Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transferring saves  (Read 787 times)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Transferring saves
« on: July 02, 2014, 01:54:09 am »

I cannot seem to import my fortress from one computer to another successfully.  I have uploaded the 'region1' folder from data/save to Dropbox, and then paste it into the data/save folder on my other computer.  When I go to play it, the game doesn't see it at all -- Create New World is the only option, as if the folder were empty.  Are there more files somewhere I need to transfer?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring saves
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:07:54 am »

I don't know what "paste it into data/save" means.  Make sure you have a data/save/region1/ subdirectory with all the same files that you had on the first computer.  If "paste it" copies the contents directly into data/save/ instead of into data/save/region1/ then that might explain it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »

I don't know what "paste it into data/save" means.  Make sure you have a data/save/region1/ subdirectory with all the same files that you had on the first computer.  If "paste it" copies the contents directly into data/save/ instead of into data/save/region1/ then that might explain it.

Sorry -- what I mean is that I copy the region1 folder from Dropbox and paste it into the data/save folder of the computer I am trying to import it to.  For some reason, the game does not recognize it: so my question is whether there is something else, other than the region1 folder, that I need to import.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 03:27:08 pm »

It would help if you gave us a complete list of every file inside the "unrecognized" region folder on the destination system.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:15:51 pm »

You are using 0.34 (or the same version) on both ends, correct?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

Thanks for the replies, my fellows, but I resolved the issue.  I was only transferring the region folder -- but I tried importing the entire save folder, which is full of files that were not showing up on my other computer for some reason.  Now it works.

I am fairly new to the game, and I had my first effective fortress that is now 10 years old on another computer.  I'll be happy not to have lost it.