Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1766150 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 9701 skittles and counting
« Reply #9540 on: January 07, 2019, 09:07:53 pm »

I was watching American Dad earlier and there was this gag where Stan threw his ham at the wall and watched it flop down. Then later, the ham slice was climbing the wall and Idk why but it was so fucking funny, I lost my shit and my wife thought I was crazy.

Thinking about it, that does seem pretty hilarious.

I think it's due to the absurdity of an inanimate object having a will and being capable of motion, compounded by the additional absurdity of it using its will for a strange, apparently useless purpose.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9541 on: January 07, 2019, 09:42:31 pm »

That's the difference between American Dad and family guy, American Dad still knows at least the basics of comedy

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9542 on: January 07, 2019, 10:37:38 pm »

The truth of the matter is that both understand comedy just are executed different.
Family guy for instance has a ham as its main character. Not much of a stretch

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9543 on: January 08, 2019, 06:24:43 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:30:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9544 on: January 08, 2019, 12:39:51 pm »

The truth of the matter is that both understand comedy just are executed different.
Family guy for instance has a ham as its main character. Not much of a stretch
Any show that thinks it's funny to brutally and graphically run over a whale with a forklift for a minute or teach people how to cut themselves correctly while in the same episode saying the audience is mostly 14 doesn't understand comedy, not to mention all the racism

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9545 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:52 pm »

One time they had Family Guy on in the breakroom at my work, and I saw a one off joke where Meg got shot in the head and replaced with a clone.  This was never reversed or anything and the episode was canon, I guess Seth McFarlane has such little respect for her character was willing to ruin it years into the show's run.  Plus he's always had a weird thing with having women go on dates/have sex with weird little talking animals/babies/aliens.  I don't need that in my life.

Mind you, I've only seen <2 hours of family guy footage in the past year, and any of it could have been the show's jumping the shark moment.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9546 on: January 08, 2019, 04:02:25 pm »

A lot of family guys comedy is of the absurd, slapstick, immature variety aswell, which people tend to either love or hate.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9547 on: January 08, 2019, 09:23:37 pm »

A lot of family guys comedy is of the absurd, slapstick, immature variety aswell, which people tend to either love or hate.
Oh yeah, well, I hate people who love that. I often enjoy comedy of all those varieties, Family Guy's interpretation of them is just pure cancer.
Crude humour requires skill to pull off without just seeming stupid. Family Guy is so devoid of skill or comedic ability that it sucks in and destroys anything funny in its proximity, like a black hole of anti-humour.   

American Dad was pretty much just as bad, from what I saw. The pilot was alright, then after that it went downhill faster than... I don't know, I'm too ill to come up with a decent/amusing analogy. My first thought was the Jamaican bobsled team, but that kind of sledding goes around a track, not down a hill. Also I dunno if they were good at it or not anyway. Then I was gonna go with something 'bout Sisyphus quitting his job, but I couldn't decide on a wording that wasn't clunky. Screw it.

It went downhill fast.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9548 on: January 08, 2019, 10:04:19 pm »

It went downhill, but not nearly as far as family guy did

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9549 on: January 08, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »

True. But we're just talking orders of magnitude at this point.
Booze is Life for Yoink

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9550 on: January 09, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »

Aren’t American Dad and Family Guy both MacFarlane creations?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9551 on: January 09, 2019, 07:54:46 pm »

Yes, but I assume they have different writers, since family guy is one of the worst shows on mainstream television, while american dad is just kind of meh at best bad at worst

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9552 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45:35 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:29:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9553 on: January 11, 2019, 07:36:03 am »

...I am so infuriated right now.
I know you're generally a pretty cool guy, Dragdeler, but that comment just makes me wanna reach through the internet and throttle you. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9554 on: January 11, 2019, 10:27:01 am »

I do, just not family guy, don't have enough experience with American Dad, so was going with what I had heard
Pages: 1 ... 635 636 [637] 638 639 ... 882