Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1748366 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 5678 luaghs and counting
« Reply #5670 on: May 08, 2016, 02:06:55 pm »

We're all domed

DOMED

Ninety minutes after leaving your home, you slide beneath the dome of your destination city. Your car decelerates and heads for an outer-core office building where you’ll meet your colleagues. After you get out, the vehicle parks itself in a convenient municipal garage to await your return. Private cars are banned inside most city cores. Moving sidewalks and electrams carry the public from one location to another.
Thanks Obama, this is just propaganda for private rocket car control
Dwellings for the most part are assembled from prefabricated modules, which can be attached speedily in the configuration that best suits the homeowner. Once the foundation is laid, attaching the modules to make up a two- or three-bedroom house is a job that doesn’t take more than a day. Such modular homes easily can be expanded to accommodate a growing family. A typical wedding present for the 21st century newlyweds is a fully equipped bedroom, kitchen or living room module.
Well we do have modular flat-pack homes and concrete tents but you gotta pitch that shit yourself, no robots to usurp our house building yet
The single most important item in 2008 households is the computer. These electronic brains govern everything from meal preparation and waking up the household to assembling shopping lists and keeping track of the bank balance. Sensors in kitchen appliances, climatizing units, communicators, power supply and other household utilities warn the computer when the item is likely to fail. A repairman will show up even before any obvious breakdown occurs.

Computers also handle travel reservations, relay telephone messages, keep track of birthdays and anniversaries, compute taxes and even figure the monthly bills for electricity, water, telephone and other utilities. Not every family has its private computer. Many families reserve time on a city or regional computer to serve their needs. The machine tallies up its own services and submits a bill, just as it does with other utilities.

Money has all but disappeared. Employers deposit salary checks directly into their employees’ accounts. Credit cards are used for paying all bills. Each time you buy something, the card’s number is fed into the store’s computer station. A master computer then deducts the charge from your bank balance.

Computers not only keep track of money, they make spending it easier. TV-telephone shopping is common. To shop, you simply press the numbered code of a giant shopping center. You press another combination to zero in on the department and the merchandise in which you are interested. When you see what you want, you press a number that signifies “buy,” and the household computer takes over, places the order, notifies the store of the home address and subtracts the purchase price from your bank balance. Much of the family shopping is done this way. Instead of being jostled by crowds, shoppers electronically browse through the merchandise of any number of stores.
Why do they have to get the worst part 100% right

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5671 on: May 08, 2016, 10:18:29 pm »

In the grim dark future of 2008, plastic roads will take automatic flying cars to domed cities
Apart from the obvious sci-fi stuff like flying plastic cars going at 400kph, a lot of this is actually possible with 2008 technology. The problem is that 90% of the population's too poor to afford it.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: May 08, 2016, 11:28:10 pm »

Personally I'm liking the obvious scam advertisements.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: May 08, 2016, 11:41:19 pm »

"NEW SUPER 7-WAY TOOL"

it's a plane on a stick

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5675 on: May 10, 2016, 06:14:57 am »

Once inside the plant itself, the teams encountered a Norwegian caretaker who assisted them in their subsequent movement in the plant. The teams moved quickly to the area where the heavy water electrolysis chambers were located and put their explosives in place. A long time-delay fuse was attached to the explosives and the teams prepared to light it and leave. They left behind a British submachine gun, hoping the Germans would draw the conclusion that the sabotage was the work of British forces. They hoped this would prevent any German reprisals taking place directed at local citizens. Just as they were ready to light the fuse, the caretaker stopped them; he could not find his eyeglasses! Since eyeglasses were very difficult to get, the commandoes conducted a search of the area and found them. They then lit the fuse and left the plant the same way they had entered.
http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/wwii/articles/hitlersheavywater.aspx
They spent hours looking for some guy's spectacles instead of blowing up the heavy water facility

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5676 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59:25 pm »

Watching people new to adventure games is fun to watch.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: May 11, 2016, 04:25:15 am »

There's alread a 40K mod for Stellaris. I laugh joyously more than I do humorously...
That sentence doesn't make sense, but you get the point.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »

Someone linked it on FB. Haven't heard of the site before, why, something special about it?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: May 12, 2016, 07:14:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 882