Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pushups  (Read 3198 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Pushups
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 05:15:09 am »

Swish some salt water around your mouth once in a while.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 06:19:09 am »

He did go to a doctor, they couldn't prove anything except something that he should eat more iron.
And he doesn't exactly exercise it's just... It's a thing he brags about.
But is there anyone here that does boxing or did it atleast somewhat passionately at a young age/before they developed muscles?
I am wondering since I have been doing boxing on and off since, yes, 8th grade. Basically just throwing punches in the air following the guidelines I got by the trainer that's now moved to another gym. When I started learning how to throw hooks and when I got the proper speed and flow to it, it felt like my lungs were squeezing air out by themselves? (I was not putting any force into the punches and twisting.) Because the feeling felt right, but the raspy/rispy sound didn't. Just something that has been on my mind for five years if that's how it should feel to 'Move Correctly'.

Edit: Unrelated to my own topic but, if my gum has gotten irritated a bit because I tried scratching out food hours ago, is there any way to remedy it?

I've done martial arts (and kick boxing) since I was very young. The air sound when you twist your upper body is completely normal, it's just air being pushed out of your lungs - definitely nothing to worry about unless you are short of breath or it's painful (I went to the doctor about the same thing).

I would really suggest not to do air punching/shadow boxing though, other than slowly to practice correct form. You can damage your arms very badly if you're going at anything like full strength/speed, and not having any resistance at the end of the punch isn't good practice. One of the hardest things in any sort of fight/spar is dealing with the impact of landing a punch and going on to making another which that doesn't prepare you for If your gym doesn't have a punching bag, even mounting a sandbag on a wall and getting heavy bag gloves is better than hitting the air.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

TheMasterTurtle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a turtle and a master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 08:20:44 pm »

At first I thought Retropunch might be one of those 'functional' fitness people but he actually knows what the fuck he is talking about and his advice is really good.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 10:07:54 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:32:47 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 12:11:21 am »

I second the lemon thing. Was taught that in Muay Thai. Thought it was just because my teacher was weird. Just...wear eye protection. Trust me on that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 07:16:36 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried wrist exercises before but they tend to irritate the tendons. I guess that's the issue: how to make the muscles stronger without using the tendons too much. I've heard that if I can get the muscles stronger, it will take some of the stress off the tendons, but I haven't found any way to use one without the other... : /

I'm not strong enough to do pushups on my fists, but maybe I could do them on my knees instead of my toes... Stupid body. >:(

Crush lemons? No, seriously, that's the hand + forearm exercise I learned in martial arts. Put a lemon in each hand and squeeze gently. Build up until you can grab a fresh one and just crush it in your hand.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the market to buy all of their lemons.

Does it matter what size they are? I think the lemons here are fairly small-sized as compared to, say, American ones.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26:52 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:32:39 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:33 am »

How long / how often should you do this? I've been going for 5 minutes at a time, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. My hands are pretty tired now so I'm gonna probably lay off for a while. It's kind of fun. I'm gonna have badass lemon-squishing strength.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:27 am »

And you can make some money selling lemon juice that way too!  :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:01 am »

-
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:32:35 pm by Vector »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:58 am »

Remember that squeezing lemons is a forearm exercise like any other. It will tax your muscles as well as tendons(you can't use one without the other).
Keeping that in mind, start with once or twice a day - until your arms feel too tired to go on. Then give yourself a day off from squeezing.
If you feel like you can do more, go for it. It's not like you need an especially designated slot of time to sqeeze(pardon the pun) it into your daily routine. If you feel like your tendons start hurting, do less. There's no single one-fit-all prescription, you have to listen to your body.
Always remember to give your arms a day's rest.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:39 am »

Thanks Master Turtle!

How long / how often should you do this? I've been going for 5 minutes at a time, squeeze, squeeze, squeeze. My hands are pretty tired now so I'm gonna probably lay off for a while. It's kind of fun. I'm gonna have badass lemon-squishing strength.

My not-very-scientific advice on new exercises is just to do it as much as you can in one sitting (say three times of as many squeezes as you can, with a minute break between each) and then leave it two days and see how sore it is (you want to leave it two days because some people can have a delayed soreness from exercise (DOMS)). Then try to work on finding the the right balance between pushing yourself and going too far.

With these sorts of low weight exercises it's not really that dangerous to over-do it (unless you go mental. If it starts to hurt - STOP.) and so feel free to push yourself a bit. With proper weights get proper help or at least use a cage.

Once you can do lemons -  buy some grip trainers. They're really cheap and having a strong grip is both great for exercise and just impressive in it's own right. I used to know a policewoman who was tiny (literally tiny) and she could bring full grown men screaming to their knees with just one hand around their upper arm because her grip was so insane. Like squeeze your bicep now - it probably doesn't hurt at all - imagine how strong your grip would have to be to make you buckle in agony. Scary thought.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:40 pm »

When you're done with lemons, you can move on to a gripper. At the end of my rehab from breaking my hand, I was up to nearly 140lbs on their super-grippers. ^_^ The brand was Captains of Crush. 140lbs is level 1 of 4.

The world record for grip strength is 332 lbs/150.9kg.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 05:57:07 am »

When you're done with lemons, you can move on to a gripper. At the end of my rehab from breaking my hand, I was up to nearly 140lbs on their super-grippers. ^_^ The brand was Captains of Crush. 140lbs is level 1 of 4.

The world record for grip strength is 332 lbs/150.9kg.

Captains of Crush are awesome!! Starting off with something rubber/padded might be easier on your hands though.
In case there was any confusion, grippers like MaximumZero is talking about was what I was talking about in my previous post, but somehow I wasn't very clear - do what Maximum Zero says!
Pages: 1 [2]