Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skinless - Post-apocalyptic Survival Crafting MUD  (Read 1974 times)

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
Skinless - Post-apocalyptic Survival Crafting MUD
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:33 am »

Skinless is my personal project, my little baby, I have worked on it for one single day(though it is made from heaps of different dead projects, to give it a kick-start) and that one day is enough for me to know that I love working on it.

So what is Skinless? Well, Skinless is my attempt at making a Post-apocalyptic Survival Crafting MUD, think if Civilization, HellMOO, Ultima Online, Minecraft, Fallout Online, S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Boomtown had a baby. The idea is that I produce a realistic, dynamic environment for people to interact with each others in, and to fight them pesky mutants!

So what will the game feature?

Your usual MOO combat system - Basic system implemented, working on adding special moves and such.
A RPG system with levels and stuff
Butchering - In
Crafting - Basic improvisation system implemented
Construction - Not implemented yet.
Scavenging - Not implemented yet.
Salvaging - Not implemented yet.
Procedurally Generated Cities - Not yet in, either. But will very soon once I get everything else done.
Randomly generated loot - Those mutants are crafty as heck, so you will find lots of armor and weaponry on them that cant be found on any other creature.

Spoiler: Screenshots: (click to show/hide)

Devlog:

2nd July 2014:
Took all my old projects, looked through the code to find what I would need, I ripped out all the useful code and created a basic "engine" for Skinless. Got combat and movement working. Soon things will be awesome.

3rd July 2014:
Got crafting working

4th July 2014:
Still working on crafting.

5th July 2014:
Got crafting working, dont want to add too many recipes right now since I am not in the content making phase. Onward to butchering.
Update: Got a basic butchering system working. Now I will take a break. I have been coding since Wednesday so yeah.

11th July 2014:
Got a new rig, its awesome. Been taking a pause from coding because I was busy playing games. I pretty much do this whenever I have nothing else to work on. now to get BYOND working on my new rig and transferring all the code.

18th July 2014:
Got all the code transferred, finished up butchering and I am now working on construction.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 07:59:35 am by Eclectic Wizard »
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Tardigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skinless - Post-apocalyptic Survival Crafting MUD
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »

Looks interesting!  Posting to watch.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:44 am »

Looks interesting!  Posting to watch.

The game will soon be in alpha, I just need someone to host the server, but it has to somehow be passworded or have a list of alpha testers because I want it to be a closed alpha.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:10:01 am »

Looks very dang interesting!
Not sure about the interface myself (I personally prefer the standard 'text on black background' thing for my MUDs/MOOs) but that might be a placeholder, for all I know. The rundown you've given us in the OP sounds ridiculously awesome regardless.

I'll be keeping an eye on this! Maybe even two eyes! Or three, if mutants end up being playable.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Benata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:27:46 am »

Oh yeah I'm not going to stand here you helpless. I'm in, contact me from private if you still think of continuing.

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »

Thanks for all the input! This is great!

Looks very dang interesting!
Not sure about the interface myself (I personally prefer the standard 'text on black background' thing for my MUDs/MOOs) but that might be a placeholder, for all I know. The rundown you've given us in the OP sounds ridiculously awesome regardless.

I'll be keeping an eye on this! Maybe even two eyes! Or three, if mutants end up being playable.
¨

The interface is something the game engine does itself, whenever there is a verb available, there will be a tab with a button in it. It is kind of annoying, but when I get more experienced with BYOND I can disable it entirely, BYOND also supports telnet connections, but I dont know how to set that up(yet) I might make it so you can take control of a robot through telnet so when you are on a computer without BYOND, you dont have to install it to be able to help your friends create a small pocket of rebuilt society.

A note on what I use BYOND for: This is mainly a prototype, I want to create the game quickly, and be able to see input on the game from the players as fast as possible. Then when I am ready, coding experience-wise, I might remake the entire thing in Lambdacore or C++ so that it runs smoother and so you can use Telnet and such. Or I might make the whole thing a fallout styled online RPG using Unity for the client and maybe just plain C++ for the server, or I might set up Curses/Libtcod for C++ and make BOTH the client and server in C++

Oh yeah I'm not going to stand here you helpless. I'm in, contact me from private if you still think of continuing.
I'll send you a PM. Always good with a few extra hands on deck.