Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Would it be possible to run a fort which had only one family?  (Read 2903 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Would it be possible to run a fort which had only one family?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »

I'm going to try that soon. Only the starting seven and their descendants. Will I still get the first two migrant waves if I start on an island?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 07:17:42 pm »

I do believe so...I think they are completely hardcoded and can not be changed...though...not sure about on islands...never tried it.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »

What if it was so small there are no land tiles on the map edge?
I've never seen anywhere like that, but I haven't looked very hard.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:23 pm »

if you can find that...then I suppose not lol

Tabithda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »

What if it was so small there are no land tiles on the map edge?
I've never seen anywhere like that, but I haven't looked very hard.
I have embarked on two such islands before.  They are(in my experience) very hard to find, and if found are usually larger than 8x8.  Should you find such an island you will not get any migrants at all, no caravans(even from your own civ), no invaders of any sort(except for forgotten beasts in the caverns), and your wild life will be restricted to ocean life plus whatever critters were on the island on arrival.

Such islands are a great place for doing things like this, though they can get a little boring at times after a while.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:09 pm »

Yeah I never tried that cause I would rather just take the 2 waves I dont want instead of getting no invasions ro trade or anything.

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 08:58:20 am »

If you want to ensure family survival, you can always make a dwarven breeding zoo. Get rid of all the migrant adults and put the migrant children of the same age as your own kids in a pit for safekeeping. Make sure they have food and drink, and then when your daughters are old enough to marry, let them into the pit until they become pregnant and then get them out again. This should ensure some genetic diversity.

I feel dirty.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 01:10:12 pm »

Make sure you only have males in your military. Don't want your mothers using their babies as meat shields.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:49 pm »

Make sure you only have males in your military. Don't want your mothers using their babies as meat shields.
Alternately, move all the child-rearing females into their own squad(s) so they can be off duty unless you absolutely need the extra soldiers.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:54 am »

I think a simple dead starting civilization is probably the best bet for trying set ups like this. You have to deal with ten or so migrants total in the first two waves and then never again. You have the added benefit of not completely breaking many of the other game's features such as the ability to trade, get invaded etc.

I would highly recommend avoiding extremely hostile environments such reanimating biomes or necromancer towers when going for low population challenges like these since losing even a single dwarf will cripple the fort for decades.

Just a heads up. When you have a very small number of dwarves it is somewhat hard to get them to become romantically involved because your dwarves are so feverishly overworked that they never get to time to idle and hang out together to socialize and develop bonds.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 10:24:46 am »

Actually, I played a fort from an extinct civ. Somehow, traders came every year. Every season except winter, there were migrant waves made up of the last year's traders plus randoms generated from thin air as they entered the map (no history, confirmed in legends).

You probably want to allow the first couple of migrant waves, both to increase the working population and to increase the pool of marriageable dwarves, but not by much. You should be able to encourage dwarves to socialize using burrows for unmarried dwarves, as long as there are eligible candidates close to their age.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 10:45:02 pm »

This is nearly totally off-topic, but in the game Black and White, you could found a new village with a single pregnant woman, and if she had a boy, then in a few years once he'd come of age mother and son would procreate until you had a village of hundreds which all originated from the one woman. For some reason I gained perverse pleasure out of this exercise. I used to do it while doing World of Warcraft raids (until I realized that if a game's so boring you need to play a second game while playing it, then you're better off not playing it at all). Well, I said it was off-topic :D.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:53 pm »

Purity of bloodline I guess? lol

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:02 am »

Now we wait for [INBREEDING:] ethics
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 12:28:43 pm »

I do believe there is a DFHack script that enables one to set the number of starting dwarves they get. In fact I've used it so I know it's real. You use it on the embark selection screen, before actually choosing a place to embark.
くコ:彡
Pages: 1 [2] 3