Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 882

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when l change the title  (Read 1772754 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 499 pages if you have 25 posts per page!
« Reply #12600 on: January 04, 2023, 11:37:48 am »

Which seems to still have predacons (near the end of it, apparently)? I don't think I've meaningfully interacted with the series since approximately when Beast Wars initially aired, but it seems to. You can't escape the furry transformers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12601 on: January 05, 2023, 03:33:38 am »

Nobody escapes the Furryformers, they're furries that transform into different kinds of furries!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12602 on: January 05, 2023, 05:30:56 pm »

Oh man, it's worse than the marketing people seeing what they can get away with, apparently the goofy name of the Sony-Honda automotive joint venture is intentional!

I can't take companies seriously with names like that...

This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12603 on: January 05, 2023, 07:33:07 pm »

Huh. It's somehow at the uncanny meeting place between too chummy stoner and sexual predator. I can think of ways it could be worse, but that's still kinda' impressive...
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12604 on: January 06, 2023, 03:35:48 am »

Okay I'm lost why is it funny?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12605 on: January 06, 2023, 05:42:52 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12606 on: January 06, 2023, 06:10:24 am »

Laughing at Activision Blizzard for not expecting that the game developer they bought to help with WoW is trying to create a Labor Union.

C'mon.... They developer they bought... Their name is 'Proletariat'. What did you expect?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12607 on: January 06, 2023, 07:29:48 am »

Laughing at Activision Blizzard for not expecting that the game developer they bought to help with WoW is trying to create a Labor Union.

C'mon.... They developer they bought... Their name is 'Proletariat'. What did you expect?
COS WE ALL LIFT TOGETHAAAAAA

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12608 on: January 14, 2023, 03:38:16 pm »

Supermarket chain ALDI opened a supermarket without checkout in the city of Utrecht.
Cameras in the store combined with a mobile app for the customer register which products are taken, and the bill is automatically charged.

However, to access the supermarket, customers need to register to the company app, and provide their credit card information for that.

What ALDI seems to have forgotten though is.... People in the Netherlands rarely use credit cards. Less than 1 in 3 dutch people even have a credit card. It is mostly regarded as one of those silly things from the USA that we don't need.
Buying on credit is kinda viewed as a mental problem. Get money first, then buy things.

And those 1 in 3 that do have a credit card most certainly do not belong to the customer class that goes to the ALDI. Poor people go to the ALDI, because it is cheap. Poor people do not have credit cards.

Unsurprisingly, since the credit card is the only accepted payment link for the app, the supermarket has had zero customers so far.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:39:47 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12609 on: January 14, 2023, 04:37:54 pm »

Huh. We have an ALDI in our town(my mom buys her milk there), and they don't have anything like that. They do require a 25˘ deposit to use a shopping cart - you insert a quarter to unlock the cart, and you get it back when you return it. The selection is... interesting. It's not what I'd buy on my usual shopping trip, but stuff I'd browse through and maybe buy, but I wouldn't because I wouldn't go there during my usual shopping trip.

That said, I absolutely abhor this kind of thing. Automatic charging without customer input is a terrible thing, in my opinion. I mean, what's to stop it from charging you for something you pick up, but put back down, if the camera doesn't see you put it down?

I also understand that opinion on credit cards. My mom keeps telling me to buy things with my credit card, except I can afford what I buy and thus shouldn't have to pay more buying with credit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12610 on: January 14, 2023, 05:18:46 pm »

I'm just kinda' curious if netherlands is primarily cash, now (which would be a fairly significant negative t'me, heh). If they're not using a card, what are they using and why isn't the store linking into that instead? Like, I don't have and don't like using a credit card, but I have a debit card which more or less the same functionality, just... not on credit. More convenient than cash, and it's just part of the basic services the bank I use provides.
Ask not!
Ask!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12611 on: January 14, 2023, 05:20:15 pm »

It is indeed a horrible, dystopian idea to have supermarkets work like that. I am happy this experimental location seems to be failing.

The normal ALDI supermarkets are okay-ish though. I buy some of my groceries there once in a while, because they are cheap.
The original concept of ALDI which makes it so cheap, is that they do not spend much time and effort on product display.
It's mostly just racks with the products still in their opened wholesale delivery box.
This way, an ALDI supermarket can run on a barebone staff. No need to hire a dozen highschool kids to keep the shelves filled in a neat and eye pleasing way.

I'm just kinda' curious if netherlands is primarily cash, now (which would be a fairly significant negative t'me, heh). If they're not using a card, what are they using and why isn't the store linking into that instead? Like, I don't have and don't like using a credit card, but I have a debit card which more or less the same functionality, just... not on credit. More convenient than cash, and it's just part of the basic services the bank I use provides.
We are all using bank cards, just not credit cards. They are directly linked to our bank account, you enter a 4 digit 'PIN' code at the checkout's terminal and pay.
We also have ATMs to withdraw cash. Both cash and 'PIN' are accepted methods of payment almost everywhere. Public transport only accepts cards. Some market stalls or pizza delivery services and similar small retail only take cash.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 05:27:54 pm by martinuzz »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12612 on: January 14, 2023, 06:06:07 pm »

Ah. Yeah, bank card and debit card are more or less the same thing. It's fairly common over here for debit cards to actually be able to function as a credit card (up to and including having a credit line it defaults to if for some reason it can't withdraw normally), too... it's somewhat weird that doesn't work in this case. If those bank cards are ones that operate through the major card networks (i.e. they're a visa or mastercard or whatever operating with the bank), there's no reason they wouldn't function just fine where a credit card is needed.
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12613 on: January 15, 2023, 03:26:01 am »

I don't think I'll get any credit cards because they just seem like terrible thing.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12614 on: January 15, 2023, 05:32:50 am »

Ah. Yeah, bank card and debit card are more or less the same thing. It's fairly common over here for debit cards to actually be able to function as a credit card (up to and including having a credit line it defaults to if for some reason it can't withdraw normally), too... it's somewhat weird that doesn't work in this case. If those bank cards are ones that operate through the major card networks (i.e. they're a visa or mastercard or whatever operating with the bank), there's no reason they wouldn't function just fine where a credit card is needed.

Might have to do with... I don't know the words. But basically isn't it the case that since card exchanges don't get sorted immediately, you keep the money you've already "spent" on your account until it gets sorted through the next work day or whenever. So if you go into a store with 20 bucks in your debit card account you could possibly make repeated purchases that each cost less than 20 dollars, but together would sum up to much more?

But then again even if you did they would still have all your information to sue you for fraud. So the only thing they would gain from enforcing credit cards would be that the overflow of purchases would go unto the credit bill automatically.

But yeah I am not into bank mechanics, I might be speaking in misgivings here.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 882