 pm »

Java to me always seemed like just the wishy-washy version of C++. I mean it's like they said "lets stop people from doing this set of strange tricky things in C++!" and then removed them without actually replacing them with any way to do the things people were originally using them to do. (Though the fact that it can run on just about anything is rather nice. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:18 pm »

...HTML replacement?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2096 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:18 am »

Javascript replacement?

Oh, wait...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2097 on: April 14, 2015, 08:16:27 am »

I suspect they meant javascript. I mean if Java is a replacement for HTML then surely so is C?

Java might get taught partly because it seems slightly less intimidatingly low-level than C++, at least to me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: April 14, 2015, 01:14:04 pm »

Studying my cell biology, and I noticed that one of the signal pathways we need to know involves a protein called MAP3K. That stands for mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase. Its sole purpose seems to be to phosphorylate mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase (MAP2K), which can then in turn phospohorylates mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), which does a whole lot of things mostly related to gene expression. I'm sure there's a good reason for all of that, but the naming system really hit a wall on that one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: April 14, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »

Studying my cell biology, and I noticed that one of the signal pathways we need to know involves a protein called MAP3K. That stands for mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase kinase. Its sole purpose seems to be to phosphorylate mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase (MAP2K), which can then in turn phospohorylates mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK), which does a whole lot of things mostly related to gene expression. I'm sure there's a good reason for all of that, but the naming system really hit a wall on that one.
When I've been taught endocrinology last semester, it was worse - you're using the trunctated abbreviations, whereas for ours it was MAPK, MAPKK and MAPKKK. Learning there's a kinase that phosphorylates THAT would be a terrifying prospect.

The reason why it's a thing is quite possibly biologists/biochemists dicking around - after all, that's how we get the Sonic hedgehog gene, Pikachurin or the Sneaky Fuckers strategy of reproduction.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 879